Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

Finally got around to doing the demo helicopter mission----liked it a lot....

The helicopter is even more so---now it's on the person-by-person level at times.

Might have to buy AC:AH just for the helicopter missions. Just replace Assault Horizon with Attack Helicopter.

Has anyone used the Thrustmaster HOTAS X with this? Since HAWX 1+2 and IL2 were HOTAS X compatible hope this will be also.

Crapache!!!!! describes this game. Downloaded the demo to answer my own question.

The intermittent "unsupported audio" on an all Sony set-up squelch aside. This demo still sucks.

You can fly through trees and power lines, bump your tail rotor and stabilator against building and water towers without damage.

Hotas X is not supported and can't remap the controls, specifically the collective functions, on the stick so they make sense to fly a helicopter.

No Hotas or control remapping equals no sale.

So I've bought, played, and loved Ace Combat 2 and 3 on the original PlayStation, Ace Combat 4, 5, and Zero on the PS2, and Skies of Deception and Joint Assault on the PSP. I bought and liked 6, although I thought it definitely had some issues. I've finished each of the Ace Combat games I've mentioned (except Joint Assault) at least twice, and in some cases dozens of times.

I finally got around to playing the demo for Assault Horizon, and I frankly hated it. The F-22 mission had too many "leader" type enemies, and too many waves of enemies in general. It was just boring. In previous Ace Combat games, there's usually been something interesting going on during the mission, but there was none of that in AH. Just, "Kill those Flankers. Now there's more of them, go kill them too!"

As for the helicopter mission, the controls just felt clunky. With an exterior view (which I usually use for the planes), the helicopter usually seemed to be between the camera and whatever you're shooting at. With a cockpit view, I couldn't seem to see much besides the interior of the cockpit. An interior, no-cockpit view seemed to work best, but it wasn't great. And the button that sort of locks your aim onto a target always seemed to lock on to some dude hiding behind a barrel or a post or something. Just irritating.

I noticed that there's no health indicator? I got shot up a bit in the F-22 and had a heavy damage warning (screwed up the countermove during the scripted bit where they give you tutorial for it), but after killing the guy who shot me I noticed the screen said "light damage." Don't tell me Ace Combat has gone the FPS route of magically regenerating health?

The Ace Combat fan in me will almost certainly wind up buying the game at some point, but with the other great games that will be jockeying for a place under the Christmas trees of North America, I can't imagine myself buying it at launch.

I personally really liked the heli controls after a few minutes. In short---cross your analog sticks. That should be what you're doing 90% of the time, to really take advantage of how a heli can move. As for tail rotor hittings buildings and being fine--well, I honestly don't think I ever hit anything in the heli...

Heath---yes, it does seem to be "magically regenerating". I wonder if there'll be a realism option---certainly they'll have to change it for Ace mode, or there won't even be an Ace mode if you have effectively infinite health.

well, I honestly don't think I ever hit anything in the heli...

Thats the point. In this game you wouldn't know. Hovering to the right while masked.... can't move anymore must be a building. I went out of my way to find the flaws in the flight dynamics since trees, wires, and buildings are part of the problem flying NOE. Just browning out during landing and a little lateral motion has resulted in the loss of a crew and aircraft. I knew the ASE/EW was going to be wrong, suspected that mud huts would be hellfire resistant, all I wanted was it to fly like a helicopter with my flight controls.

When using a HOTAS, I like to have the throttle set-up as the collective, or thrust control level in a 47, but just like an aircraft left hand equals up and down. Here it is moving the targeting retical and using buttons for house gets big/house gets small don't like it.

Welp, I'll be getting this next week, so I'll let all of you know how it turned out. I've played almost all of the Ace Combats. I felt that X and Joint Assault were more of sequels to the PS2 Ace Combats than 6 was. 6 had the best graphics and replays by far but a short plane roster, boring story and missions that were too long. Online mode suffered since once somebody held R1 picked QAAM in the SU47 and joined the fray, it was pretty much over. The flight dynamics need to be changed, and there is no reason why the F-16 should've been low tier WTF is that. The planes have much better stats in Joint Assault, also helps that you can tune them to your liking with the upgrade parts.

I get the feeling AH won't have the in depth upgrade system of Joint Assault. Plane roster is better than 6 but not as good as Joint Assault and 5.

After a few months I won't be surprised if Namco Bandai makes an HD collection of the PS2 games. Sony likes them and they seem to be win/win combos for both developers and gamers.

I abandoned NOE flying in about the first 10 secs due to sight/targeting issues. I was always above the buildings. Again--I moved constantly to avoid fire, rather than ducking behind obstacles.

Shin--the F-16 has always been low-tier in AC. It's often the first plane available (as it's multi-role) because they rarely give us the F-4 or F-5 as a lower-ranked option (love it when they do). Also, frankly,---they need room to make the Mitsubishi F-2 "that much better than the American F-16" while not making it top-tier. :p;)

I abandoned NOE flying in about the first 10 secs due to sight/targeting issues. I was always above the buildings. Again--I moved constantly to avoid fire, rather than ducking behind obstacles.

Shin--the F-16 has always been low-tier in AC. It's often the first plane available (as it's multi-role) because they rarely give us the F-4 or F-5 as a lower-ranked option (love it when they do). Also, frankly,---they need room to make the Mitsubishi F-2 "that much better than the American F-16" while not making it top-tier. :p;)

HAhaha, I see. You might like Joint Assault then, as the F-16 is close to mid, and the F-2 is comparably much slower(heard it's actually under powered in real life...weird considering the engine it has). Must be a lot of added weight with the alterations. Joint Assault not only has the F-5 and A-4, but a Zero and Hellcat.

After a few months I won't be surprised if Namco Bandai makes an HD collection of the PS2 games. Sony likes them and they seem to be win/win combos for both developers and gamers.

I'd like that. I'd like if they put the PSP games into a collection like the God of War games, too.

I'd like that. I'd like if they put the PSP games into a collection like the God of War games, too.

They would benefit from the right analog stick, much like the MGS/Peacewalker HD collection will. I wouldn't mind X/Joint Assault in HD. Joint Assault is a must have.

The F-2 is overall about 25% bigger than an F-16. Fuselage stretch, bigger wings, bigger stabs.

No wonder it's underpowered! Gotta admit, it does look cool but I bet the proposed CFT's would make it sluggish.

The original F-X design, like a F-16AFTI, looked sexier.

Also apparently the F-16F is in AH. Forgot if it was in Ace Combat 5. Forgot if the XL is in AH...XL rules!

Some notes:

Much harder than the demo.

There is a "ground assault" version of DFM but you can ignore it most of the time and do it "classic AC style", and it's much more fun that way. (it seems to have issues when you're SUPER low to the ground, strafing)

More variation in missions than I expected. AC-130 is totally unique, every heli mission has been different chopper/weapons, just unlocked the B-1B.

You can customize aircraft colors. (not "aircrafts" as the game says--sigh, that's becoming as common as "irregardless")

Yes, there's a few "plot" chases/kills where "enemy dies only after following him through a valley" ---but most are in the first stage you saw in the demo. Really only seen 2 since. It has made me wonder about the final stage though, as you know there's going to be a tunnel of some sort...

F-14 controls correctly! Tailplanes-only with wings swept! F-4 ailerons still wrong though.

Everything's faster, roll/pitch-wise. Even the F-4 is fast. Rafale is TOO fast. Gripen's almost too fast.

Differences among planes seem marginalized. (since everything's fast, and the really fast ones are so fast you never really use it---you only move the stick half-way to slow it down)

Lots of planes unlocked from the beginning. Plane selection seems mainly limited by mission, not so much "what's unlocked". Having the Rafale and F-15E right off the bat seemed kinda pointless---why even have lesser planes then? Haven't used MiG-21 yet, but did have fun with the F-4E. (Sparrows do still rock at long-range, Phoenixes still "not as good as you'd like") IRIS-T is godly.

Everything's faster, roll/pitch-wise. Even the F-4 is fast. Rafale is TOO fast. Gripen's almost too fast.

Differences among planes seem marginalized. (since everything's fast, and the really fast ones are so fast you never really use it---you only move the stick half-way to slow it down)

This is what killed "heroes of the pacific" for me. All the planes(including the B-25) flew alike and the roll/pitch was too fast making it impossible to fly certain planes.

I passed on Ace Combat and picked up Forza 4 instead, based on my dislike of the former's demo and my enjoyment of the latter's. Now that the reviews are coming in, and many of them are quite positive, I wonder if I shouldn't have picked up AC?

My willpower is starting to break on this game. What kind of custom color paint schemes can you set up? More direclty, how close to a Jolly Rodgers paint scheme can you get to with an F-14. And all red F-14 might also be sweet. Also, how's multiplayer?

The default F-14 scheme is basically VF-103. Basically---you are allowed to alter the colors of the patterns already given. The B-1B is going to be 1 color overall based on pattern 1. The F-4E can get quite complex. The F-14 pattern 1 is basically "overall color, and spine/fintips". The Rafale and F-4E are the only planes I've unlocked other colors for, and they do give completely different patterns/options. Nosecones are almost always able to be a separate color.

Basically---you cannot "take a brush and draw" on the plane. You can however change the colors of each aspect. (not necessarily independently though----on the F-4E the shark mouth interior is its own thing, but some planes link multiple things)

I have seen a pure red F-15 with black tiger stripes online, but I don't yet have a tiger-stripe pattern so I don't know what it takes to get it.

I've only done online a bit, but it seems generally similar to AC6, but with more options. Basically--capture the flag, destroy the base, and deathmatch. And a few "co-op versions of campaign missions".

Custom tailfin insignia's would be awesome, but so far MGO is the only game that let's you do that. My plan, either a Joly Rodgers/Skul Squadren F-14, or an all red FIREBOMBER F-14...if I pick the game up that is. The Last Frontier mini-game that comes with Sayonara no Tsubasa is both heftily priced and more what I want to play, which is keeping me from buying it now.

My PS3 copy shipped from Amazon a few days ago. Got it at the $44.99 price awhile back and with the $10 credit it's a $35 game. Can't wait to try it. Hoping that Thrustmaster PS3 stick works with it since it's only $33 on Amazon. My AC5 stick is all yucky with the rubber having deteriorated into a sticky mess.

Edited by Gaijin

I've heard people saying that the old sticks aren't supported actually, but I haven't seen anything official. My guess is that it'll support the more recent Saitek stick made for the PS3 and 360, but I have serious doubts about anything like the old hotas sets.

All in all... If I ever do decide to get this, I'm waiting till this hits $20 or so. It's probably worth it to have another aircraft based game, but if the review comments I've read are anything to go on, this just really is not an Ace Combat game, despite the title. I just have no interest in most of the advertised features of this game, and the thought having to pay extra for aircraft that used to be unlockables pisses me off to no end. Plus, I'm sick of people completely ignoring the thought of split screen play.. if they expect me to buy a second console just so I can play the game with my brother, they're freaking nuts.

Selling Idolmaster schemes with screwy stats is one thing, but limiting the aircraft you can fly by how much you pay is just unforgivable in a game that caters specifically to aircraft fanatics. Their fanbase is small enough already, and actions like that are only going to make it smaller.

Has anyone ever used this stick?

http://cyborggaming.com/prod/v9stickps3.htm

It claims compatibility with Hawx and other flight sims (but I guess AC is too new yet).

It's an awesome looking and feeling stick in person (I used two of them back when they were PC sticks and ripped them apart to just use the stick portion for the cockpit of the futuristic V-22 helicopters I designed for Resident Evil 4: Afterlife).

It's an awesome looking and feeling stick in person (I used two of them back when they were PC sticks and ripped them apart to just use the stick portion for the cockpit of the futuristic V-22 helicopters I designed for Resident Evil 4: Afterlife).

Oh man, I remember that. That was you? awesome.

I beat the game last night and now that I finished it I feel let down. At first I thought DFM wouldnt be too bad for the gameplay but I was wrong. It seems like the developers went out of their way to make you rely on it. One example is when you pass regular enemies head on and then find out that they almost instantly pulled a 180 and are shooting at you is crazy. It makes you have to use the counter move just to get rid of them. And then you repeat for the next one in line. And DFM seems to twitchy. I know jet combat is high speed, but there is a limit to how quickly they change direction and I sometimes got disoriented and crashed into the ground when I lost a lock. Combine tthese with having to chase down bombers on a time limit and it can get tiresome quickley. I thought the move to the real world was interesting and wouldnt mind seeing this trend continue, but with a mobetter story. As one reviewer put it, the plot was almost lifted directly out of the first modern warfare. So all in all, Im dissapointed but what do all of you think?

Sorry guys, but I can't stand the dog fighting mode in this new version of ace combat. The end

This is first time ever I am not getting ace combat....

I think I'll do the same or at least wait until the price drops. I've seen most of the missions on youtube as well as the cutscenes and that will hold me for awhile as I have played the demo. :(