Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

The game also suddenly becomes Resident Evil. :p

I guess I could throw in Resident evil afterwards, and create a backstory for them mixing together, LOL.

On a different, related subject, I know Kawamori did one of the jets in it. Anybody know of a link to get any line art of it?

So I preordered the game very early on, and just a month from release, I got my hands on the demo. Canceling order! Except that I didn't... Go me for forgetting to cancel and go Amazon for shipping early, I now have a sealed copy (still packaged) sitting on my printer. I'm still deciding whether or not I should keep the darn game...

From what I've been reading and watching, multiplayer is where the game really shines...

and here's a little bit of fail...

A shame that the game doesn't support flight sticks.

Edited by shiroikaze

.... Eight dollars?

I mean, it looks neat / badass / wacky and still cheaper than the Japanese price... but $8?

Except for the intakes and a vertical fin, the ASF-X looks along the lines of a FA-1 Fern from Yukikaze.

Which is not bad, but for $8 should get something like this 1/72 model not DLC.

ASF-X_Shinden_II_1-72_Scale.jpg

2004513193227.gif

Edited to add photos

Edited by Fly4victory

Now that is a game I would get on release day. B))

Found on Gamespot forum that ACAH doesn't support any flight control stick. Neither the HOTAS X on PS3 nor the AC6 stick on X360. :angry:

This just became a $9.99 or less purchase from the unloved bin at Walmart.

What?! I can't believe this... waiting all these years and what a let down. That's definitely the last nail in the coffin for me - you just can't fly a plane with your thumbs?!!

VMFA-232 is listed in the game's credits---not sure for what. There is no Legacy Hornet in the game, so I figure Namco is "saying thanks" as best they can this way. (though again---no Legacy Hornet?)

VMFA-232 skin for the F/A-18F, DLC 320 Microsoft points

14l0foh.jpg

Wait.. ok, nit-picky mode on, and it's stupid because I really shouldn't care.. but do they realize the sparrow has been out of service for a while now? :p

But yeah.. this can't hit the bargain bin fast enough, if only because I want the development team to get a face full of "what the hell were you thinking??" from their higher ups.

I mean.. I can understand adding fancy content. But the trend of neverending DLC needs to die. I'm so sick of it, I may have to go back to hawx, just to see what's become of it.

Honestly.. I might do just that. It's been out long enough, the pc modding community might have made something worthwhile out of the engine. Really, that whole charlie-foxtrot on the Ubisoft forums when the pc community figured out how to unlock the DLC was hilarious. The dev team had to be sitting there with a mile-wide omelette on their face.

I guess the fun thing to think about now.. when people finally develop emulators of the current gen consoles, I wonder how hard the DLC will be to unlock? :huh:

Hawx could have really gained some market position but their customer service and initial development was really bad. It was the PC hackers that made something of it but if you are a Yukikaze Mave fan someone made the Mave to use in Hawx pc. Non-standard aircraft are fun. I really enjoy having the YF-19 and Super Sylph in Microsoft FSX. Sub-orbital IFR to Hawaii is interesting just have to watch the dynamic coupling on approach.

cap2009-4-8_22-19-20-234.jpg

I am not opposed to expansion disks with new aircraft and more missions. I like expansion if the base game is a good program but I want a physical disk so when my system fails so I have a backup.

Plus other gaming forums have talked it to death but don't announce DLC content in September for a game being released in October. Good or bad business idea... doesn't matter...the anti-DLC crowd will not buy the initial release. They may have been on the fence about risking their money to see if the game is any good but then are pushed off by a cash cow plan before the game is on the street.

The thing that turned me off on ACAH was this marketing plan and failure to answer a simple question.

"The Phantom II aircraft is going to be exclusive only to the Limited Edition, so you might as well place your pre-orders now while stocks last."

It was very simple in the beginning. I didn't care about close combat, DLC, or exclusive aircraft that were included in all prior AC. The only thing I cared about was, "will Hotas X on the PS3 work with ACAH?" and I get... buy from us now to guarantee you get an F-4.

My answer was very simple a thanks but no, Hawx and Hawx2 both support Hotas X and got both games for less than $20, I can wait.

Since it has come out that the Hotas is not supported. This is now a $9.99 game if purchased at all.

The marketing and development team do need a good lecture. First for AC6 Xbox 360 exclusive with flight controls and then ACAH no Hotas support for hardware that is supported by what should be lesser games.

Its not that hard... just make the ACAH compatible with a Hotas and have player options to remap buttons and AC6 didn't sell well because you released it on the wrong machine. All your fans have PS3 systems because your software has always been on Sony systems.

Edit: Just to end on a high note. I will buy a model kit of the ASF-X, they can re-release the ADF-01 Falken and introduce a model of the ADF-X Morgan. I willing spend money I don't have for plastic dust collectors.

Edited by Fly4victory

So I finally cracked open my copy and I'm on the fence on whether I really like it or really dislike it. Hope that the DLC gets packed into a bundle at a discount for PS+ at some point. Haven't tried multi-player yet. It's a nice game for expanding the niche, but at t he same time alienates the hardcore AC fans in many ways.

I think I could handle the "spin off" AC's as being non-numbered and there being a true AC7 as well.

Wait.. ok, nit-picky mode on, and it's stupid because I really shouldn't care.. but do they realize the sparrow has been out of service for a while now? :p

But yeah.. this can't hit the bargain bin fast enough, if only because I want the development team to get a face full of "what the hell were you thinking??" from their higher ups.

I mean.. I can understand adding fancy content. But the trend of neverending DLC needs to die. I'm so sick of it, I may have to go back to hawx, just to see what's become of it.

Honestly.. I might do just that. It's been out long enough, the pc modding community might have made something worthwhile out of the engine. Really, that whole charlie-foxtrot on the Ubisoft forums when the pc community figured out how to unlock the DLC was hilarious. The dev team had to be sitting there with a mile-wide omelette on their face.

I guess the fun thing to think about now.. when people finally develop emulators of the current gen consoles, I wonder how hard the DLC will be to unlock? :huh:

I got some beef with how some companies handle DLC. Like how content with the shipped game is literally locked away until you buy the DLC. Basically making you pay twice for a new title. Day 1 DLCs fall into that. And not to mention when a company releases an "expansion" almost every month. That screams cutting back on what should've been a complete game in an effort to milk customers even more.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does DLC stand for?

Nevermind, found out "downloadable content". As someone whose most modern game console is a PS2, I've never had to put up with this particular blight before.

On another note, the new December issue of Dengeki Hobby magazine has a multi page article featuring a scratch built model of the Kawamori designed fighter for Assault Horizon.

Graham

After reading all the negative stuff about Assault Horizon, I'm going to save my cash for something else. What ticks me off the most is all this damn DLC BS. The companies are just shamelessly milking customers, making us pay for what should have been included in the game in the first place.

Those extra missions in RE5 should have been included, but no, they make you pay extra for one simple reason...because they CAN.

Graham, thanks for the heads up on the Dengeki Hobby magazine. I hope it is as good an article as the VF-0 from a YF-19 was a few years ago.

Have to cry foul on the Engage Planet Kiss DUM idea. It is too good an idea to get my money. The love child of a YF-19 and Ed-209 is a great idea.

Yes, some flight sticks are that good. My Hotas cougar on PC is great for flying since it is fully programmable. Really wish that Hotas X on PS3 would work with the old Ace Combat games from the PS2. PS2 games on the retro-fully emulating PS3 don't recognize the Hotas X. Yet, I would rebuy the old AC titles for the PS3 not for the HD but Hotas compatibility and button reprograming if it was offered.

IMG_2541.jpg

AllControls.jpg

This is the only way to fly when stuck on the ground.

Graham, thanks for the heads up on the Dengeki Hobby magazine. I hope it is as good an article as the VF-0 from a YF-19 was a few years ago.

Have to cry foul on the Engage Planet Kiss DUM idea. It is too good an idea to get my money. The love child of a YF-19 and Ed-209 is a great idea.

Yes, some flight sticks are that good. My Hotas cougar on PC is great for flying since it is fully programmable. Really wish that Hotas X on PS3 would work with the old Ace Combat games from the PS2. PS2 games on the retro-fully emulating PS3 don't recognize the Hotas X. Yet, I would rebuy the old AC titles for the PS3 not for the HD but Hotas compatibility and button reprograming if it was offered.

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc508/dasboat6/IMG_2541.jpg

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc508/dasboat6/AllControls.jpg

This is the only way to fly when stuck on the ground.

Very nice!

Never seen any TM-HOTAS paired up with a laptop until your pics. I would get a 24"/27" monitor for it.

To play Mechwarrior-games.

Still, definitely would be awesome if AC supports that setup.

Glad you like the chair. I wish the cougar worked with the PS3 but sadly only on the PC. I do have a Toshiba flat screen and a nice gray and black table so the secretary desk was replaced and laptop out of view.

The Hotas for the PS3 that I have is the X.

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-Flight-Stick-Pc/dp/B001CXYMFS

The X is decent enough but pales in the shadow of the cougar. The X is not programmable on the PS3 so if the game doesn't have button remapping you may not like what you get. But the X works with Hawx, Hawx2, and IL2. I tried Gundam Crossfire with the Hotas X and didn't like it. If I remember correctly the throttle was look up and down when I would have liked it walk forward and back.

X did work with the demo of ACAH but the throttle should have been the collective, up/down, but that was two buttons with the throttle being pan view. Not the way to fly a helicopter and definite danger for negative habit transfer.

Cougar has been replaced by the Warthog.

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Hotas-Warthog-Joystick-2960720/dp/B00419ZUXS/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1319918396&sr=1-2

I haven't tried it but I like the new twin engine throttle.

Man this game is awesome. Played against what I believe is a MWer just today on XBL. Of all the reviews I saw, GT.com had the most reasonable one. Multiplayer is awesome, it just sucks when you have shitty people who can't do anything more than try and lead you into the ground during DFM. I know I have enough skill to be able to shake somebody or perform a counter. I wonder if it sold well enough to warrant another since their approach was to steal games from the FPS fanbase with some very Hollywood-like scenarios and COD/BF-like themes and aesthetics. My favorite jet has to be the Rafale for me, although I managed to slaughter quite a few people and hold onto second place for a bit with a POS plane like the Su-24.

Honestly.. I can't believe they stuck that splatter cam crap in multiplayer. Is there even an option to disallow that? That, and the counter maneuvers.. if I wanted to be turning backflips at the push of a button, I'd go play Starfox.

I mean, I understand why some people enjoy it, but I generally stay far away from any game that caters to that type of player, and I'd rather have to shake people off with something called skill.