Yamato 1/60 VF-22S Thread

VF5SS

• 2 weeks later...

God, I love the design and scheme, but recently i had to transform it back to fighter mode so I can pack it up and what a nightmare! This is one Valk you constantly have to fiddle with. The last time I had touched it prior to yesterday was 8 months prior!

Toynami agents working at yamato were responsible for that piece. Better get graham on the case.

Ha ha! :)

Seriously, Toynami has gotten soooo much better. Their 1/100 Regults are AWESOME. And their Beta fighters are superb (I do have a few gripes, but it is close to being a true masterpiece toy).

I just won a VF-22s Max on eBay for about 100 less than everyone is selling it for! I cannot wait to get this baby! Of course, Miria is my favorite, so I know once I get the Max, I'm going to have to get the Miria. :)

Back to the subject of erosion, it is actually a very common problem with a lot of toys using diecast. Even if the toy is NOT metal, sometimes just the screws will rust. Worse, a rusted screw or piece of metal can yellow plastic. So, even if you keep your collection packed in a box, it's a good idea to check on it from time to time.

Takara's own Masterpiece line, their Megatron was plague with "cosmic rust" (erosion in human terms).

Edited by ae_productions

Um Toynami hasn't gotten that much better. Thier best product was produced by someone else (Beagle) and yes the Beta is great but hell they can't even fix the QC issues on thier Alphas as proven by the failed line, specifically the Maia Alpha.

• 3 weeks later...

Is a YF-21 prototype No.1 gonna happen??(brown and yellow paint scheme,sleeker cockpit-never animated.Ref-macross mecha mannual-M+)

Edited by troyness

Um Toynami hasn't gotten that much better. Thier best product was produced by someone else (Beagle) and yes the Beta is great but hell they can't even fix the QC issues on thier Alphas as proven by the failed line, specifically the Maia Alpha.

I still disagree. If you look at a VF-1 MP vs. the Alpha MP, the Alpha is a much, much better toy. Is the Alpha a great toy, hell no. But compared to the VF-1, hell yes.

Yes, the Cyclones were produced by Beagle, but the Betas were not. The Betas were Toynami. Now, the Betas are not a perfect toy either, but honestly, it's pretty damn close. I *LOVE* mine. They look amazing on a shelf in either mode, and they kick the crap out of the lousy CM's. The 1/100 vinyl Battlepods are also a fantastic toy, and probably the BEST Macross related toy you can find in that price range. As far as their inability to fix the Alphas, I think the design of that toy is just over engineered and there isn't much anyone can do to fix it. I think it's time they started over from scratch on that mold. Or, as Jenius suggested on Anymoon, they scrap the die cast, and just use a good plastic.

Back on subject, I got my Max VF-22s. The toy is a bit unique in how it transforms. I really love it over all, but I do feel they cut some corners on three things. One, the guns should be able to store on the internals on the belly of the plane. It looks as if they retooled those panels, they would fit, and would still clear the landing gear. Two, it needs a blast shield. And three, the nose really needs to lock down in Battroid.

But I am being picky.

Overall, it's just beautiful. Especially in fighter mode. It really looks fantastic on a shelf. And the 22s head is just kick @$$. Very happy. I cannot wait to get the Millia.

I still disagree. If you look at a VF-1 MP vs. the Alpha MP, the Alpha is a much, much better toy. Is the Alpha a great toy, hell no. But compared to the VF-1, hell yes.

Yes, the Cyclones were produced by Beagle, but the Betas were not. The Betas were Toynami. Now, the Betas are not a perfect toy either, but honestly, it's pretty damn close. I *LOVE* mine. They look amazing on a shelf in either mode, and they kick the crap out of the lousy CM's. The 1/100 vinyl Battlepods are also a fantastic toy, and probably the BEST Macross related toy you can find in that price range. As far as their inability to fix the Alphas, I think the design of that toy is just over engineered and there isn't much anyone can do to fix it. I think it's time they started over from scratch on that mold. Or, as Jenius suggested on Anymoon, they scrap the die cast, and just use a good plastic.

Back on subject, I got my Max VF-22s. The toy is a bit unique in how it transforms. I really love it over all, but I do feel they cut some corners on three things. One, the guns should be able to store on the internals on the belly of the plane. It looks as if they retooled those panels, they would fit, and would still clear the landing gear. Two, it needs a blast shield. And three, the nose really needs to lock down in Battroid.

But I am being picky.

Overall, it's just beautiful. Especially in fighter mode. It really looks fantastic on a shelf. And the 22s head is just kick @$$. Very happy. I cannot wait to get the Millia.

I disagree, politics aside, the VF-1 MPC(starting with Ben), was a decent toy, it just wasn't even close to being the most accurate at the time, and at the time, was very dated. Nonetheless, I found it to be a much better toy to the V1 1/60(but doesn't hold a candle to the 1/48 and V2 1/60). The Alpha MPC is a very sour lemon in comparison. The VF-1 MPC will never win awards for innovation and originality but it is much more sturdy and much more solid/stable than the Alpha MPC.

Also I may have misread but I thought I heard that the 22's nose does lock down in battroid mode.

the 21/22 nose does lock down.

The alpha would be a better toy if the plastic didn't have the strength of a stale brownie. It literally crumbles apart over time... which is the only thing the MPC vf-1 has over it. Otherwise that POS is a floppy mess in every mode.

Just to chime in, let's not forget that the Beta was engineered/designed by Aoshima(sp?). I still give Toynami major props for finally releasing the Beta, but we still have to give credit to where credit is due.

Getting back on topic, I recall a number of people on the boards (maybe even Graham himself) saying that it would have been impossible to have the gunpods internally mounted and keep the fighter profile as sleek as it is on the VF-DoubleDeuce.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all, I've finally gotten one of these valks myself and of course I've been spending all night doing transformations. I'm on my way back from battroid to fighter and I've gotten stuck at the very end, where I need to put the legs in place. I've been using VF5SS'

as a guide, and I've gotten to the point in the guide (about 6 minutes in) where he is disengaging the diecast bar that the legs are attached to (just before he starts to put them into their proper place). My problem is that I'm not sure which way I should be pushing the bar in order to disengage it, common sense tells me I just need to push down on it, but it feels very firm and I don't want to use too much force. Being the idiot that I am, I can't remember what the original position of that bar was. :wacko:

Also, getting the backpack to lock back in with the nose of the aircraft was very scary, I thought for sure that the little tab on the middle of the back was going to get snapped off!

EDIT: Haha, success! I watched peolesdru's YF-21 transformation video, and saw that I just needed to go backwards in the transformation a bit so I could get a better hold of the bar to disengage it.

Edited by Keiichi

• 2 weeks later...

Max and Miria have arrived to accompany Gamlin! For some reason, I just love the white highlights on M&M, especially that stripe on the tail. Poor Gamlin, however, feels a bit like an odd man out now, going to need to get a YF-21 or something to keep him company. Or perhaps Yamato has a Mylene VF-11MAXL in mind for after the VF-19 Kai? I'm sure Gamlin would prefer that! :lol:

22sb.jpg

Had a choice between the VF-22S and VF-19 (hi-metal) that's on sale in amiami and chose the VF-19 because my Gamlin had issues locking completely at the bottom in fighter mode. One side would lock but the other side would have get loose. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong?

I have examples (1/60,1/48,VF-1,VF-0,...) of all the yamato valkyrie toys and this is the only one that had locking issues.

Edited by stormshadow0621

Max and Miria have arrived to accompany Gamlin! For some reason, I just love the white highlights on M&M, especially that stripe on the tail. Poor Gamlin, however, feels a bit like an odd man out now, going to need to get a YF-21 or something to keep him company. Or perhaps Yamato has a Mylene VF-11MAXL in mind for after the VF-19 Kai? I'm sure Gamlin would prefer that! :lol:

22sb.jpg

It looks like you havent pulled the legs out properly on your VF-22's. The inner leg bit near the feet should slide out more.

What's the little blue guy on the left there?

Haha, like charger69 hinted, he's a RGZ-95 ReZEL, most recently appearing in the Gundam Unicorn OAV. He's from the Gundam Fix Figuration Next Gen toy line and has a transformation as well, I like it quite a bit.

Had a choice between the VF-22S and VF-19 (hi-metal) that's on sale in amiami and chose the VF-19 because my Gamlin had issues locking completely at the bottom in fighter mode. One side would lock but the other side would have get loose. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong?

I have examples (1/60,1/48,VF-1,VF-0,...) of all the yamato valkyrie toys and this is the only one that had locking issues.

Do you mean that one of the large panels on the bottom had trouble locking? There's a couple reasons I can think of why that may be. The most likely culprit is that your legs are not laying down perfectly flat. I had a LOT of trouble doing this reliably at first until I discovered all the tiny things that can cause that to happen. First, make sure that the extra gerwalk joint at the knees have been completely retracted. That joint is very tight and can take some force to make sure it is pushed in all the way, I had one occasion where I thought I had retracted it properly but there was actually one more 'click' to go. Also, both shoulder armors on the arms needs to be angled up towards the nose of the plane, if they are angled down towards the engines it will block the legs from laying in their perfect spot as well. Lastly try to check that the fingers of the hands are not blocking the feet from laying down flat as well.

It looks like you havent pulled the legs out properly on your VF-22's. The inner leg bit near the feet should slide out more.

They do indeed slide out more, but I read somewhere that they are only supposed to be completely pulled out for gerwalk mode, while for battroid you retract them one click for better stability. This kind of reduces the angle on the ankles and it really does make it easier to balance the battroid when you do this, as the battroid is pretty top heavy but the feet are so tiny.

OT - than GFFN Rezel looks nice... still pissed I wasn't able to find one during my last trip to HK. would look great w/ my shcmpro Unicorn. i'm still waiting for hlj to put theirs on sale...

on-topic... i wish i could afford these, esp. at these ridiculously cheap prices... but i just can't squeeze it in my budget right now w/ all the stuff i just bought and all the new stuff that's coming out... plus, i'm one of those guys who just has to buy both M&Ms at the same time... for now i just have to be content w/ my YF-21 and M&M VF-1s...

Edited by m0n5t3r

OT - than GFFN Rezel looks nice... still pissed I wasn't able to find one during my last trip to HK. would look great w/ my shcmpro Unicorn. i'm still waiting for hlj to put theirs on sale...

I've got the Unicorn as well and they do indeed display quite well together, though the Unicorn perhaps has a bit of... crotch armor envy :lol: . I really love how the Rezel is marked 'R008', Romeo 8, just like Riddhe's suit in the OVA.

They do indeed slide out more, but I read somewhere that they are only supposed to be completely pulled out for gerwalk mode, while for battroid you retract them one click for better stability. This kind of reduces the angle on the ankles and it really does make it easier to balance the battroid when you do this, as the battroid is pretty top heavy but the feet are so tiny.

I dont think thats correct. The manual for the YF-21 shows that its the gerwalk without the inner legs extended and the battroid with them fully extended.

I dont think thats correct. The manual for the YF-21 shows that its the gerwalk without the inner legs extended and the battroid with them fully extended.

Ah-hah gotcha, never opened the manual, heh. Everyone is in fighter mode at the moment, but next time they're in battroid I'll be extending them legs :).

Poor Gamlin, however, feels a bit like an odd man out now, going to need to get a YF-21 or something to keep him company.

His Diamond Force subordinates (Dick and Morley) scheme should be interesting. If it was like the VF-17's, replace the yellow with blue...

• 2 weeks later...

like you guys i love the YF21 but for some reason i just cant learn to like Yamato's versions. its form lacks the intensity & aggressiveness, imo. this prevented me from buying them.

yf21.jpg

if only yamato could make a some sort of revisions like the above pic then i will buy day one. but for now my YF19 will be lonely.

Hi, guys! I was just having a look on the old posts… It’s true that this toy looks aggressive and menacing; does anybody know which version is it?

Hi, guys! I was just having a look on the old posts… It’s true that this toy looks aggressive and menacing; does anybody know which version is it?

It's a D"stance model kit, not actually a toy.

You can see more pics of it here.

Edit: removed a misplaced word.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

The D stance has a slightly better battroid mode (although personally I think the legs look worse) but it comes at the cost of an absolutely hideous fighter mode and even though it technically has the same gimmicks as the Yamato it doesn't pull them off as well.

Edited by anime52k8

I think it's a nice anime YF-21 battroid but Yamato's 1/60 is till the definitive representation of the mecha for me

I noticed my Milia VF-22S nosecone doesn't lock in battroid. There's a glitch on one of the tabs on the metal hinge (the double hinge bar that moves the intakes up when transforming to battroid) that is supposed to lock the cockpit down and it prevents the cockpit to lock on one side, making the whole cockpit piece unpeg very easily. It can be fixed but I'd have to scratch the paint on the metal piece to take away the excess paint.

I also noticed a clean 5mm long "cut" on the hip piece from the where the balljoint articulation is inserted to the seamline on the left hip piece(the other half of the hip is OK). It doesn't alter transformation or durability though but I thought I'd give the head's up, just in case someone else wants to check there's.

Edited by Frogze