My go-to video whenever I have some Star Fox nostalgia..

Although the original game was revolutionary at its time, it can look too dated today. This remake video somehow hits the right spot on what I imagined & wanted it to be while playing it all its blocky polygon glory back in the day. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I could use a little assistance. I was digging in my garage and I came across my old school consoles, mostly my old NES from 88, PS1 and PS2 and Dreamcast. 
My setup at home is using one of those cable concealment wall deals and while I can easily find HDMI adapters for the consoles, all of the adapters themselves apparently need power which seem to use USB only, no AC Adapter for some reason to send image and audio to the TV. Hell right now I'm even trying to find a decent HDMI switch box cause right now I've got almost 12 freaking consoles in my armory but only 4 ports on the TV. 
Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

I never thought this guy would ever have a toy made of him:

52t02304_2.jpg.f058f18541811f6176620e6332449849.jpg

52TOYS is making one of the Captain himself, as well as the rest of the gang, so of course, I preordered them all:

52t02302_0.jpg.422ad0387ef485d0e7a58b4353f74aca.jpg

I would wish for a larger scale, but beggars can't be choosers when it comes to merchandise of forgotten beat 'em up games.  This only gives me hope that 52TOYS will venture into Strider Hiryu territory.

2 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

I thought Grogu piloting IG-12 was a very familiar concept, but couldn't put my finger on it at that time. THIS is really what I wanted to remember haha.. cool that they making figures from this game.

33 minutes ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

This one looks to be pretty cool, it's quite reminiscent of Wolf Fang, Assault Suit Leynos/Valken, and even Elevator Action Returns:

Seeing this does take me back to 16-bit console gaming :good:

3 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

52TOYS is making one of the Captain himself, as well as the rest of the gang, so of course, I preordered them all:

I would wish for a larger scale, but beggars can't be choosers when it comes to merchandise of forgotten beat 'em up games.  This only gives me hope that 52TOYS will venture into Strider Hiryu territory.

Saw these up last week and while I’ve never played the game they were from I do remember Captain Commando in a few different forms as the mascot for Cap Com back in the day . Hopefully they get some more characters from the brand.

1 hour ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

This one looks to be pretty cool, it's quite reminiscent of Wolf Fang, Assault Suit Leynos/Valken, and even Elevator Action Returns:

This one does look pretty fun. I was just playing Assault suit Valken on the switch as well as target earth/ Leynos. This looks like a must have

4 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

They are 3.75" figures no? That is a bummer. I would have bought a 6" Captain Commando for my MvC2 shelf.

9 hours ago, Scyla said:

They are 3.75" figures no? That is a bummer. I would have bought a 6" Captain Commando for my MvC2 shelf.

Yep, Cap was a mainstay in my team during the MvsC days, and a Marvel Legends sized figure of him would be grand.  My guess as to why this lineup is that tall is maybe they want to keep them in scale with some level boss toys in the future? Or maybe toys of those bipedal mechs the team uses as mounts?

Speaking of old school mecha gameplay, I never would have guessed this game would get released again:

It's going to be part of City Connection's tribute to select Saturn games.  This one is gonna be a treat for me since I only heard about the game in import gaming magazine ads back in the day and never got to play it.  It's going to be on Steam next year and even if doesn't have subtitles, I'm buying it.

Wow, City Connection is hitting all the right buttons for me right now.  Back in the early 80's, I, as a wee arcade rat, got to play the side-scroller Aeroboto (Formation Z) and loved it because you get to pilot a transforming jet, and this was right around the same time Robotech was on the air.  Well a remake is now planned for next year:

2 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Wow, City Connection is hitting all the right buttons for me right now.  Back in the early 80's, I, as a wee arcade rat, got to play the side-scroller Aeroboto (Formation Z) and loved it because you get to pilot a transforming jet, and this was right around the same time Robotech was on the air.  Well a remake is now planned for next year:

I looked up the original game, and it does look pretty cool for its time.. Too bad my local arcades didn't have this then. 

4 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Speaking of old school mecha gameplay, I never would have guessed this game would get released again:

It's going to be part of City Connection's tribute to select Saturn games.  This one is gonna be a treat for me since I only heard about the game in import gaming magazine ads back in the day and never got to play it.  It's going to be on Steam next year and even if doesn't have subtitles, I'm buying it.

I’ve never played any of the assault suit games beyond Valken. The sequels to Leynos all seemed to be overseas only. I did watch videos and looked pretty neat. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I could use some help....I recently bought a Nintendo Gamecube at a con for cheap...dude told me it's been tested and works so I'm gonna hold him to his word on that as I don't have the proper connections to check. But I went to do a little cleaning on it....noticed it was really scuffed up bad when I got it under better lighting conditions, popped the top cd cover and saw some grime, cleaned it up with a swab and iso. I thought, "Maybe I should crack it open..." grabbed my special tool, opened it up, and was greeted to the worst sight of debris I've ever come across. When I bought a dreamcast last month and looked it over, it was in really good shape, the only problem was the GD-ROM was trash....that was it! 
This is a different story.....I mean even dirty and hair was crammed into really tight areas I couldn't believe! The cooling fan was caked, the air filters on the other side were clogged, it's terrible. 

I'm trying to convince myself, if I take this thing completely apart and do a really good cleaning on it, it'll be "better"....I know for sure the internals will be fine, but the housing is just in such poor shape. Even if I scrub it in soapy water, or do a peroxide treatment on the front panel, it's gonna have so much nasty gouging and scuffing  and scraping that it doesn't feel like it'll do much good.

So what are my options? I'm looking around online all I find are transparent shells and I don't want that at all....and the last project I worked on was replacing a GBASP shell and the guy had ripped me off so I'm cautious on how to go with. I'd really like something either Black which was what it originally was, Indigo, Silver or Orange. 

1 hour ago, Hikuro said:

Hey guys I could use some help....I recently bought a Nintendo Gamecube at a con for cheap...dude told me it's been tested and works so I'm gonna hold him to his word on that as I don't have the proper connections to check. But I went to do a little cleaning on it....noticed it was really scuffed up bad when I got it under better lighting conditions, popped the top cd cover and saw some grime, cleaned it up with a swab and iso. I thought, "Maybe I should crack it open..." grabbed my special tool, opened it up, and was greeted to the worst sight of debris I've ever come across. When I bought a dreamcast last month and looked it over, it was in really good shape, the only problem was the GD-ROM was trash....that was it! 
This is a different story.....I mean even dirty and hair was crammed into really tight areas I couldn't believe! The cooling fan was caked, the air filters on the other side were clogged, it's terrible. 

I'm trying to convince myself, if I take this thing completely apart and do a really good cleaning on it, it'll be "better"....I know for sure the internals will be fine, but the housing is just in such poor shape. Even if I scrub it in soapy water, or do a peroxide treatment on the front panel, it's gonna have so much nasty gouging and scuffing  and scraping that it doesn't feel like it'll do much good.

So what are my options? I'm looking around online all I find are transparent shells and I don't want that at all....and the last project I worked on was replacing a GBASP shell and the guy had ripped me off so I'm cautious on how to go with. I'd really like something either Black which was what it originally was, Indigo, Silver or Orange. 

Go for a legit retro look:il_794xN.2548718686_6h74.jpg.0acdefcf2361c2e68ecda5c14a126c25.jpg

Maybe scout the local goodwill for a junker Gamcube with a decent shell?  I found a decent looking Dreamcast there once.

I've also seen 3D printed shells.

Edited by Valkyrie Hunter D

1 hour ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Go for a legit retro look:il_794xN.2548718686_6h74.jpg.0acdefcf2361c2e68ecda5c14a126c25.jpg

Maybe scout the local goodwill for a junker Gamcube with a decent shell?  I found a decent looking Dreamcast there once.

Tried that when I had no luck getting one online thru the goodwill auction site. The goodwills in my area never ever carry stuff like consoles of any sorts, they mostly have clothes, pots and pans and dishware, almost nothing electronics wise outside of kitchen or desk lighting.

I mean this is baaaaaaaad. I'm half tempted to tear it further apart, fill the scratches with bondo, put a layer of filler primer on it, and then nail it with flat black until I can do something with it. TopShell.jpeg.6c389d4283b6aabbf7e73ef04149f4f1.jpeg

CoolingFan.jpeg

Looks like I'm gonna have to cut my losses possibly on this unit and just keep it as is. I've cleaned the snot out of it tonight, and my hope was to tear it all apart and just repaint this thing entirely. But upon inspection I discovered this is actually a "newer" unit Nintendo released, the DOL-101 variant. 
It explains why it was so much cheaper from the other units he had to offer. But by god the number of dead bugs that were in this console was staggering....so many lil legs floating around, I'm gonna have to deep clean the pan I used to scrub this sucker down. 

Edited by Hikuro

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2023 at 5:41 PM, Hikuro said:

Tried that when I had no luck getting one online thru the goodwill auction site. The goodwills in my area never ever carry stuff like consoles of any sorts, they mostly have clothes, pots and pans and dishware, almost nothing electronics wise outside of kitchen or desk lighting.

I mean this is baaaaaaaad. I'm half tempted to tear it further apart, fill the scratches with bondo, put a layer of filler primer on it, and then nail it with flat black until I can do something with it. 

Looks like I'm gonna have to cut my losses possibly on this unit and just keep it as is. I've cleaned the snot out of it tonight, and my hope was to tear it all apart and just repaint this thing entirely. But upon inspection I discovered this is actually a "newer" unit Nintendo released, the DOL-101 variant. 
It explains why it was so much cheaper from the other units he had to offer. But by god the number of dead bugs that were in this console was staggering....so many lil legs floating around, I'm gonna have to deep clean the pan I used to scrub this sucker down. 

I'm a bit late to this thread----are you looking for just a shell, or a whole console at this point?  My indigo one's mint and boxed, happy to sell to a fellow forum-member.  

On 11/24/2023 at 11:08 AM, David Hingtgen said:

I'm a bit late to this thread----are you looking for just a shell, or a whole console at this point?  My indigo one's mint and boxed, happy to sell to a fellow forum-member.  

Still looking, I cleaned the housing the best I could but it's still got tons of scrapes and gouging.....and I have problems getting it to switch on cause it doesn't recognize the button being pressed, think something on it is broken. But when I press it by hand it works fine. 
I guess it all just depends on the pricing since I'm doing so many projects right now money is a bit tight. 

I think my biggest problem, which is the same problem I'm having on my dreamcast is why I'm getting such dark picture quality. I can't even play Rogue Squadron cause I can't see a damn thing. Dunno if it's the HDMI converter or what but having two converters doing the same thing....what are the odds?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching this 7 hours Metroid retrospective on YouTube and since most of the games are retro now I thought this thread was a good place to post it.

It is also an interesting rundown on most of Nintendo's past consoles and an iconic, beloved character and a long lived  series that was never super successful:

Anyone here still play Guitar Hero/Rock Band?

Took my son to Dave and Buster's a few weeks ago for one of his friend's b-day and they had Guitar Hero....

I think it has been at least a decade since I played....so of course, dug out my old PS3 Rock Band gear and rocked out with my kids...lol

Only thing is apparently some games are not compatible with the Rock Band gear...the Guitar Hero and Rock Band guitar controllers are stupid expensive on eBay....

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

Took my son to Dave and Buster's a few weeks ago for one of his friend's b-day and they had Guitar Hero....

I think it has been at least a decade since I played....so of course, dug out my old PS3 Rock Band gear and rocked out with my kids...lol

Only thing is apparently some games are not compatible with the Rock Band gear...the Guitar Hero and Rock Band guitar controllers are stupid expensive on eBay....

Have you thought about getting him a real guitar. There’s actually a few really good learning tools to help out with the teaching that are available these days. They teach everything from tuning to the basics and beyond. I wish these kinds of things were available when I was growing up. 
You never know, you could end up raising the next Eddie Van Halen

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Yeah.  Not like we did back in the prime of the genre, but every year around Thanksgiving a group of my friends get together to drink and play Rock Band (currently 4, Xbox One version).  It's a holiday tradition.  We still occasionally buy new songs for it, though the updates went from weekly content from across the ages to mostly stuff released this decade I've never heard of.

1 hour ago, Big s said:

Have you thought about getting him a real guitar. There’s actually a few really good learning tools to help out with the teaching that are available these days. They teach everything from tuning to the basics and beyond. I wish these kinds of things were available when I was growing up. 
You never know, you could end up raising the next Eddie Van Halen

I'll look into that...thanks!

31 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Yeah.  Not like we did back in the prime of the genre, but every year around Thanksgiving a group of my friends get together to drink and play Rock Band (currently 4, Xbox One version).  It's a holiday tradition.  We still occasionally buy new songs for it, though the updates went from weekly content from across the ages to mostly stuff released this decade I've never heard of.

Cool...went to a local used video game shop near my work and picked up RB3, Rock Revolution and RB2...hopefully they'll work with my RB gear...they were dirt cheap too, think they were 5.99 each...lol...way cheaper than the controllers....:(

I saw that there was a Metallica, VanHalen and AC/DC game discs on eBay....may need to hunt those down