HG and Robotech Debates

Ok, I've got a plan. We all disguise ourselves as hardcore robotech fans, follow in with whatever B.S. these guys sasy for about a year, and try to get hired at HG. As soon as one or more of us get in, we userp power and convice Agrahma (SP, do I even care!) to sell the company to Bandai Visual Also, we steal Tommy & Kevin's lunches, and hide them in their respective cubicles. It'd be hilarious!

Man, do you really wanna do all that to get hired for like $13/hr??? I'd rather see and hear about these unprofessional, and royal screw ups, than even try to act like I care.

Why pay for what you can get for free? Maverick_LSC has never really given any indication that he's after a job, all he wants it to get the inside track on whatever's new with Robotech so he can use it to get the respect he's not getting for being a moderator. MEMO's the one who fancies a job at Harmony Gold. Neither one really has any relevant abilities to offer to the franchise. McKeever can at least pretend to be qualified for his job because of his production experience, but Maverick and MEMO's only qualifications to work on the Robotech franchise are being shameless suckups and fanatic followers of the company line.

Tommy maybe severely skill challenged as a writer, or creative director, but he's probably smart enough to know not to hire sub minions to do what they do for free anyways. Besides, from what I am guessing, as Robotech continues in a stagnant state, and the economy shrank, I'm sure HG isn't looking to hire anyone, not that it'd be Tommy's choice anyways.

I just realized with all the "excitement" for the upcoming Robotech side story, there hasn't been much information on who actually worked on the piece of animation that HG is planning to show off at this year's convention tour. HG proabaly didn't do it and paid some other company/studio to work on it like Shadow Chronicles. But since they're in the animation/anime business (debatable at this point, course), isn't that an important thing for people to know besides the fact that it's a new Robotech production?

Again, remember that HG normally doesn't create anime by themselves.

Edited by Einherjar

...they got themselves a Twitter feed, but that's about it...It's always something to the effect of "Why would we spend money on something that doesn't make us any money?"

It's not so much Robotech's "official" twitter account as it's a virtual trip around McKeever's ego/mind.

# Robotech: Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles is currently sold out in the Robotech.com store. #anime #amnga #cosplay #DCNation

# A look at Kev's hotel room in San Fran. #AODSF http://twitpic.com/417asq

# We have mostly a new crowd for this panel.

# Robotech Animation will be COMPLETED in 2011. No release date yet.

# Tommy now discusses how CG tech has improved. Fans commenting on animation.

# For 90% of the #Robotech fans in the audience this is the first time they are seeing this footage. #anime #manga #cosplay

# TOMMY: "You will see the consequences of Zor's legacy" in the new animation.

# The new animation clip was only shown once.

# The Robotech panel has no ended! Fans were very happy to see the new animation.

# We are getting reports that the debut of the new #Robotech animation at #AODSF is causing quite a stir.

trash.jpg

There's a recent tweet about Harmony Gold's office's "coffee table books", which unsurprisingly consists of Robotech books. I brought this up because voice actor Richard Epcar actually commented on the image:

That's all very nice, now where's our new movie?

I can't agree with you more, sir. Hey McKeever, if you're reading this, why not cut the BS?

Have you seen the size of the convention halls? With the exception of AX and Comic-Con (and probably NY Comic-Con), there's like 20 people sitting in those rooms.

Let me correct you there. Those are 20 paying customers. Something only narrow-minded McKeever understands.

Once on the forums, like 5 years ago I said "From what I know of this business, this is not the norm." He's since used the phrase "People who 'know this business'" over and over since then. A while back, someone on the forum even asked "Why do you keep saying that and who are you talking about?" It's really odd, but he still takes professional jabs at me. Kevin took over my old blog (robotechnews.blogspot.com), which is bizarre onto itself, and there are subtle professional jabs at me there.

Yikes... Do you have a feeling he thinks everyone who questions the way the franchise is run on Robotech.com is you in disguise? What a strange little man.

I did notice he took over that blogspot position. At first I couldn't believe he was running it, but after putting two and two together, I've got a bad feeling he's got this mad, demented hard-on for you. What I want to know is why Tommy Yune condones this weird, antisocial behavior.

Anyway, there is an off-shoot topic brewing about in Robotech.com if anyone's interested. The question: Who are the "enemies of Robotech"? Who are the competition of the property? Notice how the hardcore seem to disregard the past success of Japanese Macross, but also disregard TMNT, GI Joe, Transformers, He-man, and even Voltron! Crazy times we live in.

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=2109990&forumid=31

Edited by chrisk

Have you seen the size of the convention halls? With the exception of AX and Comic-Con (and probably NY Comic-Con), there's like 20 people sitting in those rooms.

Now if HG were getting all expenses paid and an appearance fee, it might be one of those things where they could say "sure, why not?" and get some extra money. But as an effective marketing tool, it is not.

It's been like 4 years since I shut down my blog (and later banned from RT.com) and this dude still holds a grudge. Granted, I didn't ever really dignify anything he said with a direct response, but what I did do was continue to criticize Robotech's business model. It wasn't personal, I just happened to be a fan who hated seeing the franchise going in the direction it was going.

Once on the forums, like 5 years ago I said "From what I know of this business, this is not the norm." He's since used the phrase "People who 'know this business'" over and over since then. A while back, someone on the forum even asked "Why do you keep saying that and who are you talking about?" It's really odd, but he still takes professional jabs at me. Kevin took over my old blog (robotechnews.blogspot.com), which is bizarre onto itself, and there are subtle professional jabs at me there.

Ironically, there have been a few times in my professional career where, had I gone out of my way, it would have been beneficial to the Robotech franchise (I have to stay vague on that), but why on earth would I at this point?

Typically, in my experience, when a fanboy becomes a professional, they learn to shed things like taking forum posts personally and the need to troll back. Apparently, Kevin never got that.

I didn't know Kevin took over your blog. Not really sure what the point of it now is as it seems to get much less traffic than the rt.com site. I like how he's got links to past Robotech tours for the past 5 years - nothing like living in the past when you have such little new info to talk about.

So, why does Kevin even keep visiting this thread if all he'll see is stuff that he will view as *hatehatehaterobotechhatehatehatehate* anyways?

That goes back to a point I made earlier - Kevin LOVES to get hate mail and see people angry at him. Here's a post on Aintitcool.com from 11 years ago where he was begging for hatemail:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/5382?q=node/5381

Mar 13, 2000 7:58:31 PM CST

I'm skeptical....

by 20th century fox

About 6 months ago there was an article on this film in the L.A. Times...And boy did it sing its praises almost to the point where I began to question objectivity. However there is one thing that gave me pause. EVERY major studio (Yes kids that includes those idots over a Crapa..ooopps I mean Mirimax

all passed. WHY? Note in both the L.A. times and ACIN are raving but are giving very little on the plot. I'm not saying the flim is bad but I have to question when only a struggling distributor like Strophere took the film. See the dirty little secret is most indie flims that are made REALLY SUCK DONKEY!!!! So when one comes out that has even remote choerence alas praise comes down. I'm not saying that this film is bad, however the amount of indie drek that hits festivals and studios every year a avarge flim can stand head and sholders above the rest. And lets not forget crtics are enmored with the new kid on the block sindrome. They get more intrested about the flimmakers and thier life story than the flim its self. Ill admit i have not nseen this movie and it could be really good but having watched studios like Crapa...ooops I mean Mirimax make up stories and lie about budgets one becomes a bit jaded....If your Mirimax programmed values have been completly offended please send all hate mail to: bankofkev@hotmail.com

The fact that he would go as the name "20th Century Fox" was another oddity altogether which I won't go into now. The ironic part is I used to work for Fox, and one day at one of the SoCal Robotech parties, I mentioned a pretty big Star Wars rumor I heard from someone one the Fox studio lot (I probably had a few beers). The very next Monday, I read that story on Aint it Cool almost WORD for WORD as to what I said. I joked around with Kevin that I shouldn't be talking after a few drinks, and he was like "Oh, that's been everywhere!! Everyone knows it!!" And it totally wasn't. It wasn't until later that I put two and two together that it was him. The man who trolled Aint it Cool and would talk about how evil it was became their informant the moment I said something worthy of their site. I was like "man... that's just weird"

by 20th century fox

About 6 months ago there was an article on this film in the L.A. Times...And boy did it sing its praises almost to the point where I began to question objectivity. However there is one thing that gave me pause. EVERY major studio (Yes kids that includes those idots over a Crapa..ooopps I mean Mirimax

all passed. WHY? Note in both the L.A. times and ACIN are raving but are giving very little on the plot. I'm not saying the flim is bad but I have to question when only a struggling distributor like Strophere took the film. See the dirty little secret is most indie flims that are made REALLY SUCK DONKEY!!!! So when one comes out that has even remote choerence alas praise comes down. I'm not saying that this film is bad, however the amount of indie drek that hits festivals and studios every year a avarge flim can stand head and sholders above the rest. And lets not forget crtics are enmored with the new kid on the block sindrome. They get more intrested about the flimmakers and thier life story than the flim its self. Ill admit i have not nseen this movie and it could be really good but having watched studios like Crapa...ooops I mean Mirimax make up stories and lie about budgets one becomes a bit jaded....If your Mirimax programmed values have been completly offended please send all hate mail to: bankofkev@hotmail.com

Dear god there's so many spelling errors, not to mention it just froze my brain trying to read that.........

also WTF @ crapa........I mean mirimax

For someone who likes to troll he sure sucks when it comes to name calling.

Also if he was lucky enough to get any hatemail back then he probably responded by calling them a doo doo head

Edited by HappyPenguins

How many people is Macross Purist in MW?

Depends who you ask. If you ask the people at RT.com or RTX, then everyone and everything on MW is. And apparently, we are all liars too. Hence the phrase, "Lying Macross Purists". :rolleyes:

snapback.pngkresphy, on 12 March 2011 - 03:42 PM, said:

How many people is Macross Purist in MW?

I agree it would depened on who you ask, but I like Macross and Robotech. But prefer Macross. As for the liars bit from RT.com and RTX. I think they need a life. People can be fans of many things. And I think people are more talking about why is HG not really doing anything and why are they holding on to a license that really has no refernce to what they are producing now

Anyway, there is an off-shoot topic brewing about in Robotech.com if anyone's interested. The question: Who are the "enemies of Robotech"? Who are the competition of the property? Notice how the hardcore seem to disregard the past success of Japanese Macross, but also disregard TMNT, GI Joe, Transformers, He-man, and even Voltron! Crazy times we live in.

http://www.robotech....9990&forumid=31

I checked out that forum, and it waqs funny how even people on there were saying that there was no continuity with RTSC as it basically re-wrote the ending the the RTNG and go rid of a lot of characters and had absolutely no mention of Macross or the SC parts.. But as well as maybe someone else should be handling the Franchise, and they mention TMNT and a few others. But someone put in saying let WB do all the start up work and let HG finish it.

ANd that is the first tiem I have been to that site in ages. and it looks like it has not changed for quite a while.

It's not so much Robotech's "official" twitter account as it's a virtual trip around McKeever's ego/mind.

# We are getting reports that the debut of the new #Robotech animation at #AODSF is causing quite a stir.[/i]

If you were at the damn AOD in SF, why would you need to get reports? Smells like spin and hype to me, but, whatever.

Then in regards to what you posted about Richard Epcar's comment

I can't agree with you more, sir. Hey McKeever, if you're reading this, why not cut the BS?

I think anyone, people who love Robotech to "haters" (funny saying that...anybody want some haterade???) is wondering the same thing.

Let me correct you there. Those are 20 paying customers. Something only narrow-minded McKeever understands.

Let's deflate this even further. If there were 20, I'm willing to bet that at least 1/3 of them are "industry" people, and have free passes.

I did notice he took over that blogspot position. At first I couldn't believe he was running it, but after putting two and two together, I've got a bad feeling he's got this mad, demented hard-on for you. What I want to know is why Tommy Yune condones this weird, antisocial behavior.

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=2109990&forumid=31

I've always wondered why Tommy would keep around, someone who is really only making them take steps backward. Yes, I'll give credit to Kevin for pushing the convention tour, but how often and how long has that been somewhat ineffective? They spend all this time, and go to all these conventions, and it's nothing new. Aside from that work, can anyone really think of anything positively memorable that he's done? I don't ever recall anything more than acting like a "fanboy troll", what he likes to call people who have questions about their discrepancies.

The bottom line is that there isn't an ounce of original creativity with the peeps at HG. Or if there is, they're so afraid of failure to risk even testing something out. Ill refer to the original Macross, then to Lovers again. Afterwhich Plus was released, then 7, and so on. My point is that the people behind Macross kept throwing great stuff out there, even if one series didn't perform as well as its previous series counterpart. It takes creativity and gumption to put something out that your base wants, Macross continues to do that. Whereas Robotech won't, because they're afraid of failure. Which is why WB shouls take total control of the RT franchise and any other agreeeements/arangements attched to it, and do something better than what HG has done.

Would HG be in the way of ADV or anyone else releasing Macross Plus on Blu-Ray over here?

I think you mean "The way of CPM" or "The Way of Urban Vision," since all ADV did was back out of their debts by opening up another company, transfer their licenses over, and let ADV go out of business (They're called Sentai Filmworks now).

I think you mean "The way of CPM" or "The Way of Urban Vision," since all ADV did was back out of their debts by opening up another company, transfer their licenses over, and let ADV go out of business (They're called Sentai Filmworks now).

Yeah, but would HG be able to block anyone from bringing it, even though using the english dub, etc ?

Yeah, but would HG be able to block anyone from bringing it, even though using the english dub, etc ?

I think they would and could as long as they use the word "Macross" since they want a slice of anything that says "Macross". But wait, according to Kevin, HG WANTS to bring over everything Macross, it's just the litigation in Japan which is really blocking this from happening.

I think they would and could as long as they use the word "Macross" since they want a slice of anything that says "Macross". But wait, according to Kevin, HG WANTS to bring over everything Macross, it's just the litigation in Japan which is really blocking this from happening.

I think they want more then just a slice of the fincial pie, they I would say want all right to toys' models and everything that has Macross. And claim it is there's and they improved it over the orginal creators. And would most likely want rights to all the character/mecha designs to make sure it is theres.. The list would go on.

And why would Bandai and BW jump on the band wagon with them. They have there own distribution companies, around the world and spent there own money creating these new properties. Why just give it away to a company that is probably not willing to pay anything to them for distribution rights and has been trying to block there product from going out. When they still make a decent packet in Japan for Macross, and the internet shops that sell Macross items.

And if HG was really serious about the distribution rights of Macross, the would go after every internet shop that sells Macross goods. And after everyone who has brought and imported them.

I am not a RT hater. Am just sick of the RT fans who don't listen. I do have one bug bear against the RT fans when they go on about Karl Maleck being a genious for making those 3 series into one. A fact is that he orginally only wanted to bring Macross over, but it was a few episodes to short. SO he had to create RT. He did it because he was told to fill the time slot, not to be creative. And the "product" as Tommy puts it is over 20 years old and has had nothing new or creative added to it for years. I am starting to think HG is just a tax write off. You actually have to produce product to make money.

And for the new animation from HG. A picture from the Simpsons comes to mine when they showed how the "Itchy and Scratchy" movie comes to mind. All those animators under armed guard and forced to make it.

Enough of my rambling on.....

... it's just the litigation in Japan which is really blocking this from happening.

Of which one could say, "What litigation?" All the court cases ended years ago.

And why would Bandai and BW jump on the band wagon with them. They have there own distribution companies...

Bandai, yes. Big West, no. Big West isn't a distribution company. They're just an ad company.

Of which one could say, "What litigation?" All the court cases ended years ago.

Bandai, yes. Big West, no. Big West isn't a distribution company. They're just an ad company.

I think this part of the problem that BW is an ad company and not a real anime distribution company whose sole base is Japan. What do they care about selling in the West. They don't have the interest or the resources to do business in the West. What Macross properties that did make it to the West was due to second & third parties (Tatsunoko, Bandai Visual) who licensed to LA Hero, HG, & Manga. The gridlock will continue because BW can allow it.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

Why is the word Yamato filtered on the official site to stars? I just noticed it in a thread. I mean, they do make quality Macross toys after all.

Its because HG and Toynami can only pump out "new" designs based on a 25 year old series.

I've heard of RT fans commenting when the Organic Mecha of the Haydonites was conceptualized... I think they were trying to insinuate that the Vajra was copied off from them, I'm not sure if I saw that in the RT Boards though.

If that's indeed true, it's just them, trying to validate the franchise as something more desirable than it really is. While there's almost always similarities in various sci-fi series, movies, anime, etc., I usually hear some fans take things from any sci-fi series and say that they directly copied Robotech, even when there's 5 other series that resemble the series in question closer. Again, it seems more like a hollow cry to validate Robotech's importance in a world that seems to not really care about it. Things change, but at this moment in time, that's where things are at.

I've heard of RT fans commenting when the Organic Mecha of the Haydonites was conceptualized... I think they were trying to insinuate that the Vajra was copied off from them, I'm not sure if I saw that in the RT Boards though.

I half-seriously mentioned that the Large Vajra bears a striking resemblance to some of the Invid Inorganic Scrim, if that's what you mean, but I'm no RT fan.

the lads over at rtx are saying that the new animation will be based off of the Robotech: Invasion comics, mixed with the Invid Character Sera.

Didn't she only get transmogrified into a humanoid halfway through the series? What would she even be doing in a prequel?

If that's indeed true, it's just them, trying to validate the franchise as something more desirable than it really is. [...] Again, it seems more like a hollow cry to validate Robotech's importance in a world that seems to not really care about it. Things change, but at this moment in time, that's where things are at.

Oh, it is... and it wasn't just the fans making absurd claims about Macross imitating Robotech as "proof" that Robotech is relevant and popular. Carl Macek himself fielded an obviously bullsh*t claim that Macross's sequels were all influenced more by Robotech than by the rest of Macross, and that in particular they were de-emphasizing the musical aspect of the franchise to be more like the Robotech series. It just underlines how arrogant and ignorant Macek and Harmony Gold were (and still are) when you notice that when he made those comments the most recent Macross sequels out there were Macross 7 and Macross Dynamite 7.... neither of which is exactly putting less emphasis on the music.:lol:

Some of the more obtuse Robotech fans have continued making comments in that vein, mostly about Macross Frontier supposedly trying to ape the visual stylings of Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles with CG planes, the glowing missile exhaust, and hundreds of other things that're downright ubiquitous these days. As you say, they're just grasping in the dark to make Robotech appear to be exactly the kind of industry-leading masterpiece they've spent 20+ years pretending it is.

the lads over at rtx are saying that the new animation will be based off of the Robotech: Invasion comics, mixed with the Invid Character Sera.

Heh... so, they're treading old ground again. I'd complain, but that's the status quo for Robotech.

Didn't she only get transmogrified into a humanoid halfway through the series? What would she even be doing in a prequel?

Yeah, Soruji (Sera) was only made into a humanoid about halfway through Mospeada/New Gen, so she wouldn't be present in those events. I can only assume that this is being told as a flashback, with Lancer narrating his exploits to a version of Sera who looks like a pencil that's been stuck through two grapes.

Some of the more obtuse Robotech fans have continued making comments in that vein, mostly about Macross Frontier supposedly trying to ape the visual stylings of Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles with CG planes, the glowing missile exhaust, and hundreds of other things that're downright ubiquitous these days. As you say, they're just grasping in the dark to make Robotech appear to be exactly the kind of industry-leading masterpiece they've spent 20+ years pretending it is.

Oh, wait!! I GET IT!!! It's so obvious, it qualifies as a 'Well, DUH!!' moment!!

RT's so relevant, other series besides Macross are trying to copy it, too! take Gundam-00!

First, you have the GN thingies! (GN being an obvious abreviation of Protoculture), the Solar reactors that are really hyper-photosynthesis chambers for the Flower of Life, and the clincher of all clinchers, the FLOWER SCENE at the end of the G-00 movie!

In addition, Setsuna F. Seiei is such a tribute to Rick Hunter! Tieria Erde is an amalgam of Minmei and Max, and the transforming Gundam is just a copied Alpha/Beta combiner!

Geee... why didn't I see this before?!?

:lol::ph34r::lol::ph34r::lol:

I woke up this morning and realized we're giving this Robotech animated project 2011 way too much attention than it deserves. All I know is I'll watch it once after I get off bittorent and that's that.

Rumor has it the new animation is going to be shoehorned with Long Live Alive. Multiple flashback sequences. The whole shebang. How exciting. It's like the property is stuck in some kind of weird limbo...

Edited by chrisk

I half-seriously mentioned that the Large Vajra bears a striking resemblance to some of the Invid Inorganic Scrim, if that's what you mean, but I'm no RT fan.

Well we got to See Corg throughout the series well before he got transmorgified... maybe they'll retcon Sera to have a purple eye so we can tell which scout she was early on.

So let me get this right, RT fanatics are saying that Macross is ripping off a series that ripped it off? Talk about an oximoron comment.

I mean that would make no sense to a normal person. Macross has always been about Music and mecha. As for Frontier taking of RTSC.

Um... let me see, Frontier. New Characters, new mecha designs and weapons and enemy and story, and combat that is more then just a few quick glimpses of mecha..Use the same Macross theme trough all series.etc.

Um..RTSC, Use previously designed Mecha, and for new ones. Just beef up old ones. Rewrite original ending to so called epic story line and screw up all the previous story. Get rid of characters that people would expect to see and change main characters apperances so they are not recognised......And most of all try and show how that most concepts are ripped off.

I can only say, that you can not accuse someone of ripping off an idea if the whole concept of what you have created has not been concieved at all by you, and the so call thing that is ripping you off is made by the orginal creators that you ripped off to begin with.

As for the CGI bit nearly all anime uses it and Macross zero came way before...

What a complete Oximoron.........

And the new stuff looks like they re-using the stuff that they have already created for RTSC so not much expense or creativty used there. Story already created and the CGI from RTSC

Also how many Japanese would of actually watched RT from what I heard that they coudl not market it over in Japan. I mean try and sell a product already over there again...More Oximorons....

And someone has said. All Robotech is about the Earth getting invaded again and again. ANd there is so many anime and stories out there like that. Next they will be saying that Starship Troopers was a rip off from Robotech...(Completely forget that it is from Enders Game)

enough of my rambling

Edited by Smegalot

Well it is starting to get quite comical. And gone on to long.

HG has a hard time to be creative as they haven't really created anything from scratch. And most of there stuff is all borrowed. Except for parts of the RTSC and hydonites sort of remind me of different robots in the past. Sort of like highly evoloved terminators where all life is the enemy.........

If anyone from HG is reading this. I think the only way RT will survive is to be original and with a reboot and let Macross go. This debate seems to be getting nowhere. And trying to create you own everything and not depend on previous creations from other people. And the claims there is more fans for RT then Macross is stupid. It has nothing to do with fans. You have to start releasing new material, and stop with the promises of stuff that never seems to happen. Other wise RT will disapear and HG will be thought of a company that blocked a success franchise that was never there's from getting it's proper release. And from what I have been reading on YouTube and other sites HG haters are starting to grow. ANd it all has to do with blocking Macross, with no real reason other then greed......And the blind fans who follow RT. There is more stuff out there then RT....And learn to accept that RT was created to fill a time slot.

I do not hate RT I like it. But I dislike people who seem to think it has to be one way or the other.

geeze am I going on today

Edited by Smegalot