HG and Robotech Debates

Wrong. If we're talking about all-time records, Voltes V was the one that made the biggest impact in the Philippines. If we're talking about the '90s, it's probably a tie between DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho (known in the Philippines as Ghost Fighter).

Star TV had RT back in the 1990s. Star Plus (the predecessor of Star World) aired RT in its entirety, while the Star Chinese Channel aired Macross and Mospeada dubbed in Mandarin.

EDIT: On a side note, a travel show on the Star Chinese Channel used an instrumental version of "Sunset Beach" for their opening and ending theme.

True, but only because they dubbed in in Filipino (hehe). I did get a Chance to watch that in 1986. Yuyu Hakusho was a 90's anime (and yes it was Marketed at Ghost Fighter... those really weird names, Genkai was Master Jeremiah, and Ko-Enma was Master Jericho...WTF!). DBZ was late 90's and was dubbed 2007 or 2008.

I think HG didn't see the Philippines as a viable market I guess... so we have Yamato Macross toys in Shelves :)

Tough to market a movie as something people have never seen before when it includes recycled animation from the TV series they've seen before... ouch.

If it was 1986 and the Anime market was brand new the trailers could've worked. It's more than what I got: an ad in a old COMICO magazine. Though at the time I did get excited about an RT movie.

Hey I've been looking for any interview that Carl Macek gave about the production of the Untold Story. I have the interview he did that was an extra from the Protoculture Collection. Is there any more video out there?

I thik HG see only mainly English speaking countries as there targets. USA, UK, Australia...etc

But it is funny about the new 1:100 toynami ones coming out with the ones from DYRL. I think someone else put it correctly. Marketing ones from a movie that they have never released. Wonder what they are hoping for.

My 2 cents worth

I thik HG see only mainly English speaking countries as there targets. USA, UK, Australia...etc

But it is funny about the new 1:100 toynami ones coming out with the ones from DYRL. I think someone else put it correctly. Marketing ones from a movie that they have never released. Wonder what they are hoping for.

My 2 cents worth

From what I know of the relationship between HG and Toynami, I'm guessing that Toynami is making the DYRL figures on their own, because they know what sells. I'm pretty sure HG isn't telling Toynami what to make and what not to make. My only hope is that they put a Macross Logo on it, and nothing of Robotech, as it would be non-canon to Robotech anyways. Toynami is a smart company, and they aren't going to make something they don't think will sell. That's why they'll never make the Southern Cross toys, even though they would be really cool to have.

top_gun_still2.jpg

y'know, i heard that 1986's "TOP GUN"

was considered the greatest and most successful USN/USAF recruiting video of all time.

in all honesty, i find it no small miracle that HG didn't attempt to claim the very same of ROBOTECH back then.

hell, i was only about 5yrs old at the time, so for all know, they very well might have done just that...

Edited by Shaorin

y'know, i heard that 1986's "TOP GUN"

was considered the greatest and most successful USAF recruiting video of all time.

USAF? I didn't know the Air Force operated on aircraft carriers.

in all honesty, i find it no small miracle that HG didn't attempt to claim the very same of ROBOTECH back then.

I don't get it. RT aired on TV in 1985 while Top Gun hit theaters in 1986.

hell, i was only about 5yrs old at the time...

Oh, that explains it.

TOPGUN.... USAF? :rolleyes:

OKAY, my total bad there; USN. :lol:

i wasn't thinking, and i was in a big hurry when posting that. it was an idea that had JUST popped into my mind.

also, perhaps maybe the promotional effect had bled over to the USAF as well?

I don't get it. RT aired on TV in 1985 while Top Gun hit theaters in 1986.

i know that. i also know that HG was still attempting to heavily market RT in 1986.

hell, according to HG at the time, we had both the movie AND the SENTINELS sequel T.V. series

to look forward to some time in 1986, even if it all ended up vaporware in the end...

Edited by Shaorin

i know that. i also know that HG was still attempting to heavily market RT in 1986.

hell, according to HG at the time, we had both the movie AND the SENTINELS sequel T.V. series

to look forward to some time in 1986, even if it all ended up vaporware in the end...

Looking back on it now, that's what happens when you base your franchise on a Macekre. Long term success is hard to come by.

Oh God, here we go again.

http://twitpic.com/41jlvn

'>

http://twitpic.com/41jlvn

Bread and circuses for Robotech!

Edited by Einherjar

On the RT Twitter, Tommy Yune hosted clips from the new animation and doc videos at AODSF...Tomorrow they are going to replay the anime clip..

... and nobody in the galaxy cares. :p

Okay, where's MEMO and his tears of true-believer joy? Where's Mav with his 'I told ya so!' sign?

I don't think I can take this pic as authentic, if it doesn't have these two things in it...

Just sayin'...

EDIT: (And, in this case, TWITpic is apt enough...)

Edited by Robelwell202

the way that photo was shot makes that room appear to be packed full of chain smokers.

guess that's what the stress and turmoil of RT fandom'll do to you...

Personally, what I love about that picture is how it's captioned "Fans line up for autographs..." when the photo in question not only doesn't show anyone in that mostly-empty room queuing up for Tommy's autograph, it also shows an audience completely bereft of interest or excitement about what that two-bit hack has to say. Looks to me like another wonderful guest appearance by Tommy where most of the audience is just hoping to hold a good seat for the panel that has that room after him.

Okay, where's MEMO and his tears of true-believer joy? Where's Mav with his 'I told ya so!' sign?

Probably still in hiding, because that's clearly a picture of Speed Racer... this picture, to be precise.

Personally, what I love about that picture is how it's captioned "Fans line up for autographs..." when the photo in question not only doesn't show anyone in that mostly-empty room queuing up for Tommy's autograph, it also shows an audience completely bereft of interest or excitement about what that two-bit hack has to say. Looks to me like another wonderful guest appearance by Tommy where most of the audience is just hoping to hold a good seat for the panel that has that room after him.

Probably still in hiding, because that's clearly a picture of Speed Racer... this picture, to be precise.

You can tell excitement by looking "at the back of their heads"; you're good....

On the RT Twitter, Tommy Yune hosted clips from the new animation and doc videos at AODSF...Tomorrow they are going to replay the anime clip..

RobotechNews ROBOTECH

If you want to see the NEW Animation it will be shown ROBOTECH: FREE-FOR-ALL Live Events 2 @ 12:00 Noon on Sunday.

They show the new animaiton?

I wait it~~~

and this:

http://www.robotechespanol.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90:el-reporte-de-memo&catid=52:convenciones

Harmony Gold nos mostró la imagen de Sera pero en esta ocación, al final, Tommy nos mostró un video clip en animación y en color. No era un animatic como los que mostraba antes en Shadow Chronicles. Si nos indicó que era una animacion sin terminar...
Edited by kresphy

It might be a lot more accurate to call it by the Korean word for animation.

Conbats in the video are to me further evidence that this is not going to be Love Live Alive.

It might be a lot more accurate to call it by the Korean word for animation.

Conbats in the video are to me further evidence that this is not going to be Love Live Alive.

But what is that exactly when Japanese studios are also farming out their projects to Korea, China, & Thailand. These countries like the USA & France have grown up with the Japanese anime style and can mimic it.

You can tell excitement by looking "at the back of their heads"; you're good....

Dude... you'd have to be blind not to pick up on the complete lack of enthusiasm in that audience.

'course, you'd also have to be blind not to notice that, despite the caption, NOBODY in that meager audience is queuing up excitedly for Tommy's autograph either. :p

Dude... you'd have to be blind not to pick up on the complete lack of enthusiasm in that audience.

'course, you'd also have to be blind not to notice that, despite the caption, NOBODY in that meager audience is queuing up excitedly for Tommy's autograph either. :p

I think anime fans are reserved by nature. I went to last years Otakon and saw the Sunday show of Homemade Kazoku. The crowd was attentive but a "little to cool for school" to really get into show. I was in a crowd with some girls and we pumped up the show then others got into it and they rocked the house.

I've been to a few panels and sometimes they're just like that picture so that's not really a determinate on how the animatic was received. Personally, I'm waiting for more of people who did attend to post what they saw.

Since this new feature appears to be Robotech: Flashback 2038, do you guys think HG will try marketing it in Japan as a type of prequel to Mospeada? All they'd have to do is change some names and the title sequence.

Edited by ps99042

I think anime fans are reserved by nature. I went to last years Otakon and saw the Sunday show of Homemade Kazoku. The crowd was attentive but a "little to cool for school" to really get into show. I was in a crowd with some girls and we pumped up the show then others got into it and they rocked the house.

I've been to a few panels and sometimes they're just like that picture so that's not really a determinate on how the animatic was received. Personally, I'm waiting for more of people who did attend to post what they saw.

And I was at last year's SakuraCon (Seattle), and I'd seen something completely different. Even though the first ep of Gundam Unicorn had been out and available for a while, every one of the fans that went to see the screening (including me) stood and applauded after it was over. If something is actually worth getting excited for, people will get excited, pure and simple.

Since this new feature appears to be Robotech: Flashback 2038, do you guys think HG will try marketing it in Japan as a type of prequel to Mospeada? All they'd have to do is change some names and the title sequence.

Nah, I doubt they'd even try... Harmony Gold can't even make Robotech a competitive title in America, where its primary fan constituency is supposedly located, they wouldn't stand a chance in Japan. Especially not since the best they've shown they can do is a short movie with an awful script and animation that would've been sub-par over a decade ago.