Super 8

Known Details:

• May 2011 release
  • Not Cloverfield related
  • Collaboration between Spielberg and JJ Abrams
  • Possibly set in 1979
  • Area 51 crap being transported on rail to Ohio, derailed by truck (probably drunk OSU student - Hypothetical :p)

I'll avoid posting a link to youtube, as they are mostly low quality, and anyone who'se seen IM2 has seen it already. Here is the not so viral website.

I also heard it was about a bunch of kids filming then when they look back at the footage they notice an alien in the frame, i seen the trailer, I thought it was going to be a scary/serious like film with greys or something but when the 'alien' punched its way out of that train i thought 'aww...some strong monster thing'...Ill still see it tho.

I was wondering why there is a thread for a nation-wide motel chain :lol:

HA... funny thing is that since Super 8 motels is one of the top google-hits, I thought that the hotel chain was part of some strange viral advertisement (as I was confusing it with another motel Chain: Motel 6 :lol: )... after some research, I concluded that Super 8 motels was legit lol. Damm, these days it's hard to separate truth from fiction.

My sister said the same thing! IMHO It could be J.J. Abrams version of Close Encounters of the 4th Kind with an expanded storyline.

My sister said the same thing! IMHO It could be J.J. Abrams version of Close Encounters of the 4th Kind with an expanded storyline.

you mean third kind :p 4th kind is abduction, Im thinking it will end up being some monster chase with a camera,im hoping better tho...but seeing a mash-potato mountain would be cool.

I can't say the trailer piqued my interest enough to even care what the movie is at this point.

Not really a fan of the "Oooh, what is it? WHAT IS IT???!?!" gimmick for movie promotions. Nothing ever seems to live up to fabricated hype.

E.T. phone home!

Funny you mention that because when Spielberg's name appeared on the trailer before Iron Man last night, I leaned over to my wife and said, "Hey, this is the trailer for ET 2!" ^_^

Super 8 was also the common name for Kodak's Super 8mm motion picture film cartridges... maybe it's a film reference?

Super 8 was also the common name for Kodak's Super 8mm motion picture film cartridges... maybe it's a film reference?

There's no maybe about it. That's exactly what it's referencing, it's pretty explicitly shown at the end of the trailer.

If they're going to waste my time and make it that vague and ambiguous then all I care to say is "who gives a f**k..." Come to me when you've got something tangible...

I don't think it's Voltron (I know you guys are being sarcastic :p) but the name Super-8 does gives off a strong super-sentai, superheroes team vibes.

OK, Gatchaman +3?? I don't think so.

Crappy "viral" marketing campaign normally = crappy film however.

Taksraven

here's hoping it's not a prequel to Cloverfield (which I still haven't gotten around to seeing. Or E.T. for that matter)

I think they've already said that it was not Cloverfield related, though you never know, anything is possible. Or you could alternatively believe that this is another chapter in the Abramsverse in which the events of Felicity, Super 8, Cloverfield, Lost, and Star Trek are part of the same timeline :p .

I think they've already said that it was not Cloverfield related, though you never know, anything is possible. Or you could alternatively believe that this is another chapter in the Abramsverse in which the events of Felicity, Super 8, Cloverfield, Lost, and Star Trek are part of the same timeline :p .

don't forget fringe. ^_^

Edited by anime52k8