Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.7

logos

I find it kind of odd when people say that the VF-25/27 has a complicated/difficult transformation. admittedly I've only got the 27 but the transformation is pretty similar, and I don't find it to be any more difficult to transform than the VF-11. The current v.2 1/60 isn't that much easier, and the VF-22 is Much more complex and fiddly.

I dunno, I have to fiddle with it some, but not much, certainly not as much as my ver2 vf1s (battroid to fighter, swing bar catch thingy), or the heat shield on the vf11c, but I pretty much broke the code on that, so those ain't bad anymore. Still I just find the execution to be lacking. The way the toy ends up looking bothers me, the thrusting hips, and MTI stance just bother me. Makes me want to put a campaign hat on it and throwing the knife hand... gives me nightmares...

Sadly, I have given up all hope of ever seeing a DX 1/60 scale VF-171/VF-171EX from Bandai.

Hopefully Yamato is able to get the Frontier licence sometime in the next 3-5 years.

Graham

You are the man who can be in their ear about it. . .

"Come on I know you guys can do a better job than this, and you know it will sell. . . It IS Macross after all. . . " :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But I wonder if they have any of the MacF toys laying around to look at and think about a redesign. :ph34r:

Sadly, I have given up all hope of ever seeing a DX 1/60 scale VF-171/VF-171EX from Bandai.

Hopefully Yamato is able to get the Frontier licence sometime in the next 3-5 years.

Graham

If Yamato were able to obtain that license, it would simply be EPIC. In all seriousness though, I have been waiting for a legit VF - 25 figure

that follows the line art, and obviously bandai's DX line doesn't really succeed in that feild.

On a side note though, can two companies have a license to something at the same time? Or does a company have to buy the license from the previous owner of

said license? Would Bandai even be willing to let go of the frontier license?

-Archer

But I wonder if they have any of the MacF toys laying around to look at and think about a redesign. :ph34r:

if Yamato would make their own 1/60 toys in the (far or near) future, my bet is that they're gonna study the Bandai 1/72 kits and try to figure out how to make it into a "sturdier-than-a-model" toy. i also think they'll have some of the DX 1/60s just for laughs... :rolleyes:

if Yamato would make their own 1/60 toys in the (far or near) future, my bet is that they're gonna study the Bandai 1/72 kits and try to figure out how to make it into a "sturdier-than-a-model" toy. i also think they'll have some of the DX 1/60s just for laughs... :rolleyes:

:lol::D:lol:

Hey guys,

I was wondering as to whether the new DX vf-25f tornado is any better than the previous releases. I don't mind the sculpting or design or anything,

I just want to know if the joints are tighter and the QC issues of the previous releases were alleviated.

Thanks in advance

Nah, it's only better because they made better color choices and the Tornado armor is pretty solid (especially compared to the Super Parts or Armored toys). All the other common issues seem to be just as prevalent (although I still think it's a fair toy).

Well, whatever craptastic plastic malady that affected my DX 25 is now affecting my 27 as well.

Left Shoulder is too loose to hold any sort of pose and the shoulder arm bar latch doesn't hold the metal swing bars in place anymore.

Anyone else getting this problem now? Perhaps its past the DX plastic expiry date :)

Edited by Cent

Anyone else getting this problem now? Perhaps its past the DX plastic expiry date :)

Shoulders are looser on one of mine that I have displayed in battroid mode. The legs are also a lot looser than before when they actually used to be hard to move. The same goes for my Macross Quarter. The shoulders can't hold their position anymore. Seems to be a common problem among all my Bandai DX toys despite very little to almost no handling.

The shoulder ball joints on mine are a little loose (i.e. cannot support the weight of the gun with one hand) but it's no worse than when I first got it.

I've yet to experience any spontaneous joint atrophy in my VF-27.

I've yet to experience any spontaneous joint atrophy in my VF-27.

My VF-27 is already suffering from joint atrophy :(

I have to check, but what if bandai is using some kind of rubber/plastic inside the ball sockets that turns very hard after a couple months loosing it's friction properties?

My VF-27 is already suffering from joint atrophy :(

I have to check, but what if bandai is using some kind of rubber/plastic inside the ball sockets that turns very hard after a couple months loosing it's friction properties?

i disassembled one of my VF-25s a few months ago. the ball joint for the hip is half bare metal and the top half covered w/ some kind of rough, tacky material. the ball joint for the arm is just plastic, iirc.

Edited by m0n5t3r

i disassembled one of my VF-25s a few months ago. the ball joint for the hip is half bare metal and the top half covered w/ some kind of rough, tacky material. the ball joint for the arm is just plastic, iirc.

just one screw and you can add some glue to add friction to the joint.

Soooo, I really LOVE the vf-25 design, and I like to actually mess around and *ahem* "play" with the figures that I buy.

In all sense, I think that the vf-25 is my favorite valk design of all time. So here is the question:

I have yet to buy any DX toys, so is it worth it for me to pick up the tornado gift set vf-25 pack, or should

I wait it out for a version 2.0 from Bandai?

There's no guarantee at all of a V2 right. DX 25 toys pop up occasionally second hand at a steep discount here, you might want to try cutting your teeth on one of those rather than taking an MSRP plunge. Most the people who comment in these threads are DX haters so by asking the question here you should kinda already know the answer is going to be a "No." So, the consensus on MW will be to wait and you should consider that against the fact that the DX 25 line has sold very well so obviously somebody somewhere really likes it.

If you really LOVE the VF-25 design, I suppose it's worth it to grab one. There's no guarantee that a version 2.0 will ever come, so I wouldn't wait for it.

In my personal opinion, the DX is the worst representation of the VF-25 currently available, in a pure aesthetic sense. It's just ugly to me, and Both the VF100s and 1/72 kits are light years ahead of it in terms of accuracy and looks.

BUT (and this is a big "but") the only one that will hold up to any amount of real play is the DX. The models are display pieces which happen to transform, and the VF100s are more like legos than a transformer. laugh.gif For all it's uglyness, the DX is decently sturdy, although make sure to read up on the tornado armor.. if it's anything like the heavy armor set, it might overstress the plastic around the wings. I wouldn't recommend leaving the armor on to display it in any case.

Edit: And Jenius is right, I think most of the people still reading this topic are the ones who were disappointed in the DX, so the opinions here are going to be skewed. I too love the design of the VF-25, I just think the DX is a poor representation of a nice design. Didn't stop me from buying an Alto and Michael though, and so far I haven't had any serious problems with them.

Edited by Chronocidal

I'd say either just buy a bare 1/60 DX VF-25F or VF-25S or get the Tornado pack VF-25F.

IMO, the DX Tornado Pack is the only one of the accessory packs, that actually stays on fairly well for the most part (forearm packs excepted, which I leave off anyway).

While the DX Armour Pack looks nice, getting it fitted and then getting all the parts to stay on can be an exercise in frustration.

While fitting the Super packs is easy, the intake covers do tend to fall of if you look at them the wrong way.

Also, in battroid mode, the extra weight of the Armoured or Super Packs can cause the waist catch to auto-unlock.

I haven't experienced an wing hinge cracking on any of my VF-25 so far (touch wood). This seems to be something that has only been reported on a few Armoured Ozma VF-25S though, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've yet to hear of it happening with a VF-25F fitted with Tornado packs.

That being said, I keep my VF-25F Tornado in fighter mode, as I think it looks best in that mode and have never actually transformed it, although I have transformed my other VF-25 DX toys many times.

If you do like to play/handle/transform your toys, I would stay away from the model kits. While the kits liook gorgeous and are the most accurate of all the versions, they will not stand up to repeated transfomations.

The 1/100 VF100s VF-25 toys are quite nice representations of the VF-25, but do require a ot of parts swapping to transform, so if that is not your thing and if you are a person who gets worried about keeping track of lots of small parts, this may not be the best option.

Last word on the DX VF-25, the joints can get quite loose, fairly quickly even if you don't handle the toy much. My DX VF-25G Michael, while fine out of the box, turned into a floppy mess in the space of 6 months, without even being handled much.

Graham

Well, as with my sig, yes, I have all the variants, less the Tornado pack.

So yes, while they sold very well, it doesn't automatically mean that all people who bought them really like them (as in the DX toy, not the design of the 25). I don't deem them worthy enough to be displayed in fighter mode alongside my Yammies.

I'm an example of one who bought them only because Bandai is the only kid on the block as far as 1/60 scale VF-25s are concerned.

The exception to the DX toys is the VF-27. I deem it worthy enough to be displayed alongside my Yamato valks, even though I know some here might not think the same way.

Edited by BlueMax

I really wanted to love my armoured VF-25s...I really really did. I only had one or two Yammies when I first got it so I wouldn't even be considered a snob. While the base toy was ok, The armoured parts where too big of a hassle. Actually all it would have had to do for me to forgive it was to stand up under its own weight with the parts on (specifically the boosters).

If they did a 2.0 VF-25S (knee swivel, fixed neck and tightened joints, collapseable sheild, fixed landing gear) I would buy the base figure again. It was so close to being pretty good.

Last word on the DX VF-25, the joints can get quite loose, fairly quickly even if you don't handle the toy much. My DX VF-25G Michael, while fine out of the box, turned into a floppy mess in the space of 6 months, without even being handled much.

Graham

My regular 25S turned that way in much less time. Dig the sculpt, annoyed by some of the articulation points, utterly disappointed with joint looseness. Sure it can be rectified but the other issues that I have with the toy are hard to overlook.

I am more forgiving in my demands, imho. Though admittedly, the DX design could use LOTS of improvement, but being the only representation in the market currently, I still buy them all, sans the armored pack.

And I'm looking forward for the release of Michel's VF-25G with Tornado Pack next year to complete my Frontier bunch. And what if Bandai or even Yamato come out with better models in the future? Well...I will still buy them of course. Just like those people who already bought a Yammie 1/72...once the new and improved 1/60 came out, what's stopping us from buying more valks,of the same one even? :p

My purchase so far has been of personal taste, I like it so I buy it. And I do read the feedbacks and cautions, if only to know what to watch out for in the valks I bought...

My 2 cents worth....

So yes, while they sold very well, it doesn't automatically mean that all people who bought them really like them (as in the DX toy, not the design of the 25). I don't deem them worthy enough to be displayed in fighter mode alongside my Yammies.

Some hopeless idiots would keep buying even if they have tons of complaints over them. They are just desperate enough to fill their cabinet with whatever VF-25 toys they can find.

I've got the four DX VF-25 and the two VF-27. I'm sort of okay with their fighter modes (I know many who aren't), so I managed to convince myself to continue buying.

My VF-25G Michael became a floppy mess after two days or so, so I sent it back to Bandai, and got another from them. It wasn't much different.

Then I got the green VF-27 and the shoulders are extremely floppy now. At least that one looks good, though.

Talking of the green VF-27, hunted for it all over Tokyo last week when I was there. Mandarake had it listed at two locations for 16K Yen, but neither really had it in stock.

Guess since it's not much better in the tightness department, I wasn't missing much more than that Super Fold Booster add-on compared to the Purple one I already own.

There's no guarantee at all of a V2 right. DX 25 toys pop up occasionally second hand at a steep discount here, you might want to try cutting your teeth on one of those rather than taking an MSRP plunge. Most the people who comment in these threads are DX haters so by asking the question here you should kinda already know the answer is going to be a "No." So, the consensus on MW will be to wait and you should consider that against the fact that the DX 25 line has sold very well so obviously somebody somewhere really likes it.

I hope you're not implying that people are hating on the DXs irrationally. Actually, of the complaints and dislike going towards the DXs, they are really mainly directed towards the DX VF-25's. I think quite a few people are happy with the DX VF-27, myself included. Not to mention the VB-6 konig monster and Macross Quarter releases have generally been well received here by those who purchased them. So calling people DX haters just because they find a lot of faults with the DX 25 seems misleading. There are many valid complaints about the DX VF-25. I think part of the reason the DX 25 line has sold well is because MF is/was new and many people scrambled to get the toy versions of the latest featured VF and even if the design of the toy was average at best, it was good enough and was also the only game in town if you wanted something in scale with all the Yamato valks out. And consider also that some people don't really place much emphasis on the looks and would rather have a toy they can play with more vigorously, which could be another reason it sold well. It was easily transformable and had a lot of diecast in many stress bearing areas which made them feel more secure for play, flaws in screws and such notwithstanding (even if people found out a few months down the road that the joints would turn floppy on them).

so people who complain about the busted shoulders on yamato are just "haters' and we should discount what their experiences are too, right?

:rolleyes:

so people who complain about the busted shoulders on yamato are just "haters' and we should discount what their experiences are too, right?

:rolleyes:

But a busted shoulder is something that's quick and easy to fix, remember? ;)

I hope you're not implying that people are hating on the DXs irrationally. Actually, of the complaints and dislike going towards the DXs, they are really mainly directed towards the DX VF-25's. I think quite a few people are happy with the DX VF-27, myself included. Not to mention the VB-6 konig monster and Macross Quarter releases have generally been well received here by those who purchased them. So calling people DX haters just because they find a lot of faults with the DX 25 seems misleading. There are many valid complaints about the DX VF-25. I think part of the reason the DX 25 line has sold well is because MF is/was new and many people scrambled to get the toy versions of the latest featured VF and even if the design of the toy was average at best, it was good enough and was also the only game in town if you wanted something in scale with all the Yamato valks out. And consider also that some people don't really place much emphasis on the looks and would rather have a toy they can play with more vigorously, which could be another reason it sold well. It was easily transformable and had a lot of diecast in many stress bearing areas which made them feel more secure for play, flaws in screws and such notwithstanding (even if people found out a few months down the road that the joints would turn floppy on them).

nothing's perfect imho, we can always try to fix it ourselves. loose joints can be tightened, broken shoulders can be replaced. nobody wants anything to happen to their valks, neither to their yammies or their DXs.

If you interpret my quick blurb as a means of dismissing all DX complaints you're being overly sensitive. People who are unhappy with something grumble for a long time. People who are happy about something tend to not even acknowledge that happiness in a public manner. So, something like a year after a toy was released who is going to be posting in a thread about it? A couple late comers and a few more people who are still grumbling. That's not saying the grumblers don't have a point, it's just an observation that the reaction to a question like "Is this a good product" a year after the fact is only going to have a few grumblers left to respond to it. In the end, I think my "buy a used one cheap and see what you think" advice is still rock solid.

Edited by jenius

If you interpret my quick blurb as a means of dismissing all DX complaints you're being overly sensitive. People who are unhappy with something grumble for a long time. People who are happy about something tend to not even acknowledge that happiness in a public manner. So, something like a year after a toy was released who is going to be posting in a thread about it? A couple late comers and a few more people who are still grumbling. That's not saying the grumblers don't have a point, it's just an observation that the reaction to a question like "Is this a good product" a year after the fact is only going to have a few grumblers left to respond to it. In the end, I think my "buy a used one cheap and see what you think" advice is still rock solid.

Well the way you worded the sentence,

Most the people who comment in these threads are DX haters so by asking the question here you should kinda already know the answer is going to be a "No."
made it sound like a blanket label for the majority of people who post in these threads regarding Bandai's DX releases in general. But I see now your train of thought.

In many video game forums for example, particularly for MMOs, I'll see plenty of people who will post complaints about different aspects of a game, but fewer people who post praises to the devs about good stuff. In that, your line of thought is valid. People who are happy with the game are spending their time playing the game while the people who aren't happy will spend more time posting problems they want fixed. I think however that circumstances are a bit different in the MW forums. Many of the same people frequent this forum regardless of their opinions regarding a particular toy or line because we love the subject matter, Macross, in general. The same people often will often click through the most recently updated threads and read recent posts and sometimes even browse through older forgotten threads and reply if they have something to add (or in some cases even if they don't have anything to add). In many of the "Should I buy X?" type threads, depending on the toy, you can get majority positive or negative responses. If only the grumblers stuck around to post, this wouldn't be the case. Also given that new releases for a particular line are frequently coming out, like the 1/60 VF-1s and 1/60 scale DXs, that also helps to get people coming back even if the first item in the line may be a year or so old.

Finally, I agree with your advice to buy a used item cheap to try it out and form your own opinion if unsure.

I have to say I do get where Jenius is coming from. I am definitely guilty of complaining about the DX 25 much more than I have praised the 27, and really I should have done both equally. But I tend to justify that with the excuse that the 27 is on par with the standards we ought to expect in 2009-10, whereas the 25 really, really fell short of that, so it was more shock than anything. Especially since we always equated Bandai with the SOC masterpieces and imagined they would bring out a similar product. It was such a big shock that we're still talking about it.

As for the sales of the DX 25, as someone already said, it was the hero robot in one of the most popular anime of recent years, they will sell no matter what. I would also like to add that most of the people buying these are not hardcore Macross fans like us, and will settle for things we would think are lacking in certain respects. They likely do not have the experience of transforming robots we do. I assume Yamato is going for a more difficult market to please, the aging fan who knows the VF-1 inside-out and has ultra-high expectations based on decades of history with these toys.

Just something to consider.