Prometheus - on Blu-Ray and DVD Oct. 9, 2012

I didn't comment much at the time because it would have been all very negative.

Wondered if I would ease up over time and want to see it again, to give it a fresh look and see if my opinions changed.

This just in --- not only do I not care to see it, I actually HOPE to never see it again...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Huge R Scott fan too, still baffled at the colossal flub it turned out to be...

I didn't comment much at the time because it would have been all very negative.

Wondered if I would ease up over time and want to see it again, to give it a fresh look and see if my opinions changed.

This just in --- not only do I not care to see it, I actually HOPE to never see it again...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Huge R Scott fan too, still baffled at the colossal flub it turned out to be...

Same here. I won't even repeat what all the others said about the movie--shouldn't have even rented it.

BTW, where'd they get the whole "Jesus is an engineer" thing? There was absolutely no mention of it in the movie. Wait, was it just some fanboy theory?

Same here. I won't even repeat what all the others said about the movie--shouldn't have even rented it.

BTW, where'd they get the whole "Jesus is an engineer" thing? There was absolutely no mention of it in the movie. Wait, was it just some fanboy theory?

the whole "Jesus is an Engineer" thing comes strait from Ridley Scott's own mouth:

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/ridley-scott-prometheus-interview/8232

(read the last question/answer in the interview)

Anyways, I was fairly disappointed when I first saw the film, but on subsequent viewing on blu-ray at home I started to like the movie a lot more as I began to catch subtle things and really piece together what they were going for in the movie. Also, Having seen the deleted scenes and listened to the directors cometary, I really wish they had kept 90% of the content they cut out. there's a lot of stuff that I think added depth and clarity to the film that it really needed.

Overall, I think Prometheus is a deeply flawed but fundamentally good film. It's got a lot of really interesting ideas but it's hampered by less than stellar execution. Most of the hate is really unwarranted though, and it seems to me more like a bunch of people eager to jump on the cool guy "I think this movie is crap" bandwagon without actually giving it a fair shake.

Edited by anime52k8

I think that there will always be a place for the "flawed" science fiction film. To me, one of the best examples of this is the "nearly great" The Black Hole. A lot of the concepts and imagery in this film were outstanding and very very dark, especially for a Disney film at the time. Overall, however, it didn't quite make it. Too bad. Prometheus is much worse, though..

I watched it with my wife the other day. Afterward she said "That was kind of ridiculous toward the end but otherwise fun. I sense I'm willfully ignoring some pretty glaring issues so I'm going to choose not to think about it and just remember it as 'fun'."

I don't know, I thought The Black Hole was incredibly awesome for what it was, of course I didn't hate Prometheus either...

Don't get me wrong, despite the fact it is flawed I still consider The Black Hole to be a *vastly* underrated film. I think that Event Horizon also missed out on being a true classic, just didn't quite work out.....

In the movie itself, they date the remains of the dead engineers to be about 2000 years old, if I remember correctly. This implies that they were preparing their doomsday machine in reaction to a cataclysmic event on earth...

@anime52k8: So it was an idea that he decided to drop because was too "on the nose"?

Frankly, it started out very promisingly, but ultimately, it just suffered from so many unanswered questions and ideas that were just left there. It feels so unfinished, like it was meant to be a first half of a two-part movie. EDIT: Just finished reading the interview, and it seems like that was the idea in the first place. My opinion still stands, though; it leaves the first movie feel unfinished.

I agree that if Scott--...sorry, Sir Scott, had included all those deleted scenes, the movie would have been made that much better for it. I remember reading that there was a deleted scene where the engineer actually explained to David about what their motives were. If they had gone with that, it wouldn't have been necessary to have Shaw travel to the engineers' home planet. Sure, this way, this would set the story up for a sequel, but leaving their motives unexplained makes the movie feel unfinished.

Just my thoughts.

In the movie itself, they date the remains of the dead engineers to be about 2000 years old, if I remember correctly. This implies that they were preparing their doomsday machine in reaction to a cataclysmic event on earth...

I can't believe I didn't pick up on that. A little too subtle for me, TBH. :p

Edited by GU-11

• 4 months later...

This makes no sense to tie the engineers actions to the death of Christ.... Because then you have to tie the engineers failure and very bad things to Christ as well.

because it is much more acceptable (less "outrage" aka death threats, boycotts, general unrest) to do it that way.....imagine the reaction if "failure" was tied into Muhammad.... ;)

I'm surprised Lindelof gets any jobs anymore. Atleast Ridley was smart enough not to go back to him again.

This film had more problems than just the script. Everybody want's to let Saint Ridley off the hook.

Eh, the more times I watch this the more I like it. I'd watch a sequel if it actually gets made.

Wasn't the movie actually made with a sequel in mind, what with

Rapace travelling to meet the engineers and all?

Not sure if spoliers are still necessary after all this time, but just in case....

Edited by GU-11

Wasn't the movie actually made with a sequel in mind, what with

Rapace travelling to meet the engineers and all?

Not sure if spoliers are still necessary after all this time, but just in case....

Yes

It looked too good? It was a too effective use of IMAX 3D?

Yeah, forgot about that. Ridley apologists fans are too used to watching films without a heart. Just keep up the pretty visuals and *everybody* is happy.

"300"

Happy filmgoing, Tak.

"300"

Happy filmgoing, Tak.

Rather a bit of corruption of actual historical events as opposed to Ridley's muddled crap. The "Father of Lies" is still a better writer than Lindelof.

• 9 months later...

Thread resurrection!

http://www.thewrap.com/prometheus-2-lands-green-lantern-writer-may-feature-multiple-michael-fassbenders-exclusive/

Did I miss the news that this movie did well enough to warrant a sequel or continuation?

-b.

Boxoffice take was nearly triple it's budget, and it was generally well reviewed.

• 1 year later...