FURIOUS OVER NEW CONAN (Conan the Barbarian remake)

Agent ONE

I don't have any real issue with the actor, but the movie itself looks like full of SPFX and without any soul: it seems to be just the generic heroic fantasy movie – Conan deserves more...

I'm pretty open minded. I can deal with a Conan movie without Arnold. I heard they were trying to make the new movies closer to the books, which is an idea I like.

But the teaser and trailers I've seen look pretty terrible. Bad special effects, bad acting, and what the #$^& is up with the music? Conan is high fantasy, that pretty much requires an epic orchestral score, not bad summer action movie guitars.

At the moment, until something convinces me that it's just a case of bad marketing, I've no interest in the movie.

I do gotta say, tho, I like the costume design and look of the actors. If all I'd seen so far had been still images, I'd probably be pretty hyped for this movie.

I'm pretty open minded. I can deal with a Conan movie without Arnold. I heard they were trying to make the new movies closer to the books, which is an idea I like.

Pretty funny how times change, I remember just before Arnold's Conan movie came out - people were complaining that Arnie didn't look like Conan.

...what the #$^& is up with the music? Conan is high fantasy, that pretty much requires an epic orchestral score, not bad summer action movie guitars.

That bothers me 10x more than anything else.

By the time he was 62, Conan was king of Aquilona. No action to be had there.

Really? There has never been an action movie that involved a king...

The other movies sure didn't follow REH strictly, either, so there would be plenty of room for adaptation. My dream King Conan movie would basically have Milius back (of course) and that the Governator to be more of a reflection of King Osric from the Barbarian. Obviously not quite as "sodded." Possibly a 'passing of the torch' movie, but I would probably prefer that for a sequel and this one would mostly be a less impetuous Conan struggling with his age and declining ability while at the same time retaining the ethos he built up over the years. Of course, he wouldn't suffer the same fate as Osric...

My dream fantasy Conan project would be 'Queen of the Black Coast'. No origins story, no background etc, just the whole story in one tight 90 min movie, accurate to RAH's original story. Now that would be something.

Yeah, that's the feeling I have about it. I'll see it, but I'll wait for the DVD.

Its one of those movies that I am so disappointed with right out of the gate, I don't even want a DVD rental going on record. I will buy the bootleg on a streetcorner in Hong Kong.

Well upon seeing the trailer I agree with stackpole, who wrote the novelization. The overall story, and even the actor, are closer to the source material in overall feel, look, and he even agreed that the story would fit in with the majority of RHEs works. However, upon seeing the movie itself, and it was a rough cut without effects, he was left feeling flat about it. Too much special effects made it in that overpowered the story. He said it could still be good, but he will need to see how the finished effects and final editting turn out. Also the version he saw had little or no music so that didn't help.

Also, the music in the trailer may not be in the final film, often time they just use what is available and it might not be from the movie, so don't judge it on the trailer music.

Its one of those movies that I am so disappointed with right out of the gate, I don't even want a DVD rental going on record. I will buy the bootleg on a streetcorner in Hong Kong.

renting it takes far less effort than going all the way to HK to get a bootleg. That kinda makes it seem like you REALLY want to see it. lol.

renting it takes far less effort than going all the way to HK to get a bootleg. That kinda makes it seem like you REALLY want to see it. lol.

LOL

I will be in HK anyway.

I might watch a an download......might. I'm just curious how bad this thing could be. If it's unbearable, I can always delete it and watch the original version to regain my sanity. I just can't imagine this fruitcake getting away with telling me what's best in life. It can only be done by Arnie (or at least a CG version of him):

Edited by peter

Really? There has never been an action movie that involved a king...

Doesn't Peter Jackson's "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" Count? I loved the battle at Helm's Deep. I aslo liked how the king of Rohan got out of his funk near the end of the siege.

Doesn't Peter Jackson's "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" Count? I loved the battle at Helm's Deep. I aslo liked how the king of Rohan got out of his funk near the end of the siege.

I was being sarcastic. That should have obvious considering what I was responding to.

Meh. I sh*t on this movie. <_<

The original Conan just came on amc tonight. Godda**ed classic. Doesn't need to be re-told.

Sandahl Bergman's Valeria is one of the truly great warrior woman movie characters; still one of my all-time favs. Valeria and Conan's romance is one of the all-time great love stories of film. Think about it: she fought off the demons of hell to bring him back from the brink of death. She came back from the dead, to save him and fight by his side in battle. What I wouldn't give for a woman like that....

and to quote Spike Spiegel: --I love a woman who can kick my ass.

Edited by reddsun1

Meh. I sh*t on this movie. <_<

The original Conan just came on amc tonight. Godda**ed classic. Doesn't need to be re-told.

Sandahl Bergman's Valeria is one of the truly great warrior woman movie characters; still one of my all-time favs. Valeria and Conan's romance is one of the all-time great love stories of film. Think about it: she fought off the demons of hell to bring him back from the brink of death. She came back from the dead, to save him and fight by his side in battle. What I wouldn't give for a woman like that....

and to quote Spike Spiegel: --I love a woman who can kick my ass.

Except for the fact that the 82 Conan movie has almost nothing to do with the original Conan character created by Robert E. Howard...

Look the 82 Conan movie is a great fantasy film. It is just not the real Conan.

Except for the fact that the 82 Conan movie has almost nothing to do with the original Conan character created by Robert E. Howard...

Look the 82 Conan movie is a great fantasy film. It is just not the real Conan.

To most of us, Arnold is the real conan, and the books are junk.

I read the books after I saw the movie. I was seriously disappointed. Flat uninteresting, totally one dimensional character. Sorry if you are a fan.

I read the books after I saw the movie. I was seriously disappointed. Flat uninteresting, totally one dimensional character. Sorry if you are a fan.

Yes. No Schwarzenegger = Not a good Conan.

Arnold is closer to He-man than conan I reckon.

I think a new he-man movie with more fantasy villains is better for now. (think of the prawns from district 9 for example - I love this movie)

The first Conan to me didn't have enough monsters that look scary and stuff. LOTR gave us all kinds of stuff like the balrog, the troll, the battle scenes with the giant elephants, ring wraiths that flew on flying snakebird things etc

We need a new LOTR fantasy movie like that.

And it has to be a violent one like 300. He-man Remake with Arnie is the only path for him now.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

• 2 weeks later...

That's okay.

I find it hard to believe that you read the books based on that. It is pretty obvious you did not. TO call the literary Conan by Robert E Howard one dimensional in comparison to the very one dimensional Milus version is pretty strange.

I just prefer my Conan with brains,better stories,hotter women,greater villains and a better narrative free from Nietzsche cliches and samurai movie add ins.

That's okay.

I find it hard to believe that you read the books based on that. It is pretty obvious you did not. TO call the literary Conan by Robert E Howard one dimensional in comparison to the very one dimensional Milus version is pretty strange.

I just prefer my Conan with brains,better stories,hotter women,greater villains and a better narrative free from Nietzsche cliches and samurai movie add ins.

Maybe I need to give it another try. I just remembering him showing up to some problem, then killing everyone to solve the problem.

Hey Agent One, the history of 'Conan' publishing is pretty bad. Robert E Howard wrote some original short stories for pulp magazines. Most of these are a lot of fun, and have been collected in modern times in book form, so you might find 'The collected stories of Conan' or something in a local bookshop. The best of these short stories is 'Queen of the Black Coast' which is a simply awesome short story and kind of encapsulates everything RAH wanted to do with Conan.

However, after RAH died, publishers wanted 'more Conan' so they got various hack writers to write full novels about Conan. Every one of these are bad, and the latter ones ruined their author's reputations they were so bad. So if you've picked up a 'novel' put it down immediately and go and find Robert E Howard's short story collection on Conan. Even if you just read Queen of the Black Coast, I don't think you will be disappointed. But be sure to read the 'Tower of the Elephant' (I think?) which is another early Conan story. Both of these stories have elements that turn up in the movie, but if I tell you it may ruin the stories for you. Far from 'killing everyone' to solve problems, Conan's adventures in these two stories are unpredictable, fun and mythic.

The best versions are the new DEL Ray reprints.

http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Conan-Cimmerian-Original-Adventures/dp/0345461517/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307478343&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Bloody-Crown-Conan-Cimmeria-Book/dp/0345461525/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1307478343&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Conquering-Sword-Conan-Cimmeria-Book/dp/0345461533/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1307478343&sr=8-7

All the original REH stories. None of the crap filler and re-editing that De Camp and Lin Carter did.

Also with new illustrations by some great artists like Mark Shultz and Gary Gianni.

• 2 weeks later...