The MW rewatches M7 together Thread

VFTF1

Thanks for the links - I think these are great for people who've seen this and appreciate the back story. I prefer to read this sort of thing after I've experienced the story (same practice I use with movies, too). So I'll be referring back to these after I finish the series.

And thanks for the spoiler warnings - always nice to have that up front so I don't inadvertently read something I shouldn't.

I really don't get all this RPG stuff... is there any use for it??

Well I suppose if you play the game it comes in handy.

Unfortunately a lot of the links from the page itself don't work, so it's hard to tell what the objective of this particular game is.

Well I suppose if you play the game it comes in handy.

Unfortunately a lot of the links from the page itself don't work, so it's hard to tell what the objective of this particular game is.

If it's Dave Deitrich, then it's a Robotech game. And one of my personal pet peeves is when people try to plump out their Robotech games by throwing in a bunch of Macross stuff. <_<

If it's Dave Deitrich, then it's a Robotech game. And one of my personal pet peeves is when people try to plump out their Robotech games by throwing in a bunch of Macross stuff. <_<

I agree about the Robotech thing, I also only like Macross.

Please forgive me the spoiler bellow.

What I liked in that link is that it says to what purpose Sivil was designed.

She is a weapon, designed by the Protoculture, and that link qualifies what Kind of weapon she is.

A sort of Search and Destroy tool. I found it interesting because it's like reading a weapon spec sheet.

Allthoug it is an RPG game info, meaning, they base that in the Macross 7 series and extrapolate ... I found that interpretation about Sivil very intersting,

mostly the intial few paragraphs (are pretty accurate with M7)...

Instead of copy and pasting it or just writing it with my words, I found that owner of that perception/input should be mentioned.. that's why I posted the link..

As I mentioned before, I'm a late macross fan, just watch all of it a month ago

(took me about a month to go all of it).. I really don't know who Dave Deitrich is neither played any Macross RPGs...

I understand that linking Robotech in here might be "ofensive", but it was totally not intentional... defenetelly I'm not into robotech

(I've watched some of it , some 10 episodes, and didnt like).

Guys, I will post Episode 20 summary as soon I get home, I've already did the summary, but it is in my home computer... it's like 10 PM here and still got some work in my office...

If it's Dave Deitrich, then it's a Robotech game.

You mean Steelfalcon? Sure, 2/3 of the content on the website is Robotech related, but the Macross Mecha Designs section is ONLY about Macross, and is not one of the pathetic attempts to graft Macross content into Robotech. The only problem with Steelfalcon is that the stats were written in 1998 or earlier. So, they're mostly based on what was seen in the series up until then, and not from printed statistical data, which wasn't available in English at that time, because it wasn't even printed in Japanese!

Nevertheless, if you're looking for a more accurate and up-to-date set of stats, try: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/Sketchley/Statistics.htm

(Entries with © before them are the most accurate, up-to-date, and have canon information highlighted in green).

It's just a game rules system, with seperate sections for Robotech and Macross. It's not like he's subverting the fluff to jam fit it into the Robotech universe, is he?

Heck, I remember playing in a Gundam game using modded Palladium Robotech rules once.

Hint taken, so let's move on.

Episode 20- Lady's Temptation

An interesting episode on many levels, since in a way, it marks the introduction of some new aspects into the series and kind of revisits others.

We go back to the very first venue were we saw Fire Bomber play in episode one. Only that this time there are a number of differences. Fire Bomber are now superstars in their own right and the concert is absolutely packed. This time it's not Max watching the concert but Miria, who's concerned for Mylene's wellbeing.

Sivil shows off some more of her incredible powers by taking over Rex's body and using it to get closer to Basara. An absolutely unforgettable moment is when she climbs on the stage in front of a surprised audience and kisses a for once overwhelmed Basara. Moreover, if there were any doubts about Mylene's feelings for her co-singer one only has to see her reaction to the kiss and sly move to break it up.

Meanwhile, in a galaxy far, far away, Lt. Docker and a group of pilots who have recovered from the first attacks, get to try out the new VF-19 ( I hope I got it right and if not I beg the mechamasters to forgive my sinful soul :)) under the watchful eye of Max. They're not the only ones planning and scheming however, since we also get to see Gepelnitch and his cronies setting their sights on another Macross fleet.

Back on City 7, a tired Basara once again goes out to face the enemy and receives considerable help from Gamlin, who while still highly critical of Basara's methods, is giving him a bit less hassle. On his return home, Basara is once again "hit on" by Rex/Sivil but of course instead of having his way with her, he takes his guitar and sings. True to form, Sivil cannot stand being in the presence of his song and flees, leaving behind a very confused Rex.

The episode leaves a lot of things to ponder principal of which is Sivil's continuing fascination with Basara. It's also interesting to consider how much power does she have over a body she takes over? Could she have forced Rex's body to do something she wouldn't want to? Does Basara like Rex as suggested by his "We'll continue later" after the breakup of their kiss? Why does the director tease us so with those fine suggestive views of Rex's body?

Why is Gepelnitch targeting another fleet instead of staying focusing on 7?

I have many other questions but I'm very tired to write any more. Forgive the somewhat chaotic, unstructured and disorganized writeup...

Hi Marzan, nice takes on the episode... I put mine down bellow.

Its an episode full of interesting comments and questions, as soon as time allows I will post some about your comments Marzan.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Episode 20 - A Lady's Temptation (Really true.. hotest episode ever)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - Bassara's Effort

Episode 20th starts with Basara working hard on finding a "music more powerfull than missiles". (Does Holy Lonly Light is the music in the background ? )

Over the sunden he falls to the ground and says something like "Something is Not right".

Not sure what that really means,maybe he fells that his music does not have what it takes to reach enemies heart

or if he is just felling tired/exausted.

Allthoug he quickly get's up and keep playing.. that's how strong and determined he is.

{Comment - a}

2 - Ray and Akiko are getting closer (at least looks like to me, any comments ?)

When Akiko and Ray are talking to each other about the show that is about to start,

Ray reconizes all effort that Akiko did to get the band such fame and audience and them she replies to him :

"I felt in love with the music"... by the way she looks it sounded more like.. "I felt in love with you".

Seems like they are slowly becoming more than friends.

post-13011-1273418703_thumb.jpg

3 - First Fire Bomber's big Show/audience and First time Bassara is not Late

Finaly Planet Dance is number 1 hit on Macross7 Fleet

Bassara makes a big entrance skydiving {Comment - B} from City7 top roof.

Milene mentions something about a new music that Bassara was working and he was finishing...(what music is it, Holy Lonly Light ?)

Everybody in the band is very exited with the band success specially Mylene, she jumps and screems Thank you , thank you.

4 - First body possession by Protodevlin

Sivil takes Rex's body.

Rex goes wild on the bike Jumps over Miria car {comment - C }, almost hitting poor Michael and falls directly into

Fire Bomber concert.she drives trought the crowd calling all attetion,steals the flowers from flower girl,

jumps into stage, gives flowers to Basara and ... gives him a Hollywood like Mega Kiss.

I like when Basara says in a very natural way, just after her kiss..

"Rex, we continue this later..."

That kind adresses or if you preffer gives a better clue to answer the question from past episodes

about cute Straws in his refrigerator. (Mylene was wondering if lot of girls use to show up at his place).

Mylene becames very jealous and of course...furious...I just find very funny all faces she makes before and after that kiss.

post-13011-1273418920_thumb.jpg

5 - First attacked Pilots are fully Recovered and VF-19 is incorporated to M7 Fleet

Hate that Docker got promoted and Gamlin not..

Does not make sense to me.. Docker was hit and spend all time in semi-coma, while Gamlin was working his ass off protecting the city.

6 - First time Big Boobs apeareance (or almost apearence)

REX - Super Hot Blond .

With Sivil's possession she tends to be more affected by Bassara's influence tha never.. always ziping down her bike suit to the point where we get a good but not complete sight of her tits.

Nice curves specially on the end when she fells from the bike and thinks he had an accident (end of the episode).

7- Milene and Gamlin

Milene and Gamlin are officially friends, (Milene says so)

They had already been trough a few dates, Gamlin is always going after her, showing up in concerts and inviting her for meals , etc...

This time he brought her some yellow and red flowers...(to me this is kind a test)

Enemy attack alarm goes off.. Gamlin has to run to fight, she gaves him a Yellow flower.. later on, in VF-17 cockpit he says "I actually wanted the red one"

8 - First M5 Fleet apperance.

Gepernerich is playing with his puzzle toy (what I think is a graphic representation from Spiritia Farm).

and HE (yes that is a DUDE!) sees a change in his original plan to get both fleets in his spiritia farm dream.

9 - Final

REX is in Bassaras room watting from him to return, he is exausted, and Rex has to help him avoid falling to the ground a couple of times..

He starts singing to her... she ( still under Sivil possession) gets affected by his song and runs away from it.

leaving Fire Bomber building screeming,runing with her tits bouncing almost over her suit...

Right in front the building the entire band is wacthing that increadible show that once again got Mylene offguard.

Finaly Sivil leaves Rex body, of course Rex can't remember a thing, she thinks she got a bike accident.

Ray and Velfidias are the only ones that notice that a bright light ball (Sivil) (Kind make me think that Holy Lonly Light is Sivil's theme song.. any takes?)

raises from the direction where Rex was heading and notices that something was not right, they might get more aware

Mylene missed it because she was too jealous about seeing partially naked Rex running away from Bassara's place.

Conclusion :One of my favorite.

Great Episode, full of "Firsts" and Hot scenes.

There are hints of characters and plot progression and funny parts too.

--------------------------------//----------------------------------------

---- Botton Notes --------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------//----------------------------------------

(a) Bassara's Guitars

In the begining of this episode, Bassara is playing with his pratice guitar that is

very similar to the one he uses in the show...

Makes me think that actually both guitars are the same type /brand.

Just one of them got customize in a "futurisct" hight tech look for the shows.

(Maybe that bubles on the guitar is to go with the bubles in their outfits...)

post-13011-1273418852_thumb.jpg

post-13011-1273418858.jpg

(b) Bassara's Parachuting from M7 City roof..

Actually that would be classified as BASE jump..., no way It would have enought time to do a trike(*) like that towards to stage direction.(at least from that view perspective)

and his parachute would have to be 5 times bigger than that one to make a precision landing like that what actually would not be usefull for BASE jump, since it would not fully open on time.

Bigger parachutes.. longer to open...

BUT...... M7 city might have lower gravity than earth.. what would allow him to do that !!! (any takes/comments ?)

(*)Trike : Position where you put your arms behind and extend your legs as maximum as possible forming a airfoil alowing you to "fly horizontally" while in freefall.

post-13011-1273419397_thumb.jpg

C - Miria in a Rock Concert ?

Yes, Miria went to keep watch on Mylene, (Max did that before) she is becaming more and more protective of Milene since she is showing some tendence to go into dangerous situations.

(as last episode when she and Gamlin went to rescue Miria).

Miria knows that zentradi blood flows on Mylene's veins and is trying to protect her by having Michael waching her even closer.

Edited by zerodigit1

5 - First attacked Pilots are fully Recovered and VF-19 is incorporated to M7 Fleet

Hate that Docker got promoted and Gamlin not..

Does not make sense to me.. Docker was hit and spend all time in semi-coma, while Gamlin was working his ass off protecting the city.

Don't forget as well that Docker was only hit after Gamlin dodged the Spirtia draining beam that was aimed at him. So they are pilots of equal caliber more or less. It's Docker's absence that definitely helped him seal the new promotion though. Its simply less of a hassle on everyone to re-assign Docker, the recovered Ace pilot who has been out of the loop for months, to the captain of a fresh new squad then it was to transfer Gamlin and reduce Emerald Force to squad comprised of only a captain in sickbay.

Don't forget as well that Docker was only hit after Gamlin dodged the Spirtia draining beam that was aimed at him. So they are pilots of equal caliber more or less.

Well that's true, but still not Gamlin fault that Docker was hit... Docker was careless, Gamlin was fighting enemy when Docker passed behind him.

See.. two figthers shooting each other, you take the decision to fly behind one of them, of course you going to be hit, he was lucky that was the spiritia draining beam not real fire what could have killed him. That kinds makes me get the impression that maybe Docker was not an ace and made a rookie mistake.

It's Docker's absence that definitely helped him seal the new promotion though.

Sorry, did not understand that part, I appreciate if you could provide more input on it.

Its simply less of a hassle on everyone to re-assign Docker, the recovered Ace pilot who has been out of the loop for months, to the captain of a fresh new squad then it was to transfer Gamlin and reduce Emerald Force to squad comprised of only a captain in sickbay.

It is a very good comment, what I agree with part of it, but I would like to wait on further episodes to address a couple of details on the above.

I think 21 was last week - just don't have any comments on it yet (and I'm too scared to do a review ;))

We should be watching 22 in a couple days (tomorrow for me but I get friday before most of you).

Maybe we should try to pull off a double whammy, episodes 21 and 22 this weekend?

And I don't think a 'in depth' review is necessary (God knows mine suck). Just random thoughts on the chapter one has just seen suffice to start a discussion.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. I'm so thrilled to see that this thread is 20 pages long! I'm sorry I dropped off the wagon even though I was the one who initially asked everybody t come aboard....

But, since my last post in this thread

1) My old laptop died from a virus

2) All my anime was destroyed

3) A flood whiped out a large chunk of my country

4) the President of my country died in a plane crash and all life stopped for a few weeks of national mourning.

5) a volcano exploded spewing ash and soot into the sky

6) I got sick with Angina and was on heavy anti-biotics

7) my business went under

8) I went bankrupt

9) my oldest dog died

10) a police car ran into my car and destroyed it

But...

Now everything is back to normal ! :-) Relvatively speaking :-)

For now, I'm downloading and BURNING SDFM TV. I will get to Macross 7 soon and maybe - if I'm lucky - I'll just back into this conversation soon.

Meanwhile, I'll begin going back and reading all the previous posts that I missed - since I'm sure there's a lot of great discussion and ideas there.

Anyways - thrilled to see the thread is so long and that people are apparently having fun re-watching this great anime!!

Hope to be able to be fully back on topic and contribuing by the time I next post in this thread!!

Thanks to everybody ! :-)

Pete

(who has an immense sense of humor and therefore hopes that people find the above list of horrible events a bit comedic - because that's how I felt as they happened one-after-another without stop - to the point where it was just getting ridiculous :-) )

That is certainly quite the chain of events. This thread has actually kind of stalled. I've only watched up to episode 20 because I have yet to download the remastered copies of any later episodes, so I've been late on that. Seems everyone else just got busy or forgot.

Maybe your return can reinvigorate the viewing.

Wow. I'm so thrilled to see that this thread is 20 pages long! I'm sorry I dropped off the wagon even though I was the one who initially asked everybody t come aboard....

4) the President of my country died in a plane crash and all life stopped for a few weeks of national mourning.

8) I went bankrupt

9) my oldest dog died

But...

For now, I'm downloading and BURNING SDFM TV. I will get to Macross 7 soon and maybe - if I'm lucky - I'll just back into this conversation soon.

Meanwhile, I'll begin going back and reading all the previous posts that I missed - since I'm sure there's a lot of great discussion and ideas there.

Anyways - thrilled to see the thread is so long and that people are apparently having fun re-watching this great anime!!

Hope to be able to be fully back on topic and contribuing by the time I next post in this thread!!

Pete

(who has an immense sense of humor and therefore hopes that people find the above list of horrible events a bit comedic - because that's how I felt as they happened one-after-another without stop - to the point where it was just getting ridiculous :-) )

Dude, move to the U.S., at the very least when the cops destroy your car, you can sue them!

Nah. Their car was destroyed too so my Mazda went out in a blaze of glory :-) It was poetic justice. Besides, they technically had the right of way - they had their siren on...but without sound...just lights which I couldn't see given the position we were in. Nobody was hurt. I got a traffic ticket and that's that. I figured if I walked away from it without killing myself or anyone else - I better not push my luck :-)

Now get back to talking about Macross 7 :-) I've got a lot of downloading to do before I can catch up with you guys... :-)

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

That is certainly quite the chain of events. This thread has actually kind of stalled. I've only watched up to episode 20 because I have yet to download the remastered copies of any later episodes, so I've been late on that. Seems everyone else just got busy or forgot.

Maybe your return can reinvigorate the viewing.

Yeah, got behind a bit and planned to catch up. Run up to and the World Cup itself take up a lot of free time, that won't change till that event is over.

8) I went bankrupt

9) my oldest dog died

But...

Pete

Hi Pete,

If there's such a thing as "balance" in this world you'll hopefully soon have a run of immense luck and good fortune...:)

The thread had kind of slowed down the last couple of weeks, but hopefully we can pick it up this week were we had left off....

Well, I finally forced myself to watch 7 after a few weeks of deliberation. I had watched 3 episodes originally and pretty much dismissed the series outright. It just doesn't have that magic touch I get with the others. I'm through 40 episodes and it's had its ups and downs... At least I get a few laughs from each episode, so that's bonus points!

Anyway, I did have a question. When Physica died and Gamlin wanted to give the present to his "son", Gamlin witnessed Physica's wife with another man. That kind of goes with what Physica said when he was talking about his little boy, "Even my own son does not recognize me". However, I was actually confused as to what really was going on. Was he unknowingly raising another man's child? Was his wife cheating on him? Or was he just completely nuts and imagined the whole thing in his mind?

If I recall correctly, there is a running debate on this. When I first watch Macross 7, the impression I got was the his wife had left him for another man because he didn't spend enough time with her and the kid. He loved his airplane more than he loved her - or so she thought.

Pete

Yeah, but I don't know if that falls in line with when Gamlin sees the boy refer to the other man as his father. Gamlin's reaction after seeing that is pretty profound. It was as if it was completely unexpected and almost horrible to see.

Damn, Pete, I hope things start looking up soon...

I myself, was holding out for my Remastered set (care of JasonC) to arrive before going any further. It arrived last week, and WOW, what a difference in quality!! I managed to get up through eipsode 24 before popping out of town.

This time, I'm seeing more characterization in Sivil than before, which is nice. On the other hand, by this episode, her exploration of "Spiritia Ecstasy" is just as repetative as Planet Dance. This episode also marks the appearance of the controvetial VF-11 MAXL Kai, aka Valk-with-Boobs. While not a big fan of the design, I did think it was kind of fun that Sound Force's first sortie was a total bomb.

Fun stuff, and glad to be back in the game. And once again, thanks to JasonC for the awesome set. They will be invaluable reference for my 1/5000 M7 ships (which I'm hoping to work on a bit while I'm away from the house and work).

Oh my God!!!!!!!! Outside my window - RIGHT NOW -

Europe - the 80s haird band - is standing the middle of the street in the center of Warsaw playing their hearts out!! It's 11:30 in the morning!! I was teaching class when suddenly a guitar ripped across the entire city!!! And there they are!! Just playing and playing!!! Rocking and Rolling like it's 1984!!!

TOTAL FIRE BOMBER MOMENT!!

SO PSYCHED!!!

Pete

This episode also marks the appearance of the controvetial VF-11 MAXL Kai, aka Valk-with-Boobs.

No, see, it's foreshadowing. Mecha-with-boobs and Grace are closely related. It's quite possible that Grace's "version 3.0" body would have been a VF-27 with boobs or something. It's the underlying theme in Macross---"the power of song" is the obvious one, but the merging of humanity with technology is the other. First they introduce much more "human" valks in 7. Now in Frontier, we have very mechanical people (Brera and Grace).

No, see, it's foreshadowing. Mecha-with-boobs and Grace are closely related. It's quite possible that Grace's "version 3.0" body would have been a VF-27 with boobs or something. It's the underlying theme in Macross---"the power of song" is the obvious one, but the merging of humanity with technology is the other. First they introduce much more "human" valks in 7. Now in Frontier, we have very mechanical people (Brera and Grace).

Nah. Super Part equipped Klan Klan is the ultimate outgrowth of the mecha-with-boobs. Grace is just one of the in-between steps. :lol:

I dunno, depending on which version you see as more accurate, the 1/72 VF-27 kit is pretty well endowed all on it's own. I mean, look at the size of those intakes! :huh::lol:

DSC02463-1.jpg

(credit goes to Jarrod for the pic from back in the last bandai kit thread)

As for Mac7, I have to confess, I blew through all of M7 in a week or so a while back. I tried catching up to where the thread was, but when I got there I didn't want to stop. Part of it was just because I realized I didn't remember a good portion of the plot after Mac7 got force-folded, and I actually wanted to see what happened. Another was that, even as corny as Sound Force was in some ways, the plot really starts picking up speed there. It's just much more interesting to me to see a group fly out with a purpose, instead of Basara running wild while the rest of the cast looks on and goes "Huh?"

Most of all though.. I think I just wanted to hear something other than Planet Dance and Totsugeki Love Heart for the umpteenth time. :p Seriously, I think my favorite moment in the entire series is when they use Holy Lonely Night for the first time. I mean.. all the songs up to that just seem so... happy.. I think Holy Lonely Night is the first song they play that's actually in a minor key, and it feels so much darker... it just fits the situation so much better in my mind. Shoot, I play that song sometimes playing combat sims myself, it just feels right.

I guess in a way it's kind of the same way that Aimo O.C. feels so different than when Ranka sings the normal version, or the Bird Human version. It's a different tone entirely, and just feels right at home as a soundtrack for a battle, even if it is a weird perversion of the original song.

What still makes me sad is that some of my favorite Fire Bomber tracks were never even used in the series. I really enjoy both Tread the Lightless Night and Diamond Calling, and wish they had gotten used. I think Mac7's greatest fault might be that the same music was used so many times. It's not bad, but hearing even your very favorite song over and over and over can make you tired of it. Granted, it makes sense.. I mean, if you traveled with a band, yes, you'd hear the same songs at every concert. Makes me wonder how tired actual band musicians get of their own music after a while.