The MW rewatches M7 together Thread

VFTF1

Alright Episode 24. Now I could literally could spend hours listing all the neat little nuances, but for the sake of time I really want to point out how some clever inversions between this episode and Episode 8 of SDF Macross for the time being.

Specifically I like how Gamlin gets renewed interest from Mylene inadvently simply by showing no interest in her for once. He simple waves his hand and walks away as that “jerk” Basara does all the time. Understandably at the moment he his priority is sorting his emotions out with regards to his comrades both old and new and not chasing after his love interest Mylene. Which is a clear 180 from Hikaru's actions and luck in SDFM 8.

In case you don't remember in SDFM 8 Hikaru initially ignored his newly assigned “subordinates” as if they were part of the room. That is until Kakizaki pleaded “Please take us with you leader” and the idea of impressing Minmay entered his head. Naturally it backfires in many hilarious ways and leaves him with a whiny bi...rthday girl demanding a present :lol:

Anyway anyone got anything else they want to add?

vlcsnap2010102714h31m31.th.png

vlcsnap2010102715h17m18.th.png

vlcsnap2010102714h57m12.th.png

Alright Episode 24. Now I could literally could spend hours listing all the neat little nuances, but for the sake of time I really want to point out how some clever inversions between this episode and Episode 8 of SDF Macross for the time being.

Specifically I like how Gamlin gets renewed interest from Mylene inadvently simply by showing no interest in her for once. He simple waves his hand and walks away as that "jerk" Basara does all the time. Understandably at the moment he his priority is sorting his emotions out with regards to his comrades both old and new and not chasing after his love interest Mylene. Which is a clear 180 from Hikaru's actions and luck in SDFM 8.

In case you don't remember in SDFM 8 Hikaru initially ignored his newly assigned "subordinates" as if they were part of the room. That is until Kakizaki pleaded "Please take us with you leader" and the idea of impressing Minmay entered his head. Naturally it backfires in many hilarious ways and leaves him with a whiny bi...rthday girl demanding a present :lol:

Anyway anyone got anything else they want to add?

Finally had the time to catch up and did episodes 22 to 24 in one go to refresh my memory.

Your comparison between Gamlin and Hikaru is on the money. And Mylene does end up going after him when ignored. Typical, huh?

The one thing that sticks to my mind after episode 24, is that Sivil seems to have left a lasting impression on Basara. Considering what we've seen so far from him and his relationship to women, one cannot help to wonder if Sivil is the only "female" to have broken through his "exclusive" love for music. I use the term female loosely since it we're at this stage not really sure what Sivil is.

Which brings me to another point. Isn't episode 24 the first time Exedol mentions the Protodevlin in public? I'm pretty sure he's mentioned them before but more kind of in an internal monologue kinda way,

I having been re-watching Mac 7. I have watched it, D7 and the movie in their entirety previously, but have been unable to get msyelf through the series again.

I am past episode 25 now, want to know my trick?...

Finger on the fast forward button. By fast forwarding through singing animations, and stock singing valkyrie footage, I have been able to dramatically decrease episode length and increase episode enjoyment. During the the episodes 10-20 I had even been enjoying the series.

Sadly; however, I think I will be needing to fast forward more as pretty soon minus a couple episodes. Episode 26 is coming up (my personal favorite) but after that it is going to turn into a permanent power rangers fest. Almost all the mech battles are going to turn into sound boosters. I suppose we get one good scene of Gamlin's power up for his rifle used 100 times and the Stargazer as well.

Maybe I will be surprised though, who knows?

On another note, my copy of Mac 7 doesn't have the Mac 7 P-L-U-S episodes on them, is there another source for these other then youtube?

Edited by Xx-SKULL-ONE-xX

Like your take on how Basara song is intended not only to reach the Proteodevlin, but also to the humans (in this case the somewhat inflexible members of the UN Spacy).

Thanks. It's something I never noticed earlier - at least not as directly. Technically Basara's influence over the humans is primarily on dislay via how Gamlin changes his feelings about him... but yeah...

guys guys GUYS.....

I was thinking.....why don't we watch Macross together....for real? I mean like literally together via a stream service like Justin.TV? That would be pretty cool. Has anyone else suggested this?

I think this wouldn't be possible due to time differences, not to mention other logistical issues.

I having been re-watching Mac 7. I have watched it, D7 and the movie in their entirety previously, but have been unable to get msyelf through the series again.

I am past episode 25 now, want to know my trick?...

Finger on the fast forward button. By fast forwarding through singing animations, and stock singing valkyrie footage, I have been able to dramatically decrease episode length and increase episode enjoyment. During the the episodes 10-20 I had even been enjoying the series.

Sadly; however, I think I will be needing to fast forward more as pretty soon minus a couple episodes. Episode 26 is coming up (my personal favorite) but after that it is going to turn into a permanent power rangers fest. Almost all the mech battles are going to turn into sound boosters. I suppose we get one good scene of Gamlin's power up for his rifle used 100 times and the Stargazer as well.

Maybe I will be surprised though, who knows?

On another note, my copy of Mac 7 doesn't have the Mac 7 P-L-U-S episodes on them, is there another source for these other then youtube?

Well... I don't care enough about mecha battles to be bothered by stock footage. Sure, I appreciate and love the fact that later Macross shows (and anime in general) no longer rely so much on stock footage - but ultimately it's the soap opera of M7 and the human angle that interests me.

Pete

OK, Episode 24. I think this was a Gamlin episode overall. I liked this episode, I was thinking a lot of the same things that have already been mentioned: Namely, the comparison between Hikaru and Gamlin. Their reaction to their subordinates' introduction are quite different. Hikaru is all about trying to impress the girl with his achievements in the military, while Gamlin is all about his devotion to his duty, which in turn effortlessly grants him the sympathy of the girl. I think that was quite well portrayed in this episode, and adds an extra bit of enjoyment if you have seen the original show. Gamlin is not just a carbon copy of Hikaru.

Another thing is that we still see Sound Force struggling to keep it together in battle. They're not just instant heroes who get into their fighters, sing and save the day. They don't know what the hell they're doing! That's interesting to watch. Meanwhile, this episode also introduced the Gamlin/Docker rivalry that will be continue for a while.

I was surprised to find myself really enjoying this one because I had thought it to be one of the more "nothing really happens"-type of episodes, but I'm glad that was not the case. :)

Meanwhile, this episode also introduced the Gamlin/Docker rivalry that will be continue for a while.

Whenever I think of Docker, he reminds me of the typical cocky guy in high school who would try to prove his worth with his prowess in sports, but had little else to show for himself.

Poor Gamlin.

So... hopefully this weekend I'll managed to download episode 25 and review that as well. Meanwhile, I need to copy and paste my reviews from the first few episodes that I put here onto my website...

it IS time to watch episode 25 at the end of this week -right? :-0

pete

guys guys GUYS.....

I was thinking.....why don't we watch Macross together....for real? I mean like literally together via a stream service like Justin.TV? That would be pretty cool. Has anyone else suggested this?

I think this wouldn't be possible due to time differences, not to mention other logistical issues.

I still say we should meet up and do it. Who cares about the time differences? I am up pretty much all day and night and would be willing to meet with up with fellow Macross fans over at Justin.TV for some Macross viewing. C'mon, it's much better than just watching it on our own and coming here to recant what we saw. That's already done everyday here lol.

So... hopefully this weekend I'll managed to download episode 25 and review that as well. Meanwhile, I need to copy and paste my reviews from the first few episodes that I put here onto my website...

it IS time to watch episode 25 at the end of this week -right? :-0

pete

Yeah I'm up for episode 25 this weekend. Looking forward to your review too.

Isn't episode 24 the first time Exedol mentions the Protodevlin in public? I'm pretty sure he's mentioned them before but more kind of in an internal monologue kinda way,

The moment your thinking of is actually in Episode 23. Since the M7 was separated from the fleet for roughly 9 episodes (end of Eps 13 to the end of Eps 22) their was a live video conference between all the captains in the fleet. That's when Exedol moans "Protodevlin" and retreats to his hole explaining that "Protodevlin cause Zendtradi to lose their minds and must not be spoken of."

The one thing that sticks to my mind after episode 24, is that Sivil seems to have left a lasting impression on Basara. Considering what we've seen so far from him and his relationship to women, one cannot help to wonder if Sivil is the only "female" to have broken through his "exclusive" love for music.

Well the two were "really getting to know each other" with that passionate kiss in Episode 23. After all they were both able to magically learn each others name and thhen say while they looked into each other's eyes. Well I guess Sivil could have just learned Basara's name from seeing him on TV while she walked around town, but there is no practical way that Basara would know any of the Protodevlin's by name. Then to top of all off having an alien chick literally explode on you after kissing you is probably a very unforgettable experience on its own.

I use the term female loosely since it we're at this stage not really sure what Sivil is.

I think its fair to say that Sivil is certainly female in gender and emotionally, but that she is certainly more “alien” in physique then anything ever seen by the Macross 7 fleet or us the audience at this point.

Also wanna point out that the fact that Sivil two whole pages in the Miss Macross 7 Artbook must count for something. Its disappointing though that all the most important information about her: bust, waist, hip, and height measurements were all left with question marks.

“[basera]’s working on waking Sivil and moving her with his song.”

Not yet. At this point in the show only we the audience have seen Sivil's hibernation in the woods after the kiss. At this points its just very obvious to Basera for there to have be no sign of her after she exploded.... literally.

“But I can’t remember what Gigil’s motivation for wanting to see Sivil is.”

Gigil has a big crush on Sivil. He went through what looks to be a somewhat painful process of awakening the sleeping beauty through a huge spiritia energy transfer. Then takes more heat from Gepelnitch for doing so behind his/her back. To top it all off so far at least Gigil has always been a desperate "nice guy" when he is around her and never his usual manic self.

“I tried hard to capture the micro-second where we get a full body shot of Miria in her pretty dress – but alas – I failed.”

Yeah its pretty much impossible to grab those moments unless you can play the video frame by frame. Fortunately this is an easy feature with VLC:

1. In VLC player go to View tab and then click on “advanced interface.”

2. On the far right of this new interface is the “Frame-by-frame” button

Whenever I think of Docker, he reminds me of the typical cocky guy in high school who would try to prove his worth with his prowess in sports, but had little else to show for himself.

I always think of him as a "Dumb Focker." As in is the typical macross homage charater that has been twisted in some way. In this case same cocky chauvinistic attiude as Roy Focker, but apparently without Roy's intelligence or success with women.

I think its fair to say that Sivil is certainly female in gender and emotionally, but that she is certainly more "alien" in physique then anything ever seen by the Macross 7 fleet or us the audience at this point.

Also wanna point out that the fact that Sivil two whole pages in the Miss Macross 7 Artbook must count for something. Its disappointing though that all the most important information about her: bust, waist, hip, and height measurements were all left with question marks.

You have piqued my curiosity and now I must see this fine image for myself:D

bust, waist, hip, and height measurements were all left with question marks.

TO READ THE TEXT BELOW - HIGHLIGHT IT WITH YOUR MOUSE :-) [it's a spoiler!]

The UN Spacey people could have at least measured her when they were holding her in that confinement gizmo (in the episode where Basar "dies") ...

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

Jeez how putting up some spolier alerts next time you comment on future episodes for the new viewers out there, Pete?

In the meantime I'll download M7 25 and do a review when I can.

You have piqued my curiosity and now I must see this fine image for myself:D

Well none of the images of her in the Miss Macross 7 artbook are actually unique, they are all just touched up screen shots from the show. So you really aren't missing out on anything.

Jeez how putting up some spolier alerts next time you comment on future episodes for the new viewers out there, Pete?

Oops. Thanks for reminding me. I colored the text white. Highlighting it will reveal the spoiler info.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

what episode are we at now? I just started reading this thread now, after finally watching the whole series for the first time (i heard so many bad thing that it affected me so much), and have to say that this turned out to be my favorate macross series, and Basara my favorate all time character / hero.

what episode are we at now? I just started reading this thread now, after finally watching the whole series for the first time (i heard so many bad thing that it affected me so much), and have to say that this turned out to be my favorate macross series, and Basara my favorate all time character / hero.

We got up to episode 24. No one's reviewed episode 25 yet.

I just made it through episode 28 tonight...New Sound Weapon...I was really getting into episode 26--Death Match at Planet Lux, when my burned disc started screwing up :angry: ,so I kinda missed the last half...can anybody fill me in on what happened right after homeboy got into the Armored VF-11C?? (which was awesome looking btw!!) up till the end of that episode? And I gotta say, I was really into the whole thing until the whole giant brown dumb ass looking protodevilyn came along...I mean really???? couldn't think up anything scarier or cooler than that? Looked like a big turd with teeth.... <_<

Indeed! Episode 25 + screencaps up on dyrl.pl! BOMBA!

http://dyrl.pl/detale.html?id=961

Pete

Poor Flower Girl! Fire Bomber's biggest fan finally get's to see Basara with her flowers in his hand only to have them returned to her before even getting a chance to say anything.

More seriously now, I hadn't really though of Sivil's coma in the terms that you suggested in your review. I always thought that it was more a question of Basara's spiritia being so pure and concentrated, that it just overwhelmed her as a spiritia consuming being. But I guess you do have an interesting point. Maybe its Basara's inclination to so freely share his spiritia with everyonem than drives her into this state.

I thought it was kind of cool that the episode was all about duets. We see Max and Miria sharing a moment, Gamlin and Mylene, Akiko and Ray etc. Was well written in that regard.

Finally I really continue enjoying how much M7 uses music from previous Macross'. The song that Basara and Alice Holiday are meant to sing is "For now a friend" from Macross II (the one sung during the Moon festival).

I thought it was kind of cool that the episode was all about duets. We see Max and Miria sharing a moment, Gamlin and Mylene, Akiko and Ray etc. Was well written in that regard.

That's an excellent point. I had originally thought the title was a bit of a joke, given Alice Holiday and Basara's duet scene - but over all, you're right that it's all about Duets. Even Sivil and Gigil have a fairly "duet" like "meeting" in the evening.

Nice!

Pete

Some of the things I wondered in M7... Just started re-watching them too... I stopped at the carnival where there were old valkyries and an HWR-00 Monster with 3 old pilots (hehe)

1. Are those still buildings sticking out of the dome of City 7

2. Gravity rules are applied in the milky road... I mean you can drive from one ship through another via the milky road... what happens if a one ship strays too far a way? I guess this was fixed in Frontier by having Island Clusters instead of multiple ships.

3. Explosions due to battle outside cause winds to be blown inside City 7.

Well, I've gone and downloaded episode 26 and will watch it and review it shortly :-)

Pete

Excellent! If I'm not mistaken 26 is actually the halfway point in the series so it'll be an important milestone.

• 1 month later...