The MW rewatches M7 together Thread

VFTF1

Some Meltrans do have that "If you beat me at where I'm best at I will be your woman.". Particularly the wild untamed ones.

Millia being the text book case. Max wins her heart after three fights.

Then there is her daughter Emillia. In her eyes Basara defeated her in a rockfest, crying like her mother did being consoled by Basara she became attracted to him.

Then there is the entire Chlore fleet. Meltrans are akin to Special Forces among Bodolle Zer's fleet as we know. They have very high standards.

Basara comes in defolding in from of the command ship launching a giant speaker pod and seranades them while managing not being hit. To say the least Chlore and her entire fleet went on fangirl mode and is probably horny in the first time in their lives for a guy.

Veffidas defeating her suitor basically says if you can't defeat me you can't own me.

Some Meltrans do have that "If you beat me at where I'm best at I will be your woman.". Particularly the wild untamed ones.

Millia being the text book case. Max wins her heart after three fights.

Then there is her daughter Emillia. In her eyes Basara defeated her in a rockfest, crying like her mother did being consoled by Basara she became attracted to him.

Then there is the entire Chlore fleet. Meltrans are akin to Special Forces among Bodolle Zer's fleet as we know. They have very high standards.

Basara comes in defolding in from of the command ship launching a giant speaker pod and seranades them while managing not being hit. To say the least Chlore and her entire fleet went on fangirl mode and is probably horny in the first time in their lives for a guy.

Veffidas defeating her suitor basically says if you can't defeat me you can't own me.

Which means she'll probably stay single the rest of her life!

I wonder if Max and Milia's Knife fight Courtship is public knowledge?

Not sure but the next day Max cheerfully blurted to the love troubled cynical Hikaru he is going to get married to an enemy.

Though you wonder if he mentioned it to Global as a debrief.

Max: "We had a dogfight, she became a spy just to stalk me, had a game fight while checked her bust size, she invited me to the park at midnight had a knife fight, she fell in love with me and I proposed to her. "

Global *twitch* "Just leave the knife fight out of the press 'kay" I may be able to spin this somehow...

Maybe a leftover cel from Macross Plus??

vlcsnap2010030819h44m26.th.png

Its not a leftover cell from Macross Plus by a long shot. An OVA quality drawn cell of Guild would have stood out like a sore thumb in Macross 7. Just like the DYRL flashbacks its a case of familiar artwork from another Macross being redrawn to match the show. In this case its an angry truck driver drawn as an intentional copy of Guild with his familiar roid rage.

vlcsnap2010030819h44m26.th.png

Its not a leftover cell from Macross Plus by a long shot. An OVA quality drawn cell of Guild would have stood out like a sore thumb in Macross 7. Just like the DYRL flashbacks its a case of familiar artwork from another Macross being redrawn to match the show. In this case its an angry truck driver drawn as an intentional copy of Guild with his familiar roid rage.

At least they captured Guld emotional state quite well!

I have been extremely busy with school work and only just watched ep.11. By my count we should be getting to 14 this week? I'm not sure anymore. I'll watch some to catch up, if 14 is this weeks (someone let me know if I'm wrong) then I'll try to get a review in. I'll have to skip reviews for the episodes I wasn't around for, but I plan to be back again, hopefully continuing my either much loved or much annoying science segment, lol.

..., hopefully continuing my either much loved or much annoying science segment, lol.

I've quiet come to enjoy your science segment actually, so welcome back.

Yup, episode 13 this week. I hope I can watch it tomorrow...

All right! I am caught up now, awesomeness. The show is heading into one of the more interesting parts now. City 7 has been stolen by the enemy who are trying to relocate it to their own fleet. Max is pretty resourceful as ever. The trans-location dropping a small rock from the exit coordinates is cool. I have to give props to the writers there for using such a small detail in how the fold drive works in the show for a vital plot point.

Also Milia has rather dark humor, joking about dumping the entire population into space if they riot. I wouldn't be shocked though if there was an emergency contingency plan that called for that though. You can never be too careful really...

The Fold boosters, first time we see them in a show (Macross Plus being an OVA/movie). I have an interesting observation, and I can use my well versed astronomy knowledge for this one. Apparently in 2045 the fold boosters are experimental and can't handle a long range fold as such (as noted they had a 50% chance of success, which despite Gamlin's emotional response, is in fact really good odds from a scientific angle). However only 5 years earlier in Plus we see fold boosters being used with no problems.

I have two potential explanations for this: A, the show writers made a goof, or B, the distance City 7 was folded out was quite far indeed.

B is more likely, allow me to explain. Macross Plus takes place mostly on Eden. In continuity Eden is a planet in the fictional Groombridge 1816 star system (also known as Helios apparently). This star system is in fact not real. I don't know why they chose to do this because there is however an actual star called Groombridge 1618 (there are other Groombridge stars, but that matches the numbers closest, and is unlikely a coincidence).

Groombridge 1618 is a class K7V star, which to non Astronomy folk is a star a bit smaller than our sun (when I say bit I mean in cosmic terms). As it happens though it is theorized K class stars can be good for supporting life if a planet was in the right location, just as much as G class (our Sun is a class G2V star). This has little to do with the show, just some extra information for those that find it interesting.

Anyway, We can assume that Groombridge 1816 from M+ is supposed to be around the same area as Groombridge 1618 for the simple similarity in the name. 1618 is about 15.8 light years away from Earth (which is pretty close to us in cosmic terms). Eden in the 1816 system is supposed to be about 11.7 light years from Earth. Closer, but not by much. I don't know why they didn't use the real one instead, the distance is almost the same to a space faring civilization with fold technology.

Ok, it sounds like I am ranting on Macross Plus, but I do have a point. Max said the fold boosters can't handle trips "over such a long distance." The fact that the trip from Eden to Earth (11.7 ly distance or 15.8 if you like to use the real universe alternative) can be made with the fold boosters with no problems indicates a general idea for what a short range fold is, and for what the early fold boosters are rated. This means the distance City 7 was from Battle 7 was at least more than 20 light years, probably more. Given the rather good 50% odds (despite that the boosters burned out on fold out), it probably wasn't too much more of a distance given that City 7's mass seems to have a limit to how far it can go.

It is rather interesting I think that while at first glance it seems an oversight of the writer's part that the fold boosters seem to be a bit unreliable 5 years after they are shown to work fine and yet are still experimental. However with some critical thinking and some extra information it all fits very well in canon. Though it is weird that after 5 years the boosters are still experimental. Perhaps a newer version that hadn't been bench marked yet. In which case while Diamond Force failed to reach City 7 in time, they did help in testing out the latest system. As crass as it may sound the Engineers designing those things will love them for that unintended bench mark test, and it might help explain why fold boosters later on seem to have less trouble. Worked out the kinks they did.

As for the rest of the episode, always fun to see Milia in the cockpit again. I was chuckling as the enemies were trying to shoot at her but missing, they'll never hit her. She is way too good for them, lol. Also props for Basara saving the day just like how they would on Russian Space Station, lol (I laugh because it is a fun reference, but that movie has terrible science).

To close out my post, here is a fun picture related to my Groombridge 1618 talk earlier taken using a handy program I have called Celestia: Click for spacey goodyness. This is me hovering just near Groombridge 1618, as you can see it doesn't look all that different from our sun, but it is actually a tad bit more orangish than ours, and it is smaller. Also for fun, if you notice the red markers nearby, that is where we are in relation to 1618. The markers are sitting directly on Earth 15.8 light years away. Small in terms of cosmic scale, but still very far away. The universe is vast indeed.

Edited by Master Dex

Fold Booster technology has been around since 2030 along side the VF-11. In fact the prototype VF-11 and a Fold Booster was stolen by rebel Zentradi around the time of the Second Defensive Battle of Macross City. This led to the development of the Zentradi variable fighter Feios.

Fold Booster technology is gradually improved in the Macross universe. The only limiting factor is seen is energy and navigation. As shown in Macross Dynamite 7 Fold Boosters have a navigation system. Where Diamond Force was going was uncharted thus lower probability of an accurate jump calculation.

Fold Booster technology has been around since 2030 along side the VF-11. In fact the prototype VF-11 and a Fold Booster was stolen by rebel Zentradi around the time of the Second Defensive Battle of Macross City. This led to the development of the Zentradi variable fighter Feios.

Fold Booster technology is gradually improved in the Macross universe. The only limiting factor is seen is energy and navigation. As shown in Macross Dynamite 7 Fold Boosters have a navigation system. Where Diamond Force was going was uncharted thus lower probability of an accurate jump calculation.

I didn't necessarily say it was brand new in 2040, just that that was 5 years earlier. I also noted the likelihood that experimental referred to a new version or something to that effect.

I didn't necessarily say it was brand new in 2040, just that that was 5 years earlier. I also noted the likelihood that experimental referred to a new version or something to that effect.

We did see in Macross 7 the Fold Booster do things we did not see in Macross Plus.

1. Extension of fold bubble via syncronization between fold boosters. Large object can be trasported.

2. Multiple use.

3. Spitting distance short range fold.

The problems I see always tackled upon as of each generation of fold boosters are range, energy recharge rate, navigation (since you want to come out the right coordinates).

As for the rest of the episode, always fun to see Milia in the cockpit again. I was chuckling as the enemies were trying to shoot at her but missing, they'll never hit her. She is way too good for them, lol. Also props for Basara saving the day just like how they would on Russian Space Station, lol (I laugh because it is a fun reference, but that movie has terrible science).

To close out my post, here is a fun picture related to my Groombridge 1618 talk earlier taken using a handy program I have called Celestia: Click for spacey goodyness. This is me hovering just near Groombridge 1618, as you can see it doesn't look all that different from our sun, but it is actually a tad bit more orangish than ours, and it is smaller. Also for fun, if you notice the red markers nearby, that is where we are in relation to 1618. The markers are sitting directly on Earth 15.8 light years away. Small in terms of cosmic scale, but still very far away. The universe is vast indeed.

Loved the fact that you actually went through the trouble of including a picture of a Groombridge 1618. Nice touch :) But how dare you insinuate that Armageddon has terrible science? Everyone knows that Michael Bay's movies are very well researched and they would never mess up their science!

Best bit about this chapter for me was definitely seeing Milia in her trusty old Valk again. The classic VF-1J is hard to beat for looks and Milia can still operate it like the best of them.

On a more serious note. It's really interesting to look back and think about how much Milia has evolved, from being a Meltran ace with no social skills, and who depended on Max for everything, to now being responsible for the lives and deaths of hundreds of thousands of people (what's the population of City by the way7?). She is truly the Zentran success story.

Loved the fact that you actually went through the trouble of including a picture of a Groombridge 1618. Nice touch :) But how dare you insinuate that Armageddon has terrible science? Everyone knows that Michael Bay's movies are very well researched and they would never mess up their science!

Best bit about this chapter for me was definitely seeing Milia in her trusty old Valk again. The classic VF-1J is hard to beat for looks and Milia can still operate it like the best of them.

On a more serious note. It's really interesting to look back and think about how much Milia has evolved, from being a Meltran ace with no social skills, and who depended on Max for everything, to now being responsible for the lives and deaths of hundreds of thousands of people (what's the population of City by the way7?). She is truly the Zentran success story.

As long as the science is valid enough for a high explosion count I guess Michael Bay feels no wrong can be done, lol.

It wasn't too difficult to include the picture really, but I felt it would help make the things I was saying seem a bit more real and give a truer sense of scale. The technology humanity has at their disposal in Macross is almost unfathomable. In Frontier a fold over 20 light years is referred to as short range, and the 12 to 16 range isn't considered very far 19 years earlier. Humanities technology level in Macross is impossible in that time frame for natural progression. Of course natural progression is not how they achieved that in the shows, it is all intervention based progression, primarily the ASS-1 crashing and Space War I. Despite the results of the two situations the future they've built is an amazing dream. To do these things if we never get any help from some other higher intelligence (like alien races we somehow meet), it could easily take us hundreds to thousands of years. This is one of the reasons I like Macross, it is truly fantastical, but at the same time it is fantastic.

I would give a lot to see some of the things people in Macross probably take for granted given their advancement.

(what's the population of City by the way7?)

350,000 of which are 100,000 are Zentradi or of Zentradi descent.

I think a big part of Millia's voters are the youth and the Zentradi.

Course if we interpret the presence of those three old Monster veterans and the veteran home Silver Paradise as an indicator part of the Macross 7 population is descended from the old Macross itself.

While Minmay was the one intrumantal in ending Space War 1 it is Millia who is pioneer in Human-Zentradi relations.

350,000 of which are 100,000 are Zentradi or of Zentradi descent.

I think a big part of Millia's voters are the youth and the Zentradi.

Course if we interpret the presence of those three old Monster veterans and the veteran home Silver Paradise as an indicator part of the Macross 7 population is descended from the old Macross itself.

While Minmay was the one intrumantal in ending Space War 1 it is Millia who is pioneer in Human-Zentradi relations.

It's pretty funny to see that Maximilian (the human) is the stiff, unsocial military type, whilst Milia is an absolute overachiever in the civilian world. It'd be intereting to see how much of her popularity is based precisely on her status as a pioneer in human-Zentran relations.

Using a first generation variable fighter to beat multiple much more advanced VF-14 derivatives just shows how much of a master Milia is.

It's pretty funny to see that Maximilian (the human) is the stiff, unsocial military type, whilst Milia is an absolute overachiever in the civilian world. It'd be intereting to see how much of her popularity is based precisely on her status as a pioneer in human-Zentran relations.

For me, seeing Max and Milia reverse roles like that always felt a bit unnatural... like the writers got the character descriptions backwards when they started work on the series.

Using a first generation variable fighter to beat multiple much more advanced VF-14 derivatives just shows how much of a master Milia is.

Well, the VF-14 (and presumably its derivatives) were supposedly selected for their excellent performance in space, and thus might be at a slight disadvantage dogfighting against a fighter designed (primarily) for atmospheric combat.

For me, seeing Max and Milia reverse roles like that always felt a bit unnatural... like the writers got the character descriptions backwards when they started work on the series.

It should be noted prior to their current jobs Max was a ship commander and Millia was a flight instructor.

35 years leaves a lot of time to change. If its any consolation Millia hasn't had cold in all those years and was clueless about it.

Besides being a extrovert is probably why her voters liked her in the first place also with noticible motherly concern for the constituency . Max is left to sigh about her stunts. :wacko:

Pure Poetic Justice.

In Max's case as bright a tactical genius he came off as a very energetic and naive military recruit. First he treats his first battle like it was another game on the flight simulator video game then he daydreams about someday being a Captain. Of course Max's wish to be a captain has been granted at the cost of everything else. The "joys" of being Captain aren't all its cracked up to be when your bearing the responsibility for every life aboard the Macross 7 on your shoulders and you have no time to spend with your beloved wife.

Milia on the other hand went from being a naive illegal alien (in more ways then one) and teen lover who couldn't even cook and promised stay by her husbands side forever into the ultimate politician and divorced mother.

and Millia was a flight instructor.

Which is very ironic considering that she always lost to the guy who was trained to fly through Video games.

The two similar looking baddies that are taking over the main control system and preparing to fold remind me of the Rain Country Ninjas in Naruto that kept saying 'Lucky."

Max and Milia were the reason why i TOLERATED this series. Then Mac 7 just grew on me. There is a Mylene panchira shot in there.

Agreed, that is one of the things that bothered me throughout their appearances. Maybe the writers thought spending time with humans made the warrior-woman soft? She can still fly her VF like no other. No helmet needed to boot.

It should be noted prior to their current jobs Max was a ship commander and Millia was a flight instructor.

35 years leaves a lot of time to change. If its any consolation Millia hasn't had cold in all those years and was clueless about it.

Besides being a extrovert is probably why her voters liked her in the first place also with noticible motherly concern for the constituency . Max is left to sigh about her stunts. :wacko:

Maybe Max is left to sight about her stunts, but then again I think that Milia is right about questioning Max's handling of the constant alien attacks. I mean he hasn't been exactly proactive in finding out who they are and what their intentions may be. Or at least try some new tactic or evasive measure that will put the conveoy out of harms way.

I can't help but feeling that had their roles been reversed, Milia would have been a lot more energetic in her handling of the alien attacks. I cannot blame her when she gets upset and asks Max what the hell he's doing to prevent this series of events.

Maybe Max is left to sight about her stunts, but then again I think that Milia is right about questioning Max's handling of the constant alien attacks. I mean he hasn't been exactly proactive in finding out who they are and what their intentions may be. Or at least try some new tactic or evasive measure that will put the conveoy out of harms way.

I can't help but feeling that had their roles been reversed, Milia would have been a lot more energetic in her handling of the alien attacks. I cannot blame her when she gets upset and asks Max what the hell he's doing to prevent this series of events.

Well unfortunately there isn't really anything practical action for Max to take. any possible tactic or evasive measure that could put the convoy out of harms away short of turning tail and running or an impenetrable pin point barrier that could cover the entire ship.

As for the Space Vampire attacks the challenge is finding the enemy stowaways without scaring the civilians and resorting to extreme measures like martial law. Its easy to say that they could have easily found the Space Vampires if they rolled out the military to sweep every inch of the ship including every piece of private property without a warrant, but what message would that tell the innocent people on board Macross 7? Sure If M7 was run by Adama and President Roslin then the entire convoy would have been swept and all those frakin space vampires with their silly visors would have been tossed out the airlock by episode 5, but this is Max and Milia we are talking about. Having them resort to martial law to round up all the space vampires would be like having Batman kill criminals with head shots to the head. Conflict solved, but you just annihilated the character as well.

Also look at how Leon's course of action to purge the Vajra infestion in Macross Frontier worked out. Using Flamethrowing Destroids to burn Vajra nests though scorched earth tactics didn't just elimate all the Vajra on board the ship, but it arguably upset the civilians way of life even more so then the actual battles with the Vajra did.

I am surprised though that Milia having been an enemy spy aboard the SDF Macross and an ex-flight instructor herself hasn't helped the Macross 7 Police get in the mindset of an enemy infiltrator in order to better find and track them down. Unless of course her memories of finding clothes, two knives, money for video games, and learning japanese was just a blur due to her obsession with hunting Max down at the time.

Its easy to say that they could have easily found the Space Vampires if they rolled out the military to sweep every inch of the ship including every piece of private property without a warrant, but what message would that tell the innocent people on board Macross 7?

Eh... that might've been a concern initially, but the public relations fiasco and resulting loss of morale caused by repeated failures to catch the "vampires" and the subsequent escalation of their attacks would've reached a break-even point with the potential damage done by sweeping the ship and/or declaring a state of emergency. Once the vampires managed to infiltrate the fold section, trigger an emergency separation of the Battle-7, and fold the city section away from the rest of the fleet the damage to the public's confidence in the government and military would've been far worse than it would've been had they simply swept the ship and had done with it. "We're taking every measure possible to ensure the safety of our citizens" sounds a helluva lot better than "Sorry we dropped the ball and let the enemy abduct 350,000 civilians and repeatedly place them in mortal jeopardy, it won't happen again". By that point, the citizens probably would have been quite happy with a large-scale military intervention... yet the military and civilian police all but ignored the vampires on City-7, and allowed them to conduct further large-scale attacks well up through at least episode 34, a good six months later.

When you think about it that way, the people who barged into Milia's office and demanded her removal were probably well justified in that demand. Despite knowing exactly what the vampires look like, and the vampires themselves not taking any pains to disguise themselves and occasionally walking around in broad daylight (Ep33), both the police and the military failed to put a stop to the attacks. Calling their security measures "inadequate" doesn't even begin to cover it.

Having them resort to martial law to round up all the space vampires would be like having Batman kill criminals with head shots to the head. Conflict solved, but you just annihilated the character as well.

Aside from the fact that Batman can and has used guns and lethal force on occasion, particularly back in the silver age, having Max and Milia more or less ignore the vampire problem on their ship doesn't preserve their integrity as characters, it damages it. Milia is supposedly feels a great maternal protectiveness towards her citizens, and yet she sits on her hands and bitches at Max about the vampire problem, and Max, the slightly uncomfortable set of shoulders on which the duty of protecting the entire fleet rests heavily, sits around and is griped at by Milia while protesting that they don't have enough information. That's not preserving the character, that's sacrificing characterization and the character's perceived competence at their job to inflate a minor nuisance into a major threat so that Basara's singing would be necessary.

It would've taken a certain something away from the borderline Canon Sue characterization of Basara and the show's entire magical spirit energy bollucks if Max and Milia were able to upset the whole spirita farm main plot by chucking all of Gepernich's advance scout out the nearest airlock and watching the explosive decompression pop them like party balloons.

Also look at how Leon's course of action to purge the Vajra infestion in Macross Frontier worked out. Using Flamethrowing Destroids to burn Vajra nests though scorched earth tactics didn't just elimate all the Vajra on board the ship, but it arguably upset the civilians way of life even more so then the actual battles with the Vajra did.

Eh... I think that too is a case where the damage to the public's confidence caused by inaction exceeded the damage that could've been caused by preventative action. Which is more damaging... a widespread Vajra attack throughout the entire ship, or having NUNS forces flamethrower the bloody things to death before they can cause trouble? If you said the latter, there's probably something wrong with you. The citizens probably would've been patting the NUNS troops on the back and breathing a sigh of relief that their homes and lives didn't get horribly farted up along with the ship they're living in instead of picking through debris and contemplating a growing environmental crisis.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

It would've taken a certain something away from the borderline Canon Sue characterization of Basara and the show's entire magical spirit energy bollucks if Max and Milia were able to upset the whole spirita farm main plot by chucking all of Gepernich's advance scout out the nearest airlock and watching the explosive decompression pop them like party balloons.

Are you for real?

I seriously doubt the Military and Police on Macross 7 have the Man power to search every square mile of the city.

A Valkyrie would be of little use in Police raids with the exception of the Rescue of the samples which was a diversion to cover the theft of the City.

The City 7 has a Foot print like New York City and the NYPD has a Force of like 30.000 Police Officers and they can't eliminate Crime completely the Vampires were only taking like a Few dozen a day/week.

Even if they searched the City systematically the Vampires had enough intelligence to infiltrate the Most secured part of the City (Fold Core) they most likely would have heard of it Hours before the Police/Military got with in a Block.

Their have been times when a small Force has been able to Operate with near impunity in a city bringing large amount of disruption to the inhabitance like the Bombing campaigns of the IRA they even came close to killing Princes Diana and other members of British aristocracy.

The only City State on Earth that comes close to bringing that kind of order is Singapore which from what I hear is a harsh place to live with Corporal punishment being used on the majority of Petty crimes and other extreme forms of control over the populace.

Are you for real?

Quite... while I won't belabor the issue of Basara bearing most or all of the hallmarks of a Canon Sue, specifically those of a "God Mode Sue", it's pretty much beyond dispute that had Max and Milia rounded up all the spirita vampires in Gepernich's advance reconnaissance party early on and flushed the lot of them out the nearest airlock they would likely have never discovered the spirita regeneration phenomenon. Without that discovery, we wouldn't have had the spirita farm plan that drove most of the plot later on.

I seriously doubt the Military and Police on Macross 7 have the Man power to search every square mile of the city.

City-7's actually surprisingly small... the whole dome has an area of less than 19.5 square kilometers (or about 7.5 square miles if you like imperial notation), and that something like a fifth of its area is devoted to parkland. Since it's highly unlikely the vampires would set up shop in the city proper where anyone could easily spot and report them, it leaves just the sewers, the parkland, and the Akusho area. Remember, this isn't an open community like a city on Earth, where anyone can get in and out without attracting notice... this is a domed city traveling in space... a literal city in a bottle. This would almost certainly make the search substantially easier.

Edited by Seto Kaiba