HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

Nope seto said that you guys said he was the number one macross export. He said that you guys looked at him that way.

He's just an expert on the neglected DYRL/Macross II alternate timeline. That just means he's a relatively reliable source of information about that one thing for anyone who cares. That mean talent doesn't elevate him above his peasantry and entitle him to serfs and poo, so there's no cause to feel threatened, Your Highness. Clearly, picking a fight with one so low is beneath your royal station.

Edited by hulagu

well in "Season's Greetings" I remember hearing "Silent Night Holy Night"

or was I hearing things? I am a loon so it would make since if that's what it was =]

Yeah, they sang that in Macross...I don't remember if they did in Robotech or not, but it would make sense.

But I was thinking of something more aong lines of "All I Want for Christmas is My Protoculture Matrix," or "Annie the Red-Haired Loli"...stuff like that.

So, um, anyway...How was everyone's day? :)

Work sucked. I was supposed to fix my car today but couldn't. Then found out about the hlj sale any everything i want is pretty much gone.

Other than that fine how about you?

Oh, I would love to see The Robotech Christmas Special. It would have a family of Zentraedi trying to celebrate "Cloning Day".

Or maybe "A Very Invid Christmas"...? That might be fun.

It might be better if you just watched the Star Wars Christmas Special and imagined it was robotech.

Hmm, maybe something arranged by Michael Bradley.

Cost too much..... think John Tesh.

Yeah, they sang that in Macross...I don't remember if they did in Robotech or not, but it would make sense.

But I was thinking of something more aong lines of "All I Want for Christmas is My Protoculture Matrix," or "Annie the Red-Haired Loli"...stuff like that.

This is where I wish that I had Weird Al Yankovic's talent for writing song parody.

Really? He costs that much to work with?

Assuming they hire him to voice, I'd imagine so. Isn't he a member of the Screen Actor's Guild these days, like most of the VAs who worked on Robotech? I remember Tommy remarking about how that made it a lot more difficult and pricey to bring back existing characters in large numbers. If they hire him just to do the music, I'd imagine he'd still cost rather a lot, though not nearly as much as big-name talent.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Nope seto said that you guys said he was the number one macross export. He said that you guys looked at him that way.

So Seto is actually Shōji Kawamori in disguise? Or is he Ōnogi Hiroshi?

Really? He costs that much to work with?

Idk.

Assuming they hire him to voice, I'd imagine so. Isn't he a member of the Screen Actor's Guild these days, like most of the VAs who worked on Robotech? I remember Tommy remarking about how that made it a lot more difficult and pricey to bring back existing characters in large numbers. If they hire him just to do the music, I'd imagine he'd still cost rather a lot, though not nearly as much as big-name talent.

The only thing he has going for him is he wrote the theme to the NBA and Bobby's wrold

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Oh, I would love to see The Robotech Christmas Special. It would have a family of Zentraedi trying to celebrate "Cloning Day".

"How the Invid Stole Christimas" would follow the misadventures of Zor, Breetai, Exedore and a Tirolian muse thing as they chase after the Regess, hoping to retreive a stolen Christmas tree. A misjudged Fold leads to them arriving on early Earth, where they spread the joy of the Tirolian tradition of Christmas.

Plus Admiral Rick Hunter is in it I guess, 'cause you won't get the fans in without him.

Edited by Aladdin Sane

So Seto is actually Shōji Kawamori in disguise? Or is he Ōnogi Hiroshi?

I've actually had some problems of mistaken identity here and elsewhere when people abbreviate my screenname to "SK" when quoting me, and people think the guy doing the quoting is referencing Shoji Kawamori instead. But yeah, I've never claimed to be an expert on any part of Macross except the Macross II continuity, it's just more of the standard fare from Bendo. Best to just ignore him.

She's a Sterling and daughter to Max Sterling who married a Zentraedi so I think it's safe to assume she's half Zentraedi.

Well, yes... anyone who was already familiar with Robotech's characters would be able to make the connection, but only on the basis of prior knowledge about her family. The brief recap segment at the beginning makes absolutely no mention of the Zentradi or the "Robotech Masters", so there's no way a new viewer would be able to connect Maia Sterling to the Zentradi or have any knowledge of the existence and nature of the Zentradi without going to some print or film source outside of the movie... which is, of course, the entire point.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Well, yes... anyone who was already familiar with Robotech's characters would be able to make the connection, but only on the basis of prior knowledge about her family. The brief recap segment at the beginning makes absolutely no mention of the Zentradi or the "Robotech Masters", so there's no way a new viewer would be able to connect Maia Sterling to the Zentradi or have any knowledge of the existence and nature of the Zentradi without going to some print or film source outside of the movie... which is, of course, the entire point.

So, merchandising reasons, to get you to buy the original show, books, comic prelude, etc., like other franchises but here it's required.

What happened in 1997 for Robotech?

This will explain it all

I've actually had some problems of mistaken identity here and elsewhere when people abbreviate my screenname to "SK" when quoting me, and people think the guy doing the quoting is referencing Shoji Kawamori instead. But yeah, I've never claimed to be an expert on any part of Macross except the Macross II continuity, it's just more of the standard fare from Bendo. Best to just ignore him.

Kinda of hard to ignore Bendo's writing when he claims you are exporting Macross.

So, merchandising reasons, to get you to buy the original show, books, comic prelude, etc., like other franchises but here it's required.

I don't think that was the intent behind the wholesale dodging of Macross ("Macross Saga") references, but it's a given that it's part of their overall marketing plan. It's no secret that the movie's stated intent was to bring new, young fans into the franchise, which would mean further sales of the original series. In order to untangle the motivations of the Haydonites, the Prelude comic is required reading, and it was given an aggressively small print run to make absolutely sure it'd sell out. I don't think there's anything that really necessitates reading the books though... I don't think they'd bother even trying to sneak in anything to compel people to buy the novels, since most RT fans consider the novels rubbish.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Which is one of the worst things about the movie. It was not written with new viewers in mind. If you had not seen RT before, you might be wondering, "Who is this Hunter guy and why should i care about him?" and other such questions. It's funny how HG expects to get new fans without making their big comeback movie accessible to the casual viewer.

and PS. WHY SETO?!?!?! WHY DO ALL THE ROBOCRAZIES FOLLOW YOU AROUND?!?!?! It's like you killed their dogs, burned their houses down and stole their women and they are out for your head.

Edited by RDClip

I'd hate to break this to you, but you're a commoner too. So you can either politely join this discussion or leave peacefully. And trust me, the next mod to stop by probably won't be as gracious as me.

I love this thread.

Taksraven

Doug Bendo:

VTFT1 your liberal spin isn't going to work on me.

1. [A personal history - not meant to be debatable - just meant to set the record straight - don't debate it because it is against the rules to debate!]

Disclosure to Doug Bendo: I'm a conservative Republican. I voted for George W. Bush ...TWICE! I voted for Ron Paul in the last primaries and grudgingly voted for McCain in the last election because I like Sarah Palin. I also worked for Pat Buchanan back when he ran on the Reform Party ticket. I never voted for a liberal in my life, although I did think the impeachment of Clinton was wrong on constitutional grounds and I respected Howard Dean's candidacy way back when, because he was a Democrat who stood for principles (even if I disagreed with them).

2. [Clarifying opinions]

Just because I believe in the US Constitution and freedom of speech doesn't make me a liberal, and arguing for individual artistic freedoms doesn't make me a "liberal" either.

And arguing that people who create erotic art or art with sexual content are also defended under the Constitution and have the same freedom as your local Pastor doesn't make me a liberal either - unless, you meant to call me a classical liberal - but I doubt YOU are even cognizent of the distinction - so we'll let that slide.

In fact, I now have personally come to believe that labels like "liberal" and "conservative" mean NOTHING. You are either a decent, honest person who believes in human dignity and freedom and who tries to argue the merits of a case and acknowledges that sometimes people of intelligence and good will disagree on reasonable grounds - or you are something else.

Please don't try to label my opinions as "liberal" or any other kind because - especially in this day and age - that's just confusing. That's meaningless. Let's just look at the merits of the issue.

3. [The point]

You aren't replying to the merits of the issue.

Notice how I QUOTE you whenever I reply to you.

Please go back, read my posts, and quote the portions you want to reply to.

Don't think that writing a snappy one paragraph response to the several pages worth of arguments I have made will do anything except demonstrate that you either willfully ignore arguments brought up against you, or that you don't understand them.

When you quote my arguments that everyone can read on the previous pages - and when you make specific counter points to those arguments - I will be more than happy to continue debating you.

Until you reply specifically to those arguments - I'm just going to let them stand. I'm not going to reply to silly points about my "liberal spin."

Pete

Off to work

VTFT1. Its fair enough what you said but your politics are your own, you never need to justify or explain them to anybody, especially if you are being baited/trolled, which you were. Thats why ballots are secret. Just hold true to what you believe in.

Taksraven

So doug was just reading this thread...

I imagine he's going to go try to gather his thoughts into one short, incoherent paragraph where he ignores the logical counters of Seto and the undeniable logic of VFTF1, and post it some time from now while at the same time making a sad attempt to insult everybody on this site.

Oh, AND while continuing on a dead-end debate track and ignoring the other questions, which I can assume his only reason for is his inability to formulate a response to them.

Edited by D.D. Ivanov

by a robotech fan...

"About the song thing it got old and fast and they drug that one out like a poor brian dead soul on life support. And that whole mecha that dubbled as a musical instrument piloted by Maxamillions and Millia's youngest Pink hair daughter"

Envy, Robotech fan is thy name! :)

Jasonc, your crap isn’t going to work on me. I know that you don’t only feed JT crap that you like to call in formation but seto as well. As for how good jt is well it is simple… JT podcast sucks. I can go off of pure downloads if you like. I have a lessoner base 50 to 100 times greater then jt does any given week. So don’t try to tell me jt has ANYTHING great going on because he doesn’t. Hell the man doesn’t even do research on the topics he talks about on his podcast. Has no clue how companies are run. Plus just like seto and viper sounds like a complete sissy and blows everything out of proportion. Jt is good for only one thing and that is great source material for my show. Personally I think it is funny that seto and you have joined up to use jt show as a platform to rally people agents hg. Jasonc the fact that you need weak people such as jt and the disciples of seto makes me laugh every time I think about it.

Obviously, it did work on you, because you responded, wasn't that pretty well predicted. But, whatever you wanna believe to make you feel better man. It's pretty obvious that you decided to attack a person who genuinely loves Robotech for the fact that people don't listen to his show merely to listen to garbage or laugh. Instead of helping your fellow fans out, your jealousy has made you more of an @ss than anything. Because you have no real ground for criticism for his podcast, you pull ignorant, dum@ss ideas out of the air that amount to crap, about what your show has been turning into. The claim that we use JT as a platform for whatever, we've been on here long before his podcast came up, so if you're really gonna try to argue with me, at least do it with enough wit to make it somewhat interesting, and not sound like an ignorant butthurt crybaby over someone who isn't even involved in this conversation.

Now that that should be taken care of, I'll get back to reading all the post after that.