geepogi

What things did you forego just to get the

toy that you want? I was planning on getting

a pair of Lacoste sneakers and a Levis belt

this month, but these had to take a backseat

to the vf-11b. Lacoste and Levis are overrated,

anyway. :lol: Will still be getting these, albeit

at a later date.

if you are in a relationship because you chosoe to be and want to be and the same goes for the other person - both of you are independent. No relationship should demand "sacrifice" - because the person you're with should love you as you are, not as you are MINUS some Macross toys because she wants a pair of shoes.

Besides - it is possible to get her the proverbial shoes anyways. It's kind of like modeling. You don't just get to enjoy the model, you have to get paint, markers and assorted tools - and then if you're a collector of toys and models you need to have some shelf space to display the stuff.

Same with women. You don't just get to enjoy the girl - you have to factor in clothes, shoes, gifts, dinners etc etc.

The key is to never give up, never surrender and keep looking for ways to make more cash and therefore afford all the stuff you want.

But yeah - I "want" a porsche and a million other things - but only if someone gave them to me for free or for peanuts.

The stuff you REALLY want is the stuff you're willing to work for to get - macross toys, the girl, [other stuff]

By definition I don't accept the idea that you have to give up something you love for some other thing you love.

Problems arise when you're not sure what you really love - like if you're with a girl that you're unsure about or if you have a bunch of crappy Transformers that you really think you can live without...

Pete

What things did you forego just to get the

toy that you want?

For me is the other way round. I can't believe I haven't buy the YF-21, YF-19, VF-11B and SV-51 Nora, I love all of them so much, but too bad I need to save $ and I'm jobless.

I am glad that I live in somewhere that the Macross toys are relatively cheap to get, and I don't have to forfeit anything to get them.

I am also lucky that I am only (mainly) interested in Macross toys right now. Unlike Gundam, it is possible to "collect them all". (even a hobby shop may not be able to stock every single model of all the different Gundam series and product lines)

The downside is that generally the living space here is so limited that while I can buy all what I want, it is difficult to display them all. Not unless you crowd them together, which is not good at all.

The world is a fair place!

P.S. I am not interested in luxury goods or meals. I am a Taurus.

In my case, I'm not really foregoing needs.

We still buy food that we like. Me and my

wife still go out on dates during fridays.

Either we watch a movie or we go out and

eat. Not fancy restaurants though. But when

it comes to my collecting toys, I get it from

my "entertainment" budget, which means

that I have to forego some items. However,

if the soles on my shoes are already falling

apart or if my briefs have turned to bacon,

then I have to forego or postpone some toys

and get a new pair of briefs. :lol:

For saving since almost a year I've really cut on food and no more red, white meat, only eat normal meals when during invitations and stopped buying many video games. I have other more important things to buy like clothes, ect...

The only two toys that I want remaining for this year are 1/60 v2 VF-1S LV and Metal FIX O Gundam. I was planning to get other 1/60 v2 VF-1's but no.

I've cut down on buying new releases and am on the hunt for bargains on hlj.com. And even though hlj is kind of having a year long sale now, I'm still considering hard before buying. Learned my lesson on buying the Beagle Mospeada and some SOCs upon release only to find out that they can still go lower in price. Makes the scrooge in me rejoice and the collector in me feel like a fool. So I've resorted to forgoing some collectibles including Macross stuff, except for the ones that I really want and be generous with money for other luxuries like eating at fancy restaurants with my fiancee.

OP, an important thing to remember when buying anything is to remember what it is you`re buying. Why would you buy a belt from Levi`s? Levi`s make jeans. Lacoste make polo shirts, not sneakers. Yamato make toys. Would you buy a golf club made by Yamato? No, probably not. Thats why Yamato doesn`t make golf clubs. Although they probably should to take advantage of suckers that buy Levi`s belts and Lacoste sneakers.

btw for belts I recommend Comme Des Garcon (awesome Japanese craftsmanship that will last a lifetime and a reasonable price considering the quality) or Silas. I`ve had belts from both over the years and none of them have ever died yet.

For sneakers stick to Nike or Adidas or New Balance

Edited by MilSpex

I hv to forgo some transformer toys that I like. Hv sold off some old Starwars & tranformer collections. With the new movie toys out soon, its gonna be hard to resist :mellow:

Oh... one more thing...my house toilet bowl seems to be breaking down anytime but I hv to hold off my $$ getting a new one, for sake of Macross toys :D

Macross toys > Upgrading car parts

If I knew before hand that these toys were produced before I went nuts on my car I would probably just gotten a four door daily driver instead of a track whore wanna be car with super stiff suspension for crappy chicago roads.

I'd prefer independant over co-dependant!

Just ignore this SJO, his life is empty so he fills it with toys.

*rant time*

What this conversation/topic is really about is priorities. Years ago, back when the 1:48 were the new hotness there was a member who was talking about forgoing a car payment or two in order to buy the latest 1:48 releases. We all adviced him against it, but he went ahead anyway because his bank had some kind of skip a pay thing on the loan, thing is he still had to make up that payment later because had already used it earlier in the year, IIRC. What we tried to tell him then was prioritize his needs and his wants. He wanted the newest 1:48 VF, he needed his car to get around, to work, to food, etc...

Throughout life we have to make choices, some are sacrifices, some are not. Before I got married I bought a ton of valkyries. Since then I have bought only two that I really wanted, my wife and I sat down, looked at the budget and said ok, you can buy this $200 toy after paycheck X. More often then not though I decided not to buy the toy, why? Because I had more important uses for the money, like kids, my wife, my house, my cars, whatever. Does that make me co-dependant, no it makes me a responisble husband and father. Now if I see an amazing deal on a valk or other item I want, I check the budget real quick and snatch it up, but that is a luxury, and sometimes luxuries have to take a back seat.

Right now I would love to go out and buy all the Mac+ valks, but I have had to put that off for a while. Why? Easy I have better priorities, I am not going to give up something essential, especially now that we are on a single income, just to buy a pretty toy that will sit on a shelf and collect dust. My youngest is special needs, he needs his mommy home all the time to take care of him, and his medical bills take priority, heck the whole families medical bills take priority over daddies new toy.

So, if you are trading one luxury for another fine, forego the overpriced pants, belt, and shoes in favor of the toy/model/TV/computer/whatever, but never give up the essentials and more important things in life just to buy something that is a WANT, not a NEED. Jeans are jeans, get the costco brand or the factory seconds, they are just as good and cost half as much, and a belt is just a strip of leather or clothe that holds your pants up, why spend a lot for it when no one cares. And, if the people you hang with get hung up on that stuff, then maybe you should find some better people to hang with.

*Rant over*

I don't want to get to much into designer clothes and stuff - but me and my girlfriend are pretty much designer clothes whores :) We love spending money on nice clothes. We also love going to good reastaurants (kudos to Mr. Chogokin!).

Levis makes jeans, but it also makes belts. I personally don't like the levis stuff and prefer Diesel - although for some reason their belts game me skin rashes so I had to get a belt at H&M and it "works" just fine (aka my over-sensitive skin doesn't react badly to it).

I totally respect where Knight26 is coming from - but just like you shouldn't make an ideology out of being single and setting up this false world view where being able to get your favorite toys means having no girlfriend/wife - so too you shouldn't (IMO) get trapped in the opposite - that having a family or other costs (food, healthcare) means no toys...

Ultimately - it's really a question of how we define these things and also of long-term vs. short-term.

Like Knight26 said -he looks at his budget. That's probably true for him not just with regard to Macross purchases - but with regard to the majority of purchases. That's generally how people tend to function.

Sometimes we have more money, sometimes less, sometimes there are more expenses and we have to put off satisfaction of all our desires - and sometimes we get to go hog wild.

In the end - yeah, you should prioritize - but I think people shouldn't get too fixated on any one path. Life is short. You need to ultimately do what you love and not worry about the consequences.

I love being with my girlfriend and I love collecting Macross, and thinking up stories, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I do it all. I sometimes have trouble balancing it, juggling it all - but what am I supposed to do? Change? Give up?

This is why I like Gurren Lagann's spirit so much - I really believe it is possible to do what you love - and if you've got the right girl and you chose your friends and associates wisely - then it'll help a lot.

Maybe this is my personal experience talking - but up until a couple of years ago, I was too scared to pursue my dreams because I had this idea that there was all this stuff that I "must" do - and I kept failing at doing it. Like graduate college, or get a "real" job and have a "normal" relationship and bla bla bla.

Then one day after everything failed (again) I just basically said "screw it! What have I got to loose?" and started living in pursuit of my personal dreams - and holy smokes - I succeeded. I think the main thing is that when you are doing what makes you happy and are with someone you really love and they love you then every thing is managable.

Everybody's going to have their own perspective on this and their own view about how to proceed - but I guess I'm just trying to say it all boils down to this: are you doing what makes you happy?

Pete

I cut down on Eating out (the biggest culprit) video games, books (kind of.....), expensive meat and cheese. Thank god the JRPG market is in a glut or I would be in trouble. Now I just have to finish overpriced Fallout 3 DLC.....

Oh steak I remember you fondly, but ever since I started buying Macross toys I forget how you taste. Now it's whatever I can make from cheap ground beef, bargain bin pork-chops and chicken "parts".......speaking of which the snows off the ground finally maybe I should buy some steaks for the weekend........... screw it I'll make an exception, it's finally Spring! :lol:

Edited by logos

On Graham's bread issue, if I lived on my own, I'd surely grow wheat in the backyard and have a small cellar dug out.

Grind wheat into flour, bake bread...

Anywho, to get my 2 VF-1s for Christmas (1/48 FTW!), I had to give up a bunch of prosepctive stuff before the parents agreed to such an expensive (And the Angel was on sale, even) toy (2).

I coulda gotten a new DS Lite to replace the aging DS I have (From the NA Release, making it one of the oldest DSs still operable in good condition (Hinge! Why did you break?!)), Mass Effect, doubled my Nerf arsenal (What? I like Nerf!), AND renewed my XBL subscription.

Instead, I got 2 VFs, and a HG Gunpla ($20 US at the local hobby store)...

*rant time*

What this conversation/topic is really about is priorities. Years ago, back when the 1:48 were the new hotness there was a member who was talking about forgoing a car payment or two in order to buy the latest 1:48 releases. We all adviced him against it, but he went ahead anyway because his bank had some kind of skip a pay thing on the loan, thing is he still had to make up that payment later because had already used it earlier in the year, IIRC. What we tried to tell him then was prioritize his needs and his wants. He wanted the newest 1:48 VF, he needed his car to get around, to work, to food, etc...

So, if you are trading one luxury for another fine, forego the overpriced pants, belt, and shoes in favor of the toy/model/TV/computer/whatever, but never give up the essentials and more important things in life just to buy something that is a WANT, not a NEED. Jeans are jeans, get the costco brand or the factory seconds, they are just as good and cost half as much, and a belt is just a strip of leather or clothe that holds your pants up, why spend a lot for it when no one cares. And, if the people you hang with get hung up on that stuff, then maybe you should find some better people to hang with.

*Rant over*

I agree with you bro.

It all boils down to priority.

I don't see anything wrong in foregoing or postponing

another luxury to get a new toy, which is also a luxury.

However, if you are depriving or scrimping on your

family on the things they need like food, clothing, shelter

and transportation, to name a few, just to get the latest

toy or cellphone, then I think you should take a long

hard look at the mirror and ask yourself where your

priorities lie.

I have nothing against those who choose to eat simply

or bring food to the office to save money for other things,

as I also do that. Just make sure that you are still eating

healthy. Your body also needs protein, not only carbs! :lol:

Same goes for those who overstretch themselves by

working long hours in the office or having several jobs.

If your doing this to give your family or your loved ones

a secure and better future, then my hat goes off to you.

Remember that health is wealth.

I think the same holds true for time. If you spend lots

of hours at the workplace just to get the toys or, for that

matter, the luxuries that you want, at the expense of time

with your family and friends, then I guess you have to

evaluate your priorities.

I`m glad I acted "irresponsibly", ignored my friends` advice and spent my twenties buying up classic items of clothing that won`t date. Now I have basically everything clothing related I want for the rest of my life and except for underwear and t-shirts don`t need to ever buy clothes again. Rolex watch? done. Vintage Levi`s? 2 pairs done. Leather A2 Jacket? done. good Boots that will get better with age? done. rarified Japanese made American Indian jewelry? done. All of these items cost multiple $1000s of dollars each and I forwent a lot of normal things to get them. I`m proud of my possessions and feel satisfaction with them and now I can focus on the "normal" stuff like house, car, furniture, macross toys (?).

Edited by MilSpex

Levis makes jeans, but it also makes belts. I personally don't like the levis stuff and prefer Diesel - although for some reason their belts game me skin rashes so I had to get a belt at H&M and it "works" just fine (aka my over-sensitive skin doesn't react badly to it).

I have just one question. Are you wearing any pants and/or underwear when you wear your belt? That might be your problem right there. :lol:

Just ignore this SJO, his life is empty so he fills it with toys.
I'd rather keep my options open and explore the world of wonders! I don't believe that happiness and contentment are from being in a relationsip (Married or otherwise) just to fill the empty void of loneliness either.

In the words of Robert De Niro: "Just because I'm alone, doesn't mean I'm lonely."

I'd rather keep my options open and explore the world of wonders! I don't believe that happiness and contentment are from being in a relationsip (Married or otherwise) just to fill the empty void of loneliness either.

In the words of Robert De Niro: "Just because I'm alone, doesn't mean I'm lonely."

You see, there's this thing a good relationship offers that being alone doesn't.

I mean, obviously, there's the free sex, but there's also a certain part of you that is empty and looking for something - someone - to fill it.

Oh sweet Jesus, did I just get semi-philosophical about love...

WITH A GUY?!

What has this thread or this forum become? :lol:

Personally, I enjoy my time to be alone. Unlike some people, I never get bored and have to think of something to do; there are always books to read, video games to beat, DVDs to watch, toys to take picture for, TV programmes I am really interested in. And in fact there are so many things I want to do, I do two things at a time very often.

That being said, I also enjoy the company of others. That is a different thing and make me feel "loved".

When I think more of it, yes that's the point - I think it's a good feeling to be loved. By parents, by your spouse, by your friends, by your colleagues. And among them, you have a better committment from parents and spouse to love you and support you (and long-time friends too).

I believe there are people who don't feel the need to be loved. Just similar to that somebody doesn't like sex. That's nothing wrong but they might have missed something good in their lives!

What has this thread or this forum become? :lol:

exactly what i was thinking...

no offense but... that De Niro quote made me remember when someone said that people who try to convince themselves that "beauty is only skin deep" are probably butt-ugly... LOL :lol:

but seriously... i had to give up some luxury items that i bought when i was single (and trying to impress :blink: ) to buy these toys, w/c i consider to be luxury items as well. having two kids now, i pretty much save up most of what's left after the bills and what not for my kids' futures... i finally paid up my debt for having a house built last year so i'm pretty secure in the fact that whatever happens, we have a place to call our own... like others have said, needs and responsibilities do have to come first but when you have a little extra to spare, i don't see anything wrong with spending it on toys, nice clothes, vacations or whatever indulgence that will make you shallowly happy temporarily... all these things serve as a form of "entertainment" w/c i believe people also need (constantly) or else they'll go crazy and insane... :)

Edited by m0n5t3r

You see, there's this thing a good relationship offers that being alone doesn't.
And you're 15, but I'm enlighten by your common sense!

I mean, obviously, there's the free sex, but there's also a certain part of you that is empty and looking for something - someone - to fill it.
No sex is really free. Ask your father.

Oh sweet Jesus, did I just get semi-philosophical about love...WITH A GUY?!
Not just any guy. But a man who doesn't fear loneliness... Edited by Agent-GHQ

I hadn’t had to forgo anything yet. Besides still blowing my money on toys; I’m still playing video games way past midnight, still watching everything blockbuster (and non-blockbuster) movie released, and still eating & drinking like a pig. I even scrounged up enough to update my DJ gear (yes… I actually learned how to mix music correctly since last November). And stupidly enough, I dumped what was left into the stock market (that’s right, my portfolio’s down right now).

I met up with an old high school buddy last week whom I haven’t seen for ages (he's married with a daughter now) and directed him to my website of hobbies. He emailed me and wrote about how astonished he was at my hobbies… I think he was more bewildered than impressed (well… at least he liked my mixes).

Maybe it’s time for me to look for a girlfriend again so I can be broke and miserable. I’m not being sarcastic either… been feeling kinda lonely lately.

PS: I have to mostly agree about the no sex is ever free part (and yes… my dad is the kind of guy who would say something like that). I mean there were the lucky one-nighters back in the day; but they also came with some bonus nasty stuff. Monetary wise, some girlfriends can cost a lot and others not at all. Unfortunately, oftentimes there’s an emotional toll.

I’m soooo bored!

Edited by D_Unit

i suppose i've been fortunate that i haven't really needed a toy budget. i see something i like, i pick it up. though i need not make trade-offs my mind starts running value equations: is the quality there? does it look worth X $'s? what other 'wants' can i buy for that price? can i get it somewhere cheaper?

admittedly, the "but it's just so cool" thought often trumps the others and i end up at the counter or clicking the checkout button more often than i should. still, i find it worthwhile to equate toys to everyday life as a form of sanity check: how many lunches, how many movie dates, how many gym classes...

and while writing this i came to a realization: if i quit smoking, i can buy a valk roughly every other week.

now the question is if..