Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

Okay. I finally went out looking for "Acrylic Thinner" and came back empty handed. The only things I saw were "Acrylic Blender" and "Acrylic Floating Solution". I did see a bottle of "Acrylic Cleaner" and a bottle of "Acrylic Thinning Agent" intended for use with some "paste" acrylics, but they were $9 a bottle. What's a good online store to get that Tamiya Acrylic Thinner and maybe even the Purple Tamiya paint for the canopy?

they'd like to improve the way the Super Parts are fitted on. They said it in a way (at least to me) hoping they get a green light for a PG version.

If it's PG then I'm presuming it'll be 1:60 scale?

Now mind you, I've never built or seen a PG kit with my own eyes - although I have read enough to "know" that the PG Gundam Wing Zero is terrible compared to the MG Gundam Wing Zero - at least from what I've read (about the feathers on the PG kit not moving and the like?) ...

But in general - I'd be up for a PG kit IF it meant that the thing would essentially be far more durable once assembled.

But still - it all really just boils down to one thing: they need to fix the DX. If they want to fix the DX by selling it in 400 pieces and calling it "PG" - fine...

Just fix the DX...

By fix I mean - wheels that both look good and actually FIT into the wheel area, a Gunpod that is held some OTHER way than by sticking it on a long plastic slab that looks tacky and not anime accurate. A canopy that actually OPENS and does NOT have those disgusting pegs on the side that make me think I'm looking at a Gobot and not at a Chogokin...

In the end - I got the model only because it looks better than the DX.. not because I inherently prefer modeling or something ..

Pete

If it's PG then I'm presuming it'll be 1:60 scale?

Probably not.

Gundam uses 1:100 for MG kits and 1:60 for PG kits.

I would imagine that since the current VF-25 kits are 1:72, a PG kit would likely be 1:48. They should (IMHO) stick to standard aircraft model scales.

Personally, I hate the fact that 1:60 is the scale used by the the DX and most Yamato Valks.

Now mind you, I've never built or seen a PG kit with my own eyes - although I have read enough to "know" that the PG Gundam Wing Zero is terrible compared to the MG Gundam Wing Zero - at least from what I've read (about the feathers on the PG kit not moving and the like?) ...

I've never built a PG Gundam kit but, the general rule of thumb (which also goes for MG kits) is that the older kits aren't as good as the newer kits.

Edited by Vifam7

How's the 6 layers holding up? What type of clear coat and top coat?

so far so good actually :) been transforming it a few times since i completed it,

and now i need to put on the super parts which i have just completed decaling.

i used mr. hobby's semi gloss clear coat spray and mr. hobby's top coat spray

will post photos of each mode here again if anyone's interested

Actually, the plamo designers in a back Figure Oh issue stated that should there be a PG version kit, they'd like to improve the way the Super Parts are fitted on. They said it in a way (at least to me) hoping they get a green light for a PG version.

wow! i never knew we heard of the designers even thinking about a PG version. be it 1/48 or 1/60 i dont mind, i just want it bigger than 1/72 then it will be a REAL awesome piece. 1/72 is js not awesome enough

Pete, you've saved yourself around 12000 Yen and got a better looking err...model

And if you get bored, you can always redecorate it with the decals, which really do look much better (more saturated colors) than the stickers

without super parts its still a solid toy to me, but with super parts i'd treat it as a "transformable model. handle with care"

anyway whether it becomes a model or a toy depends on how well you build it :p

In the end - I got the model only because it looks better than the DX.. not because I inherently prefer modeling or something ..

Pete

me too, i never ever did any model kits before this. i have the DX to thank for leading me to my first model kit. Thanks, DX :)

Are these the final colors for Armored Alto? Or is a semi-painted proto?

what do you mean by semi-painted proto?

this is the model kit and this looks like the final colors,

the rest is up to stickers/decals and up to you

Has there been any word on a 1/72 Super Luca or Super Mikhail/Michael/whatever kit?

so far no news,

but if they come up with standalone armor packs i gues you could put them on your luca/mikhail

lets wait n see

Edited by honkhet

i think it should be the pre production colors, but perhaps subjected to change

It should be the final production colors... Low resolution photos usually does that, make the colors seemingly washed out and flat. The usual Bandai practice is to tease us with unpainted clay model, and then the "resin-y" built model and sometime upon release, a blurry/good enough shot of the final product... Well... At least that's my personal observation from collecting Gundam model kits for roughly 9 years.

I sure hope the wing binder or whatever it's called is hollow enough to make it as light as possible.

Really couldn't wait for my Mikhail + Super pack kit to come this weekend (hopefully)... My hands been itching to built this kit. Say, for any of you who have built a Gundam Master Grade kits, how does Macross F kits rate in assembly difficulty? The last time I built Master Grade kits are like 4-5 year ago and since switch to era specific (and cheaper) High Grade Universal Century line... Worried that my hand eye coordination aren't as good as it was.

I would say that the vf is almost on par with todays MG models in terms of detail and gimmicks although due to the nature of the vf design there is not as many parts as say the MG sinanju I recently built nor as complex as the transformable EX-S sitting on my desk but everything you can think of is in the kit so its a great model to try out your modeling skills. When i first built the Alto back in Jan, which had been collecting dust since Sept '08, it took me a total of 16hrs to do a straight build the ozma in about 12 and the luca + super parts and mihail only took me about 5hrs each. The Alto took that long due to the fact that the previous plamo I touched was almost a yr earlier and the haste in the later vf is more accredited to my experience I've gathered over the many yrs and in no way indicate the lack of challenge this kit provided.

post-8906-1241785452_thumb.jpg

Just a LQ photo taken with my phone of my VF collection b4 I take some better photos after I get the painting all done and please ignore the rough sand job on mihails forearm.

Edited by onderon

I've been watching this thread closely and am very inspired by all the work in progress and completed pics everyone's posted up.

Vifam, I noticed you posted up some translations for colors on almost all the models, except Mikhail and Luca. Huge thanks. I've just finished my own translation for Mikhail using a Gunze color translation posted here. If anyone would do me the favor of translating the headings (which part the color is for), that would be great.

Oh, and as some of these colors might be out of date or slightly different, if anyone wants to check my work, please do. For example, "gull gray" doesn't appear to exist on its own, only light or dark. And another that springs to mind is "indy blue/bright blue" used interchangeably, I think...

Anyway, I look forward to starting my own build and possibly progress pics soon.

Here's my contribution:

column 1:

1: Bright Blue (Indie Blue) (90%) + Violet (10%)

2: White (100%) + Gull Gray (small amount)

3: Blue (50%) + Bright Blue (30%) + Midnight Blue (20%)

column 2:

1: Blue (50%) + Bright Blue (45%) + Midnight Blue (5%)

2: Neutral Gray (95%) + Midnight Blue (5%)

3: RLM Field Gray (60%) + Neutral Gray (40%)

column 3:

1: Tire Black (75%) + Neutral Gray (15%) + Midnight Blue (10%)

2: Bright Green (50%) + RLM74 Dark Gray (40%) + Neutral Gray (10%)

3: Pink (70%) + Purple (30%)

column 4:

1: Tire Black (80%) + Dark Earth (RAF) (20%)

2: RLM75 Gray (90%) + Violet (10%)

3: White (60%) + Cream Yellow (40%)

column 5:

1: Neutral Gray (100%)

2: Gull Gray (100%)

3: Clear (55%) + Clear Blue (25%) + Clear Red (20%)

column 6

1: Bright Blue (75%) + Sky Blue (20%) + Violet (5%)

2: White (100%) + Violet (small amount)

3: RLM74 Dark Gray

column 7

1: Violet (95%) + Cobalt Blue (5%)

2: Shine Red

3: Yellow

Edited by mickyg

A 1/60 PG kit would be awesome IMO. 1/48 VF-25 would be too big for me, tempting as it may be.

Yeah, thanks to Vifam for the info on the intentions of the development team guys. Now I am anticipating yet another VF product! :wacko:

But the scale, if strictly aeronautic and actually to-size with the Gundams, 1/48 would be probably the natural choice, 1/72 and 1/60 are too close for huge differences to qualify as another "grade".

Back to the Armored, which is actually sth that's going to be released, I insist: are the wing armor, missile bays and all that chunk of awesomeness going to be supported on that single backplate wing-folding hinge (EDIT: 1 for each wing of course)?? are you freakin' kidding Bandai?

From the pics it seems the backplate is being supported by the stand and not the model, exposing the cockpit...seems a bit like an afterthought, and the model would be very stiff, no cool poses anymore?!

Edited by regult

Thanks David and SVF! I'll order the model and paints on Monday and get started soonish (still have a Legioss that I'm sick of but need to finish - but that's another thread to start...).

Mmmm, new frame parts :rolleyes:

what´s this?

post-10806-1241816338_thumb.jpg

And this?

post-10806-1241816319_thumb.jpg

Hmm.. good to know that they are actually including parts to support the wings/backpack, sucks that such parts are needed.

Also: Oooh! More Sheryl decals.

Edited by edwin3060

Mmmm, new frame parts :rolleyes:

what´s this?

post-10806-1241816338_thumb.jpg

And this?

post-10806-1241816319_thumb.jpg

Wow! I hope there Bandai made some changes to allow you to mount both the gunpod and sniper rifle in fighter mode. B))

Is that another Sheryl decal set, this time specially for Armor Pack?? I want!

Edited by Lolicon

Hmm.. good to know that they are actually including parts to support the wings/backpack, sucks that such parts are needed.

Yeah, I know the feeling...I am glad they realized sth needs to be done, thanks Bandai, but also, gosh, you couldn't have thought of this in the first place? I am complaining, yet I am very sure I'll end up drooling over it and add it to the pile.

Yeah, I know the feeling...I am glad they realized sth needs to be done, thanks Bandai, but also, gosh, you couldn't have thought of this in the first place? I am complaining, yet I am very sure I'll end up drooling over it and add it to the pile.

Well, that's what happens when you add more stuff to a model.

Also: Oooh! More Sheryl decals.

It does suck that parts like that are needed. But then again, I am just glad they are addressing the issue somehow. The wing weakness is more of an inherent design flaw anyway.

post-467-1241966242_thumb.jpgpost-467-1241966250_thumb.jpg

source

Don't work as well as the previous ones - Amour pack just don't have enough big surface to show the art.

OMG CATHY!!!! *JOYGASM*

I've just realized that I've never seen the illustrations that they use on the cathy decals before 0.0

things just cant stop getting better for the model kit line!

my oh my, i think i will get both

i guess that means no more yamato 1/60 vf-1 ver 2 purchases from me anymore for a very long time,

though i do love that line too just as much

Wait... With the new Alto Armored coming out that includes the new Armor pack support pieces, plus a sniper rifle... Does that mean that Ozma's will include the Sniper Rifle and the support pieces too?

Wait... With the new Alto Armored coming out that includes the new Armor pack support pieces, plus a sniper rifle... Does that mean that Ozma's will include the Sniper Rifle and the support pieces too?

Very good question! If they are not gonna include something extra with Ozma (like the sniper rifle), then I'll change my pre-order to an Alto. I've been tossing that decision up in the air anyways...

Don't think the Ozma-ver will. Just the armor+support pieces.