Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

Actually, I was hoping that Bandai would spam us with all the different re-colours, just like they do with Gundam kits-- it would show the level of commitment that Bandai has to Macross Frontier--- as it is, with 1-2 kits a month (and some months without a kit release at all) I don't think we will get to see many kits beyond the VF-25--- maybe the VF-27, but thats it.

actually i dont think so...

i'm very confident we'll get at least the vf-27, vf-171 and the q-rae

they will come out sooner or later

the only thing on my want list that i am not sure about is the Destroid Cheyenne Mk II and Destroid Work.

So - I ran into my first Bandai screw up...

The stickers for the feet guards armor - you know- the grey half-circular things that go on each side of teh Messiah's feet... the yellow/black stripe stickers are too long for one of them... had to cut it down shorter...very strange :/

Not a big deal. Still looks good... but wierd...

Pete

So - I ran into my first Bandai screw up...

The stickers for the feet guards armor - you know- the grey half-circular things that go on each side of teh Messiah's feet... the yellow/black stripe stickers are too long for one of them... had to cut it down shorter...very strange :/

Not a big deal. Still looks good... but wierd...

Pete

Are you talking about the stripe that goes on the rear ankle guard? Because my friend did the same thing and cut them. :lol: They're actually the correct length. You just have to make sure to wrap them all the way around, including the "step" at the edges. Attached a pic of mine. :blink:

Don't worry though, there will be plenty of other decals that are incorrectly sized. :angry:

post-5703-1241533430_thumb.jpg

actually i dont think so...

i'm very confident we'll get at least the vf-27, vf-171 and the q-rae

they will come out sooner or later

the only thing on my want list that i am not sure about is the Destroid Cheyenne Mk II and Destroid Work.

I wish you are right then ;)

Are you talking about the stripe that goes on the rear ankle guard? Because my friend did the same thing and cut them. laugh.gif They're actually the correct length. You just have to make sure to wrap them all the way around, including the "step" at the edges. Attached a pic of mine.

I was thinking of wrapping them around - but that would potentially cause friction later on when the ankle guards need to be transformed - and the last thing I wanted was sticker-peal :)

So snip snip and everything fits nice and snug now...

2en5grq.jpg

Pete

I haven't done anything for a few weeks---still waiting for the weather to warm up! *everything* is on hold until I get the feet and wings clear-coated. Then I need to do the canopy. I have the forward fuselage, wings, shield, upper legs, gun, and arms done---I just can't put them together. Also need to finish the tailfins. Maybe I'll take a pic of the parts pile and post it.

I haven't done anything for a few weeks---still waiting for the weather to warm up! *everything* is on hold until I get the feet and wings clear-coated. Then I need to do the canopy. I have the forward fuselage, wings, shield, upper legs, gun, and arms done---I just can't put them together. Also need to finish the tailfins. Maybe I'll take a pic of the parts pile and post it.

Ooohhh I wanna see!

The tailfin decals are pretty awful and are completely the wrong size. I'm going to go back and paint the red sections instead.

Is it still snowing where you're at? It's already May. :blink:

No, but it's still cold until the last day or two. And it was snowing until mid-late April. Set records (or should have).

PS---yeah, tail decals suck (all of them). If I build an armored Ozma, I'll copy wm cheng and primer the whole fin, and then paint ALL of it, including the black.

Another Update:

After finishing work on the right leg and preping the left, i started work on the main assembly.

It's great to see the Messiah starting to finaly take shape and how all the different parts fit so well into one another, especialy the head.

post-9322-1241631810_thumb.jpgpost-9322-1241632174_thumb.jpg

post-9322-1241632273_thumb.jpgpost-9322-1241632376_thumb.jpg

post-9322-1241632911_thumb.jpgpost-9322-1241633028_thumb.jpg

I've started applying the few stickers that i will use and i have to say that, as for many of the posts above, disapointment is the word for most.

The hexagonal red-black stickers for the shoulder piece is the wrong shape and doesn't set well on the corners. Result: a grueling atempt to actualy paint those.

The long black sticker in the side of the "leg" is the right size but... the little printed vernier thruster is in the wrong place. Having cut off the vernier drawn in it, i was left with the option of placing the sticker to fit the actual position of the thruster and trimming it down to size.

post-9322-1241633493_thumb.jpg

Smaller details in red and black were done with gundam markers.

post-9322-1241633343_thumb.jpgpost-9322-1241633449_thumb.jpg

The red tail fin sticker is worthless, as stated above, so i masked them and will paint it.

The ankle guard stickers are tricky but with a few ajustments get into place... or at least close enough.

post-9322-1241633627_thumb.jpgpost-9322-1241633544_thumb.jpg

The one that surprised me was the one that goes around the intake. Because of the complex pattern, i decided to try and apply the sticker though, because of the shape in wich it is cut and the shape of the surface in wich it would be aplied... i braced for the worse. But after just a bit of careful lining of the center section of the sticker, the rest fell smoothly into place. A true surprise.

This comes to show you, sometimes the most complex looking task ends up being the easiest.

post-9322-1241633689_thumb.jpgpost-9322-1241633727_thumb.jpg

One final upgrade i made was hading a small fine red line to the antenas. I noticed this detail recently while watching the episodes and i just had to add them. This was made by cutting 2 small pieces of excess from the red stickers.

post-9322-1241633986_thumb.jpg

Next:

-Completing the left leg, painting the fin and stabilizers details and putting the few parts that are left together and finaly the grueling task of stickering, clear coating and dirtying this bird.

I feel that although far from perfect, this is looking better than my innicial expectations and served as a good practice round for the rest of the Skull Squad. Many mistakes that were made here will serve as lessons for the future and hopefully, those will be built a lot faster.

Luca and Michel are next since Ozma will be on stand-by... i'm still hoping there will be a stand-alone Armor pack and i might be able to use my VF-25S. If not...well, the VF-25S bundle is pre-ordered... we'll see.

Edited by westfall

good work westfall & pete

i am just done replacing stickers with decals on my michel

and also had trouble with the hexagon shoulder decals

here's some pix on my finished work, working on the super parts now

CopyofPicture013.jpg

CopyofPicture024.jpg

CopyofPicture.jpg

i am just done replacing stickers with decals on my michel

Stupid question but... can you explain the difference between the two? Are decals the things that come with the model and can't be peeled off? How do I use those? Are they like with the Gundams where I rub over a surface and they magically appear "painted" on the plastic? I'd so prefer that to stickers...

Nice Micheal :) That's one I'm very looking forward to doing...

Pete

thanks pete ;)

yup the decals need to be soaked in water and only then u can peel it off and apply it to ur model :)

although i must say they dont stick very well, at all (for the vf-25's case)

i had to use a mark setter solution to make them stick,

and as caution after i finished the decals,

i sprayed around 6 layers of semi-gloss clear coat (2 layers per day)

and finally a layer of top coat.

so this is all to protect the decals from being screwed up especially during handling/transformation.

after all the coating, my model practically smells like whisky or rum or some kind of liquer :S

Edited by honkhet

Just finished building the mihail after it was sitting on my shelf for a while and I was abit disappointed with my kit. Not that there wasn't good or anything and even after building the fourth VF it was still enjoyable but I was unlucky enough to have a pretty major flaw in mine. When I was putting the armor onto the clavicle for a lack of better word there was a obvious chip in the plastic. I know I didn't accidentally chip it with my hobby knife so it must of happened during production or shipping T_T. On another note I'm getting ready to paint the entire vf and instead using stickers and decals I'll be painting in the details and coloration for most parts such as the strips on the wings legs ankle guards and the dual color along the body of the vf.

The chip is outlined with a circle I already have a semi WIP on my blog which I have set up with a few friends just for kicks and anything gunpla and random related so check it out if your interested although the vf WIP will be slow.

post-8906-1241679308_thumb.jpg

Hm... soak them in water you say?

And then they peel off? I'll have to try it out. I'm gonna build a second Ozma unit soon, so I will use decals on the second one. Although I was thinking of customizing it a bit and giving him Sheryl Nome decals...er...which I guess boils down to me using decals again :)

anyways - tuuuranfurrmation! :) Ike!! (or something like that):

2j5c294.jpg

Pete

and don't forget to check the threads regarding decal application!

you need lukewarm water, trim the individual decals out of the sheet, and dip for around 10-30 seconds according to personal preference and water temperature.

I am the last person qualified to talk about this, but wanted to give you an early warning before you dunk the whole sheet of decals into cold water ;) !

Edited by regult

i used cold water and they worked just fine :)

but, i dont dip them for more than 10 seconds,

i just make sure to see the whole back of the decal sheet is soaked in water,

then it will be just wet enough for the decal to slide off the sheet.

if you soak it any longer, the decal and the sheet will separate in the water,

and when you try to take your decal out from the water it will curl up very easily and this is very dangerous.

always, bring out the decal from the water using the sheet (dont allow them to seperate in water)

bring the decal to your model and slide the decal off the sheet.

this is the safest way

Thanks guys :)

What do you think about taking a cue-tip, dipping it in water, and "soaking" each individual decal marker before sliding it off?

Also - are decals preferable to stickers in any way? So far - the Dry Transfers from my MG Gundams are my favorite type of marking because it's like painting on the design without having to paint - and there is absolutely no risk that it'll rub off or anything... which is a particular risk on a variable mecha like the VF-25...

Anyways - I must admit that while building this, I'm at times frustrated I didn't go for the DX - but... then again - I just have to look at it again to remind myself how ugly it is and go back to work on my model :)

Pete

westfal, you said you used stickers on the intakes? that looks like decals to me, never thought the sticker would be so "conforming"!?

Yeah, i was surprised too, with all the curves and bumps on that section, not to mention the shape of the sticket itself, i thought it would be a nightmare to put this one on. And the stickers are not as dificult to remove, if you mess up, as has been said, i removed one of the ankle guard stickers to reset its position a couple of times and it came off fine. That may be because i placed it just slightly and didn't rub it in.

@ VFTF-1:

Decals are a lot more complex than soak and peel, follow Regult and Honkhet's advice and research some threads on how to apply those things.

Dry transfers rule, its a pity they're not more widely used.

And great work on that VF-25S.

You G looks awesome , Honkhet.

Edited by westfall

yup each decal needs to be soaked and done individually :)

its helluva lot of work and pain, and takes ALOT of time,

waiting for it to dry and coating n stuff

and after all that, if you find u screw up one, just ONE decal due to handling,

the feeling is like dying a thousand times

decals are definitely preferred over stickers though,

they are much much more beautiful... by far

you'll js have to see the diff for urself, in person

thats why ppl go to insane lengths to apply them...

and about being frustrated about not going for the DX,

i know that feeling all to well... am almost slipping to the darkside

its helluva lot of work and pain, and takes ALOT of time,

waiting for it to dry and coating n stuff

and after all that, if you find u screw up one, just ONE decal due to handling,

the feeling is like dying a thousand times

Well - I'm not afraid of screwing up. I never screw up. Except that one time when I let that half cm Ozma face sticker fall on the floor and TOTALLY couldn't find it and had to pull out a second unit to get at the sticker for it and swear to therefore build that second unit as a non-variable Sheryl decal love machine...

no mistakes other than that... Dag... well - I hope I don't screw up when time comes to apply sheryl...

Do you suggest I apply the decals PRIOR to construction? That is to say - I've been applying the stickers on the VF-25S as construction goes along rather than at the end since I'm kind scared that when I put it together it would be harder to apply stickers.

Same with decals I presume?

Anyways - for now I'm panel lining for the first time in my life. Here's the wing unit. I also panel lined the rear -legs and pretty much the entire nosecone and cockpit and surrounding area.

Fun.

2i7v9r7.jpg

Hope u guys had a good view of the pics, courtesy of toysdaily!!

3510158854_98dcaedf87_o.jpg

Sweet! Is this a confirmation that there will be a 1/72 VF-25F Armoured Alto Custom? (Not that it is a surprise) What would be interesting though would be if it really did come with that sniper rifle!

Edit: Confirmed! It DOES come with the sniper rifle. Thanks to Ngee Khiong.

http://ngeekhiong.blogspot.com/2009/05/hg-...-unit-june.html

This is great news!! But means that both Armoured VFs are coming out in June? This is the end of the line for the VF-25s I guess (except maybe CF version). I wonder whats next?

Edited by edwin3060

Well it's really fast that this comes to the end of the line, or is it not ?

after the armour what's next? Will bandai come out with a MG VF-25F valkyrie?

I hope they will come out more stuff to keep this line going..

anyways more pics updates!!

Priced at 8000yen!!!

yv10.jpg

Edited by eyesonme78

Sweet, but I think I'm going for the armored DX Ozma. I've still got a battalion of Zeon and Federation forces to build for Gundam - and these 1/72 kits take a big chunk of time... An MG VF-25?? In what sense? The one we have now has an inner frame for all intents and purposes. I don't really think there's much of a need to make a more complex or detailed kit of these.

Last pics of the day:

11m5no5.jpg

jl0as0.jpg

Pete

congrats pete on your completion :D

OMG i come home from work, and this is THE news i get!

very excited about the armored alto :D

and it comes with SNIPER RIFLE

OMG OMG thanks bandai!!

life is worth living again

oh yeah pete, about decals right,

they are very fragile, easy to rip apart and curl up,

and after that there's abosolutely nothing u can do to save them :)

its bcos every single decal takes so much work and care to apply,

screwing up just one, just once, feels like screwing all the rest of the hardwork

Pete, you've saved yourself around 12000 Yen and got a better looking err...model

And if you get bored, you can always redecorate it with the decals, which really do look much better (more saturated colors) than the stickers, but the stickers seem to survive transformation better if you're like me and cannot properly coat a model with clear paint.

Meanwhile my 4 boxes are still staring at me from behind, yes, they really are behind my desk as we speak and I don't have the guts to start building them.

And by the way, as Pete says, these VF-25s seem pretty MG to me, size and complexity wise, but I will never stop asking for a sturdier build (more metal rods?), maybe 1/48, prepainted (a la Bandai Star Trek ships) VF--25s, but I do know I am one of those rare humans wanting a prepainted snap-fit kit...simple answer: the toys available put me off.

And that Armored F looks awesome, but c'mon...8K Yen for a box of plastic sprues weighing about or maybe less than a pound???!!

Hm - just noticed the sniper rifle... So we can re-create the 'Coup de Grace' (literally!) scene... cool...

But wasn't he un-armored in that scene?

RE: Decals. Great. Thanks for the info... I think. But - whatever - I want to decorate Ozma with Sheryl Nome decals and I will... although I was also thinking of customizing one of my VF-1s from Yamato... Or maybe my VF-0...Birdman Sheryl lover? :) why not? ...

Hmm...in fact...should I do that? It would be fun :) I could have a VF-0 from Macross Frontier then :)

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

thanks pete ;)

yup the decals need to be soaked in water and only then u can peel it off and apply it to ur model :)

although i must say they dont stick very well, at all (for the vf-25's case)

i had to use a mark setter solution to make them stick,

and as caution after i finished the decals,

i sprayed around 6 layers of semi-gloss clear coat (2 layers per day)

and finally a layer of top coat.

so this is all to protect the decals from being screwed up especially during handling/transformation.

after all the coating, my model practically smells like whisky or rum or some kind of liquer :S

How's the 6 layers holding up? What type of clear coat and top coat?

Sweet, but I think I'm going for the armored DX Ozma. I've still got a battalion of Zeon and Federation forces to build for Gundam - and these 1/72 kits take a big chunk of time... An MG VF-25?? In what sense? The one we have now has an inner frame for all intents and purposes. I don't really think there's much of a need to make a more complex or detailed kit of these.

Pete

Actually, the plamo designers in a back Figure Oh issue stated that should there be a PG version kit, they'd like to improve the way the Super Parts are fitted on. They said it in a way (at least to me) hoping they get a green light for a PG version.

Edited by Vifam7