Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

Currently working on my super parts....pretty freaking time consuming that's for damn sure! took me over an hour just to get one leg completed from disassembled, build back up, and decal. And a little painting here and there but not much.

Yeah god you just don't realize how much of the previous parts you have to take off and how tiring it can be when they're on there pretty tight.

I've got everything for the chest done and decaled....and a part of the back piece and the right leg. Sort of a bitch really.

Edited by Hikuro

Oh, its Alto-level damage, alright. It may not be missing any limbs but the guy that modeled that masterpiece of destruction really made a number on that kit. The whole body of the VF is scared beyond repair and he even scratchbuilt the inner frame of a wing wich is burnt through. A masterpiece, indeed.

The reference for the damage seems to be the final VF-25F scene in episode 25, when Alto drops from the cockpit in his EX-Gear, except for one detail. The Battroids head is painted white. That would place it in episodes 1 and 2 since the white head piece was from Gilliams VF-25.

The only other place, that i know of, where the 25F appears with the white head is in this widely know production artwork.

post-9322-1239392735_thumb.jpg

Still, a beautifull piece. And a brave fellow he must be, to damage a kit in such a fashion. I couldn't do it.

Wasn't that how Gilliams VF-25F was before Alto took over. I believe that is the only difference in the markings between Gilliams original scheme and what we see the rest of the time when Alto is piloting it.

EDIT: OOOPS re-read your post and you already identified that.

Edited by Dobber

I wait "super" Michel and Ozma " Full Armor " with impatience... :rolleyes:

That's it. That Luka valk is amazing looking. I'm gonna pick one up today. Well....order it today. Probally won't get it for like a week.

nice pics nylcbv, especially ur mac plus ghost X9 :D

i am barely able to resist getting the super parts + ozma bundle right now (which is at 20% discount right now)

try my best to wait for armor pack + ozma in june

meanwhile, me over here just completed my mikhail, here's the pics :)

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

I'm loving the MacPlus Ghost X-9. Pretty sad that there aren't any model kit releases in May!

That ghost really caught my eye. It looks pretty well done. If it only was about twice the size would display nicely with the 1/72 Hasegawa YF-19 and YF21...

Hey, I haven't been monitoring this thread in a while (not since early Feb. at best). I have gotten and built a 1/72 VF-25S Ozma a while back so I am not new to these models. Anyway I have been thinking about getting a VF-25G and I was wondering if there are any structural improvements that have been made since the Alto and Ozma releases? I'm not implying that my Ozma model is bad but sometimes (randomly almost) it can get real finicky and is very difficult to pose or transform while other times it will handle perfectly (if anyone wants to take a stab at why this happens go ahead).

Also I am thinking of getting super parts for the VF-25G if I get that, are the super parts difficult to attach to the model and/or is it better to just leave them on or is it easy enough to take them off if you want to display it without?

for the model kits, you pretty much OWN the QC of your own model :)

that is the good news.

i wouldnt say there are any structural improvements on the vf-25g,

but what i did was apply clear coat ( a thin layer, dont overdo it) on EVERY SINGLE JOINT in the model.

yup every single one, and it really paid off!

right now i js completed my mikhail and i can say it is really really solid even with the super parts on

now i can even pose the battroid mode even with the super parts on, no display stand needed!

anyway js talk is not enough, i wil post more pics of my mikhail tmr,

but for now here's a pose to prove how solid the elbow and shoulder joints are right now:

IMG_0230.jpg

Nice, I only took pictures of it in fighter mode, I haven't dared tried to transform it yet cause I like how it looks right now lol

hi man, can you put ur DX mikhail battroid and your model kit ozma battroid side by side for a pic?

js wanna see the size comparison

thanks

Atleast the super parts stay on better than the DX line.....I dunno why we're getting such a mixed bag from either or. I love the model kits but they tend to get loose or have to many gaps. The DX has no gaps, but tends to get floppy in some areas and the super parts aren't even that detailed as appose to the kits.......what the hell Bandai? I gotta collect both lines to feel happy?

Atleast the super parts stay on better than the DX line.....

That's because you're replacing certain parts of the model with the Super parts. The DX Super parts are addons.

Atleast the super parts stay on better than the DX line.....I dunno why we're getting such a mixed bag from either or. I love the model kits but they tend to get loose or have to many gaps. The DX has no gaps, but tends to get floppy in some areas and the super parts aren't even that detailed as appose to the kits.......what the hell Bandai? I gotta collect both lines to feel happy?

if you apply clear coat on all the joints, you'll definitely solve the floopy issue

at least for me it has :)

but you have to make sure you dont overdo the application,

else it will become too tight

Edited by honkhet

Very good job mate!!!

I´m decaling my VF-25G and I notice that Decals has a better "White colored" stripes than the Stickers. Stickers are too translucent and when applied, white stripes turns onto "light blue".

I´ll show you pics soon

Edited by alfye

While we are on the subject of stands. I am a little cautious of the action display stands. I have considered getting one for my VF-25S Ozma but it seems the stands by the instructions connect to the piece on the gunpod (in fighter mode that is anyway). Problem is, and this may just be with my model, is that the gunpod isn't the most sturdiest piece of the model and I've had the thing fall of before in fighter mode several times. So I am worried that if I get the action stand and set it up in fighter, the gunpod may decide to fall off again which would result in the entire fighter falling off the stand which I don't want. Anyone have any insight on this, whether I am wrong or if there is a better way of getting the gunpod attached? It is sometimes the hardest part to get back on in fighter after a transformation (next to the shield).

Also I'd like to thank honkhet for the great pics and for the help in telling me how to tighten up the model like he did. I am giving very serious consideration into getting the VF-25G with super parts and trying to build it up to see if I can get the same success he did.

Edited by Master Dex

I just checked my tracking number and my Ozma kit will be arriving today. Can't wait to get started on it! :D

-Kyp

GREAT! Will you post WIP pics? If not, I bet the finished product will be smooth.

The connector is somewhat fragile and your VF will tend to tilt a bit when you touch it. As long as you don't really bump into it it should be relatively secure against falling.

Well for when I am home this isn't a problem, but when at school my desk is combined with my bed and it is very easy to shake or bump the desk. For most of my items this is little of a problem because the shake or bump isn't enough to mess with any of them, but it might mess with this. The VF-25S can stay standing though in gerwalk and battroid through these shakes, but only if in a stable stance.

Maybe I should just utilize flexi-display stands for this and the VF-25G model I plan to get since I was going to get a set of those anyway for my 1/48 VF-1J Max.

I didn't realise this before...but the bandai action stands have "SPEED MIRACLE SPACY" on them. :lol:

P1010538.jpg

Actually there are 3 options. The plain Yellow, the Speed Miracle Spacey, and the Strategic Military Services. All options are included as only that "stripe" needs to be replaced to make the version you want. :)

Chris

Actually there are 3 options. The plain Yellow, the Speed Miracle Spacey, and the Strategic Military Services. All options are included as only that "stripe" needs to be replaced to make the version you want. :)

Chris

Well that's neat. I totally had no idea that was an option...or even that they said that. Too cool.

I finished my Alto over the weekend and took a snap of my canopy that I tinted using a mixture of Future and purple drawing ink (sourced from an art store). I'm quite pleased with my results.

The action base stand seems to be doing a good job of holding it up too. A little wobbly if you mess around with it but still well balanced.

Definately want to do a Super Michael and stock Luca to go along with my Ozma and Alto now. Damn these things come up well even by a n00b like me.

nqo7pw.jpg

Edited by General Chaos

I finished my Alto over the weekend and took a snap of my canopy that I tinted using a mixture of Future and purple drawing ink (sourced from an art store). I'm quite pleased with my results.

The action base stand seems to be doing a good job of holding it up too. A little wobbly if you mess around with it but still well balanced.

Definately want to do a Super Michael and stock Luca to go along with my Ozma and Alto now. Damn these things come up well even by a n00b like me.

nqo7pw.jpg

Nice job at tinting that canopy. It looks sweet.

Just 2 questions:

1 - What type and brand ink did you use?

2 - Did you use the decals or stickers?

Any way, nice job. VERY nice.

Edited by westfall

A bit off topic, but I have some questions. First continuing from my stand question earlier, does anyone think it would just be more prudent of me to go ahead with using flexi-display stands for these to ensure they don't fall over and such (see earlier post for my worry of why they might with action stand)? I want to get flexi-displays anyway for my 1/48 VF-1J Max so i thought I'd get a set for three and use the extra 2 for my VF-25S model and the the other could be for my future VF-25G model (I don't have any other valks right now).

Another question I have concerns clear coat. I am having more trouble than I thought finding some clear coat stuff for use in the joint tightening method honkhet described to me. Most of this stems from me really not knowing anything about clear coat substances so I don't know what is good when I search for this stuff. However what I am looking for is some type of flat clear coat (non-spray is preferable), but my searches leave me with results I am unsure about. Does anyone know a good place to get this or a good type or brand since I am not having much luck in finding either?