Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

Variable or not, I'm getting one!! If it is variable, I too hope there are design improvements...namely: Locking mechanisms for the legs in fighter mode and the wings in fighter mode. Fixing the wing root guns, which don't sit flush in fighter mode, and a way to mount the gun in fighter mode without using a stand attachment. Damn Macross is REALLY making it hard to save for anything lately!!:)

Chris

Why does Model Graphix always tease us with these customs and decals =( but a 1/48 Ozuma or Alto with Armour would be massive

If this is a transforming toy and not a model in 1/48 scale, I am all over it. Especially if that armor is made for it! :blink:

Variable or not, I'm getting one!! If it is variable, I too hope there are design improvements...namely: Locking mechanisms for the legs in fighter mode and the wings in fighter mode. Fixing the wing root guns, which don't sit flush in fighter mode, and a way to mount the gun in fighter mode without using a stand attachment. Damn Macross is REALLY making it hard to save for anything lately!!:)

Chris

Also how about retractable landing gears and better hips? Oh and ball-joint ankles too.

Edited by shiroikaze

I am glad that these 2 other models might become a reality after all. I really like the VF-27 in fighter mode.

I agree the Q-Rea seems to be a little small. Specially Klan-klan, she seems to be way off in scale compared to the anime.

So, have the model kit and the DX teams finally reached an agreement on the hip placement?

Let's meet in the middle... ^_^

actually I think the leg placement in this VF-27 mock up is exactly the same as the final VF-25 release, notice how the intakes' upper tip sit flush with the upper limit of the "crotch"? that's the whole point of the leg placement, otherwise legs always get blocked.

Just to keep this fever going w/o swine, the Quealuun Rea model kit does look good:

017.jpg

018.jpg

(photos sourced from blog.hobbystock.jp)

1) no need for transformation, only onpen/close hatch, removeable gunpod (missing from the red one, seen on the mockup), and articulations, lots of articulations!

2) klan pilot figure included (?) but not wearing a helmet (!), we never see her riding the armor without a helmet, considering she gets blown up mid-space at least tiwce in the show, it's not a good idea to go commando like that, maybe there should be an optional helmet-wearing head?

3) legs spread out quite wide, much better artciulation than the old 1/60 Yammie, hopefully it will be very poseable and hold these poses on the SMS stand, I'd need the whole Pixie Squad then! (RIP Raramia, my avatar...). There is good and evil, I am happy with wider leg motion, but that connector is visually quite intrusive (just compare to the mockup)!

4) there is one color scheme that I am sure will be very welcome, the Kamjin-clone guy in Galia IV...very classic olive drab, sand...much like a Zaku II or actually any military vehicle.

5) the kit does look a bit small compared to the VF-27 mockup, it's not taller than it, and I'd expect/want it to be at least a (big) head taller than the battroid valks, say about 25 cm. tall would be perfect...well, I guess nothing is perfect!

6) just wondering, has anyone seen the lower half of that Klan figure piloting the Q-rea? point is, does she sit inside or stand in the backpack like the old 1/60 Yamato? or...there is no lower half?!! Klan should be at least 9 cm tall in 1/72 scale to make any sense...such a big figure without lmbs is just sad in a MG-like model!

my thoughts only...

Edited by regult

The Q-Rea seems to be closer to production that the VF-27, so maybe Q-rea in September, VF-27 in October? I hope the VF-27 comes out sooner too though.

The Klan figure is going to need a lot of painting, and looks to be missing the bottom half of the body. I don't think it can fit into the torso of the Q-rea otherwise.

I think the hip position of the VF-27 will be the same as the VF-25, since the crotch block is the same (in the anime). The different position of the top of the legs, etc could be because the VF-27 legs are missing the intake, which stays attached to the chest, unlike the VF-25 where the intake is part of the legs.

Still going on about the amputee issue. I am not familiar with the Q-Rea design so initially I thought that Klan's legs would fit into the Q-Rea's legs. I watched episode 4 and saw that she sits in the cockpit with her legs up. Then I noticed that Klan on the model kit is out of scale with the Q-Rea. Or is it the other way around? On the model her shoulders are about as wide as the distance between the guns. In the anime we see that Klan easily fits between those guns. The distance is almost twice that of her shoulders.

(OT: also note the animation error where the left panel suddenly disappears. ^_^ )

post-6333-1242399991_thumb.jpg

post-6333-1242400004_thumb.jpg

post-6333-1242400012_thumb.jpg

The Q-Rea seems to be closer to production that the VF-27, so maybe Q-rea in September, VF-27 in October? I hope the VF-27 comes out sooner too though.

The Klan figure is going to need a lot of painting, and looks to be missing the bottom half of the body. I don't think it can fit into the torso of the Q-rea otherwise.

I think the hip position of the VF-27 will be the same as the VF-25, since the crotch block is the same (in the anime). The different position of the top of the legs, etc could be because the VF-27 legs are missing the intake, which stays attached to the chest, unlike the VF-25 where the intake is part of the legs.

That topic was one of my main concerns in the "Height of the Zentradi" in case we eventually did get a Queadluun-Rea model. Now we do!... the size of the battle suit is quite inconsistent: sometimes it's huge (when the pilots need to be seen "inside" or "coming out" of it, but then it becomes a normal-sized battroid when standing side to side with VFs (episode 25, Luca's RVF-171EX-not sure about the designation- helps a shot-down Klan, hear head being the size of the cockpit, yet the whole suit is about he size of the VF!!!)

Here is a different close up not seen here previously from hobbystock, you do see the brush strokes on the figure...and there seems to be really very little room for anything other than the arms, uh...boobs, nothing else!

007.jpg

The blurry picture taken presumably with a phone was from top-down, and you can guess there is a bit more Zentran torso in there, but no sign of legs (picture located a few pages back this thread ), guess we'll eventually find out.

Edited by regult

Yes, that's what I said, maybe we could have an optional helmet wearing head, coz this one looks cute!!!

007.jpg

The hatch cannot be closed with Kuran´s hair, so i guess that swappable heads be included. Maybe interchangeable legs???

Still going on about the amputee issue. I am not familiar with the Q-Rea design so initially I thought that Klan's legs would fit into the Q-Rea's legs. I watched episode 4 and saw that she sits in the cockpit with her legs up. Then I noticed that Klan on the model kit is out of scale with the Q-Rea. Or is it the other way around? On the model her shoulders are about as wide as the distance between the guns. In the anime we see that Klan easily fits between those guns. The distance is almost twice that of her shoulders.

(OT: also note the animation error where the left panel suddenly disappears. ^_^ )

I know this isn't necessary but the last 2 screen caps are just so uberly amazing every time I see them. Yeah I know I'm a bad boy.

P.S. I noticed I forgot to link which screen caps I was going on about but I'm sure you guys know which ones =P

Edited by onderon

Some pics of my models presenting RVF-25 almost finished:

002rhn.jpg

001l.jpg

55710482.jpg003m.jpg

005x.jpg

Its a very good kit!

Radome, Elint and 3 ghosts are a new challenge accustomed to the other two VF-25

I notice that the arms with Elint has the best fitting of all kits on fighter mode. They fits strongly and allows better legs possition.

alfye - nice display!

I was looking for decals at samueldecal and I accidentally came across these. Might be useful if you ruined your original decals. What is also interesting is that the Ozma sheet comes with the two decals that go onto Alto's head and back. So you can make an Alto with yellow-black striping. Priced at $13 + shipping.

post-6333-1242487896_thumb.jpg

post-6333-1242487904_thumb.jpg

Now the 1/72 line is having hip design issues? That does not match the lineart at all.

Geez, get it right Bandai !

I fail to see the point of your rage, I see nothing wrong here.

moving on.

Glad to see the Qrea get some love... I will probably pick up this kit for its uniqueness. And I swear to god I'm about ready to pistolwhip the next person to whine about line art in a thread... line art for anime is not the same as artwork designed with consideration for modelkit/toy production, and as such should not be expected to match with such Nazi-like enthusiasm, nor should it be.

I think he's talking about how the legs are spaced further apart than they should be due to the extra long connectors at the hip joints.

- It's still a prototype.

- Looks like an easy enough mod to make.

- Either way, me want!

Edited by Vifam7

The last one, Alto Saotome Custom (almost finished):

fullsquad.jpg

VF-25F kit contains the worst set of decals/stickers of all of them. Simply, some sticker are small and others like SMS logos are clear all around :angry:

Luckily Bandai changed the way with VF-25S and the others, but not in 25F SuperMessiah...

- It's still a prototype.

Yeah, seems that the sample not have been able to introduce the legs joints for whatever reason.

Nice pics alfie, the VF-25S with car, figure and trees looks cool :)

Edited by SVF-Gerwalk

The last one, Alto Saotome Custom (almost finished):

VF-25F kit contains the worst set of decals/stickers of all of them. Simply, some sticker are small and others like SMS logos are clear all around :angry:

Luckily Bandai changed the way with VF-25S and the others, but not in 25F SuperMessiah...

nice looking squadron you got there! can't help but notice the subaru in the background. is that 1/72? a model or matchbox? would like to know where i can get one. thanks