Yamato 1/60 VF-11B Thunderbolt - Thread 2

azrael

can someone plz take a lateral view photo for the valk with tailfin fully extended and landing gear extended? i wish to see the gunpod clearance and the overall lateral view of the valk with tailfin properly transformed...

im interested to get one...

thanks...

:)

can someone plz take a lateral view photo for the valk with tailfin fully extended and landing gear extended? i wish to see the gunpod clearance and the overall lateral view of the valk with tailfin properly transformed...

im interested to get one...

thanks...

:)

I took a few quick shots with the tailfins locked in place and landing gear extended.

The lighting isn't that great, but you can see the clearance of the gunpod.

post-10222-1246135092_thumb.jpg

post-10222-1246135102_thumb.jpg

post-10222-1246135112_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally caved and after watching Macross Plus for the first time and reading all the glowing review and reports on this, picked up a VF-11B. And so I guess it was just a matter of time before I got...well...."Yamatoed".... All my other 1:60 Ver 2 VF-1's have been PERFECT! I was SO in love with the look and feel of this Valk I couldn't wait to get it. Straight outta the package, it just seemed awesome. Then I tried to transform it. I don't know if it's just mine or what, but the legs/feet are really floppy and it's hard to get it to stand upright on it's own. The silly cockpit module is a pain also, kinda loose, and hard to get to look right. Wish they would have just made it not removable....Also one of the little gray tabs that folds over popped off, and now when it's back in fighter mode, won't go all the way down. Not a huge deal as it's mostly covered by the Fastpack Booster, but still....Also a leg came off mid-transformation, it goes back on, but I don't think they are supposed to come off, are they?

Just thought I would share this as I felt kinda ripped off after shelling out almost $200 for this thing. It will most likely stay in fighter mode I guess.....By the way, does anybody remember that old Clint Eastwood movie "FireFox"??? Damn the VF-11B looks almost just like that plane! kinda cool!

HOWEVER....My YF-21 came the very next day and can I just say OMG! That is an INCREDIBLE piece of engineering! My new favorite! Everthing is tight as a drum and it is 150% AWESOME. WAY ahead of anything Yamato has ever produced up to and including the VF-11B IMHO.

Well, I finally caved and after watching Macross Plus for the first time and reading all the glowing review and reports on this, picked up a VF-11B. And so I guess it was just a matter of time before I got...well...."Yamatoed".... All my other 1:60 Ver 2 VF-1's have been PERFECT! I was SO in love with the look and feel of this Valk I couldn't wait to get it. Straight outta the package, it just seemed awesome. Then I tried to transform it. I don't know if it's just mine or what, but the legs/feet are really floppy and it's hard to get it to stand upright on it's own. The silly cockpit module is a pain also, kinda loose, and hard to get to look right. Wish they would have just made it not removable....Also one of the little gray tabs that folds over popped off, and now when it's back in fighter mode, won't go all the way down. Not a huge deal as it's mostly covered by the Fastpack Booster, but still....Also a leg came off mid-transformation, it goes back on, but I don't think they are supposed to come off, are they?

Just thought I would share this as I felt kinda ripped off after shelling out almost $200 for this thing. It will most likely stay in fighter mode I guess.....By the way, does anybody remember that old Clint Eastwood movie "FireFox"??? Damn the VF-11B looks almost just like that plane! kinda cool!

HOWEVER....My YF-21 came the very next day and can I just say OMG! That is an INCREDIBLE piece of engineering! My new favorite! Everthing is tight as a drum and it is 150% AWESOME. WAY ahead of anything Yamato has ever produced up to and including the VF-11B IMHO.

Sad to hear about the problems on your VF11B. No, the leg isn't supposed to come off. This isn't a parts-transformable toy. Can you get a replacement from your dealer? I do hope so, as I think your piece FAILED QC big time.

Glad you like the YF-21. I like mine as well. Especially since I got it on sale. ^_^

And yes, I love that Eastwood movie. One of the best aerial jet-fighting done in the pre-CGI era, imo. ^_^

I don't know if it's just mine or what, but the legs/feet are really floppy and it's hard to get it to stand upright on it's own. The silly cockpit module is a pain also, kinda loose,

Are you pulling the feet all the way down for battroid mode?

Yes, the little shoulder flaps pop off easily, but they pop on again just as easily.

Graham

Are you pulling the feet all the way down for battroid mode?

Yes, the little shoulder flaps pop off easily, but they pop on again just as easily.

Graham

Thanks for the replies guys, I sat down with the VF-11B last night and gave it another "chance" as I was panel lining the wings, I guess if the legs are supposed to come off, that is not a concern. I guess I had the little flaps reversed? As they both popped off again, I put them back on and now they seem to sit almost perfectly flush. I pulled the feet all the way out for the "nose in the dirt" look of Gewalk mode, which is pretty cool, but find mine works better if you push them back in a notch for Battroid mode. It's still just a tiny bit back heavy with the Fast Pack Boosters on, but as my first shipment of Flex-stands is due any day now, standing on its own really is not going to be an issue......on another note, with a little practice, that heatshield is workin great! :lol: All in all, IMHO, this one is NOT worth the insane price tag unless you just love the design...I could have put the funds toward my vacation.....oh well! :blink:

Edited by derex3592

I hear you, it appears to be the VF-11 is mostly QC free unless you get a lemon, sorry to hear about your problems with the 11 and glad you're working them out, panel lining huh? be sure to show us when you're done

I love the VF-11B design, it's my favourite valk after the VF-1, but the overinflated 200+ novelty price tag is a huge turn off, I'm waiting for the novelty to wear off and get on sale like the rest of Yamato releases are showing, amazing, they have gone down almost 60+ from their original price tag

if they can go so low, makes you wonder about Yamato

I think the reason retailers have gone so low on things like the SV-51 is because they weren't moving them out of inventory at the old price. I'm sure they figured it's better to just take a hit and drastically slash the price to get them sold off and at least get some money back rather than not selling them at all and having them just take up space in a warehouse, not because they can still make a profit out of it. And after that, you can probably bet that there won't be any further re-releases since it was so hard to sell off the current batch.

I hope they are still able to sell the VF-11B at current prices for a while and are able to move inventory quickly enough. If they have to slash the prices just to get rid of them without having already sold a certain expected number, it would indicate to Yamato that there isn't much interest in the VF-11 and that would probably be the end of that. No repaints or other variants.

I saw a VF-11B in person finally and at the size for roughly $200ish it seems like a complete and total rip off. The engineering of the toy seems fairly decent in all the pics I've seen but you get a lot more with a 19, 21 or even a 22 for only slightly more. Maybe my opinion will change later..

I saw a VF-11B in person finally and at the size for roughly $200ish it seems like a complete and total rip off. The engineering of the toy seems fairly decent in all the pics I've seen but you get a lot more with a 19, 21 or even a 22 for only slightly more. Maybe my opinion will change later..

If you're making your desicion based solely on what you are seeing, then you really should invest more time and read and view more pics and info on this. This is an issue where size doesn't matter but mostly what you get out of it as a whole. The engineering on the VF-11 is far better that the YF-19 and on par with the YF-21. But based on the fact that the 11 is smaller, you basically get a much larger bang for your buck in a smaller package.

Go out and get yourself a VF-11.

You won't be sorry.

The VF-11B is a better Toy than the YF-19.
That's highly debatable. Other than the non locking chest area and the general light/cheap feeling of the 19 there's not much I have to really complain about other than maybe wanting spare gunpod magazines and some tampoing.

If you're making your desicion based solely on what you are seeing, then you really should invest more time and read and view more pics and info on this. This is an issue where size doesn't matter but mostly what you get out of it as a whole. The engineering on the VF-11 is far better that the YF-19 and on par with the YF-21. But based on the fact that the 11 is smaller, you basically get a much larger bang for your buck in a smaller package.

Go out and get yourself a VF-11.

You won't be sorry.

I think I will buy one eventually but at the moment it is very low on my list of things to do. It seems to me this is a case of Yamato expecting/predicting extremely low sales on this particular model and attempting to recoup costs by selling it an elevated price not reflective of the actual perceived value of the product. I do think I will be sorry I bought it but I am a typical obsessive compulsive over consuming toy collector so that's more or less in the norm.

Very, very nice indeed!

Oddly, though - I was really proud that I'd bought one of Yamato's earliest efforts when the MacPlus VF-11B was first released - even pre-ordered it! - and I'd even repaired and improved the eventual broken hips, carefully tweaked the joint ratchets and the tightness of all its screws, and left little tabs on the canopy cover so I could fold them under the canopy to hold it on mechanically rather than rely on a piece of tape like the instructions lamely suggested. Now I'm finding myself feeling a little miffed that if I want one that's actually really well made I have to buy it from them all over again...

Guess I'm now in the same boat as the rest of the VF-1 1.0-to-2.0 owners! Hah! :rolleyes:

heh! i too am an early VF-11B adopter, and i've done the very same repairs/modifications with my copy!! i found the leg joint ratchets to tend to detent at the wrong angles, so i simply inverted them all, making the leg joints hold angles by tension, rather then by detent. allows for better lines in FIGHTER mode. i also screwed the shield into it's FIGHTER mode arm slot, so it no longer pops off, nor has to be removed and repositioned in transformation...

DSCF2174.jpg

DSCF2176.jpg

DSCF2177.jpg

...still, this silly thing cant even hold a candle to the new version!! i GOT TO get me one!!!!

Edited by Shaorin

...still, this silly thing cant even hold a candle to the new version!! i GOT TO get me one!!!!

Wow...uhh yeah....the ver. 2 PWNS all over that thing........ :lol:

indeed it does! i just got a 1/60 VF-1J T.V. Hikaru, and i should have it in a few days. it will be the start of my new 1/60 VF collection. in a month or two/three, i'll pick up the new VF-11B. from there, the priorities are the YF-19, YF-21, and PERHAPS a VF-1S fokker as well, to top things off. i figure my ultimate dream MACROSS collection will be complete by this time next summer...

Edited by Shaorin

indeed it does! i just got a 1/60 VF-1J T.V. Hikaru, and i should have it in a few days. it will be the start of my new 1/60 VF collection. in a month or two/three, i'll pick up the new VF-11B. from there, the priorities are the YF-19, YF-21, and PERHAPS a VF-1S fokker as well, to top things off. i figure my ultimate dream MACROSS collection will be complete by this time next summer...

TRUST me when I tell you to get the YF-21 next. PERIOD. It rules over all IMHO. But it ain't cheap......stay away from the 19's at this point. Wait for the next release or two. VF-1S re-release is a solid toy.

Whats wrong with the current YF-19, just buy the fast pack version and everythings ok. On the subject of the VF-11's value I'm with bluemax on this one, $200 just seems a tad bit overpriced to me. Maybe if it was a colorscheme I liked, such as the VF-X2 or Pink Pecker scheme I would think different.

Try Angolz or Overdrive. They usually come within 10 bucks of eachother. Or HLJ.

Yeah, Angolz & Overdrive seem to be the only decent priced retailers currently with stock. HLJ has them backordered. I just ordered one from Angolz for $180 + $30 (shipped to Canada). I think OD charges $188 and they only ship EMS. Below's the link to Angolz's VF-11B:

http://www.angolz.com/home/productDetails....22&catId=32

When it was first released, a good price would be around $160; for me though, the $CDN had gone up 12-15% since then so it's actually cheaper for me to buy now. I was going to wait to see if the $CDN will go up even more but I was afraid all the VF-11B's will be gone soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I late to the party, or did everyone know that you have to lock the flap on the back of the Battroid's neck in order to lock the entire torso?

It apparently locks under the tiny tab that holds the two halves of the fuselage together.

Edited by Alex

Yes Alex, you are very, very, very late to the party!

So late that it's already the day after and we are all sleeping off our hangovers.

Guess you weren't invited huh.

Mwahahahahahaha!

;) ;) ;) ;)

Graham

My invitation was lost in the mail, must have been :unsure:

I don't feel so bad though. I know another member of these boards who discovered the Main nozzles on the 1/48 Fastpacks actually moved..........after owning them for FOUR years. :lol:

Edited by Alex