Macross Ace

Ganbare

With help from Talos, I built a colored version of the VF-1J Battroid from Macross The First. I made a new scan of the full detail VF-1J (with some Photoshop adjustments to install the canon Gun Pod instead of the concept art Gun Pod). Still got a little bit of fine tuning to do, but it was fun to revisit the VF-1 after many years away from it. Hope you all like it.

post-114-127864359373_thumb.gif

With help from Talos, I built a colored version of the VF-1J Battroid from Macross The First. I made a new scan of the full detail VF-1J (with some Photoshop adjustments to install the canon Gun Pod instead of the concept art Gun Pod). Still got a little bit of fine tuning to do, but it was fun to revisit the VF-1 after many years away from it. Hope you all like it.

what??? that's the VF-1J? Sacrilege!!!

I love it!

Glad to see everyone enjoying it :)

Great job, there, Mr March!

The only question I have is whether or not the VF-1j is supposed to have TV series-style hands or is that one of the things that you need to fine tune?

The source reference material actually just reused an old piece of VF-1J line art from Macross Perfect Memory (which featured the old concept art Gun Pod and the round, TV-style hands). See the attached picture below.

I scanned a new version and modified the canon Gun Pod into place. But Talos has told me the actual manga uses the DYRL-style hands, so I'll have to modify that as well.

post-114-127864662008_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr March

Mistake #2: Alpha 1 referred to as Omega 1 (2?). I'm not quite convinced that it's a mistake at this point. The reason being is that in some air forces, the second person in a flight takes the first person's callsign. Therefore, if Omega 1 is the flight leader, than Alpha 1 being renamed to Omega 2 makes sense. That said, I'm not completely convinced that it's ultra realism - as the reason why they had different names in the OVA is to make it easier for the casual viewer. Therefore, I'm waiting until a time when we see the YF-19 on it's own, and see if it's referred to as an Alpha or an Omega.

Actually Sketchley you might be confusing the pilot callsigns with fighter squadron callsigns. In "Independence Day" Hiller called out to his squadron as Black Knight #, since his original squadron were the VMFA-314 Black Knights....

As far as I know both are acceptable. Though it's true that other countries can be strict about using squadron callsigns instead of pilot ones.

The implication in the manga is that Omega was the designated "squadron" for the testing ( :blink: )

The source reference material actually just reused an old piece of VF-1J line art from Macross Perfect Memory (which featured the old concept art Gun Pod and the round, TV-style hands). See the attached picture below.

I scanned a new version and modified the canon Gun Pod into place. But Talos has told me the actual manga uses the DYRL-style hands, so I'll have to modify that as well.

Ahh gotta love Kawamori, still retconning... ;):p

The new paint scheme is an homage to the new schemes seen in Mac F. The stripes are an extension of the VF-0 and VF-25 with the numbering reminding me of the VF-171 markings... B))

Though I must admit that it is nice to see some after market decals for the 1/100 scale lines.

Edited by Zinjo

Absolutely cool!

Actually Sketchley you might be confusing the pilot callsigns with fighter squadron callsigns.

No. I'm not.

In "Independence Day"

... and a ficticious movie is relevant... how? Why not put some effort in with Google, and come up with something factual. <_<

Edited by sketchley

Okay, here is the updated version. I added DYRL-style hands and revised the number "101" on the chest with a more accurate font (see source picture in my post above). Enjoy!

nexxstrait

Thanks. Hope you like this updated version too.

post-114-127869682795_thumb.gif

Gubaba mentioned the head got a restyling, but from your picture it seems the same as usual.

It did get restyled, but as there is no full-body line art of the battroid mode with that head, March did the same thing the artists in Macross Ace did, he's using the old VF-1J as a representation.

This is what the new head that Kawamori designed looks like.

post-5201-127870793162_thumb.jpg

It did get restyled, but as there is no full-body line art of the battroid mode with that head, March did the same thing the artists in Macross Ace did, he's using the old VF-1J as a representation.

It's very similar to the one that appears in the CG trailers for the pacinko game (the ones with the real actress and the VF-1J)

post-925-127870883307_thumb.jpg

No. I'm not.

I suspect you are sir...

... and a ficticious movie is relevant... how? Why not put some effort in with Google, and come up with something factual. <_<

A movie as an example is quite relevant oh sir of stuffed shirts... :p

The reason being is that in some air forces, the second person in a flight takes the first person's callsign.

Never heard such a thing and smacks of serious communications confusion to me! The last thing you want during a combat mission!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My links sir....

http://www.milaircomms.com/mil_callsigns.html

If you go down the list you will notice several examples of squadron callsigns, specifically (granted not all squadron callsigns match their squadron names, however many do or are similar to the actual squadron names):

DALFIN ## = USN VFA-203 Blue Dolphins NAS Atlanta

HAWK ## = USMC F/A-18D VMFA(AW)-533 (aka HAWKS)

A few examples.

Another link of squadron callsigns:

http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?p=90765

The pilots actually don't use their personal callsigns on missions

Read the posts in :

http://wingsoveriraq.blogspot.com/2010/04/on-callsigns.html

Take Note of AT2(AW)'s post!

The film, "Top Gun", was accurate in some areas of Naval Aviation (thanks to the Naval pilots working on the film), but was totally wrong in others - it was a "movie" after all folks... B))

So sketchley, care to provide YOUR links? <_<

Edited by Zinjo

Very much an update to be closer to the Macross Zero design aesthetic.

Never heard such a thing and smacks of serious communications confusion to me! The last thing you want during a combat mission!!

See the following two quotes:

EDIT: Gah! Too many quote boxes. Changing to bold for 3rd party quotes:

"One fortunate aspect of the US Air Force Reserve is that fighter pilot’s tactical nicknames are also used as a flight call sign. So when a guy nicknamed Fresco goes out and leads a 4-ship formation, his air traffic control call sign is Fresco too."

http://www.fighterpilotuniversity.com/index.cfm/2008/3/7/Fighter-Pilot-Nicknames

"Callsign Flight: An airborne aircraft uses a "callsign" as an identifier when talking to the controllers. This is generally a word and number combination. For example, "Killer 01." If Killer was a flight of four aircraft, the flight members would be numbered in succession; ie, 01, 02, 03, 04."

http://www.christianfighterpilot.com/fighterpilotspeak.htm#Callsign

Ergo: Fresco 1 (or Fresco Lead), Fresco 2, etc..

Nothing relevant to support either of us.

Relevant to your point, but only in the context of the US Navy.

The film, "Top Gun" (...) was totally wrong in others - it was a "movie"

You know, you just shot yourself in the foot. Especially as you said the following in the same post:

A movie as an example is quite relevant
So sketchley, care to provide YOUR links?

Done.

And one more source is the episode of "Wings" (Discovery Channel documentary series, not the sitcom) about either the F-15 or F-16; flying out of a base in Washington State. (Anyone else remember that episode? I feel like a chunk of the internet's been erased... )

See the following two quotes:

EDIT: Gah! Too many quote boxes. Changing to bold for 3rd party quotes:

"One fortunate aspect of the US Air Force Reserve is that fighter pilot’s tactical nicknames are also used as a flight call sign. So when a guy nicknamed Fresco goes out and leads a 4-ship formation, his air traffic control call sign is Fresco too."

http://www.fighterpilotuniversity.com/index.cfm/2008/3/7/Fighter-Pilot-Nicknames

"Callsign Flight: An airborne aircraft uses a "callsign" as an identifier when talking to the controllers. This is generally a word and number combination. For example, "Killer 01." If Killer was a flight of four aircraft, the flight members would be numbered in succession; ie, 01, 02, 03, 04."

http://www.christianfighterpilot.com/fighterpilotspeak.htm#Callsign

Ergo: Fresco 1 (or Fresco Lead), Fresco 2, etc..

Nothing relevant to support either of us.

Relevant to your point, but only in the context of the US Navy.

You know, you just shot yourself in the foot. Especially as you said the following in the same post:

Done.

And one more source is the episode of "Wings" (Discovery Channel documentary series, not the sitcom) about either the F-15 or F-16; flying out of a base in Washington State. (Anyone else remember that episode? I feel like a chunk of the internet's been erased... )

Actually your "Fresco" quote may be relevant if the callsign is the assigned name for the squadron at that time. I believe I read somewhere that the AF doesn't have established squadron callsigns, whereas the Navy does for the most part.

We can split hairs over Air Force and Navy all day, it isn't going to change the differences. I could site the fact that Macross deals with a Space Navy, where as you'll counter with Macross Plus is in reference to a UN Air Force test center. So nothing is going to be accomplished by any further argument.

TG is loosely based on actual Naval Aviation procedures (reality is so much more boring than movie drama) and I could probably site half a dozen errors off the top of my head. ID4 is even less accurate with respect to the Marine squadrons :rolleyes: , except the use of squadron callsigns during combat, which was the issues in discussion.

Edited by Zinjo

Gubaba mentioned the head got a restyling, but from your picture it seems the same as usual.

In the upcoming profile, I'll include the magazine scan of the new head unit as an additional picture to view, but I'm not much good at drawing a new head on the original Kawamori artwork. Besides, it's really the "color scheme" itself that is the most important part of the custom. Since I edited out the concept art gun pod and put in the canon gun pod and DYRL-style hands, I figured I've done more than the official artists. Enough to ensure the picture is a close approximation and will be unique fan art :)

In the upcoming profile, I'll include the magazine scan of the new head unit as an additional picture to view, but I'm not much good at drawing a new head on the original Kawamori artwork. Besides, it's really the "color scheme" itself that is the most important part of the custom. Since I edited out the concept art gun pod and put in the canon gun pod and DYRL-style hands, I figured I've done more than the official artists. Enough to ensure the picture is a close approximation and will be unique fan art :)

I did not mean to criticize, you've done a wonderful job with the image!, I was only eager to see the new head (thanks Talos). I managed to sketch a coloured version.

post-925-127909587265_thumb.jpg

I did not mean to criticize, you've done a wonderful job with the image!, I was only eager to see the new head (thanks Talos). I managed to sketch a coloured version.

post-925-127909587265_thumb.jpg

I just wanted to explain my work, so no need to worry. Your drawing is good. I like it. Well done.

Guys, correct me if I am wrong please. I can't read Japanese. Last page. Bottom right corner. Looks to me like release dates for the next volumes of Macross Ace.

Release dates:

Vol. 006 9/25/2010

Vol. 007 12/2010

Vol. 008 03/2011

:p Yep, never tie Mikimoto down to a deadline!

He knows his fans will wait for it..

We are such addicts...;)

I made this quote couple of pages back regarding this:

>It'll come out when HAL is ready, gosh darn it!!

Not to mention Macross the First is the flagship title of the mag and it'll be NOTHING without it.

Anyone know how his record with meeting his deadline series are like? Ecole de Ciel for instance?

I made this quote couple of pages back regarding this:

>It'll come out when HAL is ready, gosh darn it!!

Not to mention Macross the First is the flagship title of the mag and it'll be NOTHING without it.

Anyone know how his record with meeting his deadline series are like? Ecole de Ciel for instance?

Macross 7 Trash was never late. Neither was Ecole du Ciel, except when it went on hiatus to make room for Macross the First.

It seems that while Mikimoto is ever so popular and on top of his game, he's never been an artist that has a diva sydrome, where others are prone to suffer due to their art. As a matter-of-fact, he's even drawn artwork for MWcon8, I believe, and I've never heard a bad thing about him. In a position where he is in high demand, and is working on a publication where there is some sort of deadline, it's a great thing to have such a great artist, and to know that he is also catering to the companies, and fans that anticipate his wonderful work.

So.... Macross the 1st, is Retcon of the Macross property (and another attempt to make Macross theirs alone from the old school material in possesion of Disharmony Mold)...

Now i like that Retcon VF-1j head unit (hells & handbaskets, id rather they retcon the VF-0 line art AS the VF-1 as well). But instead of a manga, i want a retcon'd anime of macross SDF... from Episode 1 to 36. maybe less, to avoid even more legal BS from HG...

Really?

reallymikimoto.jpg

Okay there was also a shot of Roy's ass in the shower. Make sense you'd be nude in the show but no dude dries his hair in the locker room in front of another guy with his junk at eye level. Been a while since been in locker room. I seem to remember people drying off near the showers and going to your locker with the towel on your waist. At least Roy is built like a man and not a skinny girl-boy with no breasts.

Scans from Macross the First. I saved the link when it was posted here earlier.

http://hi.baidu.com/%C3%C0%CA%F7%B1%BE%C3%F7%C3%C0/album/index/1

Check your perspective lines (the lockers). Hikaru's head is at about Fokker's nipple level.

Also, there's a culture difference going on. Long story short: public baths & nudity isn't as culturally taboo.

Edited by sketchley