Macross Ace

Ganbare

Is it only me or Mikimoto (or his assistants) is basing his VF fighter design on the good 'ol Yamato 1/60 1.0? I find it quite amusing :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised...Sadamoto bases the Evas in his comic on the Bandai kits, Yasuhiko does the same in Gundam the Origin.

As Renato pointed out many moons ago, the Macross itself in the comic appears to be based on the Wave toy.

I wouldn't be surprised...Sadamoto bases the Evas in his comic on the Bandai kits, Yasuhiko does the same in Gundam the Origin.

As Renato pointed out many moons ago, the Macross itself in the comic appears to be based on the Wave toy.

That was me: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&p=707999

Not that it matters or anything...

Looks like I'm out of luck for Macross Ace 4. This is the first one that I missed due to the fact that the friend that usually gets it for me left Japan a few days before it was released. The only place that I can find it online is Amazon in Japan, but none of the sellers will ship internationally.

I was considering heading up to New York to check out the Kinokuniya there, but I'm too afraid that it'll be a wasted trip.

Looks like I'm out of luck for Macross Ace 4. This is the first one that I missed due to the fact that the friend that usually gets it for me left Japan a few days before it was released. The only place that I can find it online is Amazon in Japan, but none of the sellers will ship internationally.

I was considering heading up to New York to check out the Kinokuniya there, but I'm too afraid that it'll be a wasted trip.

Check your PMs, Beltane.

Got it, thanks, Talos!

Glad I could help!

Despite me trying to be proactive, I've only managed to get vol 4 from Amazon normally. 1-3 I had to get from eBay (3 because I had delayed buying it too long. A mistake I won't make again).

It looks like it is sold out at my usual source.

http://www.nippon-export.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id=28878

But, if you inquire directly they may be able to find you a copy. They were able to find a used copy of an out of print magazine that I was looking for in the past.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked Up Volume #4

My impressions of the non-Macross The First Parts

In it we have the Klan Klan story. It is a good story because it shows why I don’t like Macross Frontier. Most of the story has the girls in shower. Plenty of T&A shots of the characters. Looks like they drew nipples too and then covered them up with traces of shower steam. Klan Klan is present in adolescent form. Kathy Glass shows up with very small towel. It’s the size of a dish towel. Bobby makes an appearance too. I guess since he’s gay the girls don’t mind. Of course Bobby wears a towel like a girl does. They are talking in the shower. Subject seems to be about Klan Klan and Michael. During the discussion I think Bobby is telling Klan Klan a Scenario in which Alpo and Micheal are shacking up with eachother. Cue dream sequence of Michael and Alpo together. In the end Klan Klan and Michael share a dance and she sees herself in her adult actress form.

As for the Series itself, I like the Music and Mecha Designs. There is good animation and a few good story moments. Fan Service is too much. Except for a few scenes/episodes it isn’t that extreme. Problem is even if they don’t go too far in an episode they still provide all the material for the fans to make their own stories up. Stories that are more perverted. They just tease with perversion in the series. You get to see all the characters and themes for something dirty but it never goes anywhere. People making up their own perverted fan works is nothing new. My issue with Macross Frontier is how they are almost encouraging it. These official comics are good example of this. In these comics you get the more serious Macross the First part and then a whole bunch of Frontier based stories. What happens in the Frontier based stories? A whole lot of same sex, underage characters, taking showers, bath, changing clothes, sitting around in swimsuits, crotch shouts, under boobs and side boobs. All the adult “relationships” are there. Michael with underage Klan Klan, Masculine Michael with Feminine Alpo, Experience Lesbian Sheryl with newbie Ranka. Things don’t go anywhere in the official comics. Every time I watch an episode I’m reminded that the series isn’t 100% fan service. Every time I look at a official related product I think it is 100% fan service.

In these comics you get the more serious Macross the First part and then a whole bunch of Frontier based stories. What happens in the Frontier based stories? A whole lot of same sex, underage characters, taking showers, bath, changing clothes, sitting around in swimsuits, crotch shouts, under boobs and side boobs.

I haven't seen #4 yet, but the amount of gratuitious fan service in Macross the First (especially compared to the original series) does bother me, too. Shower scene apart (it was there in the first place) we see: Minamay losing her dress and showing (even if we don't see it) her breast in front of VF1D, Hikaru nosebleed when he sees her with sexy legs, the photographers going wild when the wind uncovers Minmay underwear (presumably she is wearin it). Heck, even the cover for the first MTF tankobon makes me scream. Maybe I'm just too old for these things (or maybe it's the whole stupid pet animal introduced in the comics that makes me mad...).

Edited by nexxstrait

There are some fan service pics of Minmay. Difference between that and the Frontier content you can see by doing a slow flip book pass through the comic. Minmay shows skin in a single panel followed by ten pages of nothing. In Frontier they spend ten pages in a sauna followed by a single panel of Alpo or Michael looking all dreamy. Macross even Macross Frontier has more going for it beside the Fan Service but that is what they are going with.

I haven't seen #4 yet, but the amount of gratuitious fan service in Macross the First (especially compared to the original series) does bother me, too. Shower scene apart (it was there in the first place) we see: Minamay losing her dress and showing (even if we don't see it) her breast in front of VF1D, Hikaru nosebleed when he sees her with sexy legs, the photographers going wild when the wind uncovers Minmay underwear (presumably she is wearin it). Heck, even the cover for the first MTF tankobon makes me scream. Maybe I'm just too old for these things (or maybe it's the whole stupid pet animal introduced in the comics that makes me mad...).

Seto Kaiba and I were just talking about that in IM, actually. I've noticed a distinct trend in the most recent volume to not show as much cheesecake fanservice as before. I get the feeling it was just to get readers reading the new series. Looking through the latest ones in vol #4, for instance, I only really count a couple cheesecake fanservice drawings of Minmay (and one of Misa on the floor). I don't consider a normal drawing of her standing that happens to show a lot of leg because she isn't wearing a skirt past her knees fanservice, though. Besides that, flashbacks, and covers, which are meant to draw attention, there was a massively-lessor amount in this one compared to the first few.

And yes, compared to all the Frontier manga that follow it in the magazine, Macross the First is on a lower order of magnitude.

Edited by Talos

I haven't seen #4 yet, but the amount of gratuitious fan service in Macross the First (especially compared to the original series) does bother me, too. [...] Maybe I'm just too old for these things (or maybe it's the whole stupid pet animal introduced in the comics that makes me mad...).

C'mon... what were you expecting? It's a manga targeted towards teenage boys, so of course they're going to try to get their attention a little with a bit of cheesecake before delving into the story at large. It doesn't really do much to impact the story either way. I'm not sure why more recent Macross titles think the title's resident "Minmay" always needs a furry little companion... it just feels unnecessary to me. Enika didn't really need one in Macross 7 Trash, though much of my antipathy toward Ai-kun is probably a result of loathing Ranka.

I don't consider a normal drawing of her standing that happens to show a lot of leg because she isn't wearing a skirt past her knees fanservice, though. Besides that, flashbacks, and covers, which are meant to draw attention, there was a massively-lessor amount in this one compared to the first few.

I'm inclined to agree, Minmay's original chinese dress was cut pretty high up way back in '82, so I don't think it's really fanservice to have a similar amount of leg showing in her slightly-redesigned dress unless they're being blatant about it (like that bit with her dress and a breeze, or her sitting on her cart in volume 1 in a pose designed to show off her figure).

C'mon... what were you expecting? It's a manga targeted towards teenage boys, so of course they're going to try to get their attention a little with a bit of cheesecake before delving into the story at large. It doesn't really do much to impact the story either way. I'm not sure why more recent Macross titles think the title's resident "Minmay" always needs a furry little companion... it just feels unnecessary to me. Enika didn't really need one in Macross 7 Trash, though much of my antipathy toward Ai-kun is probably a result of loathing Ranka.

I'm inclined to agree, Minmay's original chinese dress was cut pretty high up way back in '82, so I don't think it's really fanservice to have a similar amount of leg showing in her slightly-redesigned dress unless they're being blatant about it (like that bit with her dress and a breeze, or her sitting on her cart in volume 1 in a pose designed to show off her figure).

Besides Mylene, has any of the female leads had a furry pet before Ranka? (Trash excepted, of course)

Hmm, not quite a cart, though, Seto. :p

minmay1.th.jpg

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ptn/Aircraft/FL200.html (Ignore the name and all, just the pic)

Edited by Talos

Besides Mylene, has any of the female leads had a furry pet before Ranka? (Trash excepted, of course)

Not that I'm aware of... I think Mylene was the one who started it, then Enika, then Ranka.

Hmm, not quite a cart, though, Seto. :p

Bah... you imported Macross Ace, I imported Macross Chronicle... the only thing I had to go by was the stuff you showed me on MSN. :p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I sent an e-mail to Nippon-Export asking if they will carry Vol.005. At the time I asked they only had the old listing for Vol.004 that was sold out. This morning I got a reply with a link to the updated listing for Vol.005. I placed an order, but when I went back to copy the link to post on here the listing shows it as unavailable now. I'm not sure, but I think I ordered the last one. Sorry, :(

http://www.nippon-export.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=28878

If you can't find it anyplace else, then you might still inquire through their website. They might be able to get more if you ask.

The same as before?

Vol 01: March

Vol 02: Aug

Vol 03: Dec

Vol 04: May

Vol 05: Aug

#3 came out in november, #4 in march 2010 and isn't #5 supposed to come out tomorrow? Maybe we are going to get 4 issues per year instead of 3 (once every 3 months instead of one every 4 months - beware, this is just my speculation).

Edited by nexxstrait

#3 came out in november, #4 in march 2010 and isn't #5 supposed to come out tomorrow? Maybe we are going to get 4 issues per year instead of 3 (once every 3 months instead of one every 4 months - beware, this is just my speculation).

I think you are right. They seem to be putting them out a little more quickly than last year.

I don't have issue 4 at hand right now, but I recall that along the top edge of the cover it said it was coming out quarterly this year.

Just picked it up a couple of hours ago.

- Yes, it's quarterly now.

- Not sure if I like the new paint job on the VF-1J...but I guess that, as a compromise between Hikaru's TV and DYRL Valks, it's as good as any. Strangely, they show a VF-1J head "refined" by Kawamori (which looks like what would've happened if they'd made a VF-25J), but it's not used in the comic itself. EDIT: Nevermind. They DO use the new head...it's only obvious in a couple of panels, though.

- Macross the First carries the story up to the Daedalus Attack. And Hikaru doesn't have to call over the poloroid robot...Minmay just snaps a pic with her cell phone.

Oh, and Roy takes a shower.

- There's an interview with Miyatake about Destroids.

- The "Nyan Dra" Drama CD adaptation series covers "Galaxy Memory," the story about Grace bringing up Sheryl.

- "SMS Tales" moves to Macross Ace (previously, it was in "Newtype Romance," I believe).

- There's a new Macross Plus comic...but it looks like it'll be just a straight retelling.

- Lots of collected volumes coming out in September: The First Vol. 2, SMS Tales Vol. 1, Macross F: Secret Visions, Vol. 1, and Frontier Memories (collecting all the short stories from the magazine).

Edited by Gubaba

- Not sure if I like the new paint job on the VF-1J...but I guess that, as a compromise between Hikaru's TV and DYRL Valks, it's as good as any. Strangely, they show a VF-1J head "refined" by Kawamori (which looks like what would've happened if they'd made a VF-25J), but it's not used in the comic itself. EDIT: Nevermind. They DO use the new head...it's only obvious in a couple of panels, though.

Could you post a pic or two of the new VF1J for this salivating 1J geek? Pretty please? :) (I'll get my copy of Ace #5 in September along with the collected The First tankobon #2, don't be cruel with a poor soul!)