Macross Ace

Ganbare

Issue 6 cover is up on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0042FYEMO/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=AN1VRQENFRJN5

Arghh!! It's tainted!! Gaargh! :p

This is to Sketchley and the others living in Japan: how quickly do issues of Macross Ace and Macross the First sell out there? I'll be over there in a couple of weeks, so I'm thinking of waiting until I'm there to pick those up, instead of pre-ordering it through Amazon and guaranteeing myself a copy.

This is to Sketchley and the others living in Japan: how quickly do issues of Macross Ace and Macross the First sell out there? I'll be over there in a couple of weeks, so I'm thinking of waiting until I'm there to pick those up, instead of pre-ordering it through Amazon and guaranteeing myself a copy.

I haven't seen the latest issue around in a while, but I also haven't been to any of the big anime shops in the last couple of months. And it's still listed for sale on the Kadokawa site.

Where are you going to be? If you're worried, you could always ask one of us to pick it up for you. :)

Up until now, the bookstore closest to work (where I pick up the majority of these newest Macross publications) has ordered more than the demand for it. With Macross Ace, 2 or 3 issues have hung around on the bookshelf for about a month or longer after release. With Macross the First, I believe there is still 1 (or more) on the shelves.

This past weekend, I checked out the nearest Animate, and they still had Macross the First 1, Macross Trash 1-4, Macross Frontier 1-5, the Macross Frontier manga shorts compilation and one of the Macross F books. Alas, the section with Macross (Frontier) goods seems to have disappeared (or they moved it and I missed it).

Now, to quantify the two: the bookstore is quite large, so they can afford to have stock sitting on the shelves for a long time. Animate is relatively small, so they generally don't have stock sitting for a long time. You'll have to keep that in mind when you shop (the only example of finding an "old" new book is when I found the VF-X2 Official Clue Guide 4 or 5 years after release in Junkudo Books.)

Great to see Macross the First no.2 is out, been looking forward to it. Shame any translated editions seem out of the question here now. Few days ago I had a chat with a representative of Glenat who visited a comic store owned by a friend. He's a fellow anime fan and as they published M7 trash in the past I had to ask, but he considered the chance of them publishing it zero :angry:

Macross Ace #006 comes with the following:

- Sheryl, Ranka, Aruto poster (basically advertising for "Macross Frontier Memories"

- Misa in bathing suit alternative cover for "Macross The First" vol 002.

Macross F movie #2 article has the following:

image of glowing red Macross Quarter under attack by Vajra. Attacked during reentry? Or is it a Fold Wave or Fold Barrier effect?

Aruto AND Micheal's VF-25 in Tornedo Packs!

Report on the Macross event in Pashifiko Yokohama (I think Tochiro wrote up his experiences going there)

Macross the First: Kamjin! Destroid action! Attack happens while in the asteroid belt with heretofore unseen grabby arms coming out of a Zentraadi ship?!?!?!?!

Macross Mechatronics: Swiss arm knife crossed with a mobile phone. Zentraadi size, of course.

Macross ranking

men: 1 Fokker

2 Ichijo

3 Aruto

4 Basara

5 Dyson

6 Max

7 Ozuma

8 Michael

9 Garudo

10 Luca

women:

1 Sheryl

2 Minmei

3 Ranka

4 Misa

5 Kran Kran

6 Miria

7 Mireena

8 Sara Nome

9 Myun

10 Nanase

mechanic:

1 VF-25F

2 YF-19

3 VF-1J

4 VF-1S

5 Koening Monster

6 Destroid Monster

7 VF-19kai

8 SDF-1

9 YF-21

10 VF-25S

Art quality of the Macross Plus adaptation seems to have dropped. And they've recycled Hayato's gag manga from either 001 or 002.

7th Code has a decent length this time, and the art's as good as always. Plus, Basara.

Miyatake's column is on the wildlife of Eden, wind farm, New Edwards Base, and SDF-1 in Macross city from M+.

Itano Circus column on... the Itano circus (specifically animating missiles)

Itano Circus column on... the Itano circus (specifically animating missiles)

And he also shows his love for "District 9"!

I enjoyed Macross the First, but the Ohara Noriko and Ishiguro Noboru columns seem to have been cancelled or on hiatus. And yet we get that recycling of a manga from only a few issues back. Colour me disappointed.

For me the columns and articles are some of the most interesting things in the magazine and if they go, I'll eventually just switch to buying the single volumes of Macross The First.

And he also shows his love for "District 9"!

Which surprised me. Nevertheless, "District 9" is one of those films, like "Three Kings", that is full of ideas and a bunch of messages. So, in some ways, it makes sense, as one could say that SDFM was quite similar.

Edited by sketchley

Which surprised me. Nevertheless, "District 9" is one of those films, like "Three Kings", that is full of ideas and a bunch of messages. So, in some ways, it makes sense, as one could say that SDFM was quite similar.

I think he likes it beacuse there is a clear Itano-Cyrcus homage scene in the film. When I was in the cinema, I sceamed Macrooooss!

Edited by nexxstrait

It didn't surprise me. Itano just loves to be loved. ^_^

I think he likes it beacuse there is a clear Itano-Cyrcus homage scene in the film. When I was in the cinema, I sceamed Macrooooss!

Isn't claiming that he likes it for no reason other than the homage scene painting him as both narcissistic and small minded (ie: it's only good because of the homage)? Isn't the movie about a lot more issues and ideas than that the one, IMHO unimportant, homage scene?

Isn't claiming that he likes it for no reason other than the homage scene painting him as both narcissistic and small minded (ie: it's only good because of the homage)? Isn't the movie about a lot more issues and ideas than that the one, IMHO unimportant, homage scene?

You must have misanderstood me. I was only implying that Itano must have obviously been proud and glad to have been paid homage to in such a good (and true) science fiction movie (one that follows the lesson of Blade Runner). I would. And that seems to be what he also said in the linked interview. By the way, I googled a bit and found out the director specifically stated in the director's comment on the dvd that he was ispired by Macross (through Robotech, obviously)

You must have misanderstood me. I was only implying that Itano must have obviously been proud and glad to have been paid homage to in such a good (and true) science fiction movie (one that follows the lesson of Blade Runner). I would. And that seems to be what he also said in the linked interview. By the way, I googled a bit and found out the director specifically stated in the director's comment on the dvd that he was ispired by Macross (through Robotech, obviously)

I've skim read the article. At first he says it's a good movie. Then that he's aware of the Macross/Itano Circus reference. The rest of the article appears to be about how the movie is either a good live action representation of anime, or anime should be done like the movie; but that's skim reading for you.

When I read that I was like WTF???? And then i laughed. I guess it is a good way of introducing that character.

He was already introduced last issue. I think fleshing out might be a better descriptor.

Okay, I gotta admit it...overall, I'm disappointed with Macross Ace. I love Macross the First, some of the gag comics are pretty good, and the columns and interviews are often interesting (when I can devote the hour or more that it takes for me to read them), but the other comics...? The best, I think, is the Nyan-Dra drama album adaptation series. Macross F: Secret Visions LOOKS great, but the story hasn't grabbed me yet. Macross 7th Code is...puzzling to me, and not in a good way. Both of these series have potential, but I'm not sure if they'll reach it or not. And the Macross Plus adaptation simply seems pointless. The art isn't very appealing to me, and the story so far is simply a retread of the series.

Personally, I'd like to see more of the Gundam Ace stable come over and do some work for Macross Ace. I'd love to see Masato Natsumoto or Ark Performance contribute to the magazine. I also wish they'd bring in Mizuho Takayama, who did Mylene Beat and illustrated the Dynamite 7 novels.

As it stands, I'll keep buying every issue...but there's not much for me to get really enthusiastic about.

I picked up a handful of the Macross related mangas recently released this week and been having fun with them, the only down side was that I missed out on the Sheryl's manga, totally sold out. Anyone have it and what did they think of it?

Since it's unlikely my local store will bring in any back issues of it I'm wondering if it's worth my while to order it in or maybe even pick it up when I head to Japan later in the year.

My copies of #5 and #6 finally arrived yesterday! All in all, the average quality of the comics has improved. Less T&A and more comedy and character-centric episodes (see Grace & Sheryl). Macross The First is obviously the gem of this magazine and it's good to see the art in a much bigger format, compared to the tankobon. I'm enjoing the MPlus adaptation, too. The art is nothing to write home about, granted, but it's not bad either and at least the comic contains some mecha action! I miss the Tenjin illustrations of the first issues, though.

• 2 weeks later...