Macross Ace

Ganbare

Strangely, though, there's no ad for the next issue anywhere in the magazine.

Which is strange. Though, in a way, they already mentioned the publication date indirectly when they made the announcement that it had become a quarterly publication (I believe it was either 006 or 005 that indicated a month).

Which is strange. Though, in a way, they already mentioned the publication date indirectly when they made the announcement that it had become a quarterly publication (I believe it was either 006 or 005 that indicated a month).

Yeah, according to last year's publication schedule, the new issues should be out at the end of March (#8), June (#9), September (#10) and December (#11). The lack of a precise date - it was present in the last page of every ongoing series until now - really makes me a bit worried. At least there is still written "continue" on The First, Code and MPlus. I guess we just have to wait and cross fingers.

PS: it seems Macross Ace wasn't on the bestselling list of adult magazines last year

Young Magazine (Kodansha) - 807,871

Weekly Young Jump (Shueisha) - 768,980

Big Comic Original (Shogakukan) - 729,750

Weekly Manga Goraku (Nihonbungeisha) - 500,000*

Big Comic (Shogakukan) - 454,000

Comic Kairakuten (WaniMagazine) - 350,000*

Morning (Kodansha) - 340,209

Weekly Manga Sunday (Jitsugyo no Nihon Sha) - 300,000*

Business Jump (Shueisha) - 285,334

Super Jump (Shueisha) - 277,500

Big Comic Spirits (Shogakukan) - 260,024

Comic Shitsurakuten (WaniMagazine) - 250,000*

Young Champion (Akita Shoten) - 250,000*

Comic Ran (Leed) - 207,350

Big Comic Superior (Shogakukan) - 204,125

Manga Action (Futabasha) - 200,000*

Young King (Shonen Gahosha Co) - 200,000*

Young Animal (Hakusensha) - 159,709

Young Animal Arashi (Hakusensha) - 151,584

Evening (Kodansha) - 147,980

Comic Ran Twins (Leed) - 141,202

Gundam Ace (Kadokawa Shoten) - 135,417

Comic Kairakuten BEAST (WaniMagazine) - 120,000*

Afternoon (Kodansha) - 102,834

Comic Hana-Man (WaniMagazine) - 100,000*

Young Comic (Shonen Gahosha) - 100,000*

Comic Ran Twins Sengoku Bushou Retsuden (Leed) - 91,442

Young King Ours (Shonen Gahosha) - 68,000*

Comic Dengeki Moeoh (ASCII Media Works) - 50,000*

Men's Gold (Leed) - 50,000*

Morning 2 (Kodansha) - 35,000

Comic Beam (Enterbrain) - 25,000*

Ikki (Shogakukan) - 11,500

source:List

Edited by nexxstrait

Mac Ace is a really minor publication, so I'm not at all surprised.

Regarding the dates and whatnot, I've been hearing a lot of things recently behind the scenes that the editing staff are a bunch of amateurs, and not even up to that level.

Remember how they skimped on the Noboru Ishiguro and Noriko Ohara columns in issue 6? Yeah, that's just the tip of the iceberg, apparently. I'm going to keep buying it, but I don't expect it to improve much...

Just got mine in. Yay! I haven't had time to look through it completely. Loving the poster so much I may have it framed.

Does anyone know or have a guess as to how many volumes total we will get? Maybe based on where the plot is right now in Vol. 007. Is it logical to assume the story will take us up to the events in FB 2012 and end there?

Just got mine in. Yay! I haven't had time to look through it completely. Loving the poster so much I may have it framed.

Does anyone know or have a guess as to how many volumes total we will get? Maybe based on where the plot is right now in Vol. 007. Is it logical to assume the story will take us up to the events in FB 2012 and end there?

Probably, the manga opens with the Megaroad leaving Earth, but who knows...

Next stop should be Mars Base, right?

They're completely sold out from the publishers, so your best bet would be, yes, Ebay...or Amazon.co.jp.

Vol. 002

Vol. 003

(Wow, they're charging a hell of a lot for Vol. 003...it's GOTTA go down at some point... :wacko: )

GOOD GOD!! did i actually read that right?

the Yen equivalent of around $95.00USD for Vol. 2?!?!

geez, i'm sure glad i picked it up for around $20.00 on EBAY a couple years back...

Edited by Shaorin

• 4 weeks later...

Macross Ace Vol.008

Release date: 2011.03.26

Source: http://210.155.150.151/soft.phtml?id=703436

Apparently us foreign fans aren't the only people confused - there are a couple of Japanese sites with people asking when it's released.

Edited by sketchley

Macross Ace Vol.008

Apparently us foreign fans aren't the only people confused - there are a couple of Japanese sites with people asking when it's released.

Yeah, the new Gundam Ace issue has an ad for Macross Ace with that release date on it.

EDIT: and don't you mean "'we' foreign fans"...? ^_^

Edited by Gubaba

?

us = we, no?

Sure, one could argue about the objective vs the subjective cases of those pronouns, but at a certain point that's just splitting hairs.

Yeah, subjective vs. objective case. Saying "Apparently us aren't the only people confused" would be out and out wrong, and appending a few nouns shouldn't change that.

GUBABA THE PROSCRIPTIVE GRAMMARIAN STRIKES!! :ph34r:

Anyway, Macross Ace. Yeah. I'm still wondering when "Macross F: Secret Visions" will be back...

ahh... but "fans" was the subject, and "us foreign" were descriptors. :p

Anyhow, my proscriptive grammarian teaching English to Japanese friend, if the point is basically understood, sometimes it's best to move on and focus on what's really messing up the comprehension in the classroom. In this case, me thinks it be what Renato said many moons ago - that the editorial staff are a bunch of amateurs.

Macross Ace Vol.008

Thanks for the more precise date. It makes it easier to hunt when you know exactly when it's supposed to be out. :)

As I found painfully discovered the other day, apparently the release date is usually a month after the deadline for the receipt of questionnaires, which is always in one of the back pages. For the second time in a row, I remembered I had to send the damn thing in the DAY AFTER the deadline. Last time I sent it in was about half a year ago, with a pic of Ishtar, but they didn't print it, nor did I win anything (I think it was a Koenig Monster that I put my name down for, but don't remember).

• 4 weeks later...

New issue of Macross Ace was, again, all right. As you might expect, lots of news about Sayonara no Tsubasa, Macross the First continues to be great, Macross Plus: Tac Name continues to be lame, Macross 7th Code continues to baffle me, and Macross F: Secret Visions continues to be MIA. Lots of gag comics (some funny, some not) continue to fill up the extra space. One thing nice in this issue: a comic about the maintenance crew for the YF-29 going through a history of forward-swept-wing Valks. Mechatronics focuses on the VB-X-2. There's also a nice Mikimoto poster of Mylene.

And Veffidas, I also picked up Macross: Zentra Mori, which is a collection of most (but certainly not all) of the gag comics from Macross Ace. If you have all the issues, there will be nothing in the book that surprises you.

Contents roundup Macross Ace Vol.008:

Macross F "Wings of Goodbye" article. Bunch of groovy images. Some of the highlights are:

- Red VF-1 w/ Ranka standing in cockpit while it's flying 0.0

- Captain Jeffery Wilder surfing?!!

- THREE or more Macross Quarter's standing on a planet with their quantum guns leveled and charged.

- VF-19(a?) with VF-25 Super Parts?!?!?!?! Captain says; note the SMS mark on the wing. And something about hearing Isamu Dyson's voice and if it was him, he'd be in his 40's.

Macross the First #8

The art is as excellent as always. This time its...

the set-up half of the Mars Base Sara episode. Unlike the TV series (which came across more as a magnetic field that only reacted with large metallic objects), this one more "accurately" depicts what happens when a gravity control mechanism is used to trap the SDF-1.

Mechatronics

It looks like either the artist has been changed, or the artist has become really sloppy and/or rushed. And who puts the focal point of a 2 page spread right in the center margin?!?

Macross First Contact

Looks interest. Probably because it's about Zentraadi in the First Interstellar War era. I just can't get enough of Zentraadi in Rigaado.

Macross Plus #04

Artwork hasn't improved (though, it hasn't gotten worse, either). Story isn't bothering to embellish events like Macross the First is. A shame, as the base story has a lot of potential places to embellish.

Macross Goods News

YF-29 DX Chougoukin: looks like the back beam gun assembly can pivot when deployed, as there's a circular part that looks like a swivel joint. Though, the whole thing is attached to a single arm that looks flimsy (ie take care when pivoting).

2-page ad for Valkyries 2nd Sortie

If you need a preview of the book, or just can't afford it, this is the best depiction of the content in print form that I've seen so far.

3x PSP stickers.

Not my cup of tea, but if you want to decorate your PSP... they're Macross F themed.

9 Number Maniacs

The artwork is satisfactory. But man-oh-man, it's all about forward swept winged VFs. It's a keeper for one reason: Max and Miria piloted VF-9 taking on a Queadluun-Rau. (I think I'm going to call this week the week of the VF-9. That craft is EVERYWHERE right now.)

Forward Swept-wing VF genealogy

Neat 3-page article on the VF-X-10, VF-9, YF-19, VF-19 & YF-29. Some specs, too.

Macross 7th Code

The manga with the next best art, after Macross the First of course, IMHO. More Basara Nekkei. Definitely capturing the Macross 7 energy (though, I'm not a fan of M7, I like this one. Hmmm....)

Itano Circus

Itano Ichiro interview. D.A.S.T.!

'nuff said.

Some interesting ads in this one. Probably the most interesting is a 3 pager to get readers up to speed on Ecole du Ciel.

And... http://www.jrc.or.jp.

Support.

... and, once more, no indication on when the next issue will be published. That box has been preempted, once more, for a message about "the wings of goodbye"... >.<

Excellent overview. Definitely looking forward to this issue.

Re: Wings of Goodbye

That is Ranka doing her performance of Koi no Dogfight. That other one is supposed to be Isamu's actual YF-19, just upgraded and he is piloting it in a cameo.

With the FSW VFs section, sketchley, is there any dimensional data for the VF-X-10? The others, like the VF-3000, VF-4, and VF-X-11 have lengths, but Kawamori didn't include one for that plane. It's been bugging me for awhile.

With the FSW VFs section, sketchley, is there any dimensional data for the VF-X-10? The others, like the VF-3000, VF-4, and VF-X-11 have lengths, but Kawamori didn't include one for that plane. It's been bugging me for awhile.

No dimensional data, but the artist has put it next to microns, and uses it to transport a macron-Zentraadi in an under-slung pod. So one does get a sense of scale.

That said, I wouldn't put too much faith in the article, as it's consistently been akin to kit-bashed models, and not really factual. Even the shape of the VF-X-10 is heretofore unseen. At first I thought I was looking at the Pheyos Valkyrie!

No dimensional data, but the artist has put it next to microns, and uses it to transport a macron-Zentraadi in an under-slung pod. So one does get a sense of scale.

That said, I wouldn't put too much faith in the article, as it's consistently been akin to kit-bashed models, and not really factual. Even the shape of the VF-X-10 is heretofore unseen. At first I thought I was looking at the Pheyos Valkyrie!

Hmm, interesting. I've tried scaling it to be close to the VF-9, but the cockpit always looked small. I'll keep trying, I guess.

Then there's the Kawamori interview and the Yoko Kanno interview and "analysis" of each song on the Netabare album.

Pretty interesting.

Yeah I need to sit down and read these. Possibly the most interesting non-manga element of this issue.

With regards to the new issue, imo Macross The First is strong, as always with the rest of the manga running a very distant second. Theres also less merchandise coverage than before and they have rehashed some Traingl Frontier stuff, but given that the Macross Frontier boom is almost over now I see this as a natural progression. It will be interesting to see how they try to pad content out in the months to come (with more interviews hopefully!).

I was also surprised that they didnt cover the premiere of Wings of Farewell in more depth. The opening day talkshows got the barest of mentions in a tiny corner with a teeny tiny picture or 2.

On the good side, all the Macross-themed food from the Namja Town promotional tie-in is covered - much better pictures of the food than...well, than the food actually looked like.

Also of surprise was not one, not two, but THREE posters. The main pack-in one is a bit spoilerific and is, honestly, not all that good. the two fold-out A4 posters though, are excellent. One is a touched up version of a Mylene picture that Mikimoto did specifically for the Double Mylene Birthday concert. I never thought it would see the light of day, so seeing the poster was a nice surprise. Looks like I can post the pics I snuck at the concert now, lol.

And while this has been said elsewhere - this issue is full of movie spoilers so importers, you have been warned!

Edited by Tochiro

Yeah I need to sit down and read these. Possibly the most interesting non-manga element of this issue.

With regards to the new issue, imo Macross The First is strong, as always with the rest of the manga running a very distant second. Theres also less merchandise coverage than before and they have rehashed some Traingl Frontier stuff, but given that the Macross Frontier boom is almost over now I see this as a natural progression. It will be interesting to see how they try to pad content out in the months to come (with more interviews hopefully!).

The Kanno interview is quite good. She talks a lot about May'n and Megumi. The song "analysis" was good too.

Haven't read the Kawamori interview... Really long.

Loved Macross the First as always... and Macross bento just made me crack up.

I loved the one where Misa lobs the papers straight at Hikaru's face and then meekly goes "oh, sorry, I seem to have dropped my stuff..." with Hikaru going, "WTF? You chucked them directly at me, man..."

Stupid, but funny. :lol: (And that's not even the punchline!)

In other news, Ichiro Itano's D.A.S.T. is disbanding? :o Damn. :(

Edited by Renato

I liked this one

Sheryl! Ranka!

Nanase! Lt. Glass! Captain Klan!

Grace! Nene! Raramia!

Lieutenant Canaria! Bridge Bunnies!

Captain Bobby! Miranda!

You are ALL my wings!

and LOL at the reaction shot on the next page.

Edited by hulagu

I was looking through this, today at work, and I didn't quite get what the "Macross the First Contact" story was. Is this supposed to be an in canon side story, or just a manga short? What exactly is it?

The Bye Bye Mars story is slightly different, but as always, looks great. Really happy with this issue of it.

I was looking through this, today at work, and I didn't quite get what the "Macross the First Contact" story was. Is this supposed to be an in canon side story, or just a manga short? What exactly is it?

The Bye Bye Mars story is slightly different, but as always, looks great. Really happy with this issue of it.

Kind of a side story. I think it was drawn by one of the Macross the First staff... correct me if I'm wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

The Kanno interview is quite good. She talks a lot about May'n and Megumi. The song "analysis" was good too.

Haven't read the Kawamori interview... Really long.

Just out of curiosity, is the interview distinct or identical with the one really, REALLY long in the official complete book for second film that was released on 16th? Oh, and is there any chance of getting that translated, at least the track commentary part... for me instead of Valkyries the main pull has always been the music (and Kanno's involvement probably explains why Plus and Frontier are my favourites overall :p) so this kind of stuff is very, very interesting to me...

• 1 month later...

Wow... will Macross Ace continue? Macross The First is going to be published in a new magazine - I wonder if it will be a reprinting or not? Because if Macross Ace loses Macross The First then the publication is as good as finished imo.....

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-05-23/new-kadokawa-manga-magazine-to-run-5+anime-tie-ins

Well, it wouldn't surprise me if it did disappear. That magazine is increasingly made up of filler recently, and it seems it's existence was mainly as a hype machine for the Frontier movies. Now that they're done, I think they're predicting a void.

Apart from The First, the best things in that magazine for me are the Itano interviews and Ryuusuke Hikawa's columns, so if it does end I will miss them. There will be no shortage of Yoko Kanno, May'n and Megumi, etc. interviews in the other myriad magazines, since they are relevant to the current anime scene.