Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.3

Graham

What... The.. Hell?

You need an extra piece to mount the gunpod in fighter?

And I assume its not part of the transformation.... Is that canon? Can that even be called perfect transformation!?

Does anyone know if the model kit needs anything like this to hold the gunpod?

Edited by Cent

What... The.. Hell?

You need an extra piece to mount the gunpod in fighter?

And I assume its not part of the transformation.... Is that canon? Can that even be called perfect transformation!?

Does anyone know if the model kit needs anything like this to hold the gunpod?

In fact the model does*. Actually the model technically uses two pieces to hold the gunpod in fighter mode, one of which is the connector for the action stands if you choose to use one. However truth be told it doesn't bother me in the slightest (actually I kind of like how it looks) but I tend to be that guy that doesn't make a big deal about such small things (no offense to all those other people that really enjoy trying to have it their way). The model however has far more parts that are left sitting aside than the DX though, mostly due to the landing hear and the rear landing hear doors which have to be replaced with closed doors when not using the gear (or transforming it).

So rarely is anything truthfully perfect transformation. I can't even remember now if Bandai actually was promoting these things as perfect transformation or if people just assumed that over time.

* I will point out however that the pieces for holding the gunpod in fighter mode on the model are very different from that piece on the DX there. One attaches to the gunpod handle and fits between the arms, the other slides over the gunpod barrel and connects between and in front of the shoulders.

Edited by Master Dex

The gun pod piece doesn't bother me so much as the need to swap the hands out.

Something also still present in the model (granted I agree that is something you'd expect in a model more than a toy like the DX, but I felt it worth mentioning).

I can't even remember now if Bandai actually was promoting these things as perfect transformation or if people just assumed that over time.

Bandai definitely want the consumer to know they consider the DX to be PT. The words 完全変形 (Perfect Transformation) are printed nice and large on the front of the box. No way a Japanese reader could miss it.

10074070ayf8ao0.jpg

Edited by IXTL

I would also add that I am not surprised because if you look at the vast range of Bandai products - then most of their SOCs have interchangable fists anyways.

Heck - even Yamato has TV accurate hands with the v.2 VF-1S.

As for the Gunpod strap - again I'll defend Bandai...

Do we see Roy taking a strap out of subspace to attach Hikaru's damaged cockpit to his arm in SDFM TV?

No.

Does this mean that the v.2 VF-1 is somehow not perfect trransformation because it has a strap to do this?

No.

Perfect transformation basically means it is not a parts former - and it's not.

I am curious - UncleNewbie dude who opened two threads that got locked in which he praised his VF-25S to high heavens - forgive me for not remembering your avatar - but question:

Did your Ozma have straight lasers on the head? You praise the figure so highly that it seems it must have - or that it wasn't a problem straightening them out.

I've come to accept the VF-25 by Bandai (since yesterday when I still hated it) - but those ugly ugly lasers really make it hard to be enthused about Ozma...

Have people straightened their lasers out?

The promo pics and even the blasted box pic show the lasers to be straight...

Pete

I can understand Bandai's decision to go with PVC on the head lasers on Ozma's VF-25S.

If they had made them ABS, and kept them the same size, they would have been increadibly fragile.

It seems fragility is something Bandai was seeking to avoid. This toy has been promoted as being rugged and durable.

Yes, Bandai could have made them out of thicker, but to make them thick enough to be durable, they would likely be too thick and out of scale with the rest of the head.

Graham

I can understand Bandai's decision to go with PVC on the head lasers on Ozma's VF-25S.

If they had made them ABS, and kept them the same size, they would have been increadibly fragile.

It seems fragility is something Bandai was seeking to avoid. This toy has been promoted as being rugged and durable.

Yes, Bandai could have made them out of thicker, but to make them thick enough to be durable, they would likely be too thick and out of scale with the rest of the head.

Graham

The 1/72 headlasers are not far off the 1/60 lasers. I`ve been thinking about transplanting them.

why not use 4 metal pins/rods in place of the dark grey tips? Thats what i would like to do when mine arrives, assuming they dont taper in to much from base to tip and just look plain weird? Plenty of those sort of rods at local toy shop so im sure somethin would come close =-)

*fingers crossed that HLJ has shipped the order they have charged from a couple of days ago...!*

I would also add that I am not surprised because if you look at the vast range of Bandai products - then most of their SOCs have interchangable fists anyways.

Having the option to swap interchangeable hands isn't the issue. It's that you have to swap them out to transform. There's no option to leave in the hand that can hold the gun pod, and the hands you have to use for fighter mode aren't useful at all for battroid mode.

As for the Gunpod strap - again I'll defend Bandai...

Attaching Hikaru's damaged cockpit to the arm of Roy's VF-1S is not part of the transformation, it's a cute extra and a nod to one episode from the tv series. It's not the same sort of thing at all. However, I do agree that the gun pod issue alone doesn't disqualify the DX as being perfect transformation. You couldn't even stow the gun pod in the Takatoku VF-1. Still, it's odd that they didn't work the gun pod attachment into the toy rather than a separate piece.

Perfect transformation basically means it is not a parts former - and it's not.

Except, you do have to swap out the hands. Granted, it's not the same as the 1/100 toys which have you swapping out many pieces. It's more on the level of being required to swap out the heat shield/cockpit canopy from Yamato's first VF-1 toys. Between the hands and the gun pod there are multiple pieces you have to take off and keep track of between transformations.

Is that deal breaker? Probably not for most. Still, the DX toys have a lot of little issues for people to weigh.

It seems as though a lot of ppl on this board aren't used to bandai products... Although alot of products are labeled perfect transformation or "perfect grade" there are always little attachment's and interchangeable parts that come with almost all bandai products...

Bandai's main goal is to make they're products as affordable as possible... They're basically trying to balance looks and accuracy with economics... In the end the economics usually wins out over "perfection" if that means it'll cost much more to make a product that is truly considered perfect.

Yamato only caters to adult collectors and their market usually serves ppl with more disposable income... So ppl get perfect figures but at a not so perfect cost... The YF-21 for example is an excellent toy and is perfect in nearly every way but the thing is 220 U.S dollars.... That's alot more than most bandai products even some perfect grade kits don't cost that much...

It seems as though a lot of ppl on this board aren't used to bandai products... Although alot of products are labeled perfect transformation or "perfect grade" there are always little attachment's and interchangeable parts that come with almost all bandai products...

true, they do make swap-out parts in everything they make.

but most of the time, those are parts that are too small to actually make a "working part" out of.

the problem here is DX's hands are just big enough to make something that doesn't need swapping.

plus the fact that they included a couple of other swappable hands. couldn't they have included a set of "compromise" hands?

something that can hold the weapons and fit into the shield.

sure it won't be pretty or accurate to fighter mode, but the transformation process won't demand you to swap them out.

and a hinge at the base of the gunpod adaptor, attached to the rest of the valk maybe?

it's sort of a bad joke actually, they put all that effort into making the swap-hands because they didn't want to compromise the look of the hands, but they dropped the ball on things like landing gear.

I for one who have been Yamatoed one too many times (call it luck, call it misfortune if you will) I welcome the DX durability aside all the nitpicks many have voiced out. Right now I am really enjoy fiddling with my VF-25F and I have not seen any problems. I do hope that Bandai improves with time and dish out more DX VFs in future.

Edited by TCracker

Is there anybody who has had any QC issues at all?

I think there was one guy who had a VF-25S with straight lasers on the head - but Bandai offered to replace it free of charge with a crooked/bent out of shape laser version - so no problem.

I guess I'm just bumed about the lasers because I have Bandai's SOC Dancouga - and Big Mouth has a pair of "VF-1S lasers mounted on his Wooly-Mammoth mode head and Bandai made them out of bendy material since they are relatively small and...

they aren't bent. They are fairly straight.

Then again, Landliger's tank cannon is made of the same material and seems a bit bent out of shape...

Oh well - have the people who've taken the pictures tried to - I dunno - straighten the lasers before doing so? Or was it just pose/click -done?

Pete

Pics regarding my above post:

p3020054pt6.jpg

p3020055go6.jpg

p3020056kn3.jpg

No doubt the paint has a difficult time biting the glossy surface. For those who care about having a pristine condition toy, I thought this worth mentioning. I am not one who cares, as I treat this DX toy like a rag doll -- its going to get a good deal more "realism" with me fiddling with it. ^_^

Quite durable as Graham said it s made for durability altouth some have report some paint scrash on metal part...

They are some pop up part but nothing serious...

But in fact j must said that u are not has affraided than when u transform a yamato and ur hand are shaking hoping u don t break something

Hope this can help u ^_^

Wow, those colors are chipping away pretty fast. O_O Looks as if there won't be anymore after a few more transformations... As much as I am disappointed with the DX, I'm looking forward to getting my Alto for a more in depth look at this thing, and build my final conclusion. Also, Alto has one massive, MASSIVE gaping mouth there, as if he was doing this: =O

Sorry if this has been asked before, but are the intake covers removable? They look as if they can simply pop in and out.

Pics regarding my above post:

No doubt the paint has a difficult time biting the glossy surface. For those who care about having a pristine condition toy, I thought this worth mentioning. I am not one who cares, as I treat this DX toy like a rag doll -- its going to get a good deal more "realism" with me fiddling with it. ^_^

Woah thats really fast paint wear. How many times have you transformed the toy? Looks like the toy itself may be durable but the paint application may be cheap.

Woah thats really fast paint wear. How many times have you transformed the toy? Looks like the toy itself may be durable but the paint application may be cheap.

I would not call the paint application "cheap." I am a lot less careful with play toys than most collectors. I hesitate to mention Yamato in this thread; however, the plastic used on Yamato's toys is not glossy and has a texture to it -- the paint sticks well and even presents problems for those, like me, who want to remove the paint on occasion.

Again, I bring up the paint for those who are considering purchasing these and being as rough as I am with it.

i'm waiting too... for any of these things to happen:

2) indication that this will be the first and last VF-25 mold that Bandai will do and lock away the Frontier license forever

Even if they are done they still own the license, like M7... nothing new have come out from Bandai on that franchise for a long time but they are the exclusive owner regardless

I wonder if applying a flat coat over the figure would seal in the paint and provide a flat finish for those who do not like the glossy look?

are you thinking nail polish

I add that to my zoids decals and they look nice and tampoed or sometimes I add the clear nail polish to my Transformer toys with the metallic paint apps to protect it from chipping which has worked for many many years

I would not call the paint application "cheap." I am a lot less careful with play toys than most collectors. I hesitate to mention Yamato in this thread; however, the plastic used on Yamato's toys is not glossy and has a texture to it -- the paint sticks well and even presents problems for those, like me, who want to remove the paint on occasion.

Again, I bring up the paint for those who are considering purchasing these and being as rough as I am with it.

Still, its not like you deliberately went over the surface with sandpaper or anything, right? So the paint could still be said to be worn off in normal use after a short while. Oh well, I guess I'll have my own look at it when I receive my -25F, which should be in the next two weeks.

Having the option to swap interchangeable hands isn't the issue. It's that you have to swap them out to transform. There's no option to leave in the hand that can hold the gun pod, and the hands you have to use for fighter mode aren't useful at all for battroid mode.

Is that deal breaker? Probably not for most. Still, the DX toys have a lot of little issues for people to weigh.

I'm going to have to agree with Radd. The need to swap hands to fulfill the basic transformation is not perfect transformation. If you could still transform it with the same hands, it just looks slightly out of scale, I can still see that as being PT, but this isn't the case.

On top of that, the gunpod attachment is just unsightly. Now I'm not even sure if I should get the model kit anymore :( Although its not just Bandai with gunpod issues, I agree... When can they just start putting magnets in the arms to hold the gunpods? >_>

Also.. Wow, that's really fast paint wear. But at least it looks like its got some battle-wear XD

Edited by Cent

Wow, those colors are chipping away pretty fast. O_O Looks as if there won't be anymore after a few more transformations... As much as I am disappointed with the DX, I'm looking forward to getting my Alto for a more in depth look at this thing, and build my final conclusion. Also, Alto has one massive, MASSIVE gaping mouth there, as if he was doing this: =O

Sorry if this has been asked before, but are the intake covers removable? They look as if they can simply pop in and out.

Covers are stuck in there real good. Which I prefer. I dont think I ever saw them open in the series anyways. And if they did, It looks like they opened "venusian blind" style, for better lack of words lol.

But in all honesty, once you have VF-25 on hand, you'd appreciate more. Pictures do it any justice trust me. As for the paint apps.. none so far on mine (had it 5 days already) I probably transformed it to all 3 modes like 15 times already... So far nothing loosening up, no stress marks.. Is it perfect? No.. but nothing is. If this toy was priced less than $100 I bet their wouldn't be so much complaints on it.

As for Alto custom's gaping maw.. it doesnt really bother me as it does follow the anime's design.

That's good to know, holytoledo69 (about the paint rubbing off). I was wondering if anybody had panel-lined their VF-25? Does it dramatically improve the looks as I think it will? Maybe the additional detail of panel lines will help break up the bulky overall look of the toy and make it look better.

p3020054pt6.jpg

Ack. You can notice some of the paint go over the edge here on the left side of his chestplate. =/. That kind of bothers me for display collectibles. Feels like Revoltech paint quality. It looks sharp on the other side though. What happened >_<

You may be able to overlook it due to its lower price tag... But I think I'd gladly pay an extra hundred to have these flaws gone (not just the paint issues).

Edited by Cent

Even if they are done they still own the license, like M7... nothing new have come out from Bandai on that franchise for a long time but they are the exclusive owner regardless

that's what i meant by "locking away the MacF license forever"... meaning Yamato or any other company will never ever get their hands on it even when every Macross fan is dead and gone... ^_^

EDIT - re paint scratching - looks like the white plastic and paint app on SOC Daimos. but i guess if you're going to treat it like your "play toy" as opposed to your "display piece" then these things like paint chipping/scratching, loosening of joints etc. is bound to happen. no worries.

Edited by m0n5t3r

I also reported back in early January that the black paint was rubbing off the LERX of my VF-25S, where the back of the hip rubs against it in battroid mode.

That is some serious paint wear on your VF-25F though.

Graham