Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.3

Graham

Ack. You can notice some of the paint go over the edge here on the left side of his chestplate. =/. That kind of bothers me for display collectibles. Feels like Revoltech paint quality. It looks sharp on the other side though. What happened >_<

You may be able to overlook it due to its lower price tag... But I think I'd gladly pay an extra hundred to have these flaws gone (not just the paint issues).

I blame the glossy finish. And BTW it makes the toy look cheap.

Edited by s001

I don't think I've ever liked gloss on anything. PVC figs, Revoltechs or action figures. Except maybe some of the Evangelion Angels. But they were weird to begin with, and I think the glossy look fit the canon.

Edited by Cent

Fix for ozma antenna.

If anyone has ever worked with wire from a spool the way to get it straight is to cut a long piece with a pair of pliers between both hands. Then you stretch the wire as tight as you can. When you let go the wire is straight as an arrow.

I just tried a much milder version of this on ozma's antenna. I basically just held his head in one hand and pulled gently on the laser with the other. They were pretty mangled and now they are much straighter (not perfect). I of course don't want to push it because I'm afraid of pulling the thing right off.

They are not perfect but they don't look like crossed fingers anymore either. I suppose when I wake up tomorrow they will be bent again.

edit: I don't know why but the photo keeps coming in upside down. It's a bad photo anyway.

post-825-1231728065_thumb.jpg

Edited by AbdnAllHope

Regarding ways to minimise paint wear from handling on high end toys, I usually wash my hands with soap and water before handling my toys to remove any sweat, oil, grease, food etc.

I also tend to hold my toys on unpainted areas, as much as practicable.

So far this seems to work for me.

Of course it doesn't prevent mechanical wear, i.e. where you have parts of the toy rubbing against each other.

Graham

Fix for ozma antenna.

If anyone has ever worked with wire from a spool the way to get it straight is to cut a long piece with a pair of pliers between both hands. Then you stretch the wire as tight as you can. When you let go the wire is straight as an arrow.

I just tried a much milder version of this on ozma's antenna. I basically just held his head in one hand and pulled gently on the laser with the other. They were pretty mangled and now they are much straighter (not perfect). I of course don't want to push it because I'm afraid of pulling the thing right off.

They are not perfect but they don't look like crossed fingers anymore either. I suppose when I wake up tomorrow they will be bent again.

edit: I don't know why but the photo keeps coming in upside down. It's a bad photo anyway.

Yea... But its PVC isnt it? That tends to return to its normal form quite quickly. Unless you were to somehow implant a needle that could hold it straight. it does look much better though.

Yea... But its PVC isnt it? That tends to return to its normal form quite quickly. Unless you were to somehow implant a needle that could hold it straight. it does look much better though.

Is it possible to use 'warm' water to soft them in cretain temparture, without damage the pvc (and hold them straight when them cool back down)?

Bandai most likely locks the franchise rights they aquire so after they are done with it noone can bring out a better version of their own, here's hoping yamato tries to get the frontier movie rights althought this will most likely be sponsored by bandai too...

Is it possible to use 'warm' water to soft them in cretain temparture, without damage the pvc (and hold them straight when them cool back down)

If memory serves heating PVC to 60 degreess C and cooling it in a new shape will hold the new shape. The problem is if you over heat them they will become brittle.

These things are likely to break off with anything but the lightest pressure. I supose if they straight long enough for a decent photo it's not going to get much better without a total replacement.

Bandai most likely locks the franchise rights they aquire so after they are done with it noone can bring out a better version of their own, here's hoping yamato tries to get the frontier movie rights althought this will most likely be sponsored by bandai too...

I won't bet on that other companies could get a hand on the movie license...

I am wishing that Bandai would kind enough to open another line of products for Macross F. 1/55 maybe? So they can stand as tall as the VF-0s and YFs and I can pretend they are of the same scale.

Well, I go to the post office tomorrow to pick up my VF-25s. I'm not all that confident on the glossy look, or the hands, or the short Ozuma neck, or the paint chipping, but I guess we're just at the point where it is what it is, and that's it. I don't foresee Yamato getting these ever, so unless Bandai decides to redo these at a later time, this may be all we're getting. I have yet to put my final judgement on these, but I'll post my thoughts tomorrow.

About the bent antenna; I've successfully bent plastic after heating it up with a hair dryer, then holding the plastic either straight (to straighten) or bent (to bend). Just be careful not to melt your toy. Or you can just leave it the heck alone. :)

Yes... I'm a deck Swabber now!

Edited by D_Unit

Why would they be so selfish to lock the license up just to make sure their version won't be beat (and it WILL be beat)

If they have milked all the money they can from Frontier, then let it go, Yamato are busy now, but will need Frontier sooner or later.

Uhh... Mac 7. 'Nuff said.

My biggest gripe is the upswept wings when looked at from the front. That doesn't appear to be the correct angle, nor is the the angle as shown on the box. In fact, the plastic wings not only point up, they seem bent so that they curve upwards. Can anyone else comment on this, or did I miss any posts about this issue in this topic's 45 pages thus far?

Is there a way to bend the ABS wings so that they are straight? Perhaps with heat?

I'd like to just take a moment and address this whole glossy look thing. I don't have either figure but personally I think shiny gloss look would be really cool.

As for glossy looking unrealistic and nothing like the show, well... lets let the following images decide that.

post-7318-1231780851_thumb.jpg post-7318-1231780823_thumb.jpg

No it's called business. Why do you think Yamato was the only company carrying the 1/60 and 1/72 Macross Plus licenses, as well as 1/60 VF-1 and 1/60 Macross Zero? Why do you think the Mospeada toys by different companies in Japan are all in different scales?

As for glossy looking unrealistic and nothing like the show, well... lets let the following images decide that.

Wouldn't matter for me, I love gloss. Even some of my G.I. Joe vehicles have gloss and I quite like it.

My biggest gripe is the upswept wings when looked at from the front. That doesn't appear to be the correct angle, nor is the the angle as shown on the box. In fact, the plastic wings not only point up, they seem bent so that they curve upwards. Can anyone else comment on this, or did I miss any posts about this issue in this topic's 45 pages thus far?

The model is actually similar.

If that was considered gloss then I'm surprised Bandai hasn't tripled enamel coated their Gundam lineups yet.

And about licenses, although license locking is bad news for the consumer, I'm much happier with Yamato holding MacPlus and Bandai Frontier than vice versa. MacPlus was superior; only the VF-171 stood out in Frontier, and they didn't get much of a spotlight. The pilots were sub par, and the dogfighting was largely lacking. I think I'd be worse off holding Bandai iterations of the YF-21 and 19.

Edited by Cent

I'd like to just take a moment and address this whole glossy look thing. I don't have either figure but personally I think shiny gloss look would be really cool.

post-7318-1231780851_thumb.jpg post-7318-1231780823_thumb.jpg

I just had a thought-- does anybody have both the VF-25 DX and the Yamato 1/72 toys? Is the level of shiny-ness the same? I can accept that it is that shiny-- it may look toylike, but thats fine with me.

Is there a way to bend the ABS wings so that they are straight? Perhaps with heat?

The model kit has the dihedral as well, but the wings are straight and don't bend upwards along the length like the DX in some photos-- is this a feature of the DX? I would have thought that the bend would impede the variable geometry of the wings.

Cent: Well said! We all saw what Bandai did with the VF-19, I shudder to think what would happen if they had the MacPlus license. In fact, we can (sort of) make a direct comparison between the two companies by comparing the YF-19 and the VF-19-- both of them made a crappy first version (1/72 vs 1/65), but Yamato made a far superior second version (1/60) while Bandai has been sitting on the Mac7 license doing nuts about it. Thats the reason why everybody is wondering whether Yamato still has their VF-X2 license (which, it seems, they do, with their GNU-DOU releases) so we can possibly see a properly done, 1/60, VF-19A and (more importantly) VF-11C Protect Armour.

I'm not trying to flame Bandai, they obviously have better things to do with their time (think Gundam, where their model kit release annoucements can actually pre-date the appearance of the mecha in the show, allowing us to infer the amount of manpower they have on Gundam model kits). But, between Yamato and Bandai, in the 1/60 scale, I think many more people here would support Yamato getting the show license than Bandai getting the show license-- at least Yamato makes the effort to go back and try to correct their mistakes and release an improved product.

Edited by edwin3060

I think many more people here would support Yamato getting the show license than Bandai getting the show license-- at least Yamato makes the effort to go back and try to correct their mistakes and release an improved product.

We don't know know if Bandai will or will not improve their products. They did go back and redo the SoC Voltes V chogokin IIRC.

If fans want Yamato to get a exclusive license to Macross property, Yamato has to find a way to put up the funds and create a new anime series for Big West.

Edited by Vifam7

We don't know know if Bandai will or will not improve their products. They did go back and redo the SoC Voltes V chogokin IIRC.

If fans want Yamato to get a exclusive license to Macross property, Yamato has to find a way to put up the funds and create a new anime series for Big West.

Haha VFTF is going to have to convert alot more fans to his theory of buying Yamato VFs before that is going to happen :p

I just hope that Bandai will come up with Perfect Grade 1/60 model kits for Macross Frontier, so I can build an accurate VF-25 model to put beside my other 1/60 Yamato toys. Fat chance of that happening, though.

Haha VFTF is going to have to convert alot more fans to his theory of buying Yamato VFs before that is going to happen :p

I just hope that Bandai will come up with Perfect Grade 1/48 model kits for Macross Frontier, so I can build an accurate VF-25 model to put beside my other 1/60 Yamato toys. Fat chance of that happening, though.

That's better. Lol.

Uhh... Mac 7. 'Nuff said.

It's just sitting there, right in the corner, who makes the decision to just keep it there? They just don't care about Macross.

Don't they need to keep paying BigWest(uhh who else) to keep that license?

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

It's just sitting there, right in the corner, who makes the decision to just keep it there? They just don't care about Macross.

Don't they need to keep paying BigWest(uhh who else) to keep that license?

If they didn't care they wouldn't be paying to keep the license. Maybe they were just waiting for the right moment to strike, and with a movie on the horizon, on the heels of a recently completed series, this year is a great time to flood the market. A company that doesn't care wouldn't be making 2 different toylines, some gashapons, plamo, and possibly more, they could be using their money for something else. Also the DX Macross 7 valks are a far cry from the way the DX 25 turned out, so who knows man what if Bandai decides to make DX 1/60 Macross 7 toys later? Companies are more willing to take risks during a movie year, Bandai is no different. Hasbro does it all the time with Star Wars and Transformers, and will be doing the same with G.I. Joe, and every other company does the exact same thing; take more chances during a movie year and pump out product that otherwise wouldn't even be produced.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

You realize that statement makes absolutely no sense when they put up the money to fund a whole new anime series (Frontier) so they could sell merchandise?

Also, in regards to lack of Macross 7 toys, I believe it's due to the fact that the Valks in that series are unpopular in Japan. Whenever I read the Japanese boards, a lone figure will sometimes bring up a wish for the Fire Valkyrie, only to be quickly put down with comments sounding like : "THE FIRE VALK IS TEH SUCK! IT'S GOT A MOUTH!". Even though Mac7 had a number of sequels, it's popularity (in Japan) seems to have been pushed more by the songs than by cool looking mechs.

That said, I'd personally love to see a toy of the VF-11MAXL made with proportions like the SoC GX-09R Minerva X.

Edited by Vifam7

^^^

I should have said Macross 7, my mistake, just want to see Yamato being able to make use of such license,

instead of locking it and not making use of it, here's hoping they might as Shin has pointed out with the movie coming on...

Shin - Must admit it would be cool if they made Mac 7 stuff, but not re-release their sub par Chunky monkeys.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie