Military (real) Mecha Anime VS Super Robot Anime

AIRMAG

Military (real) Mecha Anime VS Super Robot Anime ?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which Mech Anime type is better?

• Military (real) Mecha Anime
    • Super Robot Anime

Greetings,

Recently, Ive been looking for some good mecha anime to watch but im new to the game and have little knowledge of whats good. So far ive seen all of Macross and Votoms and enjoyed both. I generally do not like the idea of super robots with crazy and bright designs...ala weapons coming out of their butts etc etc :huh: .. I prefer more real looking military style mechs in dark to dull colors.

I havent really given Super Robot Anime a chance and would like to know your opinion on the matter. Is Military (real) Mecha Anime > Super Robot Anime ? or is it the other way around?

Ooh thats a tough question to answer (for me at least) as I seem to watch both types. Macross can easily qualify as both at points (the whole grabbing the gunpod in midair bs and flying through space like flying through the air) and I have never seen votoms so I can't comment on that. I suppose I'll vote towards the more realistic side of robot anime since I like robots that are actually feasable and move like robots should. Oh and if you like the realistic style may I suggest Patlabor. Rant over please continue...

Edited by dizman

I'm generally a real robot fan myself, but there is reason to enjoy super robot shows, especially since many real robot shows use many of the same conventions as their super robot predecessors. There are also some really good shows out there that blur the line between real robot and super robot (like Five Star Stories).

For real robot shows, I can definitely recommend some Gundam or Patlabor if you're looking for more real robot goodness. Specifically, Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket is my favorite Gundam anime of all time and a great 6 episode OVA with solid animation. Patlabor Movie 1 and Movie 2 are slower, more seriously dramatic real robot shows, but first rate stories. Both have excellent characters, great looking mecha and compelling stories.

While not a mecha anime, the Ghost In the Shell Stand Alone Complex series has some mecha in it.

Aside from Macross Frontier, I hear a lot of talk about the shows Gurren Lagann, Code Geass and Gundam 00. I've not seen them yet myself, but they are new shows that are getting attention, so try them out and see what happens.

I'd choose "real robot" as well, but super robot shows can be great fun as well. There's a level of epic greatness achieved in gunbuster and gurren lagann and the like that's just so much fun.

I put gundam in with evangelion... super robot shows with a smattering of realism

All this talk about military mecha, and I'm surprised no one's mentioned Gasaraki.

That's because the mecha in Gasaraki are only interesting for about the first 1/3 of the series, before they fall completely into the background and are replaced by your typical late 1990's anime metaphyiscal bullshit.

I like Super Robot Wars Original Generation, they got both Real type mecha and Super type mecha. :lol: But I prefer real type robot, since most real type mecha tends to be mass produced while super type mecha is a typical enemy mecha of the week. ^_^

I'm more of a real robot genre fan, shows like gundam (at least the ones i've seen) have always shown the mecha as being not "super" or "invincible" and are just like tanks that can be damaged or destroyed. Even though they have some wierd designs they are more believable to me simply because of this fact. Having a robot that is just simply super invincible unstoppable etc just don't apeal to me all that much. The only super robot shows i like are evangelion (are they robots?) and gunbuster so far. Real robot shows i would recommend are Gundam (UC), Votoms, Patlabor. They are my top three favouritres and macross if you can stand the JPop music.

All of the excellent opinions are much appreciated!

Based on everyones suggestions ive compiled a list of mecha anime series i am considering:

1. Blue Gender

2. Eureka Seven

3. Astro Boy 2003

4. Code Geass

5. Full Metal Panic

6. Mobile Suit Gundam (original)

7. Patlabor

Hopefully im headed in the right direction! :)

All of the excellent opinions are much appreciated!

Based on everyones suggestions ive compiled a list of mecha anime series i am considering:

1. Blue Gender

2. Eureka Seven

3. Astro Boy 2003

4. Code Geass

5. Full Metal Panic

6. Mobile Suit Gundam (original)

7. Patlabor

Hopefully im headed in the right direction! :)

That's a pretty good list, although I've not seen the new Astro Boy or Code Geass.

Like pretty much everyone else, I voted for Real Robots, although I really like Super Robots, too.

So, if you want to see one of the greatest Super Robot shows EVER, check out Zambot 3. It's amazing, and, as a bonus, it DOESN'T run for dozens and dozens and dozens of episodes.

But I think my favorite shows are often the ones that combine Real and Super robot conventions, like Evangelion or Ideon.

oooohhhh tough decision!!! recently Super robots have taken me for quite the spin in the past year with gurren laggan, Big O, Gaogaigar and aquarion. While real robots seemed to have died off years back. The only outstanding "real robot" shows that have come out recently being Eureka 7 and full metal panic! and MS IGLOO. Gundam has gone back to its super robot BS invincible wing/X/G stage and code geass did the same thing second season. So as of right now I love super robots more so but there are TONS of real robot shows that were awesome as hell back in the day its a shame to see "real robots" given super robot powers and still claim to be "real robots" like code geass.

I hope we have another real robot renasaince like the 80's had and get rid of the SUPER real robot phase right now. But in the end I love all my giant robots :p

*goes off to play SRW Z and watch the Nirvash destroy some lame Zambot 3 enemies* B))

You could try

Martian Sucessor Nadesico (a bit of both I think)

Gunparade March (realistic)

The first story line of Gunparade Orchestra (realistic)

Sakura Wars for a bit of steam/spirit power mecha (old world realistic)

Skygirls for a bit of loli mecha (not sure how you'd class them)

Full Metal Panic (mostly realistic)

and of course as mentioned Patlabor (definately realistic)

Edited by thegunny

I still have to add another vote for Gasaraki, 1990s metaphysics notwithstanding. And Votoms are pretty cool, too. Basically, anything which can spawn a range of 1/35 scale models is ok in my book! :lol:

Hmm, I guess that half-qualifies Gundam: War in the Pocket, too ...

Edited by Vile

It's a great time to be a Real Robot fan... as Bandai slows down/runs out of obvious retro-70s candidates for 'Soul of Chogokin' toys, they are starting to dip into the well of 80s Real Robot goodness... apart from their eternal Gundamned franchises, of course.

Patlabor has enjoyed a lot of love recently. So has AT Votoms (but slowing down already). Bandai's SPEC series has given us Layzner, Dragonar and L-Gaim... hopefully we'll see more companion pieces.

If you really want to see a classic super robot series, there is always Hades Project: Zeorymer. Basically you have a super robot that dominates all other super robots.

Is there a list of robot animes anywhere? Kinda only interested in the one with English Translations, but then again, how many of the old school super robot ones have been translated...

Maybe we could even note if torrents exist or not (no links, just whether they are out there).

Edited by protostar8

Patlabor is a really underrated anime series, not just because it combines comedy and drama does so with a subtlety and grace you don't typically see in anime, but it's also the most "real robot" real robot anime. Beyond any other mecha anime series I can think of, the labors in Patlabor are simply tools that exist in the background. There are entire episodes and movies where they play a role, if any at all. One of the guys on Colony Drop wrote up a pretty good post about Patlabor, although it doesn't cover everything I think needs to be said about the series, it brings up a lot of points you don't see in most reviews of the series. Here's the link: http://www.colonydrop.com/index.php/2008/0...n-televi?blog=1

On a forum that's devoted to a "real robot" anime which way do YOU think the numbers will skew?

Good point Dangard Ace :) , obviously "real robot" anime looks to be pulling off a landslide but i always considered the Macross series to be more of a mix

between the two genres.

Good point Dangard Ace :) , obviously "real robot" anime looks to be pulling off a landslide but i always considered the Macross series to be more of a mix

between the two genres.

I'll always consider Macross (original) to be one of the more real robots to come out I mean how many times did hikaru get shot down and almost killed. When you look at gundam *nearly all of em* the Gundams are near invincible until plot needs them to get trashed and same goes for most real robot shows.

I'll always consider Macross (original) to be one of the more real robots to come out I mean how many times did hikaru get shot down and almost killed. When you look at gundam *nearly all of em* the Gundams are near invincible until plot needs them to get trashed and same goes for most real robot shows.

Yes right, and fighting the enemy with speakers makes Macross so much more realistic than Gundam...

Edited by lechuck

Yes right, and fighting the enemy with speakers makes Macross so much more realistic than Gundam...

thus why I said the original in my post :p But to help gundam be as realistic as the later macross shows it had psychic dead nekkid flying chicks to help its main characters ^_^

NO giant robot show can be realistic :lol:

When you look at gundam *nearly all of em* the Gundams are near invincible until plot needs them to get trashed and same goes for most real robot shows.

Well, i would say it depends whos piloting the robot, if the pilot is crap then the robot gets trashed or if the enemy pilot is better skilled. If we look at Max he rarely got his valkyrie trashed, except when he helped Hikaru, Misa and Hayao from the Zentradi. In gundam Amuro is a better pilot than Sayla etc..... she got the gundam trashed. I agree that most shows do show the main robot can take a lot of punishment and theres always the cannon fodder robot too.

For me Full Metal Panic a.k.a. FMP was one of the few that I consider to be "Military (real) Mecha Anime." Others were Macross & Gundam (U.C.).

I especially have a special place in my heart for FMP, because of the setting, Cold War-like, IIRC.

I just like whatever show has big robots goin around smashing stuff. I get a kick out of that. It can be cool & deep too, but I think I gravitate more towards the Godzilla style that super robot stuff has in general. I like the military stuff too, but sometimes I think certain shows take themselves too seriously.

I enjoy both equally, but decided to give my vote to the SUper category, just coz i'm a sucker for extravegant weapons

and unbelievable Mecha aerial combat, Macross i believe fits into this category, but still like to think of it bordering on

real life physics, like Zero, and SDF-1/DYRL?, and also Plus. After those series we are getting higher tech!

Loved Gundam 08th, and the only Gundam series i seen after that is Wing, lol, that's Super robots...

g-g Mazinger!!!

• 2 weeks later...