Yamato 1/60 VF-1A/D/J/S v2.0

Dante74

I've just gotta ask--so did you not look at the instructions at all? There's like an entire chapter devoted to the removable fuselage gimmick...

Instructions are for squares!! ^_^

I know that when I plunk down $100+ on a fragile plastic transforming toy, I'd rather bumble through the transformation like a blind virgin on his wedding night.

Otherwise, how could you really complain about Yamato's obviously shoddy QC work?

Vostok 7

Instructions are for squares!! ^_^

I know that when I plunk down $100+ on a fragile plastic transforming toy, I'd rather bumble through the transformation like a blind virgin on his wedding night.

Otherwise, how could you really complain about Yamato's obviously shoddy QC work?

Vostok 7

I'm thinking about suing yamato, I tried to see if my yf-21 could play a DVD and what the FRAK??? It can't even do that!!! all it did was scratch it. I tried with 2 more just to be sure... and waddya know, couldn't play a single one. I think 50 grand should cover my pain and suffering.

There really shouldn't be anything wrong with that pose... it should look somewhat intimidating as it's a straight shot with the legs and arms somewhat flared kinda like cowboy/wild west style.

ff95, I like what you did... although it could now be considered anime magic since to get that head position the nosecone would have to shimmy downward.

looks like a candid shot of cowboy coming out of the crapper or something! lol :lol:

but honestly, the clown hands look funny... making the head look down a bit more should improve the intimidating look... and the A-stance may be a bit too much, like he has something left on his a-h01e from just getting up from the crap-chute. ^_^

Well, I guess that settles it, you guys are all way more interested in the pose than the fact the head looks terrible in that shot so I guess the head isn't such a big issue after all.

that the head looks terrible with the giraffe neck is old news, the terrible pose is new so worthy of fun and ridicule. :p

that the head looks terrible with the giraffe neck is old news, the terrible pose is new so worthy of fun and ridicule. :p

Every now and then, there's a SLLIIIIMMMM SLIM chance that MW members actually don't want to beat a dead horse.

Vostok 7

I haven't had the shoulder problem with my 1/60s (touch wood), so I don't have a good idea on what to look for. Here are som pics, if that helps:

I actually have an exam tmr, so I don't have much time to play with it...

post-10384-1229655857_thumb.jpg

Shoulder pic 1

post-10384-1229655845_thumb.jpg

Shoulder pic 2

post-10384-1229655837_thumb.jpg

Well, I guess that settles it, you guys are all way more interested in the pose than the fact the head looks terrible in that shot so I guess the head isn't such a big issue after all.

The head does look a little too high. When I look head-on at the VF-1A Hikaru, the head doesn't look as bad, for some reason. Maybe because it's slimmer? All the more reason to appreciate the 1/48 VF-1J a little more.

So. Have they addressed the shoulder issue?

Yes - they have decided that it is unacceptable for only one shoulder hinge to break, and therefore instructed the factory workers to please insert the pin upside down into the left shoulder hinge as well and give the QC guy another bottle.

I've just gotta ask--so did you not look at the instructions at all? There's like an entire chapter devoted to the removable fuselage gimmick...

I did look at the instructions - but only to make sure that you pull the foot out the same as on the 1/48, because I initially had trouble getting it out (my Roy is very tight) and wanted to be sure there wasn't a different transformation mechanism to what I was used to (didn't want to apply excess force).

But other than that - no - didn't look at the instructions; certainly not up to where they showed the gimmick.

But just for the record - I do usually look at the instructions for other valks which are not so "standard" as the VF-1 - certainly I always look at them when I have doubts about what to do and would never think of "fumbling" through the transformation unless I was sure of what I was doing.

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

I did look at the instructions - but only to make sure that you pull the foot out the same as on the 1/48, because I initially had trouble getting it out (my Roy is very tight) and wanted to be sure there wasn't a different transformation mechanism to what I was used to (didn't want to apply excess force).

The feet pull out 1 click for battroid mode, and 2 clicks for gerwalk mode.

So. Have they addressed the shoulder issue?

It's hard to tell. There is 1 reported breakage on here for the 1A, the 1J and Hikaru 1S have no reported breakages here yet for the shoulder hinges. I initially thought that maybe the 1J has POM shoulders, but I'm not sure. POM is only listed for FAST pack bundled VF-1s, and the only stand alone one listed with POM is the VF-1J, which I think has POM hands as the hands are super bright, and POM tends to be brighter than ABS. Either the solution that Yamato came up with was to insert the pins correctly, or the shoulder hinges are now made out of POM and the materials listings on their site has not been updated.

I know I am in the minority but I actually don't care that the chest plate doesn't cover the fuselage entirely in robot mode. I transformed my 1/48 for the first time in months and I actually prefer how the 1/60's neck sticks out, compared to the squatted head of the 1/48. I like both toys, like the 1/60 better, but like the longer nosecone and POM shoulder hinges of the 1/48.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

i just got my 1S ! by Crom! it's perfect! ^_^

the shoulder hinges don't look like POM. they're most likely ABS just like the rest of the toy.

it's super tight out of the box. which is a good thing & bad thing

mine had it's arm joints really tight. so i had to loosen the screws a bit. especially the shoulder screws.

i suggest loosening the shoulder screws before you do anything else.

i tweeked mine to somewhere tight enough that it doesn't flop, but at the same time, you can rotate the whole arm without moving the shoulder hinge.

i'm gonna run this thing through a systematic joint-loosening to make sure certain parts aren't stressed unnecessarily.

:)

I've only come across ONE problem with my 1/60's and that's this:

A few weeks ago i was a bit annoyed with the reactive missiles so I was taking them off. When I got to the last one, the ring on the wing that holds the missiles in place snapped off.

Couldn't believe it, I hardly even touched it and it snapped right off! I didn't have any glue in the house, so I had to wait about a week to get enough money and got some super glue and fixed it. Course good thing I got that glue too cause the peg off my missile arm armor on my 1/48 VF-1S Hikaru snapped off outta the blue and had to reglue that!

But yeah, only issue I've come across on the 1/60's was that.

after fiddling with the new 1s for about a day, i discovered something interesting:

the shoulder hinge parts aren't the same plastic as the rest of the valk.

i compared how the plastic looks & feels to the rest of the valk & previous valks with known POM parts.

i'm convinced they're POM or Nylon. the backpack hook, & the ball-joint sockets are also made from the same material.

i'm not sure about the heatshield though.

the comparison test is simple, even when they plastics are textured the same way,

ABS will sorta cling to you when you drag your finger/s on the material.

but the unidentified material on the shoulder hinges feels completely smooth.

Happy Holidays !

after fiddling with the new 1s for about a day, i discovered something interesting:

the shoulder hinge parts aren't the same plastic as the rest of the valk.

i compared how the plastic looks & feels to the rest of the valk & previous valks with known POM parts.

i'm convinced they're POM or Nylon. the backpack hook, & the ball-joint sockets are also made from the same material.

i'm not sure about the heatshield though.

the comparison test is simple, even when they plastics are textured the same way,

ABS will sorta cling to you when you drag your finger/s on the material.

but the unidentified material on the shoulder hinges feels completely smooth.

Happy Holidays !

is that the new Hikaru 1S you're describing?

i can't tell which way the pins are.

they don't want to budge in either direction & i'm afraid to force them out.

:(

all i can say is mine aren't or don't seem to be stressing in the critical areas.

although i loosened the shoulder ball joint sockets as soon as i could. they were amazingly tight out of the box.

So Hikaru 1S is out.

Is the only difference between Hikaru and Roy's 1S heads the color of the "arrows" ? Roy's are yellow and Hikaru's are red?

Pete

The arrows on the head are red on both but the dot is yellow on Roy's and red on Hikaru's.

Huh?

No way - the arrows on the head are Yellow on Roy. The dot on Roy is red...

look: otdjq9.jpg

So I'm thinking the Hikaru 1S also has red arrows like the 1A rather than yellow arrows like the Roy.

I was wondering because I was gonna slap my extra Roy head on Hikaru's 1A but since the Roy 1S head has yellow arrows - that won't work.

Pete

Now then, when that Max VF-1S comes out, who's gonna be playing with it and their Miriya Qua type for a while?

Given how unstable the Miriya Quad type is when posing her, I'm going to keep her away from Max 1S. Don't want her falling on him, and him falling off the shelf or something. I have nightmares about the Quid Rau keeling over and knocking everything down...

Either that, or I'll have to get kinky and just have Max tie her up or something...

Pete