Macross Ace Frontier for the PSP.

Heck i went a bought a PSP, 4 GB Mem Card, A pack of screen protectors and a carry case and car charger set by Score and one game this Friday just in anticipation of the game. Set me back 321 bucks. Guess ill play FF crisis Core while i wait.

Well it is said it will have a lot of different mechs, and we've seen pics with VF-1, 0, 19, 21/22, 25 (most important in my book) and who knows what else (hopefully VF-11 and 17 will also make there way in, maybe even 171).

I'm sure that the 11 and either the 17 or the 171 will appear (more likely the 17, but I'd say good odds on both). Like I said, Artdink was really good about finding obscure Mobile Suits for the Gundam Battle game. They definitely got all the major ones.

And I want to drive a Regult.

I agree, the PS2 game was lacking in terms of replay value (probably due to its score/ranking based arcade nature). However, I think what most people remember is how good the thing played.

There seems to be a consensus that it wasn't just a good Macross game, but a decent video game overall.

Bingo. Ya the PS2 Macross game was shallow but it was fun to play..unlike the VFX/MPGE and Dreamcast games. Well MPGE had its moments but why in the hell would you make a Macross game where you can't transform? Deculture!! :blink:

Wow the YF-19 model looks epic. Well to be fair so do all the others ...except the 25. What's up with that?

The 25 looks just as good as the others to me. Maybe it is personal bias, do you not like the 25 by any chance? Or it could be that is still seems new to you. Everyone has known and loved valk designs such as the VF-1 and the YF-19 for at least 10 years (more than that for both really). The 25 is still new but it is already one of my favorites (from many standpoints). If I was able to play this game ever I can see myself replaying it so many times just to try the different valks but the 25 would be one of the first I'd probably try. Then the 19, the 22, 1, 0 even. Hell I'll use the SV-51 (it always looked weird to me but it is still intriguing).

The 25 looks just as good as the others to me. Maybe it is personal bias, do you not like the 25 by any chance? Or it could be that is still seems new to you. Everyone has known and loved valk designs such as the VF-1 and the YF-19 for at least 10 years (more than that for both really). The 25 is still new but it is already one of my favorites (from many standpoints). If I was able to play this game ever I can see myself replaying it so many times just to try the different valks but the 25 would be one of the first I'd probably try. Then the 19, the 22, 1, 0 even. Hell I'll use the SV-51 (it always looked weird to me but it is still intriguing).

Actually, I think I get his point, the 25 shown in the scans looks blocky compared to the others. However, I beleive that this is more a result of the 25s design than a mistake on the part of the developers.

Edited by d3v

Nah, after having watched Mac Frontier religiously I am a big fan of 25. I think its just the pose that they chose to use for it. I mean don't get me wrong I would definitely use the 25 in this game...a lot. I just feel like the battroid model of it that they have posted doesn't look quite as good as the others.

Edit: After having compared the scans from the game with the CG from the MacF website, it looks like the proportions are all the same, so I guess it really is just the pose. Go figure ^_^

Edited by Raptor One

If this game is half as good as all the Gundam battle games (which I own) I'm going to cream myself. Only bit of concern for me is the implementation of the analog/directional pad and level sizes. I can't see level sizes being the same as they are in the battle series as this would seriously hinder playability but if they do expand them well I'd like to see that carry over to Gundam Battle as well.

If anyone is worried about replay value they shouldn't as I pick up my GB all the time and am satisfied playing anywhere from minutes to hours. The unit tuning and pilot skill levels give you a reason to grind out on lower levels if you're so inclined over and over and at least for me it doesn't get tedious at all. Also using certain techniques the psp can be tricked into playing over the interment so technically you guys could probably set something up for all the MWers.

th_bluepsp.jpg

Edited by bluemax151

Wow, very cool! I'd much rather see a Macross game on a next-gen system, but still, I'll definitely be buying this one!

Sadly, no. But on the bright side, the PSP has no region lock. It'll play japanese games with no hacking necessary.

IS this true? If it is I am going broke on a PSP. I have been holding out on getting one.

Side note - Is the PS3 region sensitive as well?

I forgot, if the PS3 is not region sensitive, how hard would it be to track down the older PS games to purchase?

*going to go broke for another game system* Damn Sony for taking my money!!!!! hehe.

Well sold as far Im concerned.

My PSP mostly has Japanese games anyhow. They are so much cheaper when you are in Japan :)

Well I will just have to make sure I get out to Japan in time for the release, eaither that or my man on the Ground in Tokyo will bag it for me. It so handy haveing someone who works in the Games industry out there :)

For all those of you who dont have one yet have you considered that they may make a Macross themed PSP pack. Sony have done several like the Metal Gear ones or the Poki mon ones etc. If M 25 is popular enough in Japan it could be a given :)

I don't have a PSP but I'm really considering one now just to experience this.

Also using certain techniques the psp can be tricked into playing over the interment so technically you guys could probably set something up for all the MWers.

Now THIS is something I would like to know more about! Does that mean we all could play this game online together? I was a bit disappointed when the press release said that multiplayer would be wireless but not online, however hearing about this "cheat" really brings my hopes up!

Does the PSP have a video out port, so you can hook it up to and play it on a TV?

Graham

Just a note, the video output for games is in a window and not full screen like it does for video files.

I forgot, if the PS3 is not region sensitive, how hard would it be to track down the older PS games to purchase?

*going to go broke for another game system* Damn Sony for taking my money!!!!! hehe.

PS3 do not have region lock for PS3 games ONLY. It still maintain standard region lock on Blu-Ray disc, DVD, PS2 game (if the PS3 can run it), and PS1 game.

The newer Slim models do, yeah. Cable sold separately, of course.

I rejoiced when I read this... but after doing a bit of research, it seems you need to have an HDTV to play games on TV? Well that sucks!! :angry:

Oh, well, I was ALMOST sold, but I think I'll carry on considering this for a while.

I rejoiced when I read this... but after doing a bit of research, it seems you need to have an HDTV to play games on TV? Well that sucks!! :angry:

Oh, well, I was ALMOST sold, but I think I'll carry on considering this for a while.

you're right, the output for games needs to be component

Edited by Gunbuster

Correction, you need a TV with COMPONENT AV-input sockets, which are the orange, blue, green connectors. Apparently these are for Progressive signals and SOME newer standard-definition TVs do have them.

However in my case I'm stuck with COMPOSITE AV-input, the red/yellow/white deal. I lie, the TV itself is MONO, so it's yellow and white only. I don't know why, but in Japan they still make monaural TVs. My TV was manufactured in 2004.

I have a separate 5.1 setup for DVDs, so I'm not all stone-age though.

EDIT -- You beat me, there, Gunbuster. It wasn't you I was "correcting", btw!

Edited by Renato

I'll need to check, but I think there are some composite (red, white and yellow) cables available for the PSP Slim. Although, word on the street is that you can only use them for video and not games.

EDIT: Found some at Play-Asia, first party ones to boot. Unfortunately they can only be used for videos and not games. So much for those of us wanting to output the game on our TVs (and that's reason enough to keep me from replacing my old PSP with a Slim model).

Edited by d3v

Correction, you need a TV with COMPONENT AV-input sockets, which are the orange, blue, green connectors. Apparently these are for Progressive signals and SOME newer standard-definition TVs do have them.

Actually, only SOME component ports are progressive-scan capable(and it got pretty standard a few years before HD took off).

I've got a set with interlaced-only component. It makes me sad.

And component RCA connectors are colored red, green, and blue. Orange is a digital audio output.

But don't be fooled by the color-coding, component is not an RGB output. The "green" signal is luma(or Y), with "red" and "blue" being R-Y and B-Y signals).

It's s-video on crack.

As far as thread relevance... the PSP can only play GAMES on a TV that supports PROGRESSIVE-SCAN component video.

Which is part of why my interlaced-only set makes me sad.

However in my case I'm stuck with COMPOSITE AV-input, the red/yellow/white deal. I lie, the TV itself is MONO, so it's yellow and white only. I don't know why, but in Japan they still make monaural TVs. My TV was manufactured in 2004.
Barbaric!

They still have mono TVs here, too.

Or, they did last time I checked.

Anyways, if you score the audio connections too, than component is red, green, blue, red, and white connectors.

Yes, it can be confusing if you aren't paying attention. :p

Edited by JB0

I don't have a PSP but I'm really considering one now just to experience this.

Now THIS is something I would like to know more about! Does that mean we all could play this game online together? I was a bit disappointed when the press release said that multiplayer would be wireless but not online, however hearing about this "cheat" really brings my hopes up!

Take a look at

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/

or

http://www.xbconnect.com/

Basically tricking the PSP to use ad hoc over the internet.

I could dig a Macross themed PSP but in all likelihood the price and limited availability of most Japanese themed PSPs would make it kind of infeasible. I'm still waiting on getting a new Jap blue or red slim line but I haven't been impressed by the options at the moment. Almost got the Star Ocean PSP but I opted to wait for something nicer.

I could dig a Macross themed PSP but in all likelihood the price and limited availability of most Japanese themed PSPs would make it kind of infeasible.

I'll ask my man on the ground to see if he would export them to MW users. He already does for PS3 rumble controlers and Gamepoints and some games, so maybe he would for Macross PSP if they ever come to be.

woohoo, now my PSP will do something other than gather dust... and the odd battle in jeane d'arc.

I second that. I can count on one hand the number of times I've used my psp, and I've had it for about 2 years. But this looks good, all these birds in one game is gonna be sweeeeeeet...

I'll ask my man on the ground to see if he would export them to MW users. He already does for PS3 rumble controlers and Gamepoints and some games, so maybe he would for Macross PSP if they ever come to be.

That could be cool, Better hope they make one. Shouldn't be a stretch since they've done a Gundam one already.