Macross Ace Frontier for the PSP.

Sold! I'll get a PSP just to try out my VF-X2.

but you can only play within wireless range of your PS3 right? Kinda pointless? Why not just play it on a big TV if you have to stay in your house? Oh I forgot. Toilet play. :rolleyes:

I'd hold off on that. The PS3 is only region-unlocked for PS3 games.

Unless I've missed something big, it still only plays same-region PS1/2 games.

I suppose you COULD import a japanese PS3. But aren't they expensive enough?

That is correct. It will only play japanese PS3 games or blu-ray disc on a US console and vice-a-versa as they are both coded as the same region, region 1. All other games such as the ps1 and PS2 titles still only play on the console from their respective countries without modifications ie you can only play japanese ps1 and ps2 titles on a japanese ps3.

Edited by Sorata

I'd hold off on that. The PS3 is only region-unlocked for PS3 games.

Unless I've missed something big, it still only plays same-region PS1/2 games.

I suppose you COULD import a japanese PS3. But aren't they expensive enough?

The PS3 won't play PS1 games from disk at all as far as I know. I'm responding to someone who said he play his PS1 games ie VF-X2 on the PSP via remote play. Maybe we could get clarification on how he did this.

G Gemini - any special instructions? is your PS3 or PSP modded? Doesn't sound like it. Is it a Singaporean PSP or a North American one?

Anyway I already got the PSP in anticipation for this game hehe, and as an added bonus I found out I can play all Macross games (for the PS) from the PS3 using remote play! VF-X2 in the PSP without hacking firmware or anything!
Edited by DestroidDefender

The PSP will play PS1 games (via remote play) from the same region that your PS3 is from.

-Insert PS1 disc into PS3

-Make sure your PSP is registered for remote play

-Connect PSP to PS3 via remote play

-Play PS1 game on your PSP

-Profit!

The only use it has if if you leave the PS1 game in your PS3, leave your PS3 turned on & connected to a network, take your PSP someplace else that has wifi access, and remotely connect to your PS3..I think!

With all taht said, I I'd gladly pay $20 dollars for a downloadable patch for the PS3 that lets you play import PS1/PS2 games, but still blocks out pirated games.

Edited by Keith

The PS3 won't play PS1 games from disk at all as far as I know.

ALL PS3s will play PS1 games. With a high degree of compatibility.

SOME PS3s will play PS2 games. With a varying degree of compatibility.

I'm responding to someone who said he play his PS1 games ie VF-X2 on the PSP via remote play. Maybe we could get clarification on how he did this.

Remote play is a PS3-PSP interactivity feature. Basically, you can play games on your PS3 through the internet, using your PSP as your controller, screen, and sound.

Obviously, this is extremely limited, since you're missing L2, R2, L3, R3, R-stick, motion-tracking, HD resolution, and remotely decent sound.

BUT... that's not so big a deal for PS1 games(okay, L2 and R2 may be an obstacle).

BUT... that's not so big a deal for PS1 games(okay, L2 and R2 may be an obstacle).

You can remap buttons to the analog nub, but it doesn't always work that well.

In fact, when playing VFX-2 on my PSP I was never able to find a decent control scheme. In was particularly uncontrollable in Gerwalk mode. I gave up after a few levels.

I just wish that the old macross games are released as a best of collection on PSP UMD and PS3 Blu-ray then I don't need to worry about warranties and modifications.

I see the new Battle Gundam game is up for order but has anyone found Macross F Ace for pre-order at a US importer yet?

So I'm misinterpreting GG's comment amount remote play - if he can play VF-X2 on his PSP it's because he can play it on his PS3. Nothing magic about that.

Sorry for clarifying until now...

You can play VF-X2 on a modded PSP.

But what I did was the remote play which is basically playing PS games on the PS3 through wi-fi in the PSP (that sounded complicated but it's not).

but you can only play within wireless range of your PS3 right? Kinda pointless? Why not just play it on a big TV if you have to stay in your house? Oh I forgot. Toilet play. :rolleyes:

Ok, now the details:

I have a Japanese PS3, which plays Japanese PS and PS2 games (Ai Oboeteimasuka, VF-X, VF-X2, Macross for PS2)

My PSP is the US version.

Using the wireless feature of the PS3 you can play PS games on the PSP. Pointless as MilSpex noticed. But you can also connect through the internet and play the games remotely.

The best option is actually to get a modded PSP, then you won't need a PS3 (or even the original PS discs).

ALL PS3s will play PS1 games. With a high degree of compatibility.

Actually I know someone that worked in the North American PS3 localization team for PS3 and in doing so worked on compatibility. Very few games from PS2 were tested and troubleshot to work (mostly just the best selling games) and even less PS1 games were tested. I was told specifically by him that I could expect most PS1 games "to crash on startup". This is of course in reference to the original model that had a PS2 chip on the board not too sure about the newer model that uses an emulator as I don't have one but I'll ask next time I see him. Off the top of my head I know Star Ocean Second Star Story worked in my PS3 but a few of the budget titles I have like lego racers and rock raiders just crashed.

I know my PS3 (80G version) does not mention PS(1) compatibility just PS2 (hence my assumption).

I'm guessing to mod a PSP to play PS2 games w/o using a PS3 server you'd have to install a mod chip that would read PS2 disc images from the Memory Stick chip. Am I right, GG?

I've played VF-X2 on my modded psp as well (an eboot loaded onto the memory stick, not thru remote play). I made it to the VA-3M submarine level, which is the worst level ever. Without proper L2 and R2 buttons it makes it hard to constantly change speed and modes effectively. I can only imagine what a nightmare it would be on the level where you take on all those ghosts hehe.

I know my PS3 (80G version) does not mention PS(1) compatibility just PS2 (hence my assumption).

I'm guessing to mod a PSP to play PS2 games w/o using a PS3 server you'd have to install a mod chip that would read PS2 disc images from the Memory Stick chip. Am I right, GG?

My PSP isn't modded but, when I was looking to buy the PSP here in Singapore, I was offered several times the "modded version".

It's actually not a chip, it's a firmware flash that these guys do somehow (apparently it involves a memory stick and a special battery) and you can read PS1 images (and downloaded PSP images as well) in the PSP. They were offering me one with 35 pre-loaded PSP games in the Memory Stick :o

As far as I know there's no mod for PSP that can read PS2 images :(

And, regarding the remote play from the PS3 to the PSP, it only works with some PS1 games, not PS2 games. Macross-related, it works with all the PS1 games I have (DYRL, VF-X & VF-X2... haven't tried Macross Plus yet).

You are correct that it requires a battery and memory stick to mod. With those two items you can downgrade any official Sony firmware, past, present and future and install a custom firmware on your psp as well as bring back bricked psp's from the dead. However, you will need a psp already running custom firmware or know someone who has one to make the pandora battery and magic memory stick (or just buy a psp that has already been modded).

Aside from being able to play psp iso's and virtually any ps1 game, there is also lots of nifty homebrew you can use on custom firmware that the official Sony firmware cannot run. For instance, I've got a comic book reader, e-book reader and a bunch of emulators on mine (SNES, Genesis, GBA, MSX) as well as PSPtube, which you can search and stream youtube videos as well as save and play .flv video files offline.

Hope I haven't completely gone off topic, but that's a small insight into modded custom firmware psp's ^_^

You can do it without a pandora battery. My friend does it without, using a specially written firmware update/downgrade. Dark Alex is the guy who did a lot of the cracked firmwares to allow you to do it.

All you need is a pc a memory stick and a fully charged battery. a bit of copy and paste and a few mins. i now have the Brick proof firmware on mine so no matter what I do I can recover it.

Usualy in within a couple of days of Sony releaseing the firmware it has been doctored to allow the save features while keeping the new features.

The main bonus is when I travel for work I can take many of my favorite PS1 and PSP games on a couple of2 gig Mem sticks instead of loads of UMDs which can get lost or stolen etc, keeps the weight down too, (more room for booty)

Edited by big F

You are correct that it requires a battery and memory stick to mod. With those two items you can downgrade any official Sony firmware, past, present and future and install a custom firmware on your psp as well as bring back bricked psp's from the dead. However, you will need a psp already running custom firmware or know someone who has one to make the pandora battery and magic memory stick (or just buy a psp that has already been modded).

Aside from being able to play psp iso's and virtually any ps1 game, there is also lots of nifty homebrew you can use on custom firmware that the official Sony firmware cannot run. For instance, I've got a comic book reader, e-book reader and a bunch of emulators on mine (SNES, Genesis, GBA, MSX) as well as PSPtube, which you can search and stream youtube videos as well as save and play .flv video files offline.

Hope I haven't completely gone off topic, but that's a small insight into modded custom firmware psp's ^_^

Wow! Genesis games??! dammit iw ant a modded PSP too. Gunstar Heros, Sonic Classics, Thunder Force 4... ARRAGGHH! Dark Alex where are youuuu??

Why do you need a battery? Can't the PSP's run on AC adapters? I don't know anyways.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Wow! Genesis games??! dammit iw ant a modded PSP too. Gunstar Heros, Sonic Classics, Thunder Force 4... ARRAGGHH! Dark Alex where are youuuu??

Why do you need a battery? Can't the PSP's run on AC adapters? I don't know anyways.

Its part of the firmware update procedure and the PSP will complain even when on mains if the battery is not at least 50% full. Its a Sony thing.

If anyones interested in doing it (really easy) PM me (as Mw is not the place for this) and I will hook you up with the links and detail of how too.

You can do it without a pandora battery. My friend does it without, using a specially written firmware update/downgrade. Dark Alex is the guy who did a lot of the cracked firmwares to allow you to do it.

Wow, no need for pandora anymore? I knew you could make hard modded pandoras, but to do away with it altogether is pretty cool. Guess my info is a bit out of date, seeing as I made my pandora battery and memory stick files 3 months ago ^_^

Its part of the firmware update procedure and the PSP will complain even when on mains if the battery is not at least 50% full. Its a Sony thing.

If anyones interested in doing it (really easy) PM me (as Mw is not the place for this) and I will hook you up with the links and detail of how too.

PM sent! ^_^

BTW, I tried Macross Plus PSX via remote play and it works... but it's VERY slow, maybe because of all the fancy shading in the YF-19 andYF-21.

Sweeet. B))

Let the countdown commence!

Funny how on that site, where they're introducing the different series, Macross Zero is left ignored. :lol:

Good thing they've got the SV-51 actually in the game, though. B))

The official Macross Ace Frontier site is now open.

And we have a release date: October 9th, 2008. Price: 5,040 Y

http://b.bngi-channel.jp/psp_macross/

There's also a demo of the VF-1J's transformation: http://b.bngi-channel.jp/psp_macross/game.html

Well my birthday is the 6th so thatll be a late present to myself, himeyashop.com said they would take orders for it once the date was set so time to mail them again :)