Newbie Questions on Macross

I LOLed! as if your obsession towards Nanase isn't enough to convince everyone of your breasts fixation... :lol:

unfortunately, after the vajra war of 2059, whenever they hear Seikan Hikou, all they have is the memory of that ship fighting... and nothing else...

but if it's Northern Cross they hear, that's a different story! :p:lol:

It's always the boobies for gubaba, and I can't disagree with him. But still, am trying not to overthink it....I was just wondering if the DYRL's Ai Oboete Imasuka is interchangable with the t.v series battle against Baldoza. Plus i think it's weird that everyone loves Minmay and this song she sang, and it's so popular in the Macross universe. And technically, she didn't really sing it, but was sung by a look alike actress(does that mean we didn't really see Minmays breasts, but the actress portraying her?)Now I gave myself a headache. :wacko:

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

Meltran + Speaker Pod Gamma + fun penetration...

I loled.:lol:

The scene at Fleet of the strongest woman always remind me of gigantic blow jobs.. damn me thinking dirty :ph34r:

And Grace is certainly a cylon! With ability to download herself somewhere and looks human, definitely doesn't look like Centurions which is a cyborg

Edited by ntsan

I have some very newbie questions~

1) Has Ranka version of Diamond Crevasse been released in the previous CDs?

2) Is the DVD of Macross Frontier dvd9 or dvd5?

3) Is the Blu-ray of Macross Frontier Full-screen without any black bars

Thanks in advance. :lol:

If you REALLY need an answer, I'd think of "Do You Remember Love" as being like the Titanic theme. It wasn't actually played on the Titanic itself, but that infernal song comes on the radio and all you can think of is that ship sinking and (if you're lucky) Kate Winslet's breasts.

Thus, after 2031, everybody who hears DYRL can only think of that ship fighting and (if they're lucky) Minmay's breasts.

But since Kate Winslet didn't sing the Titanic song which didn't get sung on the Titanic, I think of Celine Dyone instead (she's better looking than Kate Winslet anyways), whereas Minmey DID sing - at least in DYRL, so one can think of her breast, although personally I always been more drawn to her legs...

This question is indeed hard to fathom until we begin to realize that true history is also filtered through the various means of story telling and interpretation... So I think Gubaba is - as usual - on to something.

Pete

1) Not yet as far as I know.

As for 2 and 3, I don't know so I'll let someone else answer. (widescreen FTW!)

I have a question about this thread:

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=28072

I just read Gubaba's translation of the Minmey character and wanted to comment/share my thoughts...

Question: Can we comment on the translations, share our thoughts in the thread - or is it soley for the purpose of presenting translations?

Pete

I have a question about this thread:

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=28072

I just read Gubaba's translation of the Minmey character and wanted to comment/share my thoughts...

Question: Can we comment on the translations, share our thoughts in the thread - or is it soley for the purpose of presenting translations?

Pete

I'm linking each translation entry to the table of contents (i.e. the first four entries in the thread) so that it will be easier for people to find what they want. Since I'm doing that, it's unlikely that people will get confused or lost in the thread, so fire away (as long as it abides by Sketchley's "Rules for Readers").

(Not sure what there is to say, though...nothing in the Minmay sheet seems terribly revelatory...)

(Not sure what there is to say, though...nothing in the Minmay sheet seems terribly revelatory...)

That's why I wanted to post in the Newbi Thread first - because my reaction is not going to be a deep historical analysis...rather - I read the Minmey sheet and thought:

"Aww...poor Janice Merlyn (or whatever her name was)... I wonder if HER singing could have stopped the Zendradi? "Breetai, I would love to dance with you, but you're standing on my dress..[deep diva laughter]" ...

Pete

That's why I wanted to post in the Newbi Thread first - because my reaction is not going to be a deep historical analysis...rather - I read the Minmey sheet and thought:

"Aww...poor Janice Merlyn (or whatever her name was)... I wonder if HER singing could have stopped the Zendradi? "Breetai, I would love to dance with you, but you're standing on my dress..[deep diva laughter]" ...

Pete

Jamis Melin, at least her descendant (Miranda) was fortunate enough to actually win Miss Macross, not that it helped her any.

Jamis Melin, at least her descendant (Miranda) was fortunate enough to actually win Miss Macross, not that it helped her any.

Hey, she got to be in a movie playing a bitchy, uptight shrine maiden...what young actress wouldn't jump at the chance to do that? :p

#2 Probably a DVD-9 since they are very popular in Asia and becoming so in the West.

#3 If you have a standard TV there will be bars, since the show was produced for Hi Def broadcast in Japan (16:1 aspect ratio).

Mac 7 question. I'm on ep 43 of Mac 7 and I just cannot figure out what the hell the attraction is between Basara and Sivil.

I mean, why does he want her so friggin bad? Sure, she's kinda hot and mostly naked but still...

-RF-26

Remember Basara is a music maniac. She at least listens to his song unlike the rest of her Protodevlin brethen.

The posibility he can reach their hearts like Minmay did.

I'm not really sure you can call it listening, she's like, in both excruciating pain and the most intense orgasm of her life.

Basara didn't chase after Gigil like he did Sivil :p

On a related note, why can I not find ONE lousy picture of Gepelnich on the internet (or one without that stupid hat of his)? [Gepelnich is so gay, it's awesome. He's not gay in an annoying way like that megafruit Gabil, though]

THE BEAUTY OF UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

Edited by RF-26AAC

Mac 7 question. I'm on ep 43 of Mac 7 and I just cannot figure out what the hell the attraction is between Basara and Sivil.

I mean, why does he want her so friggin bad? Sure, she's kinda hot and mostly naked but still...

-RF-26

I think it's the opportunity that Sivil presents: she is incapacitated and somewhat of a "captive audience" for him - if he can awaken her, he would probably pull a Max and go introduce her to the Captain:) Maybe not with the intent of marriage but...

On this note - I always found it a bit inauthentic and hypocritical that Max, when Mylene told him what Basara was doing, reacted in typical officer fashion and had the Protodevilin secured rather than saying "gee, I was exactly the same when I was young - I tanlged with your mom in a wooded park and after she tried to kill me, I kissed her and we fell madly in love - This Bassara guy is just like me - wow - he's an ace pilot and he sings love songs to the enemy in the park..."

Or...something like that :)

Pete

I think it's the opportunity that Sivil presents: she is incapacitated and somewhat of a "captive audience" for him - if he can awaken her, he would probably pull a Max and go introduce her to the Captain:) Maybe not with the intent of marriage but...

On this note - I always found it a bit inauthentic and hypocritical that Max, when Mylene told him what Basara was doing, reacted in typical officer fashion and had the Protodevilin secured rather than saying "gee, I was exactly the same when I was young - I tanlged with your mom in a wooded park and after she tried to kill me, I kissed her and we fell madly in love - This Bassara guy is just like me - wow - he's an ace pilot and he sings love songs to the enemy in the park..."

Pete

Ok, that makes more sense now. And yeah, I questioned Max' actions, too. I'm like, You did the same thing with that Meltran you married, dunkopf. -_-''

Wasn't that Barton getting Sivil in the forest? He was listening in to their conversation.

Millia would've punched the bastard if it wasn't for Gamlin punching him.

He was quite Evil in the Mylene Beat manga or so I've heard.

Barton is such an unbelievable douche, the whole point of his character is to make sure the military is as uncooperative as possible, he's such a plot device.

Pete

I never questioned that since the only similarity the situations had was "the alien is in the park." Milia had given up hope and surrendered to him before he decided to marry her, and further this happened after the initial defectors had illustrated that the Zentradi were fundamentally human and capable of wishing to coexist with humanity, and that his squadron commander and captain were in agreement and seeking to have them treated as peaceful defectors. As such, he went right to a superior officer to report his plans and who she was.

Even leaving Barton out entirely, Sivil's discovery in the park came with none of these mitigating circumstances. No one had any reason to believe that she was presently less hostile to the fleet than she had been on her earlier rampages, and further no one had reason to believe that the Protodeviln saw or could see humans as anything other than a food source and source of mind-controlled lackeys. Even knowing Basara kept going and singing to her in secret to try to wake her up didn't indicate he had any idea she wasn't hostile, or that she wouldn't wake up only to immediately drain him and half the city of spiritia: Basara had spent the whole conflict so far singing at enemies who were actively hurting and killing people without remorse, even before it showed any actual effect on the enemy. Basara's idealism regarding the power of song was a known quantity to Max, and he acted in that incident as he had in previous ones: letting Basara do his thing, but not letting it stop him from doing his job as a military commander.

Now, if Sivil had come before him or anyone else to say how she was ready to try to coexist peacefully with humanity and/or marry that ace pilot, I could call Max a hypocrite for imprisoning her anyway. Even if he had more openly joined in Barton's joy of finally having "one of those monsters" to dissect, or had Basara jailed for secretly harboring the enemy, I could have said something. As it is, the circumstances of SW1 that led to Max knowing that he could make peace with Milia simply had not happened in the current conflict, so I can't blame him for considering it to be a different situation.

Can someone explain to me the history behind the "Macross Purist?" Is it still a derogatory label to this day?

Macross Purists hated Mac 7 IIRC because it was so "out there" as opposed to the original series, and they despised Robotech for all that it bastardized (and still do)

If I'm not mistaken Macross Purist is not really derogatory, just like saying "conservative" or "liberal".

A more related question:

Where the hell did Battle 13 show up? is that the Galaxy?

Best,

RF-26

Macross Purists hated Mac 7 IIRC because it was so "out there" as opposed to the original series, and they despised Robotech for all that it bastardized (and still do)

If I'm not mistaken Macross Purist is not really derogatory, just like saying "conservative" or "liberal".

Oh ok, I thought it was something that started with the Robotech fandom.

Thanks

Oh ok, I thought it was something that started with the Robotech fandom.

Thanks

That would be what Robotech fans call Macross fans. Frankly I didn't realize there was a difference until I watched the UNALTERED SDF:M and realized that I'd been fooled all these years and the story was radically altered! I still have a soft spot for some of the aspects of the Macross Saga of robotech (I liked *some* of the voices and the *instrumental* music) but yeah, the Robotech Fandom generally thinks of us as fundamentalists when basically comes down to Robotech and Macross being almost two different shows.

Insofar as "Macross Purist" goes among *this* community, I think my original post answered that question pretty well.

Az: Thanks for the answer about Battle 13.

Ok, that makes more sense now. And yeah, I questioned Max' actions, too. I'm like, You did the same thing with that Meltran you married, dunkopf. -_- ''

His marriage was ALSO falling apart at the time, so that might've interfered with the whole nostalgia angle.

And to be fair, Max's "courtship" was farcical to begin with.

I'm sure more than once he looked back at how they met and laughed at how dumb he was as a kid, even if it DID work out in the end.

Woulda made a great story at parties, though.

"So yeah, you know how we were the first inter-racial couple, right. You ever hear how we met? No? Lemme tell ya... I kicked her lovely ass at a video game. She tried to knife me to death later that knight, and I proposed to her on the spot."

"Honey, you forgot the dogfights!"

What more do you need? i mean, really? :lol:

Haha. C'mon dreamweaver, there are still some suckers......uhh men out there that care for a women's personality(jokes ladies just jokes). Why else would TV shows like Ugly Betty or Sex and the City(which is full of male bashing) appear in the United States.

My advice is to stop over-thinking it. It doesn't make any sense, but go with it anyways. ^_^

If you REALLY need an answer, I'd think of "Do You Remember Love" as being like the Titanic theme. It wasn't actually played on the Titanic itself, but that infernal song comes on the radio and all you can think of is that ship sinking and (if you're lucky) Kate Winslet's breasts.

Thus, after 2031, everybody who hears DYRL can only think of that ship fighting and (if they're lucky) Minmay's breasts.

All just my opinion, of course. However, Macross Chronicle seems to be leaning towards the hard-line SDFM-is-canon position. The timeline has only shown pics from the TV series, and the events portrayed are likewise from the TV show.

I am glad I never thought of Celine Dion's breasts...Back to serious business: in M7, Breetai's orginia Archivist Exedore is in DYRL "mode" (green skin with strange tentacles punching the keyboard instead of red hair and sining "My boyfriend is a pailotoooo!!), same as the Zentran "good guys in Frontier's Galia IV episode...and opening at the first episodes: Bodolza's mother ship is also in DYRL mode. I like to think of it like this: DYRL had cooler and more consistent animation, so Kawamori stuck to that and ditched some if not most of the original TV series' graphic style. Since the story in DYRL was so different from the entire "timeline", then Kawamori chose to excuse himself with "That was a movie within the Macross universe"...and then "the truth is somewhere in between"!

I am glad I never thought of Celine Dion's breasts...Back to serious business: in M7, Breetai's orginia Archivist Exedore is in DYRL "mode" (green skin with strange tentacles punching the keyboard instead of red hair and sining "My boyfriend is a pailotoooo!!), same as the Zentran "good guys in Frontier's Galia IV episode...and opening at the first episodes: Bodolza's mother ship is also in DYRL mode. I like to think of it like this: DYRL had cooler and more consistent animation, so Kawamori stuck to that and ditched some if not most of the original TV series' graphic style. Since the story in DYRL was so different from the entire "timeline", then Kawamori chose to excuse himself with "That was a movie within the Macross universe"...and then "the truth is somewhere in between"!

A few years later: Macross start from the reimagining of the original TV.. DYRL! :lol:

Actually, the "the truth is inbetween" excuse came before the "movie within a movie" excuse, so I'm not sure your idea really works.

Personally, I think it's not worth worrying about...it's all fiction, so does it really matter which one is more "valid"? I mean, if you've seen both SDFM and DYRL, you know everything that allows you to enjoy the sequels. I don't really think its an issue worth worrying about.

That said, Macross Chronicle DEFINITELY falls of the side of SDFM "happening" and DYRL "just" being a movie. So if you really need an answer, there it is. It's unsatisfactory, and raises a lot of unanswered questions, but that's what the magazine says. And the magazine is official and canonical. B))