Newbie Questions on Macross

when did UN-Spacy become N.U.N.S?

Some time during, history of the world part I.

How we doing. Any converts today?

Not a one

Nay Nay Nay

We've flattened their fingers

We've branded their buns

Nothing is working

SEND IN THE N.U.N.S

Macross 7 Question.

What the hell is the deal with this flower girl? I reckon she is some kind of running gag but I don't quite get what her deal is or why she is always trying to hand Basara flowers.

I don't care if you spoil it, I want to know if this is ever resolved.

Macross 7 Question.

What the hell is the deal with this flower girl? I reckon she is some kind of running gag but I don't quite get what her deal is or why she is always trying to hand Basara flowers.

I don't care if you spoil it, I want to know if this is ever resolved.

I well suppose she is the FAN like Bilrer.

Also if you watched Encore you get an idea that she has a crush on Basara as Millia was giving away Mylene to Basara to marry she was upset.

Thing is she got to give him the flowers until the final episode. She finally got the guts to give it.

And how happy she was.

She turns up years later in the Frontier manga more mature in a Sheryl concert.

The greatest mystery is that Flower Girl was a character in Macross Classic drama.

Set in 2010 she bumped into Hikaru on a cancelled Minmay concert.

Is this the same Flower Girl as Macross 7 one? The same seiyuu.

Her mother? Or is M7 Flower Girl a clone?

Edited by RedWolf

I well suppose she is the FAN like Bilrer.

Also if you watched Encore you get an idea that she has a crush on Basara as Millia was giving away Mylene to Basara to marry she was upset.

Thing is she got to give him the flowers until the final episode. She finally got the guts to give it.

And how happy she was.

She turns up years later in the Frontier manga more mature in a Sheryl concert.

The greatest mystery is that Flower Girl was a character in Macross Classic drama.

Set in 2010 she bumped into Hikaru on a cancelled Minmay concert.

Is this the same Flower Girl as Macross 7 one? The same seiyuu.

Her mother? Or is M7 Flower Girl her mom?

She also sings "Totsugeki Loveheart" in Macross 7 Docking Festival...and Melodious Illusion centers around her, and she attempts (and repeatedly fails) to send Basara a message over the internet. She's also on the Macross 7 Trash drama album.

She also sings "Totsugeki Loveheart" in Macross 7 Docking Festival...and Melodious Illusion centers around her, and she attempts (and repeatedly fails) to send Basara a message over the internet. She's also on the Macross 7 Trash drama album.

I'm on E10, but I saw all 4 eps of Dynamite first... I am currently converting all the other episodes into Mp4 format so I can watch them on my television (using my iPod)

I reckoned she had some kind of crush on Basara, but other than that I wasn't too sure what the hell is her significance.

I'm on E10, but I saw all 4 eps of Dynamite first... I am currently converting all the other episodes into Mp4 format so I can watch them on my television (using my iPod)

I reckoned she had some kind of crush on Basara, but other than that I wasn't too sure what the hell is her significance.

She's a running gag (sometimes literally).

The flowers have a certain amount of significance in the last episode, though.

Flower girl drove me crazy.

For some inexplicable reason, I kept wanting some sort of development with her.

She was a recurring character, with more screen time than a lot of named characters, and her entire purpose was to look crushed as Basara blew by without even noticing her.

She was a recurring character, with more screen time than a lot of named characters, and her entire purpose was to look crushed as Basara blew by without even noticing her.

Listen to the drama albums.

Seriously, she simply WILL NOT shut up.

Listen to the drama albums.

Seriously, she simply WILL NOT shut up.

On a different subject, what the hell is this reference to 'moe'? I don't really get it.

Does it mean pretty or something? I asked my JDM G/F and she has no idea. Is that purely an otaku thing cos she says neither she nor any of her friends used it nor was it on TV.

Edited by RF-26AAC

Well at least she managed to give her Flowers.

Bilrer the poor old softy is still looking for Minmay.

I don't think he walk too. I believe he's crippled.

Imagine the beginning of a new society and Bilrer stuck in a wheel chair.

Bilrer can no longer be a soldier also. What is life there?

Then comes in Minmay inspiring him to do his best. This lead to the start of his transport empire.

Megaroad 1 comes missing Bilrer besides his dream of connecting the galaxy hopes to find Minmay so the people wont forget her.

simply put... thrust to weight is just a ratio of an aircrafts thrust (or force output of it's engines) and its weight. the force being exerted by the engines pushes the aircraft forward, while the weight has a bearing on the plane's inertia. if a plane has very powerful engines that can overcome it's weight, then it can go faster than a plane with same weight but lesser thrust. likewise, if a plane is lighter in weight, it can go faster than a plane with a same engine but heavier weight. usually it's a balance between these two though. so, the higher the thrust to weight ratio, the faster and nimbler an aircraft is, since you just divide the thrust by the weight to get the thrust-to-weight ratio :D i hope that made some sense :p

Edited by valkyriepilot

On a different subject, what the hell is this reference to 'moe'? I don't really get it.

Does it mean pretty or something? I asked my JDM G/F and she has no idea. Is that purely an otaku thing cos she says neither she nor any of her friends used it nor was it on TV.

"Moe" describes female characters who are very endearing.

FV

as a newbie i really dont understand thrust to weight ratios and how speeds are worked out. can someone give me an idiot's guide explanation to what they mean and how to do the maths?

I'll help. For velocities, if one variable fighter can fly at Mach 3 while another can fly at Mach 5, the second variable fighter is obviously faster. The definition of Mach is included in the Macropedia section of my website:

Mach

The ratio of the speed of an aircraft relative to the speed of sound in the liquid medium (atmosphere) through which the aircraft is flying. These speeds relative to the medium are represented by the term "Mach", in honor of the late 19th century physicist named Ernst Mach. The speed of sound varies based on altitude and temperature, but roughly 330 m/s or 1,100 f/s is considered Mach 1 on Earth (Mach speeds will vary from planet to planet). Subsonic flight is below Mach 1, transonic flight is nearly equal to Mach 1, supersonic flight is beyond Mach 1 and hypersonic flight is Mach 5 or faster.

Thrust-to-weight ratio is simply a number value comparing total thrust of the valkyrie to the weight of the valkyrie. It is used as a figure of merit to determine aircraft performance. The higher the thrust-to-weight number, the faster a variable fighter can accelerate. Weight and thrust for each Valkyrie can be read as is, though most Macross statistics for the last 25 years featured Valkyrie thrust ratings in kilograms of thrust (kg) while recently the anime productions Macross Zero and Macross Frontier have switched to kilo-newtons (kN). All units are in the metric system (royale with cheese!) :)

Here are the Thrust-To-Weight ratios for the Macross Valkyries:

VF-0A (empty) = 1.87

SV-51 (empty) = 2.34

VF-1A Valkyrie (empty) = 3.47

VF-1A Valkyrie (Standard T-O Mass) = 2.49

VF-1A Valkyrie (Max T-O Mass) = 1.24

VF-1S Super Valkyrie (Standard T-O Mass) = 6.36

VF-1S Super Valkyrie (Max T-O Mass) = 3.97

VT-1C Commercial Valkyrie (empty) = 2.91

VF-1X Plus Valkyrie (empty) = 4.33

VF-1X Plus Valkyrie (Standard T-O Mass) = 3.14

VF-4 Lightning III (empty) = 2.01

VF-4G Lightning III (empty) = 2.37

VA-3 Invader (empty) = 3.43

VF-5000B Star Mirage (empty) = 3.01

VF-11B Thunderbolt (empty) = 6.33

YF-19 (empty) = 15.43 (atmosphere limitation = 9.26)

YF-21 (empty) = 13.65 (atmosphere limitation = 8.19)

VF-11C Thunderbolt (empty) = 6.33

VF-17D Nightmare (empty) = 9.28

VF-17S Nightmare (empty) = 10.04

VF-19A Excalibur (empty) = 12.91

VF-19F Excalibur (empty) = 16.96

VF-19S Excalibur (empty) = 18.32

VF-22 Sturmvogel II (empty) = 13.61 (atmosphere limitation = 8.17)

VF-22S Sturmvogel II (empty) = 13.96 (atmosphere limitation = 8.38 )

VF-11MAXL Thunderbolt Custom (empty) = 10.51

VF-17T Nightmare Custom (empty) = 9.75

VF-19 Excalibur Custom (empty) = 13.45

VF-25F Messiah (empty) = 39.09

VF-27 (empty) = 46.48

Fz-109A Elgerzorene (empty) = 8.4

Fz-109F Elgerzorene (empty) = 8.33

Az-130A Panzerzorene (empty) = 7.10

FBz-99G Saubergeran (empty) = 9.29

Thrust Ratings in kg

VF-25 Messiah

165,138 kg x 2

Total thrust = 330,276 kg

VF-27

140,367 kg x 4

Total thrust = 561,468 kg

I hope that helps make more sense.

simply put... thrust to weight is just a ratio of an aircrafts thrust (or force output of it's engines) and its weight. the force being exerted by the engines pushes the aircraft forward, while the weight has a bearing on the plane's inertia. if a plane has very powerful engines that can overcome it's weight, then it can go faster than a plane with same weight but lesser thrust. likewise, if a plane is lighter in weight, it can go faster than a plane with a same engine but heavier weight. usually it's a balance between these two though. so, the higher the thrust to weight ratio, the faster and nimbler an aircraft is, since you just divide the thrust by the weight to get the thrust-to-weight ratio :D i hope that made some sense :p

ummm... not quite so simple. it isnt so much an issue of going faster in terms of top speed, but accelerating more rapidly to a given speed. the proper determinant of a craft's top speed is the exhaust velocity of its' engines - best expressed by the term known as specific impulse or Isp. Isp is best used to determine how much reaction mass is necessary to accelerate a vehicle to a given velocity (with higher Isp values being better).

How wide is the uraga carriers and the northampton frigates compared to the NMCs? I been using the length numbers from MrMarch's site to make them into 3d models for HW2 and when they appear, the Uragas and the Northampton always seem too wide compared to the ones seen in Macross Frontier.

ummm... not quite so simple. it isnt so much an issue of going faster in terms of top speed, but accelerating more rapidly to a given speed. the proper determinant of a craft's top speed is the exhaust velocity of its' engines - best expressed by the term known as specific impulse or Isp. Isp is best used to determine how much reaction mass is necessary to accelerate a vehicle to a given velocity (with higher Isp values being better).

To add to that... top speed is only a useful statistic in an atmosphere.

In space, the stat we're looking for is max velocity change, or delta-v, which... isn't available, or even calculable with the available information.

Among other things, we'd need to know the actual amount of reaction mass carried to be able to figure out how much a given Valk can alter it's velocity.

I think there's enough information available to calculate the delta-V of the VF-1 FAST pack "backpack"(we know the max amount of thrust, and how long it can be sustained, as well as the takeoff mass of the VF+FAST packs), but we don't have a way to figure out the delta-v of the base VF-1 or the FAST pack system as a whole.

Probably by design, since it avoids anyone being able to point to a scene and say "They can't do that!"

You know, like people counting the seconds on a time-bomb in a movie theater.

Mac 7 Q again, is Veffitas/Veffidas ever explained? Like, does she have a backstory? She just seems to be like a bit of the background and seldom says anything....

Episode 12 Macross 7 Plus has a brief sequence about Veffidas. Veffidas is shown living a warriors life, facing many opponents and never suffering defeat. But she is alone and isolated. Her motives for becoming a musician are unknown.

As a character, Veffidas remains the definition of flat. Her sole purpose in the show (beyond the need for a band drummer) is to remain doggedly silent until the opportune moment arises when she can dispense some fortune cookie wisdom. I guess the rarity with which she asserts her verbal opinion is meant to lend a certain gravitas to what she has to say. Silent Bob indeed :)

Edited by Mr March

Mac 7 Q again, is Veffitas/Veffidas ever explained? Like, does she have a backstory? She just seems to be like a bit of the background and seldom says anything....

One of the Macross 7 P*L*U*S episodes is about her, and shows some of her history. Likewise, Macross 7 Encore contains a little bit more, but you still don't get a whole lot of information.

And I believe that, including Macross 7 Encore, she only speaks twice in the entire series. Maybe three times, but I don't think so.

EDIT: D'oh! Ninja'd by Mr. March...

Edited by Gubaba

Well she does have her own Macross 7 Plus snippet.

She was a Martial Artist that took on opponent after opponent.

She's a Meltran from a planet that is recently cultured.

Apparently she had a Martial Artist Zentran that was in love with her but she can't just accept him as lover until he beats her. Yup in the tradition of Millia. Only she is a better close range fighter than Millia was.

When she defeated lover boy. She hears Basara singing with his guitar. Presumably singing to move a mountain.

Later she decides to miclonize eventually meeting Ray and Basara again forming Fire Bomber in Macross 7.

She was a Martial Artist that took on opponent after opponent.

Apparently she had a Martial Artist Zentran that was in love with her but she can't just accept him as lover until he beats her. Yup in the tradition of Millia. Only she is a better close range fighter than Millia was.

You could have said she was a street fighter/brawler and got the same meaning.

I can't give you a pictoral highlight of the SDF-1 Macross right now because I'm at work, but I'll attempt to describe them for you. I should probably make a black and white comparison picture with red highlights, since I think this is a question many of us have asked.

First off, I'm not certain if I'm right, but I beleive the 8 x OverTechnology guided converging beam cannons are all those turrets with the LONGER BARRELS. The shorter barrel turrets are other anti-ship turrets. So, looking at this picture...

macross-cruiser.gif

...and going from front to rear (left to right)...

- 1 x cannon peeking out from undeneath the center ventral section

- 2 x cannons (one per side) mounted on the port and starboard side of the main guns (the bigger white turret, not the small blue one)

- 2 x cannons (one per side) mounted on the port and starboard dorsal portion of the main guns (you should now be looking at the mid-point of the ship)

- 1 x cannon mounted on the center dorsal hull, right in front of the bridge (remember, its the one with the long barrels, not short barrels)

- 2 x cannons (one per engine) mounted on the dorsal rear engines (which become the back of the legs in Attack mode)

So that gives us 8 turrets exactly. I believe the short barrel turrets equal 14 in total.

EDIT

Here's a highlight picture:

macross-highlight-cruiser.gif

Edited by Mr March

Okay I'm kinda slow on the uptake, so can someone piont me to the direction/tell me why Macross Galaxy turned on NUN and why the battle whatever (can't remember its name. Was it 13?) from VFX2 turned rouge to?

Okay I'm kinda slow on the uptake, so can someone piont me to the direction/tell me why Macross Galaxy turned on NUN and why the battle whatever (can't remember its name. Was it 13?) from VFX2 turned rouge to?

Can't answer the first part yet, as I haven't finish watching the finale (where are you, Lunar?), but I can answer the second part: Battle 13 didn't turn rogue, it was stolen by a terrorist group called Vindirance.