Newbie Questions on Macross

Think of everything they eat as beans. :lol:

Honestly, they've never address the issue.

I was thinking more along the lines of their insectiod wings acting like advanced solar sails in space.

Edit: But bean like propulsion.....just dont fire a reaction warhead at the vapor trail :)

Edited by LordDremen

I was thinking more along the lines of their insectiod wings acting like advanced solar sails in space.

Edit: But bean like propulsion.....just dont fire a reaction warhead at the vapor trail :)

The wings are only deployed sometimes; they must somehow internally generate thrust and the tail has a lot to do with it.

I had a newbie question,

WHO THE HELL are the Zolans and when did they come into the picture??

Zolans appeared in Dynamite 7. They weren't really given an introduction in the animation, but we know they're another human/zentradi-like race created by the protoculture. Except, they're derived from marsupials instead of monkeys. In Dynamite 7 they're often depicted with two-tone hair, and fur on their forearms. However, unless I'm mistaken it was revealed in one of the early magazine articles that Mikhail in Frontier is a Zolan.

and fur on their forearms.

Only on guys. Girls are pretty normal with the two colored hair and longer pointier ears.

Oh yes the Basara effect on Zolan females are almost like that on Meltrans.

In Dynamite 7 it was a Zolan female cop, Galaxy Patrol, that took Gamlin's old role of "WTF are you doing here?" "Its dangerous!" while Basara is violating a dozen Zola navigation laws singing to Space Whales. Fortunately the little sister Elma isn't like Mao with "I like an older pilot" just a regular fangirl that wants to be like her idol and mom. She asks to be Basara's student. Then again she may be more sensible than Mao waiting till she grows up. Elma did ask if Basara was married. :unsure:

The thing is in Macross Dynamite 7 the galaxy is shown not as criminalless as we thought it is.

There are still pirates, poachers, and black market arms dealers out there that are selling reaction warheads for a hefty price.

Another thing about Dynamite 7 is Grand Theft Valkyrie. Basara steals Zola Galaxy Patrol's only VF-19. Basara tells Laiza to call Ray for the rent payment. ^_^

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember some weird macross movie where Global dies, but pushes Misa into a closet or something so she survives some kind of major impact.

This wasn't the TV series or DYRL, but maybe it was COTB? I rented a bunch of Macross stuff from blockbuster back in the day but have no recollection of it.

Could someone clarify for me just wtf I am remembering?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember some weird macross movie where Global dies, but pushes Misa into a closet or something so she survives some kind of major impact.

This wasn't the TV series or DYRL, but maybe it was COTB? I rented a bunch of Macross stuff from blockbuster back in the day but have no recollection of it.

Could someone clarify for me just wtf I am remembering?

*snicker*

You're remembering the ending of the Macross portion of Robotech.

And you must have strong visualization skills, because they never actually showed that...it was all covered in the dialogue.

*snicker*

And you must have strong visualization skills, because they never actually showed that...it was all covered in the dialogue.

Or he had a nightmare as a kid, who wouldn't?? stage fright flashing...  :lol:

Glad i never watched robocrap!!! (ok... i watched someepisodes :unsure: )

*snicker*

as Cypher would say: Jee-zus. What a mind-job. :wacko:

and what a flimsy explanation of a dialogue it was, for the death of the entire bridge crew!

Misa/Lisa: oh at the last minute they placed me in the last safety capsule, and i'm the only one who survived.

Hikaru/Rick: oh, that's sad. hey wait here's Minmay.

-- Hikaru/Misa/Minmei dialogue about anything under the sun other than the fact that the whole bridge crew is dead. Then Minmay leaves --

Misa/Lisa: Oh well, there she goes, your ex-girlfriend. let me just hold on to you tighter.

Hikaru/Rick: Sure. Oh, wait what were we talking about before Minmay came?

Misa/Lisa: .... hmm... I don't remember. it'll come back to me if it's important, i guess... .

Edited by dreamweaver13

as Cypher would say: Jee-zus. What a mind-job. :wacko:

and what a flimsy explanation of a dialogue it was, for the death of the entire bridge crew!

Misa/Lisa: oh at the last minute they placed me in the last safety capsule, and i'm the only one who survived.

Hikaru/Rick: oh, that's sad. hey wait here's Minmay.

-- Hikaru/Misa/Minmei dialogue about anything under the sun other than the fact that the whole bridge crew is dead. Then Minmay leaves --

Misa/Lisa: Oh well, there she goes, your ex-girlfriend. let me just hold on to you tighter.

Hikaru/Rick: Sure. Oh, wait what were we talking about before Minmay came?

Misa/Lisa: .... hmm... I don't remember. it'll come back to me if it's important, i guess... .

I just watched that scene on youtube and I can't stop laughing. It was pathetic and ridiculous at best. No wonder why people saying "Robocrap" are so right especially with that kind of nonsense hilarious conservions. Never watched Robotech but I guess the whole series is fill with that kind of nonsense crap conversions like that one. lol Robotech. :)

I just watched that scene on youtube and I can't stop laughing. It was pathetic and ridiculous at best. No wonder why people saying "Robocrap" are so right especially with that kind of nonsense hilarious conservions. Never watched Robotech but I guess the whole series is fill with that kind of nonsense crap conversions like that one. lol Robotech. :)

I'm pretty sure that it was animated at some point because I remember *seeing* it o_O

That's odd, because I've only seen the RT ending of "the macross saga" once

If I recall correctly, according to Robotech, Rick and Lisa were then the highest ranking RDF officers left. With Rick clearly superseding Lisa because he's the man in the relationship, which is why afterwards everyone is waiting for Admiral Hunter, who heads the mission to confront the Robotech Masters, to return to Earth. Lisa gets to be captain of the ship, though.

If I recall correctly, according to Robotech, Rick and Lisa were then the highest ranking RDF officers left. With Rick clearly superseding Lisa because he's the man in the relationship, which is why afterwards everyone is waiting for Admiral Hunter, who heads the mission to confront the Robotech Masters, to return to Earth. Lisa gets to be captain of the ship, though.

fork that noise.

So hey, I want to watch Mac7 but where should I start?

Best,

RF-26

fork that noise.

So hey, I want to watch Mac7 but where should I start?

Best,

RF-26

I suggest episode 1, that is where I started. I am only up to 24 now (see sig for continuing count), but I'm planning on just watching the whole 49 episodes first, then Encore, movie, and Dynamite.

hmm....I believe the order to watch macross should be

1. SDFM (TV series)

2. Macross DYRL

3. Macross Flashback 2012

4. Macross Plus OVA and Movie

5. Macross 7 (TV series)

5a. Macross 7 Encore

5b. Macross 7 Dynamite

5c. Macross 7 The Galaxy is calling me

6. take 5 bottles of tequila and forget about Macross 7

7. Macross Zero

7a. get high on pot so you can understand the finale of Zero

8. Macross Frontier

9. Spend all your money on Yamato toys

10. Come to MW and bitch about QC issues

11. Giggle like a little girl about Yamato finally making the valk you've waited for so long despite being ultra piss of your floppy valk in your shelf

12. Harass Graham about posting prototype or teaser pics

EDIT: fixed 4

Edited by Valkyrie addict

Or he had a nightmare as a kid, who wouldn't?? stage fright flashing...  :lol:

Glad i never watched robocrap!!! (ok... i watched someepisodes :unsure: )

i didn't watch many robocrap eps too. and i watched SDFM TV before DYRL.

so did u watch TV series first or DYRL first? and are u a Minmay-hater (or dislike Minmay)?

I suggest episode 1, that is where I started. I am only up to 24 now (see sig for continuing count), but I'm planning on just watching the whole 49 episodes first, then Encore, movie, and Dynamite.

ah, so your next ep for M7 will start getting interesting ;)

hmm....I believe the order to watch macross should be

1. SDFM (TV series)

2. Macross DYRL

3. Macross Flashback 2012

4. Macross OVA and Movie

5. Macross 7 (TV series)

5a. Macross 7 Encore

5b. Macross 7 Dynamite

5c. Macross 7 The Galaxy is calling me

7. Macross Zero

7a. get high on pot so you can understand the finale of Zero

8. Macross Frontier

9. Spend all your money on Yamato toys

10. Come to MW and bitch about QC issues

11. Giggle like a little girl about Yamato finally making the valk you've waited for so long despite being ultra piss of your floppy valk in your shelf

12. Harass Graham about posting prototype or teaser pics

Galaxy is Calling me comes before Dynamite. Dynamite is in 2047, GiCM takes place during the show run which was 2045-2046. I'd just want the show, Encore, Movie, and then Dynamite.

I understood the finale of Zero... I understand that it is highly open ended, so it can mean almost anything, but I can understand that.

Wait a minute. ADMIRAL (being the highest rank in the Navy) Hunter is aboard the SDF-3 and he let a lower officer (CAPTAIN Hayes) takes command of the ship !?!?!? lol, nonsense #2. :)

Edited by Macross007

i didn't watch many robocrap eps too. and i watched SDFM TV before DYRL.

so did u watch TV series first or DYRL first? and are u a Minmay-hater (or dislike Minmay)?

ah, so your next ep for M7 will start getting interesting ;)

Ok, I will start with ep 1 vs the movies for Mac 7.

I watched the TV-series.

I *never* liked Minmay but I especially disliked her in SDFM, I didn't hate her so much in DYRL. Mainly because she wasn't out there solely to make it impossible for Hikaru and Misa to hook up. They were always my favorite pairing anyways. Hence my av. <3 <3 <3

Here's the order in which I saw stuff:

RT (episodes 1-3 and then the next 2 episodes after Pineapple Salad where Kakizaki dies)

Robotech II

Macross II

Macross DYRL

Macross F

Macross Plus

Macross SDFM

so now

Wait a minute. ADMIRAL (being the highest rank in the Navy) Hunter is aboard the SDF-3 and he let a lower officer (CAPTAIN Hayes) takes command of the ship !?!?!? lol, nonsense #2. :)

I believe her last known rank is Major: http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Misa_Ichijyo

Also, Captain of a ship rarely means that the persons rank is Captain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_(nautical)

In the Sentinels book 1 Rick is a general while Lisa is an admiral.

They are not the top dogs since they are still required to defer to politicians and other military commanders.

SDF-3 missed the Robotech masters by 10 years, they are headed for Earth, and find the Invid killing Tirol's population.

Frankly it would have been a better mix of shows if HG left out Moespeda and included Orguss. (Yes the entire Super Dimension Franchise so Big West and Studio Nue would have them by the balls. )

Orguss as a prequel as reference to the Unification War at the beginning. Pilot gets flung to alternate dimension due to Super Dimension bomb.

Macross, Earth gets wiped out. Humans set out to colonize.

Southern Cross, the colony of Glorie is under seige by the Zor.

With Robotech you get one enemy after another wanting to wipe you out.

Zentradi, Robotech Masters, Invid, Hadonites.

What a unlucky bunch of people.

The problem with HG is that they do not have any respect to those whom they got the original material from.

Look at Hasbro and TakaraTomy (formerly just Takara before merger) they have a healthy relationship with each other.

Ok, I will start with ep 1 vs the movies for Mac 7.

I watched the TV-series.

I *never* liked Minmay but I especially disliked her in SDFM, I didn't hate her so much in DYRL. Mainly because she wasn't out there solely to make it impossible for Hikaru and Misa to hook up. They were always my favorite pairing anyways. Hence my av. <3 <3 <3

Here's the order in which I saw stuff:

RT (episodes 1-3 and then the next 2 episodes after Pineapple Salad where Kakizaki dies)

Robotech II

Macross II

Macross DYRL

Macross F

Macross Plus

Macross SDFM

so now

ok since you've been contaminated with alot of RT, the question was not meant for you.

The question is intended for people who watched SDFM TV first without DYRL or RT contamination. :p

Edited by Shun

The question is intended for people who watched SDFM TV first without DYRL or RT contamination. :p

Guilty as charged! Never seen a single RT episode... uhm what was the question again? :unsure:

If I hate Minmay? No quite the opposite. Don't really see why anyone would.

Also content with how that triangle played out. (Though Hikaru kinda turned into a dolt for two years after episode 27)

Hey, I started out with the Robotech taint. All was changed two years later when I saw DYRL, followed by the TV series in its original form. However, I did learn about the differences before seeing the TV series and knew what the correct story was.

ok since you've been contaminated with alot of RT, the question was not meant for you.

Heh. Have to admit, I started with Robotech as a kid in the 80's, and hated "Minmei". Still, after then getting into DYRL and then SDF:M, I find I don't dislike Minmay at all anymore. Especially in DYRL she comes off as a much more likable character. I thought the whole love triangle aspect was much better done in the movie than in the tv series. I suspect at least part of that is due to how it was stretched out for the tv series when they added episodes.

I'm also curious as to the opinion of people who weren't exposed to Robotech (where I believe I read that Macek intentionally made "Minmei" as unlikeable a character as possible because he didn't like her or her place in the series).

Edited by Radd

Heh. Have to admit, I started with Robotech as a kid in the 80's, and hated "Minmei". Still, after then getting into DYRL and then SDF:M, I find I don't dislike Minmay at all anymore. Especially in DYRL she comes off as a much more likable character. I thought the whole love triangle aspect was much better done in the movie than in the tv series. I suspect at least part of that is due to how it was stretched out for the tv series when they added episodes.

I'm also curious as to the opinion of people who weren't exposed to Robotech (where I believe I read that Macek intentionally made "Minmei" as unlikeable a character as possible because he didn't like her or her place in the series).

Just reinforces the fact that the man had no taste!

The show he did was a trashed version of the original with lame a$$ dialogue and surprisingly, the SC movie done recently was WORSE for dialogue than Macek's hack job!

Sometimes Westerners really shouldn't try to adapt anime, especially if they don't have a clue about the cultural context of the original show...

Edited by Zinjo

I believe that should be reworded to "take 5 bottles of tequila while singing karaoke to AWESOME Fire Bomber songs"

BOMBAAA!!!

Edited by d3v

Just reinforces the fact that the man had no taste!

The show he did was a trashed version of the original with lame a$$ dialogue and surprisingly, the SC movie done recently was WORSE for dialogue than Macek's hack job!

Sometimes Westerners really shouldn't try to adapt anime, especially if they don't have a clue about the cultural context of the original show...

"Sometimes" !?!?!? I guess you meant ALL THE TIME.

The original SDF-2 would have been able to transform just like the SDF-1, but it was remodeled into the Megaroad-01 for the Large Scale Colonization project.