Newbie Questions on Macross

I still really think people are being far too literal about Bilrer wanting to "meet Minmay", and jumping to odd conclusions because of it.

No it's his buy in to Grace's master plan. His personal motivations are unclear and are best left that way IMO...

Which Macross album has this version of "Tenshi no Enogu" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSDIx8pMtCk ?

The title of the video says 2002 ver so i tried downloading the 2002 collection on http://www.macrosshare.com/search/label/Soundtracks but it didnt have the song.

Can someone tell me which album on that site has the song? thanks

For that one, you'll want "Mari Iijima Sings Lynn Minmay."

Quite a nice little album.

thanks, why is it called Mari Iijima Sings Lynn Minmay? didnt mari iijima sing the original tennshi no enogu?

Not only did she sing it originally, she wrote it, too!

But they needed a title that would telegraph to people that the versions of the songs are new, plus there was already a "Mylene Jenius Sings Lynn Minmay" album, so it fits in with previous Macross releases (which is appropriate for a 20th Anniversary album)...much like the way"Fukuyama Fire!!!" fits in with Fire Bomber album titling conventions, but also makes it clear that the songs will be new re-interpreations, rather than just the same old tracks.

(And by the way, if you haven't heard that one, I highly recommend it, too. Even if you don't like Fire Bomber.)

Not only did she sing it originally, she wrote it, too!

But they needed a title that would telegraph to people that the versions of the songs are new, plus there was already a "Mylene Jenius Sings Lynn Minmay" album, so it fits in with previous Macross releases (which is appropriate for a 20th Anniversary album)...much like the way"Fukuyama Fire!!!" fits in with Fire Bomber album titling conventions, but also makes it clear that the songs will be new re-interpreations, rather than just the same old tracks.

(And by the way, if you haven't heard that one, I highly recommend it, too. Even if you don't like Fire Bomber.)

Im sorry, can you tell me which album and song are you recommending?

Figured I'd put a question in the newbie thread rather than risk creating a new thread and getting scolded :)

After reading most of the Macross Frontier Technology thread (http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=27033&st=160), I suddenly realized that I would be really interested in discussing Protoculture Technology - more to the point - the EVIL series.

Is there a thread (couldn't find it if there is) which goes into detail about the Protodevilin? Their various abilities? The weapon system, design, execution etc etc?

Are there any sources for something like that out there?

I'd be interested to learn more, because I have always felt that no greater and more truly awe-inspiring and fearsome weapon ever has existed than the Protodevilin.

Pete

Figured I'd put a question in the newbie thread rather than risk creating a new thread and getting scolded :)

After reading most of the Macross Frontier Technology thread (http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=27033&st=160), I suddenly realized that I would be really interested in discussing Protoculture Technology - more to the point - the EVIL series.

Is there a thread (couldn't find it if there is) which goes into detail about the Protodevilin? Their various abilities? The weapon system, design, execution etc etc?

Are there any sources for something like that out there?

I'd be interested to learn more, because I have always felt that no greater and more truly awe-inspiring and fearsome weapon ever has existed than the Protodevilin.

We've done threads about the Supervision/Inspection Army and AFOS, but nothing on the Protodeviln. We've never gone in-depth about them because of the lack of materials. Since the Evil Series got possessed by those other-worldly beings, it's also hard to gauge what the actual Evil Series' capabilities are. Heck, Protoculture locked them away and threw away the key and never looked back. Probably because killing one of those things is near impossible.

Was there any explanation of what the U.N. Spacy was going to do with the SDF-1 after the launching ceremony in ep.1? If the Zentradi didn't appear suddenly, would there be additional testing of it's weapons and fold drive or even plans to use it to reestablish the Mars base?

Was there any explanation of what the U.N. Spacy was going to do with the SDF-1 after the launching ceremony in ep.1? If the Zentradi didn't appear suddenly, would there be additional testing of it's weapons and fold drive or even plans to use it to reestablish the Mars base?

Thats.... actually a really good question. In all my years of being a Mac-freak, I've never pondered this or heard anything about it...

All I know it should perform a docking test with ARMD-1 and ARMD-2.

Weird, remember when the anti-gravity engines tore away from the hull? I wonder if they ever really try activating it before the launching ceremony. :huh:

Weird, remember when the anti-gravity engines tore away from the hull? I wonder if they ever really try activating it before the launching ceremony. :huh:

Guess that's a good thing about the Zentradi coming when they did. That would've been embarrassing. :lol:

I guessing somewhere down the road, when they get past all the stuff breaking down, it would probably look like the first mission in Homeworld or something.

Well, according to Global report, the antigrav malfunction was the boobytrap's fault, not the refit's.

In other words, it SHOULD have worked.

Didn't Global say in the first episodes that it was going to boldly go where no man had gone before?

They'd discussed first contact protocols, so they were probably intending to go gleefully gallivanting across the galaxy.

From what I've read (Japanese and English), it was intended to become the flagship of an Earth defense fleet. It's unclear if that mission would entail space exploration (Solar system or beyond).

Given the rushed nature of the Oberth Space Destroyers and the less-than-stellar manueverability of the ARMD Space Carriers, it's pretty clear that all of these firsts would be replaced sooner rather than later, like the Hound Dog was with the Lancer II.

At that time, some of the older ships could have been sent on exploration missions, perhaps even led by the SDF-1. However, it's all speculation, as the Zentraedi showed up, the Earth was destroyed, the Oberth ceased being manufactured, the SDF-1 was reproduced, the ARMD space carrier was renovated, and emmigration and exploration missions were sent out from Earth. Mind you, that's probably what the original plan was (with less emphasis on emmigration, of course) and it probably would've taken a lot longer, as there would not have been a Factory Satellite pumping out ships at an incredible rate.

From what I've read (Japanese and English), it was intended to become the flagship of an Earth defense fleet. It's unclear if that mission would entail space exploration (Solar system or beyond).

Given the rushed nature of the Oberth Space Destroyers and the less-than-stellar manueverability of the ARMD Space Carriers, it's pretty clear that all of these firsts would be replaced sooner rather than later, like the Hound Dog was with the Lancer II.

At that time, some of the older ships could have been sent on exploration missions, perhaps even led by the SDF-1. However, it's all speculation, as the Zentraedi showed up, the Earth was destroyed, the Oberth ceased being manufactured, the SDF-1 was reproduced, the ARMD space carrier was renovated, and emmigration and exploration missions were sent out from Earth. Mind you, that's probably what the original plan was (with less emphasis on emmigration, of course) and it probably would've taken a lot longer, as there would not have been a Factory Satellite pumping out ships at an incredible rate.

Hmm, if you think about it, the UN got a second big boost in terms of technology after SW1 that possibly would have never happened had the Zentraedi never come.

Hmm, if you think about it, the UN got a second big boost in terms of technology after SW1 that possibly would have never happened had the Zentraedi never come.

Technology boost? Let see:

- ASS-1/Zentraedi encounter -> OTEC, Macross, Valk, Destroid, etc

- Varauta/protodevlin encounter -> Sound Force (positive thinking: Jamming Bird girls....)

- Vajra encounter-> Dimension eater, fold quartz.

Technology boost? Let see:

- ASS-1/Zentraedi encounter -> OTEC, Macross, Valk, Destroid, etc

- Varauta/protodevlin encounter -> Sound Force (positive thinking: Jamming Bird girls....)

- Vajra encounter-> Dimension eater, fold quartz.

Don't you mean Valkyrie customization and Sound Boosters?

VF-19 Custom

vf-19custom-battroid_small.gif

VF-11 MAXL Custom

vf-11maxlcustom-battroid_small.gif

VF-17T Custom

vf-17tcustom-battroid_small.gif

VF-11D Jamming Bird

vf-11d-battroid_small.gif

Not to mention Sound Boosters which are like attachable Ghosts with speakers.

Unit 1

soundbooster-vf-19custom_small.gif

Unit 2

soundbooster-vf-11maxlcustom_small.gif

Unit 3

soundbooster-vf-17tcustom_small.gif

And for fun penetration and Meltran fleet submission the Speaker Pod Gamma!

Speaker Pod Gamma

vf-17tcustom-gamma_small.gif

Edited by RedWolf

HI all,

Are there any reputable dvd's of frontier out yet? LOL, i've yet to see this and it is killing me, been waiting to get the series on dvd...... A simple search reveals a couple of stores that have them, but the price, it seems kinda low..... Normally not a bad thing, but for a new series I figure they're bootlegs.....

edit: Forgot to say that I live in the states, and don't really care if the dvd's are subtitled.....

Edited by e_jacob77

HI all,

Are there any reputable dvd's of frontier out yet? LOL, i've yet to see this and it is killing me, been waiting to get the series on dvd...... A simple search reveals a couple of stores that have them, but the price, it seems kinda low..... Normally not a bad thing, but for a new series I figure they're bootlegs.....

edit: Forgot to say that I live in the states, and don't really care if the dvd's are subtitled.....

Volume 1 (episode 1 TV, Deculture and Yack! Deculture editions), volume 2 (episodes 2-4) are out and volume 3 (epiodes 5-7) should be coming out soon, however these are available in Japan only.

There are however a few bootleg DVDs with as many as 12 episodes per disc. However, these are the TV broadcast versions and don't contain the animation fixes and probably don't have the Yack! Deculture edition of episosde 1 as well.

Edited by d3v

HI all,

Thanx for the reply!! I assume that the Japan release only, isn't subbed?

Unfortunately, due to the legal issues surrounding Macross, subtitled official releases are rare. In the case of Frontier, the official releases don't have subs. If you want to watch the series but don't want to download over bittorrent or via macrosshare, the bootlegs should suffice (granted I haven't tried them).

There are however a few bootleg DVDs with as many as 12 episodes per disc. However, these are the TV broadcast versions and don't contain the animation fixes and probably don't have the Yack! Deculture edition of episosde 1 as well.

HI all,

THanx for yur help....... One last question, what are the animation fixes u speaketh of?

Okay . I know DYRL takes place as a movie and as a movie documentary in the Macross universe, but I noticed. In Macross 7 and Macross Frontier, they sung Ai Oboete Imasuka (Mylene and Ranka). Now my question is, was, in this supposed documentary of space war 1, Ai Oboete Imasuka made for just this movie? And it's actually an actor portraying Minmay singing this beloved song, and people just assume it's the real Minmay, (and not the actor in the movie docu.)Or they know it's the actor, and don't care.Or is it like Macross Plus with the different endings for the OVA and movie, and we can choose which version we like more, and assume in the final battle against Badolza, in the t.v series,that Minmay actually sung Ai Oboete Imasuka, instead of the song she originally sang in the t.v series, or vice-versa?

Okay . I know DYRL takes place as a movie and as a movie documentary in the Macross universe, but I noticed. In Macross 7 and Macross Frontier, they sung Ai Oboete Imasuka (Mylene and Ranka). Now my question is, was, in this supposed documentary of space war 1, Ai Oboete Imasuka made for just this movie? And it's actually an actor portraying Minmay singing this beloved song, and people just assume it's the real Minmay, (and not the actor in the movie docu.)Or they know it's the actor, and don't care.Or is it like Macross Plus with the different endings for the OVA and movie, and we can choose which version we like more, and assume in the final battle against Badolza, in the t.v series,that Minmay actually sung Ai Oboete Imasuka, instead of the song she originally sang in the t.v series, or vice-versa?

My advice is to stop over-thinking it. It doesn't make any sense, but go with it anyways. ^_^

If you REALLY need an answer, I'd think of "Do You Remember Love" as being like the Titanic theme. It wasn't actually played on the Titanic itself, but that infernal song comes on the radio and all you can think of is that ship sinking and (if you're lucky) Kate Winslet's breasts.

Thus, after 2031, everybody who hears DYRL can only think of that ship fighting and (if they're lucky) Minmay's breasts.

All just my opinion, of course. However, Macross Chronicle seems to be leaning towards the hard-line SDFM-is-canon position. The timeline has only shown pics from the TV series, and the events portrayed are likewise from the TV show.

Thus, after 2031, everybody who hears DYRL can only think of that ship fighting and (if they're lucky) Minmay's breasts.

For me, it happens every time I hear "Zero-g-Love".... :lol:

If you REALLY need an answer, I'd think of "Do You Remember Love" as being like the Titanic theme. It wasn't actually played on the Titanic itself, but that infernal song comes on the radio and all you can think of is that ship sinking and (if you're lucky) Kate Winslet's breasts.

I LOLed! as if your obsession towards Nanase isn't enough to convince everyone of your breasts fixation... :lol:

unfortunately, after the vajra war of 2059, whenever they hear Seikan Hikou, all they have is the memory of that ship fighting... and nothing else...

but if it's Northern Cross they hear, that's a different story! :p:lol:

I LOLed! as if your obsession towards Nanase isn't enough to convince everyone of your breasts fixation... :lol:

If you're against breasts, then really...what are you for?

unfortunately, after the vajra war of 2059, whenever they hear Seikan Hikou, all they have is the memory of that ship fighting... and nothing else...

but if it's Northern Cross they hear, that's a different story! :p:lol:

Naked space karaoke, man. It's a winner every time, and it never gets old. ^_^