Newbie Questions on Macross

Ahah, but there's a twist in the story--- usually it is surname first, given name last-- but if a person adopts or is given an English/Christian name, it comes before the surname. For example, Bruce Lee is called Bruce Lee Xiao Long, where the given/adopted English name comes first, then the surname, then the given Chinese name.

This actually makes sense because if the person is in an English context, he can just call himself Bruce Lee, while in a Chinese context, he can call himself Lee Xiao Long.

So, in the case of Ranka and Ozma, which are obviously not their given chinese names, they could just be given/adopted names which will correctly be placed before their surnames.

So, in the case of Ranka and Ozma, which are obviously not their given chinese names, they could just be given/adopted names which will correctly be placed before their surnames.

Never had the idea of Ranka is a Christian name, that makes sense now.

I guess the discussion on names is enough, let's move on~ :lol::ph34r:

Let us not forget throughout all this that Ranka isn't really Ozma's sister... she is adopted, so Lee isn't her real surname, or whatever it is (I can't keep any of this straight truthfully), Mei is... but she doesn't use that obviously because until the end of the show she didn't know it and now she may just prefer to be known as Ranka Lee.

Does anyone know if a special crediteless OP/ED is available for Frontier? I'm checking up all releases in special features and none of them have it, even the last DVD/BD isn't going to have them.

Can someone shed some light for me? :(

Never had the idea of Ranka is a Christian name, that makes sense now.

I guess the discussion on names is enough, let's move on~ :lol::ph34r:

Keep in mind that anime studios are recognizing the international appeal of their shows, so going with more Western naming conventions should not be that surprising...

Keep in mind that anime studios are recognizing the international appeal of their shows, so going with more Western naming conventions should not be that surprising...

Not necessarily. Foreign sounding words and names are cool.

How many of you have written a book or played an RPG character with a foreign (Japanese?) name for the same coolness factor?

グッグッグッグッグ~!

Holly Sh*T!!! Just watched ROBOTECH!!! AND IT IS SUPERIOR INDEED TO MACROSS!!!! What do i do macross fellows????

I KNOW IT ISN'T 1st APRIL YET. Now you know i'm not serious. Never watched Homotech anyway...

Tattoo the words "ROBOTECH TO THE RESCUE" on your forehead, of course.

Holly Sh*T!!! Just watched ROBOTECH!!! AND IT IS SUPERIOR INDEED TO MACROSS!!!! What do i do macross fellows????

I KNOW IT ISN'T 1st APRIL YET. Now you know i'm not serious. Never watched Homotech anyway...

Well, it seems to me that seppuku is your only option to save face... Gubaba may assist you.... :p

Quick questions:

What were the human names and former occupations of both Geperuniti and Gigile aboard the Megaroad 13 fleet?

Geperuniti was named Ivano Gunther, and he was an advisor or archivist of some sort (at least, they use the same word to describe his job that Britai uses to describe Exsedol's).

Gigle, I can't remember as well...his name was Audemaur or something like that...not sure what his job was...

Gigle, I can't remember as well...his name was Audemaur or something like that...not sure what his job was...

Gigile's host body appeared to be an NCO or the CO or the Marine squad /Security team that went down to the planet. We'll probably have to wait for the Chronicle to publish something, if anything on Gigile, for a definite answer. I'll just call him the "combat-hardened veteran" of the squad.

Gigile's host body appeared to be an NCO or the CO or the Marine squad /Security team that went down to the planet. We'll probably have to wait for the Chronicle to publish something, if anything on Gigile, for a definite answer. I'll just call him the "combat-hardened veteran" of the squad.

Well Gigil seemed like Zentradi to me.

The 2030's color coded animal name teams seem to be the norm as with Blue Rinocerous and Pink Pecker.

Ok, who's the dude next to Britai and Exedol?

He reminds me of Bodolza from SDFM, but we already have a Bodolza in DYRL. Is this guy the person in charge after the evil robot head that is Bodolza in DYRL?

Has there ever been anything said about this guy in any on the art-books or anything?

shot0005.png

and here's another shot:

shot0003.png

Well Gigil seemed like Zentradi to me.

The 2030's color coded animal name teams seem to be the norm as with Blue Rinocerous and Pink Pecker.

Actually he could very well be Zentradi.

Since it is widely believed that the Megaroad 13 fleet was a Zentradi fleet, with all the VF-14's co-opted and adapted into the Varuata army.

Actually he could very well be Zentradi.

Since it is widely believed that the Megaroad 13 fleet was a Zentradi fleet, with all the VF-14's co-opted and adapted into the Varuata army.

Well Lt. Irina was an Earther so more of a mixed fleet.

Also Ivano Gunther had the title Advisor. Something we do not see outside Zentradi rank and file.

Of course its too convinient to wishfully think the VFs we saw in Spiritia Dreaming was the VA-14 Vampire.

I got the feeling given Ozma's character design and accessories he is of Mayan descent.

Also given that he served in Mao Nome's ship.

I suppose given Sheryl doesn't look Mayan at all, the Mayan bloodline was diluted over the years.

Wasn't Sheryl adopted?

Wasn't Sheryl adopted?

Grace seemed to imply to Sheryl that even her name was a lie while trying to shatter her worldview in episode 18, and a lot of viewers took it at face value; still, as Gubaba pointed out, it turned out she really was after all and Grace was misleading her once more.

I just wonder if Sheryl knew who her grandmother was. Obviously, she never knew Mao personally, what her work was, or that Ranka was her colleague's daughter, but if she was openly established as one of those Nomes it might explain why she was kept connected to the filming project even after the director decided not to use her song. Star power is an obvious reason, but star power with some arguable connection makes better promotion.

Grace seemed to imply to Sheryl that even her name was a lie while trying to shatter her worldview in episode 18, and a lot of viewers took it at face value; still, as Gubaba pointed out, it turned out she really was after all and Grace was misleading her once more.

I just wonder if Sheryl knew who her grandmother was. Obviously, she never knew Mao personally, what her work was, or that Ranka was her colleague's daughter, but if she was openly established as one of those Nomes it might explain why she was kept connected to the filming project even after the director decided not to use her song. Star power is an obvious reason, but star power with some arguable connection makes better promotion.

It's another one of Kawamori's enigmas as to how and why Sheryl never knew Mao or even if Mao gave a damn about her grand daughter.

Mao seems to have become somewhat a cold hearted b*tch, allowing her grand daughter to be experimented on after being a street urchin for so long. She seemed to get along well with Ranshe, but who knows how close that relationship was...

It's another one of Kawamori's enigmas as to how and why Sheryl never knew Mao or even if Mao gave a damn about her grand daughter.

Mao seems to have become somewhat a cold hearted b*tch, allowing her grand daughter to be experimented on after being a street urchin for so long. She seemed to get along well with Ranshe, but who knows how close that relationship was...

Mao was pretty much dead before Sheryl got to the streets I'm sure.

If there is equivalent of Grace O'Connor in Sci-fi it would be Cavil of NBSG.

In the novelization Grace considered Mao like a mother but she felt Mao was always taking Ranshe's side.

Now we know Grace has a few loose screws. It wouldn't surprise me if Sheryl was orphaned due to the manipulation of Grace.

Also making Sheryl forget her early life other than the streets. Twistedly taking the role of a savior for poor child only to stab a dagger at the opportune time.

Whatever ill feelings she had for Mao and Ranshe she took to the children.

As evidence by turning Brera into a cyborg, infecting Ranshe as a sample and using Ranka.

I'm wondering if there is any release of the Orchestral and Instrumental music of Macross Frontier?

So far, I've heard that the OSTs have very little in that regard.

Macross Frontier OST 1 (Nyan Fro) and OST 2 (Nyan Tra) are both slightly less than half background music, though it's really nothing remarkable or even remotely interesting. OST 3 (Nyan Tama) has no BGM at all.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I'm wondering if there is any release of the Orchestral and Instrumental music of Macross Frontier?

So far, I've heard that the OSTs have very little in that regard.

This probably should've been put in the newbie thread...

Anyway, it depends on what you mean by "very little." More than half of each of the first two OSTs is instrumental music. Not everything has been released, but most of it has.

Mao was pretty much dead before Sheryl got to the streets I'm sure.

Is that an opinion?

We did hear her speaking to the "group" at one point during the series (can't remember which episode)...

Mao died when Sheryl was 6. Grace's published report on the V-type infection with Sheryl as test subject was published when Sheryl was 11. I don't think there are dates for when her parents died, or for when exactly Grace took her in. For the first, she did say she didn't even remember her mother's face so that implies pretty young but isn't terribly exact. For the second, any amount of time could have elapsed between then and the study publication, and I thought she was younger than 11 from just seeing the flashbacks and medical article.

Could the D-Pulse burst on Gallia-4 and the Energy Faults said by Gigille on the volcano island on top of the Protoculture ruin on Lux be the same thing?

The effect is similar as Valkyries can't fly but can only hover in Gerwalk mode.

Mao died when Sheryl was 6. Grace's published report on the V-type infection with Sheryl as test subject was published when Sheryl was 11. I don't think there are dates for when her parents died, or for when exactly Grace took her in. For the first, she did say she didn't even remember her mother's face so that implies pretty young but isn't terribly exact. For the second, any amount of time could have elapsed between then and the study publication, and I thought she was younger than 11 from just seeing the flashbacks and medical article.

OK, I'm still looking for the references for this...anyone?