Newbie Questions on Macross

OK, I'm still looking for the references for this...anyone?

It's guessing for the most part. Sheryl, according to records, is 17 years old by the time Frontier starts. So she would have been born around 2041/2042. Global was attacked in 2048, so that places Sheryl's age at 5 or 6 years old (that year that Global was destroyed was mention in the Official Fanbook). And wasn't the V-type virus paper published with Mao's, Ranshe's, and Grace's name on the paper. That would place it before Global was destroyed.

So each of the VF-25s in Frontier had their production number printed on the left leg of during Battriod mode. Is there a story behind what happened to the other numbered planes that didn't make an appearance?

Ozuma - SMS001

Michael - SMS003

Luca - SMS004

Alto - SMS007

So each of the VF-25s in Frontier had their production number printed on the left leg of during Battriod mode. Is there a story behind what happened to the other numbered planes that didn't make an appearance?

Ozuma - SMS001

Michael - SMS003

Luca - SMS004

Alto - SMS007

Hmmm...I can understand why numbers 2 and 5 are missing... ;)

6 baffles me, though.

It's guessing for the most part. Sheryl, according to records, is 17 years old by the time Frontier starts. So she would have been born around 2041/2042. Global was attacked in 2048, so that places Sheryl's age at 5 or 6 years old (that year that Global was destroyed was mention in the Official Fanbook). And wasn't the V-type virus paper published with Mao's, Ranshe's, and Grace's name on the paper. That would place it before Global was destroyed.

There were two papers with Grace's name given in episode 18, the first along with Ranshe and Mao in what I want to say is 2047 but certainly is before 2048, and the second in 2053 with Grace alone, and Sheryl as a test subject. She would have been 10 or 11 at that point. Those tests were done right after Sheryl was taken from the street according to Grace in the same episode, but there's no indication of how long the experiment was or how much time passed between when it happened and when the paper was published, so that's just an upper limit for how old she was when Grace found her. She looks younger than 10-11 in the flashbacks and paper to me, but then again in anime age is hard to gauge anyway. When she was orphaned is pure guessing, though she says she doesn't remember her mother's face so it couldn't have been when she was too old. (Unless she has amnesia too, but then we're talking less Macross and more All My Circuits. :p) So the only hard data points are that in 2048 Mao died and by 2053 Sheryl was in Grace's "care" on Galaxy.

For further silliness, the text onscreen from that paper wasn't helpful either: it was that Adobe EULA again. :)

Mao seems to have become somewhat a cold hearted b*tch, allowing her grand daughter to be experimented on after being a street urchin for so long.

Naturally - this is all speculation - BUT speculation (and ass) is all I live for so:

I think it was inevitable that Mao would become a cold hearted bitch and I think that it was inevitable in her character arc as started in Macross Zero that she would become involved in what essentially amounts to a freakish 'Frankenstein' like scientific venture which ended tragically.

Why?

Well - Remember the lessons that Sarah taught about the dangers of technology and science - the ones that everyone laughed at her about, but that Shin started to take seriously? Mao was always supposedly more sophisticated than her older sister and she seemed hell bent on breaking the laws and enjoying the wonders of science.

However; Sarah's warnings about science and technology were really the Protoculture's warnings to human kind - albeit re-interpreted throughout the ages and ultimately set out as an ancient Mayan religion.

Essentially, the Protoculture WANTED scientific progress ("Have Humans learned to travel to the stars?"), but at the same time they hoped for MORAL progress ("Do humans still fight wars?").

Sarah's teachings about science and technology are not - as they often seem to be portrayed by those who listen to her - shallow ramblings or mysticism. Remember that the technology of the Protoculture, which Sarah worships as a religion IS SCIENTIFIC - it is a technology, not magic. Humans just are not advanced enough yet to understand this technology, thus confronted with it, they interpret it through the one medium available to them: RELIGION (which by definition tries to provide supra-natural explanations for phenomena that reason is at a loss to explain).

Sarah's moral teaching - I think it could be argued - particularly her moral teaching about Science have all been adopted by the political system on...Macross Frontier.

I mean - look at Macross Frontier.

The bodies of the dead are recycled into raw materials from which oxygen and other basic nutrients necessary to keep the colony alive are produced. There is ample wildlife on the colony integrated with the city scape; and the city scape is NOT industrial AT ALL. The technological on Frontier is integrated with the natural in recognition of the basic human need for, on the one hand, technological progress which alieviates hardship and is also an expression of creativity, but also on the other hand, for a one-ness with the natural world that restores to humanity its' consciousness of being in the world, rather than the technological escapism whereby man makes his own world (or thinks he does).

It is a healthy balance.

Unlike Macross Galaxy.

Macross Galaxy, where Mao ended up working, is extreme science run amock without even BOTHERING to ask questions of itself.

Science, of course, can answer questions about the world, but the scientific method is powerless to answer questions about its' own moral validity, because it sees moral questions as being purely subjective valuations and therefore sees no way to pursue conclusive moral proofs. Science also ignores the pre-modern scientific notion that morality is inconclusive, kind of like people themselves (we never fully know ourselves or others), and therefore it is necessary to philosophize.

Rejecting philosophy as a moderate approach to the question of morality, science deems religion as the proper method towards morality; but at the same time sees religion as being un-true, mere mysticism, and - at best - a psychological condition that should be left to psychological inquiry (psychology being the attempt at applying science to the un-scientific realm of human consciousness).

In the case of Galaxy; I doubt they were even very consciouss of these problematics - they were just more concerned with pursuing their deluded plans no matter what the cost.

Only in the end did all of them realize what a horrible thing they had been pursuing. Sadly, I imagine that Mao - acting off of an inherent desire to rebel against her older sister and somewhat resenting her humble origins as an "island primitive" did everything possible to HIDE these origins and moulded herself into a pure scientific entity.

Her only redeeming quality - which might have been able to save her on Galaxy - was her capacity for love - which we saw in regard to Shin.

But we saw it when she was young.

She quite possibly "out grew" love and became a professional woman (aka stopped being a woman) - and a scientist at that (aka stopped being human insofar as by "became a scientist" I mean "became a radicalized walking calculator").

I guess this is why it was not surprising for me to learn that Mao's fate looked like it did in Frontier.

Pete

Well it has always been Grace's plan to screw the children of her beloved persons.

Brera - turned to a cyborg

Sheryl - a test subject

Ranka - a conduit for her galactic domination

Why she did this is because in her twisted cybernetic mind it is revenge.

Revenge against Mao, Ranshe and Ranshe's husband. I wouldn't make it past Grace if she had Sheryl's parents murdered.

~snip

Mao didn't work for Macross Galaxy. Mao was the lead director of the 117th Fleet. Essentially the same position as Advisor Ivano Gunther with the Megaroad 13 investigation fleet.

It was mention by the teacher that there are around 17 known Protoculture worlds.

It happens that Mao was the leading expert on the Protoculture.

In the MF novelization when Grace and Ranshe were arguing Mao took Ranshe's side of the argument. Grace saw Mao as a mother figure and Grace resents that Ranshe is like the favored child.

Edited by RedWolf

Mao didn't work for Macross Galaxy. Mao was the lead director of the 117th Fleet. Essentially the same position as Advisor Ivano Gunther with the Megaroad 13 investigation fleet.

It was mention by the teacher that there are around 17 known Protoculture worlds.

It happens that Mao was the leading expert on the Protoculture.

In the MF novelization when Grace and Ranshe were arguing Mao took Ranshe's side of the argument. Grace saw Mao as a mother figure and Grace resents that Ranshe is like the favored child.

Hey - stop giving concrete examples from the actual work that undermine my fantastic narrative :p

Pete

Quick Q about the launch dates:

I know that the Megaroad 1 launched in August 2012.

The Macross 7 launched in 2038

When did the frontier and galaxy launch? The Frontier would have had to have been out in space for at least 18 or so years as Alto was born on it. However the frontier fleet seems MUCH more technologically advanced than the 7 fleet does, and I think I read somewhere that it might have launched earlier than the 7. If that's the case, then why was the 7 so small in comparison to the Frontier?

Same Q for the galaxy.

Actually I don't think Alto was born on Frontier, but I don't know where he was born otherwise. Nonetheless I don't remember their launch dates but I believe that information does exist.

Given that the Miss Macross contest has been around annually with guess work is it launched in 2047.

In various Macross media covered events of that year.

January

* Fire Bomber American responds to an interview during an in-studio practice session.

February 21

Macross English Anticipation Manga

* Fire Bomber learns about the English Fire!! album release from the Fire Bomber American cover band.

Spring

* Fire Bomber American's English Fire!! album gains widespread popularity.

Macross Dynamite 7: Mylene Beat

* Mylene Jenius ponders independence by starting her own act and gig aboard the Macross 7.

Macross Generation

* Aboard the Macross 9 fleet, aspiring idol singer Passero encounters Wolf, an assassin on the run from the Mafia, and Rafale, a Cosmo Bike Racer.

Macross Dynamite 7

* Basara Nekki journeys across the galaxy alone.

* Basara Nekki embroils himself in a conflict between Galactic Whale poachers and the patrol force on planet Zola.

July 23

Macross Digital Mission VF-X

* 1920 Earth Standard Time: The idol singer group Milky Dolls are captured during a concert and taken to an abandoned colony planet.

November

* Cosmo Nature article published on the V-type virus study of 117th fleet project director Mao Nome and associates Ranshe Mei and Gace O'Connor.

The destruction of the 117th fleet and loss of flagship SDFN-04 Global on the year 2048.

2049 Ozma and Ranka Lee move to Macross Frontier.

Thanks for the answers, but IIRC didn't Alto at one point say he was born on the ship? I remember him saying either he live his whole life on it, or was born on it, I THINK this came from one of the THORA subs, but it's hard to remember where exactly.

Thanks for the answers, but IIRC didn't Alto at one point say he was born on the ship? I remember him saying either he live his whole life on it, or was born on it, I THINK this came from one of the THORA subs, but it's hard to remember where exactly.

Though a NMC fleet complete with other essential ships such as Macross 7 can be set up in a year the Island Cluster Class is different ball game.

Besides the fact Island One is much bigger than a City block ther are a number island ships also attached.

compare-m25-m7-top.jpg

It might have took several years of construction before Frontier launched from Earth's orbit.

When did the frontier and galaxy launch? The Frontier would have had to have been out in space for at least 18 or so years as Alto was born on it. However the frontier fleet seems MUCH more technologically advanced than the 7 fleet does, and I think I read somewhere that it might have launched earlier than the 7. If that's the case, then why was the 7 so small in comparison to the Frontier?

Same Q for the galaxy.

According to the Official Fanbook, Frontier launched in 2041. Alto was born in 2042. Unfortunately, it doesn't say whether or not his family immigrated to Frontier or if he was born on-board the fleet. According to the DVD/Blu-Ray liner notes, Galaxy launched around 10 years prior to Frontier's launch.

According to the Official Fanbook, Frontier launched in 2041. Alto was born in 2042. Unfortunately, it doesn't say whether or not his family immigrated to Frontier or if he was born on-board the fleet. According to the DVD/Blu-Ray liner notes, Galaxy launched around 10 years prior to Frontier's launch.

Well that doesn't make sense as Macross 1 launched in 2031.

Unless Macross Galaxy later got the Macross 21 designation later when they got Battle Galaxy.

Functionally Macross Galaxy mainland is closer to a Megaroad without a docked Macross.

There is no evidence that Battle Galaxy docks with Galaxy Mainland.

Edited by RedWolf

Keep in mind that the Galaxy was not a City ship fleet. The NMCV battleships are the same hull type. Another point is that the Galaxy is a corporately owned fleet, not the government sponsored fleet that the New Macorss 1 fleet was and it seems to be the most modern adaptation of the Megaroad type of civilian ship.

It is possible that it launched a year after the Macross 1 fleet and over the years had seen many upgrades, the main discrepancy is why was it given a Macross 21 (?) designation, being so old?.

Edited by Zinjo

It is possible that it launched a year after the Macross 1 fleet and over the years had seen many upgrades, the main discrepancy is why was it given a Macross 21 (?) designation, being so old?.

If memory serves me, Galaxy was a high-tech fleet that was constantly on the forefront of new tech. I'm sure their ship(s) went through periodic upgrades as they traveled. Perhaps Battle Galaxy also went through upgrades.

Keep in mind that the Galaxy was not a City ship fleet. The NMCV battleships are the same hull type. Another point is that the Galaxy is a corporately owned fleet, not the government sponsored fleet that the New Macorss 1 fleet was and it seems to be the most modern adaptation of the Megaroad type of civilian ship.

The captain of Galaxy called their ship Mainland. Now the reason why Battle Galaxy was shown not in the Galaxy prologue montage is that when it set out it did not have a NMC Battle ship at the begining.

Battle Galaxy is nearly identical to Battle Frontier with exception of gun shoulders, flight deck and what seems to be an automated bridge.

Meaning initially it could have been the same variant as Battle Frontier.

Now NMC Battle ships being assigned to non-City class ships may have a precedent in Battle 13.

Battle 13 was called Macross 13. Indicating perhaps it did not protect a City class ship.

If Macross 7 has shown us anything there are colony ships whose size rivaling the City class.

Also in a recent revelation of SK some fleets utilize Zentradi ships as colony vessels instead.

Edited by RedWolf

was it really 10 years prior, I could have sworn that they said in the show that the galaxy was launched something like 2 years before the frontier. (weren't they commissioned around the same time with the Galaxy being finished quicker?)

was it really 10 years prior, I could have sworn that they said in the show that the galaxy was launched something like 2 years before the frontier. (weren't they commissioned around the same time with the Galaxy being finished quicker?)

They said "several years" but they don't specify what "several years" is. The liner notes in vol. 3 mention 10 years and I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere in the material I have. It may be mentioned again in Great Mechanics DX but I don't have those issues. It also may be mentioned in vol. 9's liner notes, but we're still a few weeks from that coming out.

One must also keep in mind that:

a) under the Seeding plan, the UN Spacy launched 1 to 2 Super Long Range Emigration Fleets per year (presumably from Earth)

b) the Galaxy Fleet is launched from Eden

c) (the aforementioned) Galaxy is a corporate fleet

d) the Galaxy Fleet has been described as a "New Macross Class" Fleet.

Point d needs some clarification: because it's been described as such, it most likely consists of the standard Super Long Range Emigration fleet ships, such as the Macross 7 or Macross 5 fleet. Because Kawamori-san has gone on record stating essentially that designs of old opponent ships were not reused in the newer series to prevent the viewer from becoming confused, despite them being present, I feel that the Macross Galaxy ship designs that we have seen are part of a larger fleet composed of the standard Super Long Range emigration fleet ships. Therefore, in addition to the Battle 21, (Battle Galaxy), there's also a City 21, in addition to the "mainland" that we've been shown. Perhaps the Mainland ship is a combat capable emigration ship, or simply contains the real bodies of Grace et al and they want that near the front lines during the series.

Has macross ever shown a case in which a transformation fails because of extensive damage to the structure of the VF? And in that case, would the transformation lead to even greater damage? Considering how quickly transformations happen, and the number of moving parts involved, you'd think it would be a very precise and delicate process, despite how much technology or designing is involved. Just one stray shot that knocks a part out of place, and that transformation is no longer going to be so smooth.

Has macross ever shown a case in which a transformation fails because of extensive damage to the structure of the VF?

Actually, yes.

In Episode 5 of the Macross II: Lovers Again OVA ("Station Break"), a VF-2SS is hit by a beam cannon shot as it starts to transform, and the damage causes it to get stuck halfway between fighter and battroid modes, until a power armor tears it apart.

And in that case, would the transformation lead to even greater damage? Considering how quickly transformations happen, and the number of moving parts involved, you'd think it would be a very precise and delicate process, despite how much technology or designing is involved. Just one stray shot that knocks a part out of place, and that transformation is no longer going to be so smooth.

I would imagine so, but I don't think that much has ever been depicted.

Has macross ever shown a case in which a transformation fails because of extensive damage to the structure of the VF? And in that case, would the transformation lead to even greater damage? Considering how quickly transformations happen, and the number of moving parts involved, you'd think it would be a very precise and delicate process, despite how much technology or designing is involved. Just one stray shot that knocks a part out of place, and that transformation is no longer going to be so smooth.

Well in Mac Plus the YF-21 ejects its legs (and other parts) when they are hit by the Ghost before transforming, so to some extent VFs can just jettison damaged parts that would interfere with the transformation.

Well in Mac Plus the YF-21 ejects its legs (and other parts) when they are hit by the Ghost before transforming, so to some extent VFs can just jettison damaged parts that would interfere with the transformation.

Yeah, but the YF-21's a unique case... none of the limbs contain essential systems. They exist solely for the sake of the GERWALK and battroid modes.

As far as transformation impeded by damage, loss of limbs doesn't seem to be a huge issue, as Hikaru is able to get his VF-1S to transform after losing both arms in the TV series.

The loss of limbs is apparently a lot less of a threat to transformation than than damage to the joints that carry out the transformation, as with that VF-2SS.

~snip

From the impression of Sheryl liking Frontier and the description of Galaxy being a chemical plant ship with shanty towns is that Mainland is the main ship and there is no City ship with a dome.

Indeed in flashbacks Galaxy is either sterile or has bleak atmosphere on it.

Not as sunny and Earth-like as City 7 or Island 1.

Yea, seto has captured my question precisely. I know about the YF-21 jettison, but those were damaged areas that didn't interfere with transformation. The YF-21 design made a lot more sense that way (reducing the number of areas required to to fold during transformation) but is a lot less cool. =P

Yeah, but the YF-21's a unique case... none of the limbs contain essential systems. They exist solely for the sake of the GERWALK and battroid modes.

As far as transformation impeded by damage, loss of limbs doesn't seem to be a huge issue, as Hikaru is able to get his VF-1S to transform after losing both arms in the TV series.

The loss of limbs is apparently a lot less of a threat to transformation than than damage to the joints that carry out the transformation, as with that VF-2SS.

Yes but my point being-- as long as the transformation joint can be jettisoned, none of the damage will affect transformation-- the VF-27's legs clearly contains an important system (an engine) but can still be jettisoned when damaged. The VF-1 example shows it as well. I guess only damage to the torso may possibly hinder transformation.

One must also keep in mind that:

a) under the Seeding plan, the UN Spacy launched 1 to 2 Super Long Range Emigration Fleets per year (presumably from Earth)

b) the Galaxy Fleet is launched from Eden

c) (the aforementioned) Galaxy is a corporate fleet

d) the Galaxy Fleet has been described as a "New Macross Class" Fleet.

Point d needs some clarification: because it's been described as such, it most likely consists of the standard Super Long Range Emigration fleet ships, such as the Macross 7 or Macross 5 fleet. Because Kawamori-san has gone on record stating essentially that designs of old opponent ships were not reused in the newer series to prevent the viewer from becoming confused, despite them being present, I feel that the Macross Galaxy ship designs that we have seen are part of a larger fleet composed of the standard Super Long Range emigration fleet ships. Therefore, in addition to the Battle 21, (Battle Galaxy), there's also a City 21, in addition to the "mainland" that we've been shown. Perhaps the Mainland ship is a combat capable emigration ship, or simply contains the real bodies of Grace et al and they want that near the front lines during the series.

I don't agree with the notion that Galaxy has a standard City class colony ship. The Megaroads (as far as we know) had no eco-systems either, yet they were viable colony vessels.

What we have learned in Frontier is that any capital ship that is capable of transformation is considered a "Macross" ship (most likely the for the same reasons why all variable fighters are collectively termed "valkyries". Both type of crafts were the firsts of their kind for humanity and therefore retain their iconic status), the Captain of Quarter made that clear when bragging about his ship.

The implication I gathered from his statement is that for a fleet to be considered a "Macross" fleet it must have a transforming capital ship. In the 2030's a new version of a Macross ship set sail, the "New Macross Aircraft Carrier" (NMCV) and it was attached (typically) to a City Class colony vessel. Because the Galaxy had a NMCV attached to the fleet it too was considered a "New Macross Class Fleet", regardless of what type of colony vessel was attached to it.

If the Megaroad fleets had Macross Class (SDFN) warships in the fleet, they could also have been considered a "Macross Class" fleet (if the convention is to be consistent) because a transforming warship was a part of it. The one thing that has been consistent since Mac 7 was that the "New Macross" moniker always seemed to be refering to the transforming warship and not the colony ship.

From the impression of Sheryl liking Frontier and the description of Galaxy being a chemical plant ship with shanty towns is that Mainland is the main ship and there is no City ship with a dome.

Indeed in flashbacks Galaxy is either sterile or has bleak atmosphere on it.

Not as sunny and Earth-like as City 7 or Island 1.

Don't forget that ships like the 3-star Factory ship have a large residential section, and they don't have a dome.

Again, just because it wasn't shown, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Take the Macross 5 fleet (the Zentraedi one) in M7: it's pictured as an extremely dense concrete jungle, akin to lower Manhattan island. There's no impression of parks in that ship. Why couldn't the Galaxy fleet be similar? (Corporate dude: screw parks! We need more high rises to get more people working!)

I don't agree with the notion that Galaxy has a standard City class colony ship. The Megaroads (as far as we know) had no eco-systems either, yet they were viable colony vessels.

So, you're saying the park along the top surface of the ship isn't an eco-system? (Not to mention that materials (water, air, etc.) are all recycled, thereby making it a closed eco-system, with or without flora and fauna).

Nevertheless, having an environment (park, Sunny Flower, Riviera, Environment ship, etc.) isn't what makes a New Macross class Super Long Range Emigration Fleet. The Macross 5 fleet has no such vessels nor does City 5 have any parks.

Also, get your terminology straight : 移民 translates as emigrant/immigrant, NOT as colonist/colony.

What we have learned in Frontier is that any capital ship that is capable of transformation is considered a "Macross" ship

?? New Macross Class Super Long Range Emigration fleet means fleets like Macross 5, 7, and so on. Focusing on the concept of ships named Macross is missing the point.

If the Megaroad fleets had Macross Class (SDFN) warships in the fleet, they could also have been considered a "Macross Class" fleet (if the convention is to be consistent) because a transforming warship was a part of it. The one thing that has been consistent since Mac 7 was that the "New Macross" moniker always seemed to be refering to the transforming warship and not the colony ship.

You've misread facts, or haven't read all the facts that have been translated. A plurality of Macross class ships (I take that as two, possibly more) where attached to each and every Megaroad Class Super Long Range Emigration fleet. Those fleets were never referred to as anything buy "Megaroad class Super Long Range Emigration Fleet".

Edited by sketchley

Don't forget that ships like the 3-star Factory ship have a large residential section, and they don't have a dome.

Again, just because it wasn't shown, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Take the Macross 5 fleet (the Zentraedi one) in M7: it's pictured as an extremely dense concrete jungle, akin to lower Manhattan island. There's no impression of parks in that ship. Why couldn't the Galaxy fleet be similar? (Corporate dude: screw parks! We need more high rises to get more people working!)

Now that you mention Three Star , in the Macross 7 Trash it is where punks hang around.

I believe Macross 7 has two of them. In Macross Dynamite 7 they were building a new one.

You'd think they wouldn't need one more residential ship. But I take it Macross 7's population increased if the Varauta and Macross 5 colonist survivors decided to join. (That and maybe a few thousand cultured Meltrans that may have decided to migrate due to a certain Rock star.)

Edited by RedWolf