Macross Frontier Episode 5 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 5 Rating  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of Episode 5

• Positive (At least the girl is attractive)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (I would hate the taste concrete on the 1st date)

Here's some advice to the people complaining about the fan service. Don't watch anime, especially not the kind shown in the wee hours of the morning. Just be glad it isn't Macross Green Green.

WORD!

Wonder what's causing the delay with the AiA sub? They were pretty quick with the other episodes.

Graham

I noticed that delay too. It was a pretty heavy dialogue episode, but they are usually ready by monday at the latest so far. Might be beaten by Shinsen (who have gotten their act together finally) at this rate.

Taksraven

Yes, I've heard rumors of this too, I heard from the grapevine that the website you are looking for is something called Macross World. You might have to google that one, I have no idea what the address is.

I believe they have a forum section there too. I think there's a section called Movies and TV Series. If I recall correctly, there's some obscure poster named "Gram" or "Grey Ham" who is scanning those mangas.

ok thanks, i don't do much surfing, even if that thread is on the same page :lol:

It occurs to me I might be misinterpreting what Sheryl was saying. When Alto asks her if she has ever seen a Zentraedi before, she says no, and that she only encountered miclones on other ships.

I had interpreted this to mean that she hadn't even encountered miclones on Galaxy, but thinking about it now, I realize she might have simply meant that there weren't any giant Zentraedi on galaxy, and that she had only encountered miclones on other ships. Looking back at it now, this doesn't specifically mean that there aren't miclones at least on Galaxy.

True.

But on the other hand... the Macross 5 fleet was predominantly, if not exclusively, zentradi.

It's not like segregated fleets haven't happened before.

Yeah! Who wants to go on a ship full of pointy eared, tentacle-like-hair people. :p Especially if some of the hot chicks turn into little girls when micronized (though that may appeal to some of the population :lol: "Warera Rori Konda" if you get what I mean).

If you look at the difference between the connected eco system of Frontier vs the separated ships of the 35th Long Ranged Colonization Fleet (Macross 7), I think we can assume that City 7 is an example of a chemical plant similar to Galaxy.

Some ppl have said that the Vajra awakened due to Ranka's singing. I find veeery suspicious the fact that before the meeting on Island 3 Leon informed Mr. Vilrer how all the ppl who know about the Vajra were going to be in the facility.

Could it be that Mr. Vilrer is the one behind the Vajra attacks & he activated the Vajra to get rid of the witnesses...? Perhaps Ranka's singing at the time was just coincidence...

That 7km includes the dock, and the Battle 7; City 7 itself is only about 5km long.

The Frontier is a monster by comparison.

Also note that the surface area is not scaling linearly since the clamshell is basically a big circle when viewed from above. Remember he surface area of a circle is pi * (radius ^ 2).

If City 7 had a diameter of 5 km, it's radius is 2.5 Km and making its surface area about 19.6 sq km (assuming it's perfectly flat, blah blah). If City 7 was alternately 7 km long, it would still only be 38.5 sq km.

If Frontier is in fact 15 km in diameter, the surface area available to use as land would be around 177 sq km. That is much much much larger, but seems about right if you need to haul around a population of 10 million (!!!) while providing all the creature comforts of home (bodies of water, simulated weather and day/night cycles, etc).

I can't fathom how much power it would take to move something that massive, but hey, that's Macross. :)

Edited by Batou

Those are some great numbers. Nice work Batou. The Macross Frontier fleet really is quite extraordinary. And to think, that 177 sq km Island 1 is just one of many colony ships that are part of the Macross 25. As for moving the thing, well, if sci-fi can have a Death Star flying around, I suppose they can move anything :) OverTechnology is always the best excuse :)

Actually this bring something to mind that I've been thinking about on and off since we learned about the fleet; the Macross Frontier fleet is so huge with such a massive number of colonists, I wonder why they don't just park in orbit or in some solar system and simply call it a colony. Why even bother colonizing a planet at that point? If we assume that all those Island's attached to the Frontier were built en route to a habitable system, why not just keep building them? I mean people have got to be living in space habitats and space stations in the Macross universe already. The NMC colonization ships actually seem like ideal space colonies themselves since they have all the amenities of a planet. And once a safe solar system is found with plenty of resources, why even bother going through all the trouble of terraforming a planet and transplanting plants/animals?

There are several advantages to having a space-based colony. Since anything can be space folded in the Macross universe, even something larger than a moon (The Factory Satellite), any potential space colony can be moved when necessary, due to natural space disasters or attacks. Hey, we're under attack by another fleet of 5 million Zentradi ships! Let's just fold all 10 million people inside our mobile colony to the safety of a nearby UNG fleet! It's also clear that the NMC colonization ships are so safe and viable that colonists can live for years aboard them with no long term problems. And as the population grows, simply build more habitable areas.

I guess the ideal of living in a planet peacefully with almost unlimited resources still prevails, this new Macross colony vessels might be self sufficient but for how long until they need serious maintenances, and if you happen to run into a planet why not colonize it and not worry about keeping a ship running, there so many dangers living in space than in a planet, aside from natural disasters, hahaha

and I think the Macross colony vessels are designed like that with the assumptions that a few generations might pass until they find a habitable planet, I don't know about this, but the only habitable planets found are Eden and Zola, right!?!

There are several advantages to having a space-based colony. Since anything can be space folded in the Macross universe, even something larger than a moon (The Factory Satellite), any potential space colony can be moved when necessary, due to natural space disasters or attacks. Hey, we're under attack by another fleet of 5 million Zentradi ships! Let's just fold all 10 million people inside our mobile colony to the safety of a nearby UNG fleet! It's also clear that the NMC colonization ships are so safe and viable that colonists can live for years aboard them with no long term problems. And as the population grows, simply build more habitable areas.

Interesing point. space colonies could provide mobility.

but on an anime perspective, i think macross would try to avoid the use of space colonies as much as possible since that would be in the realm of Gundam. I'm guess it will always be colonization ships for macross, and colonies for gundam.

and I think the Macross colony vessels are designed like that with the assumptions that a few generations might pass until they find a habitable planet, I don't know about this, but the only habitable planets found are Eden and Zola, right!?!

I think there are more planets than that.

In the Macross M3 Dreamcast game, which is considered canon, missions are conducted on the following planets: Neo York, New Nile, Cristrania, New Asia, Susia, Dahan, Bellfan. Now I'm not saying that all these are necessarily colony planets, but there was at least some sort of UN presence on the planets.

Also, in the Playstation game, Macross Digital Mision VF-X, the MIlky Dolls Group are kidnapped and taken to an unnamed abandoned colony planet.

Graham

There are several advantages to having a space-based colony. Since anything can be space folded in the Macross universe, even something larger than a moon (The Factory Satellite), any potential space colony can be moved when necessary, due to natural space disasters or attacks. Hey, we're under attack by another fleet of 5 million Zentradi ships!

I’d love to know the exact limitations of fold technology in the Macross universe, for large ships, i.e. maximum length of fold and also recharge time between folds.

We know from Macross Plus that the prototype external Fold Booster was certified for a 1-way fold of up to 20 light years.

Graham

And once a safe solar system is found with plenty of resources, why even bother going through all the trouble of terraforming a planet and transplanting plants/animals?

Because the sky ends at 2000 feet?

I have not watched it cuz AiA still hasn't released theirs....sigh. But reading reviews online, my worse fears came true. Seems the art and animation has dropped even more in ep 5. And some were even obvious from screenshots taken from said reviews. :(

Hopefully they buck up when the important stuff starts happening.

I have not watched it cuz AiA still hasn't released theirs....sigh. But reading reviews online, my worse fears came true. Seems the art and animation has dropped even more in ep 5. And some were even obvious from screenshots taken from said reviews. :(

Hopefully they buck up when the important stuff starts happening.

The art and animation have been consistently average to sub-par since episode 1. It hasn't gotten worse.

The art and animation have been consistently average to sub-par since episode 1. It hasn't gotten worse.

Hmmm not really...i actually think ep 1 - 2 were the best with high levels of detail and fluid animation which dropped as the episodes went on.

But i'm surprised to find another one on MW who actually noticed the issues with the art/animation. Last episode, I was bagged as this being a "small hands" issue unanimously. :rolleyes:

Actually this bring something to mind that I've been thinking about on and off since we learned about the fleet; the Macross Frontier fleet is so huge with such a massive number of colonists, I wonder why they don't just park in orbit or in some solar system and simply call it a colony. Why even bother colonizing a planet at that point? If we assume that all those Island's attached to the Frontier were built en route to a habitable system, why not just keep building them? I mean people have got to be living in space habitats and space stations in the Macross universe already. The NMC colonization ships actually seem like ideal space colonies themselves since they have all the amenities of a planet. And once a safe solar system is found with plenty of resources, why even bother going through all the trouble of terraforming a planet and transplanting plants/animals?

The flipside is.... they're also a lot more fragile than a planet.

We've already seen two decompression incidents in Frontier. And while the main dome has enough volume that it was relatively safe(as safe as you can ever call a hull breach in deep space on a long-range colony ship), the one in the smaller dome was pretty serious.

'Sides, they didn't kick giant alien ass to become a bunch of wandering space nomads. :p

I haven't been nagged by it. Those CG sequences are expensive, and the quality hasn't been BAD in the grand scheme of things. Gundam 00 it's not, but we're comparing the best apples with the best oranges in a bucket of dozens here.

As for why colonize other planets at all, the root is simply in the fact that humanity has always been a species of learners, expansionists, and to a certain degree explorers. Macross Frontier has possibly been on the road for twenty years (ref. the 20th Miss Macross Frontier contest), and while some people wouldn't mind living in the same place for two decades, I'm sure some people are looking forward to settling a new world. The edict of the colonization program is to make sure that humanity won't be extinct if the Zentradi (or anyone) wipes out Earth.

After all, we haven't really seen what happens to a "modern" colony fleet when a suitable planet is discovered. They may land permanenetly and coert their colony ships into the bases for cities, or they may simply let anyone off who wants to stay, makes sure they're self-sufficient AND linked to the Galaxy Network, and move on.

Mark

Bah....you guys....objectivity is lost on you. You guys have been Froating Headed (anime equivalent to something like Yamato-ed).

Anyway, i'll only say for sure after i seen the AiA subs.

I haven't been nagged by it. Those CG sequences are expensive, and the quality hasn't been BAD in the grand scheme of things. Gundam 00 it's not, but we're comparing the best apples with the best oranges in a bucket of dozens here.

Again, just my personal opinion here, but I find the animation in Frontier, both cell and CG do be far supperior to Gundam 00 by several orders of magnitude.

And don't even get me started on that steaming pile of crap that is Votoms The Pailsen Files (and this coming from a hardcore Votoms fan). So disappointing.

Since starting watching Frontier, every other anime I've tried to watch looks bad in comparison.

I'm in 7th heaven with this show and loving every aspect of it. :D

Graham