Macross Frontier Episode 5 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 5 Rating  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of Episode 5

• Positive (At least the girl is attractive)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (I would hate the taste concrete on the 1st date)

Next episode should be balls to the walls action, I can't wait.

I have a feeling episode 6 won't have a lot of action, but I think episoode 7 will be action packed.

This is just my guess, but I think episode 6 will consist mostly of more character development, especially for Alto, Sheryl and Ranka. I have a feeling we could be in for a very emotionally charged scene if Ranka confronts Alto and Sheryl about their kiss.

Also, I think episode 6 will consist of a scene between

Ranka, her agent and Ozma

(spoiler tag added for those that have not read the manga).

I think that we won’t see the SMS ship launching until near the end of episode 6 and the episode will likely end on a cliffhanger with the SMS forces encountering a large force of Vajra attacking the galaxy fleet.

Graham

I have a feeling episode 6 won't have a lot of action, but I think episoode 7 will be action packed.

This is just my guess, but I think episode 6 will consist mostly of more character development, especially for Alto, Sheryl and Ranka. I have a feeling we could be in for a very emotionally charged scene if Ranka confronts Alto and Sheryl about their kiss.

Also, I think episode 6 will consist of a scene between

Ranka, her agent and Ozma

(spoiler tag added for those that have not read the manga).

I think that we won’t see the SMS ship launching until near the end of episode 6 and the episode will likely end on a cliffhanger with the SMS forces encountering a large force of Vajra attacking the galaxy fleet.

Graham

Exactly what I think. I want to meet Lt. Wilen... If he survives that's it. He sounded like he was badly hurt at the end of "Star Date". I hope we finally see N.U.N.S. pilots get proper retribution against the Vajra... Wonder why they don't use super packs in their VF-171's?

but i'm not too sure about how Grace managed to find Sheryl? can anyone explain? :huh:

My guess is that she used the implants to directly interface with Frontier's computers, searching the system for signs of Sheryl much faster than she could have otherwise.

I'd guess Grace either found a security camera in Sheryl/Ranka/Alto's escape pod, or found footage from a camera showing them entering the pod.

There's also the possibility they had to enter some personal info when they either got in the pod or tried to use it to send messages out, but since communication seemed ineffective, I'd count that as unlikely.

It's not so hard to imagine...I don't recall seeing any full-sized Zentradi in the Macross 7 Fleet, for example. Or on Eden.

Yeah, but Sheryl didn't just say no full-sized Zentraedi. She said there weren't any Zentraedi at all (and that the only time she met Miclones was on other ships).

That's what seemed odd to me; I could understand a fleet with no full-sized Zentraedi, but one without even any Miclones strikes me as odd. How could Galaxy not have any Zentraedi at all?

Edited by Elektrix

Galaxy is from Eden, what appears to be a predominately micron populated world. Whether any political or social overtones toward the Zentreadi exist, has yet to be revealed. The fact that what is legal on Eden is not legal on Earth also speaks to the semi-autonomous nature of the colony worlds. Essentially a truly galactic UN, where each world has its own laws and governments, under the umbrella of a common administrative body. The only difference to "our" UN is that the UN Gov, has a military arm to enforce "federal" policies and federal initiatives (i.e. Emigration projects).

This is just rough having to go thru 9 pages of stuff if you want to wait for the subs. :(

But did anyone notice that sly move Michael did. Looks right then swiftly left "OHHEYLET'SGETICECREAMSOMEWHEREFARAWAYNOW" and Klein's there. :p As a little girl he can handle him but he can't handle that much woman. Least he gave Luca some space.

Won't be a Macross without a Zentraedi going 'DECULTURE!' would it?

...or the fact that the camera always seems to enter her room just as she's putting on a shirt...

But yeah, I don't understand why people are getting uptight about this. It's all pretty tame, especially for a "Super Dimension" series.

(Erm, "Super Dimension Legend Rall" is an official part of the "Super Dimension" series...isn't it...?)

We just like to keep a high standard on Macross. We dream of being able to show people one anime and get a "eh, it's ok" instead of weird dirty looks. But such is the fate of us nerds... :ph34r:

We just like to keep a high standard on Macross. We dream of being able to show people one anime and get a "eh, it's ok" instead of weird dirty looks. But such is the fate of us nerds... :ph34r:

Give an example of the tame and puritanical Macross you speak of.

are you similarly ashamed to show your friends BSG? Or do you feel dirty watching reruns of smallville? I'm thinking specifically of the episode where lana swims around in her lingerie.

It occurs to me I might be misinterpreting what Sheryl was saying. When Alto asks her if she has ever seen a Zentraedi before, she says no, and that she only encountered miclones on other ships.

I had interpreted this to mean that she hadn't even encountered miclones on Galaxy, but thinking about it now, I realize she might have simply meant that there weren't any giant Zentraedi on galaxy, and that she had only encountered miclones on other ships. Looking back at it now, this doesn't specifically mean that there aren't miclones at least on Galaxy.

-Elektrix

It certainly sounds like the Galaxy is more of a, I dunno, city ship? Literally. High on metal, low on bio. Also, it does sound like that fleet doesn't any Zentradi on it. Makes you wonder about the state of affairs amongst the UN colonies (or however you want to look at them).

It certainly sounds like the Galaxy is more of a, I dunno, city ship? Literally. High on metal, low on bio. Also, it does sound like that fleet doesn't any Zentradi on it. Makes you wonder about the state of affairs amongst the UN colonies (or however you want to look at them).

If it does have Zentradi, they're probably all miclones. I'm getting the feeling that Galaxy is much smaller compared to Frontier.

This is just rough having to go thru 9 pages of stuff if you want to wait for the subs.

Subtitle file is in the first post.

Well, Sheryl mention that Galaxy is using a "chemical-plant", in opposition the the "bio-plant" of the Frontier, and other Fleets. So it sounds to me it isn't exactly built around the same technology, and Galaxy being a "chemical type" doesn't have all these natural environments like seas and forest.

-Sergorn

Well, Sheryl mention that Galaxy is using a "chemical-plant", in opposition the the "bio-plant" of the Frontier, and other Fleets. So it sounds to me it isn't exactly built around the same technology, and Galaxy being a "chemical type" doesn't have all these natural environments like seas and forest.

-Sergorn

I wonder if it's a clamshell colony, or more similar to the diamond shaped ones shown in the first episode's 'story thus far' segment?

They just have no idea what they're talking about. MF has about the same level of fanservice as gundam 00 and way less than a show like BSG. And it's NO comparison compared to actual loli anime like Love Hina or the current kanokon.

Yes, the level of fan service is pretty tame compared to some other animes, but for a Macross, it most consistent and constantly present. There is a fair amount of boobage and already a few sexually suggestive scenes, all in the first five episodes, most of which can't be chalked up to simply being artful. Yes, Minmei and Sara were shown nekkid-- but as far as I understand it, the Japanese don't connect nudity with sexuality quite as strongly was Westerners do, and the tone there was more "artful" (though tittlilating) than it was sexual. Now there was some holographic nudity in a somewhat more sexual context in Mac+, and a few sexually suggestive situations, but it didn't felt quite as omnipresent. In Frontier, we seem to be getting 2-3 boobage jiggles/jokes per episode, and privately, we seem to find Ranka and Sheryl in a state of semi-undress on a semi-regular basis. And in the latest episode, we have an apparently aroused Sheryl to a vibrating phone (complete with classic blushing cheeks indicating such in hentai anime), and her grinding against Alto in a somewhat sexually suggestive manner from a provacative camera angle. I cannot find any other scene that compares in the rest of Macross. I'm thinking all this is just indicative of both our and the Japanese's more explicitly sexual culture today, but let's be honest here-- although it hasn't shown explicit nipplelage (yet), Frontier feature much more pervasive, consistent, and gratuitous sexuality than most Macrosses-- especially SDF, however tame it is compared to what else is out there.

Edited by Sundown

are you similarly ashamed to show your friends BSG? Or do you feel dirty watching reruns of smallville? I'm thinking specifically of the episode where lana swims around in her lingerie.

I'm not watching, but I am of the reactions I get trying to explain it to anyone I know trying to show them something good. Never watched Smallville, and how it seems they've been milking it for all its worth doesn't appeal to me. I just don't like how the fanservice stuff is so forced sometimes. BSG is somewhat real, people living so close together for so long you're going to see some flesh, but it's just cheap laughs in my opinion for this stuff. That doesn't really help out.

Subtitle file is in the first post.

Yeah but what I mean is I don't know nearly enough japanese to know what's going on, just some emotion in the tone of voice and whatnot. It feels more like reading spoilers until I can actually watch it for myself understanding the dialog instead of gettting bits and pieces here. I don't like that disconnect but waiting for the sub release means I'm way behind on the discussion. Nothing I can really say other than I don't like it.

How old is the Galaxy ship? It's only 12 lightyears away? I thought it was heading toward the center of the Galaxy (isn't that where Megaroad went?). The Frontier must not be very far out then!!! Why would the Galaxy be an older chemical plant design then? By the numbering scheme, it seems that the Macross 7 fleet (37th colonial fleet) is even more advanced than Frontier (25th colonial fleet)...if Frontier has a bio-plant, then Galaxy must be a really really really old Megaroad type ship.

From what it sounds like, Galaxy is an older very industrial, metal, dystopian future kind of ship. Sort of like the SDF-1/Megaroad with only concrete cities and some fake grass inside. No sky, only a metal ceiling, etc.

Who knows how much we'll see of the Macross Galaxy fleet, if anything (but wreckage). The opening episode map showed Macross Galaxy and Macross Frontier (apparently the Macross 21 and Macross 25 fleets, respectively) both travelling towards the galactic core along differing routes; Frontier left from Earth, while Galaxy left from Eden. The map also showed only two symbols depicting colony fleets launched from these planets: the Megaroad-class ships and the New Macross-class ships, with both Frontier and Galaxy being represented by the latter.

Now, what does this mean? Macross 7 and Macross 25 / Frontier both have the same class of big UNS/NUNS battleship leading the fleet, but the actual fleet composition was very different. Macross 7 had one big city ship and several large colony ships, protected by smaller space warships; Frontier is the one huge city ship and trailing Island modules, protected by what might be a much larger military fleet. galaxy may or may not have a New Macross class carrier attached to a wholly different type of colony ship with fewer parks and more malls. It seems like each colony fleet is like a nation unto itself; think of our North American continetn with huge swaths of undevelopped land, versus the largely tamed and controlled urban sprawl of Japan.

Mark

Yeah but what I mean is I don't know nearly enough japanese to know what's going on, just some emotion in the tone of voice and whatnot. It feels more like reading spoilers until I can actually watch it for myself understanding the dialog instead of gettting bits and pieces here. I don't like that disconnect but waiting for the sub release means I'm way behind on the discussion. Nothing I can really say other than I don't like it.

There are several players that will overlay the subtitle file over the video as you watch it. The subtitle files he was referring to are timed, in that the lines will come up at the right time and everything. It's the same as watching a subtitled release in avi or somethign (kind of - let's not split hairs).

I use Gom player, but there are several others out there that have this feature, all of them I'm aware of being 100% free. Open your raw, point at subtitle file, enjoy.

And I think the Gattai sub release has been out for a few days, anyway. :)

Who knows how much we'll see of the Macross Galaxy fleet, if anything (but wreckage). The opening episode map showed Macross Galaxy and Macross Frontier (apparently the Macross 21 and Macross 25 fleets, respectively) both travelling towards the galactic core along differing routes; Frontier left from Earth, while Galaxy left from Eden. The map also showed only two symbols depicting colony fleets launched from these planets: the Megaroad-class ships and the New Macross-class ships, with both Frontier and Galaxy being represented by the latter.

Now, what does this mean? Macross 7 and Macross 25 / Frontier both have the same class of big UNS/NUNS battleship leading the fleet, but the actual fleet composition was very different. Macross 7 had one big city ship and several large colony ships, protected by smaller space warships; Frontier is the one huge city ship and trailing Island modules, protected by what might be a much larger military fleet. galaxy may or may not have a New Macross class carrier attached to a wholly different type of colony ship with fewer parks and more malls. It seems like each colony fleet is like a nation unto itself; think of our North American continetn with huge swaths of undevelopped land, versus the largely tamed and controlled urban sprawl of Japan.

Mark

Wow, that's some attention to detail Mark. I never noticed that the Megaroad and Macross ships had different symbols, you're right that Frontier and Galaxy both have the clamshell ship logo on their markers on the star map. As humans probably share their R&D data even though they are separated by so much distance (thusly the shared Valkyrie designs) Earth and Eden probably both developed the new Macross type clamshell ships but perhaps as Eden is the more frontier planet, they didn't have the research for the bio-plant yet when the Galaxy launched as it might have been designed on Earth and not released until the 25th fleet (Frontier). Thusly Galaxy launched much earlier with the chemical plant.

I would probably say that Frontier is more the ship with undeveloped land and urban sprawl as it's based on San Franciso (thankfully, it's not as designed after Alberta's urban sprawl haha, that'd be totally depressing) and Galaxy might be a more metropolitan urban density type model like Tokyo or something with some artificial parks and artifical lakes (Arbour Lake).

I think that we'll see the Galaxy still around, despite being heavily damaged. In the manga, the VF-17 pilots are still defending it and saying that they can't get that close to Galaxy and need to push the Vajra away when SMS folds in. Hey...why is SMS doing everything? Where is the military? The contractor should only have a dozen or more units. Where is the vast Macross military that should be with the Frontier? Why is SMS the main force going to rescue Galaxy?

Jeremy

Edited by ComicKaze

In the manga, the VF-17 pilots are still defending it and saying that they can't get that close to Galaxy and need to push the Vajra away when SMS folds in. Hey...why is SMS doing everything? Where is the military? The contractor should only have a dozen or more units. Where is the vast Macross military that should be with the Frontier? Why is SMS the main force going to rescue Galaxy?

At least in the case of the Frontier-specific elements of NUNS, maybe once the Vajra threat was confirmed its heads figured "Okaaaay...we need to start rolling out heavier weaponry for our folks if we've got stuff like that coming at us. Hey, SMS guys, can we borrow those VF-25 designs for a minute? Thanks...start the assembly line, Shinobu!" As for the Galaxy-side folks...that probably depends on how hosed the Galaxy fleet is, I guess.

post-7714-1210036931_thumb.png

Edited by Bill C.

Do we know for fact whether or not there is a significant size difference between Frontier and City 7? If they are the same size, then City 7 is a much more urban environment, as it has that huge city rising up towards the ceiling of the dome. Galaxy might be more like that, maybe?

Even if we don't see much action from SMS in the next episode, I hope we do finally get to see the Galaxy's VF-171s in battroid mode defending the fleet.

The VF-171 seriously needs some more air time.

Graham

Wonder what's causing the delay with the AiA sub? They were pretty quick with the other episodes.

Graham

I actually put out a few posts, asking the few subbers who have been posting here to take some extra time with their release, in the name of getting it right (accuracy over speed). I am hoping the delay means we may see the best Frontier sub release yet from any group.

Is there a website that is uploading the manga?

Yes, I've heard rumors of this too, I heard from the grapevine that the website you are looking for is something called Macross World. You might have to google that one, I have no idea what the address is.

I believe they have a forum section there too. I think there's a section called Movies and TV Series. If I recall correctly, there's some obscure poster named "Gram" or "Grey Ham" who is scanning those mangas.

Edited by ComicKaze