Macross Frontier Episode 3 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 3 Rating  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How was Epsiode 3 (Rating)

• Positive (Shelters are a great place to get to know girls)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (I don't like jailbait or the Britney-wannabe)

With all this talk of M:F being too rehash, if anything... I hope Macross F solidifies the notion to this generation that Macross is MACROSS and not Robotech. That while all Robotech can do is make a crummy 90 minute special 20 years after, Macross can finally branch out of that shadow, and show for it with an amazing series that expands that universe.

Maybe it will finally open some peoples eyes that Robotech is a bastardization and finally wake up... hey I still know people who don't believe.

With all this talk of M:F being too rehash, if anything... I hope Macross F solidifies the notion to this generation that Macross is MACROSS and not Robotech. That while all Robotech can do is make a crummy 90 minute special 20 years after, Macross can finally branch out of that shadow, and show for it with an amazing series that expands that universe.

Maybe it will finally open some peoples eyes that Robotech is a bastardization and finally wake up... hey I still know people who don't believe.

They were the first to get their "Obsequious Toady Badge" at the Harmony Gold booth? :rolleyes:

It is a pretty big buildup for their origins/motives. It had better be good.

Taksraven

Hey, waiting four episodes to give the first peice of the puzzle is NOTHING compared to Macross 7...it was EPISODE FREAKIN' 37 before they explained the Protodeviln.

If anything, I'm worried that MF might give away everything too quickly...

Hey, waiting four episodes to give the first peice of the puzzle is NOTHING compared to Macross 7...it was EPISODE FREAKIN' 37 before they explained the Protodeviln.

If anything, I'm worried that MF might give away everything too quickly...

True enough!

SDFM revealed the giants almost immediately, while the PD were left until nearly the end.

I also thought Brera Sterne is a girl... but the voice actor is male (Souichirou Hoshi).

It's not uncommon for japanese VAs to play a character of different gender ( usually female VAs doing young male voices, but the opposite could still happen :lol::wacko: ) so this Brera Sterne character could still be a girl, at least that's what I think so far from the OP images.

It's not uncommon for japanese VAs to play a character of different gender ( usually female VAs doing young male voices, but the opposite could still happen :lol::wacko: ) so this Brera Sterne character could still be a girl, at least that's what I think so far from the OP images.

Well, it seems to me that the fact that the character has NO chest what-so-ever would be a glaring hint. :D

And before you say something about Ranka being the same way, HE looks a good bit older than her. :p

Flat two tone rendering of 3D Models is called "Toon Shading". "Cel Shading" refers to coloring animation frames by painting on top of transperant "cel"luloid sheets.

Technically no anime has been "cel shaded" in a few years now, they just scan in the pencil drawings and color them on the computer now due to the rising cost of plastics.

I think you and most people are confused with the "cel shading" term.

What you think to be celshading is is actually a very simple term, "ink-and-paint", which is to ink the scenes then colour it with paint on the cel. Nowadays all this is done digitally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_animation

But this is OT. ^_^

we LOVE variable on variable...

Oooh, I love it when you start talking dirty, Zinsexah. You saucy devil! :p;):lol:

Now, I demand more Obsequious Toady Badges in this thread :)

Holocause

Personally, I don't really care what the HG fanbase thinks. Macross has always been the real deal, even if it hasn't always been at it's best. Robotech is a 20 year old mistake that should have gone away with Star Blazers, Warriors of the Wind and all the other bastardizations of anime. But I welcome stuff like Shadow Chronicles. It's so poor a production it only appeals to a nostalgia fanbase and few others. We'll never see anything remotely as good as the likes of DYRL or Macross Plus come out of the Robotech franchise, so that's all that need be said. Hopefully Macross Frontier proves itself and only helps to drive the point home further.

Edited by Mr March

I don't know if it was addressed in the previous thread, but why does Michael have Zentraedi ears in the intro but not in the show.

I got a theory, and it comes from that building. "Griffith" Observatory?! (best Guts impression GRIFFITH!!" And he has way awesome skills?! It's obvious - Michael's an Apostle. The ears are apart of his transformed state.

I don't know if it was addressed in the previous thread, but why does Michael have Zentraedi ears in the intro but not in the show.

I got a theory, and it comes from that building. "Griffith" Observatory?! (best Guts impression GRIFFITH!!" And he has way awesome skills?! It's obvious - Michael's an Apostle. The ears are apart of his transformed state.

...And Luca is TOTALLY Rickert!

But the question remains...who's Casca? Sheryl or Alto...?

Oooh, I love it when you start talking dirty, Zinsexah. You saucy devil! :p;):lol:

Now, I demand more Obsequious Toady Badges in this thread :)

Holocause

Personally, I don't really care what the HG fanbase thinks. Macross has always been the real deal, even if it hasn't always been at it's best. Robotech is a 20 year old mistake that should have gone away with Star Blazers, Warriors of the Wind and all the other bastardizations of anime. But I welcome stuff like Shadow Chronicles. It's so poor a production it only appeals to a nostalgia fanbase and few others. We'll never see anything remotely as good as the likes of DYRL or Macross Plus come out of the Robotech franchise, so that's all that need be said. Hopefully Macross Frontier proves itself and only helps to drive the point home further.

Dude, Shadow Chronicles is WAAAY better than Macross Frontier! The CG in MF is so detailed and finely rendered that it clashes with the traditional 2D animation...whereas in Shadow Chronicles, the CG they use ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE Anime Friend circa 1983. So it fits better.

(I better get at least FIVE Obsequious Today Badges now...I feel like I need a shower after saying that...

...but no matter how hard I scrub, I can't seem to cleanse my soul...)

Dude, Shadow Chronicles is WAAAY better than Macross Frontier! The CG in MF is so detailed and finely rendered that it clashes with the traditional 2D animation...whereas in Shadow Chronicles, the CG they use ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE Anime Friend circa 1983. So it fits better.

hmmm NO :lol:

New guy here, but I just wanted to post my own thoughts on this episode and series in general.

For the bad guys, I guess all of us here are pretty much in the dark on what the Vajira guys are or want. Personally, I think that the blond guy in a blue suit might be one of the enemies but thats up for speculation. Got some pictures to show who I'm talking about here and here.

And on a personal note, I find it kind of sad that Minmay never got Hikaru in the end. I mean, deep down, she was a really nice girl. If anything, we might expect this series to have Alto and Ranka together in the end or leave it all ambiguous and unresolved like Macross 7. Personally, I'd rather like to see the professional singer (Sheryl) get the guy this time. She may be snobbish and too much of a star but maybe she can be nice in her own way. Just because she's an idol doesn't mean she has to be single all her life. Man, I am reading way too much into this! :lol:

Anyway, this has gone pretty long and I'm digressing already. Tell me what you guys think too! :D

fellow pinoy!! :)

glad to have you on board. relatively new here too.

yup, this new enemy is so interesting. i'm quite excited to find out what this secrecy about them of the SMS is all about. how do they tie in with the whole protoculture thing, i wonder.

as for the original love triangle, i'll agree with you. i think the opinion differs depending largely (but not solely) on whether the person watched macross or robotech first. if you watched robotech, there more likelihood that you'll be happy minmei got left behind. on the other hand, if it's macrosss there's a tinge of sadness seeing her walk away singing sayonara. just my opinion. :)

but the thing is, we're not even sure who is the parallel to who. is minmei ranka or sheryl? personally, i think they're both minmei. ranka was minmei before she became an idol. sheryl was when she got caught up into stardom already. (ok minmei fans, granted minmei wasn't that much of a b!tch, but it's still a comparison.) :)

(I better get at least FIVE Obsequious Today Badges now...I feel like I need a shower after saying that...

holy crrap, there's a robotech virus spreading, and it just hit gubaba. what hope does any of us have against this outbreak???

hahaha. :)

dude, multiple showers might not be enough after what you said. something like that STAYS. you might have to take a Gattaca bath. ;)

I bow to thy would-be trollishness, for thou hath spoken as thine most hideous of toadies to be reckoned with. I bequeath to thee, thy Obsequious Toady Badges. Long may you curse the name Macross! :p:lol::wacko:

The sad truth is, I've seen people with that opinion on the net. Let's hope our sarcastic banter is all this message board ever sees of that kind of talk :)

Ok, I'm going to ask again because I have yet to understand. I have looked for it on Wikipedia and if it's not there then it CAN'T be important, but......

WHAT THE FRECK IS ANIME FRIEND? :p

Anime Friend was a korean studio which handled some of the animation aspects of the original Macross series to save costs. Essentially whenever you look at a episode of Macross that looks butt-ugly and terribly animated (Max & Milia knife fight I'm looking at you), you can pretty assume it came from Anime Friend. (I'm not sure but I believe they're the one who did the "Korean Macross" too :p)

-Sergorn

WHAT THE FRECK IS ANIME FRIEND? :p

Anime Friend was a Korean animation company utilized to help animate the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross. As a low cost animation studio, their animation skills were notably inferior to that of Studio Nue and the Anime Friend episodes of the SDF Macross are infamous for poor animation quality and numerous animation errors. As such, the term "Anime Friend" is a running joke on this message board as an appropriate insult for the poor animation of other criticized anime.

EDIT: Whoops, beaten to the punch :)

EDIT #2: There is a thread made by Renato that corrects the information I've posted here. I'd suggest reading his excellent topic on the subject:

The Real story of SDF Macross, AnimeFriend and StarPro

Enjoy.

Edited by Mr March

Anime Friend was a Korean animation company utilized to help animate the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross. As a low cost animation studio, their animation skills were notably inferior to that of Studio Nue and the Anime Friend episodes of the SDF Macross are infamous for poor animation quality and numerous animation errors. As such, the term "Anime Friend" is a running joke on this message board as an appropriate insult for the poor animation of other criticized anime.

EDIT: Whoops, beaten to the punch :)

So I guess Anime Friend did the animation for Robotech TSC. :p

Edited by Macross007

This episode was kinda "meh" for me. Did no one care to hear how Gilliam died anymore? It was a beautiful episode, and fun, but a lot of it felt very familiar and predictable... it was all kind of a "dangle the carrot" episode. "Oh, so you want to know who the Varja are? Tune in next week!" Ozma practically said that. I also think it's pretty rude to go to a hospital, find a guy who narrowly escaped death, and then yell at him angrily about his poor psuedo parenting abilities. That definitely felt like a forced scene to keep the plot chugging (so in that respect, I forgive it). I wasn't too fond of the Leon angle because the girl was cute and that guy is creepy. I like his style though... "I'm off work, do me." So wishing I had a hot secretary right now (not that that girl was his secretary at all). So I'm not saying it was a bad episode but it didn't do much to rock my world. I'm guessing the next episode will have some scenes straight from Hikaru's training episode. I'm not too over all the similarites to the original but I'm also afraid about it staying fresh (of course, I understand the average viewer isn't as versed with the original as we are).

it was all kind of a "dangle the carrot" episode. "Oh, so you want to know who the Varja are? Tune in next week!"

I'm confused. What you are saying is, you'd prefer Kawamori just release a plot summary of the show with some cool mecha pictures? No need to go through this whole television series nonsense?

I'm confused. What you are saying is, you'd prefer Kawamori just release a plot summary of the show with some cool mecha pictures? No need to go through this whole television series nonsense?

I could always ask RDM to tell me who the final Cylon is and spare me the weeks of waiting... <_<

I would treat that scene more as Ozma knew Alto wanted to do something more. He could have told Alto right then and there but it won't have done Alto any good. Alto would continue looking on without a way to do what he wants to do. Ozma gave Alto a chance. Ozma may not even know what the Vajra are but the least he can do is help Alto find the answer to his question or perhaps all of their questions.

I don't see how you can look at pictures of Stern and think its a chick. He doesn't look like one in the opening, and he doesn't look like one in the design sketch.

This episode was kinda "meh" for me. Did no one care to hear how Gilliam died anymore? It was a beautiful episode, and fun, but a lot of it felt very familiar and predictable... it was all kind of a "dangle the carrot" episode. "Oh, so you want to know who the Varja are? Tune in next week!" Ozma practically said that. I also think it's pretty rude to go to a hospital, find a guy who narrowly escaped death, and then yell at him angrily about his poor psuedo parenting abilities. That definitely felt like a forced scene to keep the plot chugging (so in that respect, I forgive it). I wasn't too fond of the Leon angle because the girl was cute and that guy is creepy. I like his style though... "I'm off work, do me." So wishing I had a hot secretary right now (not that that girl was his secretary at all). So I'm not saying it was a bad episode but it didn't do much to rock my world. I'm guessing the next episode will have some scenes straight from Hikaru's training episode. I'm not too over all the similarites to the original but I'm also afraid about it staying fresh (of course, I understand the average viewer isn't as versed with the original as we are).

When I watched that sequence I thought I was gonna see another "Ozma Knuckle Sandwich," and then Alto gets booted out of the hospital by Mikhail and Luca. :ph34r: No EMOs allowed here Mr. Alto. :rolleyes:

I'm still in the missed opportunities camp on this episode. The whole being trapped bit seemed like a great place for some character development. As it is, it was just an excuse to see some T&A. Then again, If it had been exactly like SDF/DYRL it would be just more of the same.

And what would Macross be without another pseudo-rape scene. Geez.

As someone was saying, it is pretty cool that they basically have the DYRL Minmay and the SDF Minmay in the show in Ranka and Sheryl.

Overall though, I felt this episode lacked any real thru-line. Felt like it was just meandering with no sense of where it was going.