Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Plastic Models

Graham

'Stickers', as the name implies stick, i.e. they use some form of adhesive backing (glue) to adhere (stick) to the model.

'Decals', on the oher hand is commonly considered to mean 'water slide decals', i.e. the type of markings that come with traditional model kits that you need to dip in water so they come off the backing paper.

Decals are thinner than stickers and give a more professional look, but are tricker to apply and can be quite fragile.

Graham

Ok that makes a little more sense, so with decals you have to dip them in water and then they will stick to the model? (just making sure I get it).

So this model comes with both stickers and decals or just one type?

Also Morpheus, great pics, the model still looks really great even without and coverings!

hiya, im interested in getting this model kit, but was wondering if its hard to put together? is it snap fit? how does it look without paint? anyone have a pic of it just built and decals applied? =]

For goodness sake, just go back a few pages on this thread and read! Your questions have been answered many times already with plenty of links and pics to help you.

Maybe there ought to be a sticky FAQ for this kit.

Edited by Vifam7

HLJ is saying because I have other items on backorder is the reason I did not get the VF-25 that was order on August 8th.

Yet, the only thing that was ordered was the single model without anything else????

Sound familiar. If you cancel the order like they direct you to according their guidance then their system reallot the available item to other customers. You end up with nothing. In some cases you can't even re-order the other items which where on hold before because the shopping cart don't list discontinued items.

Edited by TSP

That model kit makes me wish I didn't stink at building models, otherwise I would snap that up insted of the toy.

Why not give it a try? Bandai kits are snap fit so they are much easier to put together and they come pre-colored. It's not like you have to glue, putty, sand, and paint like most other plastic kits.

Snap it together, put the stickers on, and you're done. Only tool you'd need would be a sprue cutter and maybe a hobby knife.

It'll still look pretty decent.

Edited by Vifam7

I suck at models too, but I have always loved the Bandai models. I had the whole Gundam Wing 1/100 collection and put them all together and they turned out great even for a novice like me. If i can do it, any one can.

I have only completed one model in my life and am generally scared of the hobby (and enamored). But I have gotten some kits lately as there are so many great kits out there. But this one is so nice I figure that I just have to try it even if it will take an eon for me to complete. I have started by practicing on a bandai glaug kit, which is much more simple, just so that I have a tiny bit of practice before starting this one.

But for those of you who are not model builders but rather toy collectors, this one is a snap kit and does come with stickers and can be built without, sanding, priming, masking, painting, decaling, and coating. Of course it will look better if it is done like that but those of us that are noob can still probably get away with this kit. I would like to encourage others to try. I am going to try at least.

The most major issue for me though is time. And that is major because I work full time job, and freelance on top of that and take care of my toddler son half the week so time is like pure gold. And time away from freelance work is money lost. BUT STILL I will spend the 5 -8 hours that it may take me to build this because it is such a good sculpt and I love the mecha. Of course I would have rather spent $200 for a toy version, which would have "cost" less in terms of time spent building the model, but so far the DX does not cut it for me (I am a battroid lover) and I am impatient.

That is my spam/contribution for now.

I'd just like to point out that most current Yamato toys are "unpainted plastic with many snap-fit parts". Their seams aren't puttied in, they have no paint except for a few stripes, and they're mostly not glued together--either snap/pressed together parts or screws. (and many larger Bandai kits use screws too)

Just something to think about.

Now off to add even MORE info to the first post. (though many of the questions asked in the last 20 posts are already answered there)

are you sure that Guma used stickers and not decals? they look like decals to me. and what exactly are foil decals?

I'm mainly basing my decal vs sticker opinions on pics like these: http://gamu-toys.info/gangu/pura/r3/mf01/DSC_4056.JPG (ventral fin) and http://gamu-toys.info/gangu/pura/r3/mf01/DSC_4150.JPG (tailfin) A water-slide decal over gloss black plastic shouldn't look like that. But a sticker would look just like that.

Foil stickers are printed on thin silver mylar (foil) instead of a clear sheet. G1 Transformers almost universally have foil stickers as do most SD and HG Gundams. The VF-25 includes a small sheet of foil stickers as well, which must be used in conjunction with one of the other sheets. (unless you want to paint those areas).

Now, could someone translate the painting guide? It's much more complex than I expected:

I'm mainly basing my decal vs sticker opinions on pics like these: http://gamu-toys.info/gangu/pura/r3/mf01/DSC_4056.JPG (ventral fin) and http://gamu-toys.info/gangu/pura/r3/mf01/DSC_4150.JPG (tailfin) A water-slide decal over gloss black plastic shouldn't look like that. But a sticker would look just like that.

Foil stickers are printed on thin silver mylar (foil) instead of a clear sheet. G1 Transformers almost universally have foil stickers as do most SD and HG Gundams. The VF-25 includes a small sheet of foil stickers as well, which must be used in conjunction with one of the other sheets. (unless you want to paint those areas).

Now, could someone translate the painting guide? It's much more complex than I expected:

Here's my translation, from left to right, top to bottom.

Update: Should be 24 colors you'll need to have to make 20 mixes of colors for the VF-25.

vf25.htm

Edited by velocity7

What other website can be trusted to buy Japanese models that will ship to the US?

HLJ is saying because I have other items on backorder is the reason I did not get the VF-25 that was order on August 8th.

Yet, the only thing that was ordered was the single model without anything else????

Beaching done :angry:

Nice Photo, The view of the Battroid down the gunpod looks great.

I went with rainbowten. I had originally pre-ordered with HLJ, but had an issue with their customer service and cancelled. I'm glad I did after reading some of the nasty things that have happened lately. Rainbow Ten shipped my order the day after the VF-25's release date, and the price was quite low as well(3600 yen).

Shipping via EMS to North America(Mexico) was 3600 yen, and I ordered quite a few things. They are really kind and efficient too. You can't go wrong with those guys.

Unfortunately, they are listing the VF-25 as sold out as well...

The Ozma looks awesome.

Serious props to the Bandai VF-25 model design team. They have absolutely kicked the asses of the Bandai 1/60 design team.

Graham

Agreed. Like...what's the deal with that? The model came out looking much better than i expected. Now i have to get these. :angry:

Agreed. Like...what's the deal with that? The model came out looking much better than i expected. Now i have to get these. :angry:

Well, the kit designers at Bandai have been doing this for a long time already, and with new technology constantly being incorporated into kits, they'll have no trouble applying these to Macross kits as well. I mean, just look at how the Master Grade has evolved over the years, the engineering design put into the models...

On a side note, my friend was able to grab me a VF-25F on the release date (it was really selling like pancakes she told me...), and she was relieved to have gotten one when she did coz when she got back to the shops the next day, they all hung OUT OF STOCK banners/signs for VF-25F. It'll take a long time before I get it though, she won't be home till about 2nd week of October... a little more patience for me then :ph34r:

On a side note, my friend was able to grab me a VF-25F on the release date (it was really selling like pancakes she told me...), and she was relieved to have gotten one when she did coz when she got back to the shops the next day, they all hung OUT OF STOCK banners/signs for VF-25F. It'll take a long time before I get it though, she won't be home till about 2nd week of October... a little more patience for me then :ph34r:

Great news, so we can expect more Macross kit from the 1/72 line

Great news, so we can expect more Macross kit from the 1/72 line

Definitely looking forward to more Macross kits indeed :D We all know the Ozma Custom is coming out soon... After quite sometime buying/building plamo kits, I learned that with Bandai, it's not a question of IF they will release it, but WHEN :ph34r:

Though I'm not too sold on the idea that they will make a separate release of the Armor/FAST packs. Just look at how they released separate versions of MG Strike with different packs, and worse, different colors :blink: I won't be surprised if they produce separate releases for VF-25F Super, Armored VF-25S, etc...

It doesn't mean I hate Bandai for that though, far from it :D This is business after all, and they're just trying to cash in on the merchandise while it's popular. Strike iron while it's hot :ph34r: As for us, we can always choose NOT to buy releases that we know might be redundant to our collection already B))

Well, the kit designers at Bandai have been doing this for a long time already, and with new technology constantly being incorporated into kits, they'll have no trouble applying these to Macross kits as well. I mean, just look at how the Master Grade has evolved over the years, the engineering design put into the models...

Well the last transformable valkyries made by Bandai leave alot to be desired, like the Macross 7 and Macross 2 line. And the initial prototype photos of the kit was so-so....not that great.

Though I'm not too sold on the idea that they will make a separate release of the Armor/FAST packs. Just look at how they released separate versions of MG Strike with different packs, and worse, different colors :blink: I won't be surprised if they produce separate releases for VF-25F Super, Armored VF-25S, etc...

Bandai does it like that and the formula works for them since the gunpla community is thriving. Besides dun think its financially viable for them to sell JUST the armored/fast pack kits....at least i never seen Bandai doing such things before. Maybe they should, like how Kotobukiya makes option part sets for their Armored Core line.

Well the last transformable valkyries made by Bandai leave alot to be desired, like the Macross 7 and Macross 2 line. And the initial prototype photos of the kit was so-so....not that great.

I guess they learned their lesson now, seeing as Hasegawa was profiting quite well from Macross kits :D Bandai probably thought, "Hey we're being left behind, time to catch up!" Now that I think about it, their reissues of the other Macross kits might be a way to "test the waters" so to speak. But I digress...

Bandai does it like that and the formula works for them since the gunpla community is thriving. Besides dun think its financially viable for them to sell JUST the armored/fast pack kits....at least i never seen Bandai doing such things before. Maybe they should, like how Kotobukiya makes option part sets for their Armored Core line.

Well, for AC kits it works since, as far as I know (I haven't played AC games yet mind...), ACs are extremely modular in design, so that one weapon set could be used by several models... Same idea as FAST/Armor Packs for VFs though. Who knows, we can always hope that Bandai go that route for Macross F kits :lol:

And I do hope they make re-hashes of the past VF kits. Perfect transformation VF-1 kit, anyone? ^_^

I guess they learned their lesson now, seeing as Hasegawa was profiting quite well from Macross kits :D Bandai probably thought, "Hey we're being left behind, time to catch up!" Now that I think about it, their reissues of the other Macross kits might be a way to "test the waters" so to speak. But I digress...

Ofcourse one has to realize that the Mac2 and Mac7 kits were designed before even the first HGUC or MG Gunpla. Hasegawa has nothing to do with Bandai having to catch up or learning a lesson. Perhaps the success of the Hase kits may have convinced Bandai to sponsor another Macross anime but that's pure conjecture.

They release those old kits more as a nostalgia gift to a contingent of old school fans who actually want them. Kinda like how they re-release the ancient early 80s Gundam models even though HGUC and MG kits are readily available.

And I do hope they make re-hashes of the past VF kits. Perfect transformation VF-1 kit, anyone? ^_^

It could happen. It all depends on how well the Frontier Valk kits sell and whether Kawamori wants to continue the Macross franchise on the heels of Frontier.

Edited by Vifam7

*has crazy dreams of seeing these kits stocked next to all the bitty gundam kits in the local walmart*

Given that I don't see myself buying the bigger 1/60 for a while, I'm probably going to try and gather quite a collection of these. The only thing I worry about (besides the landing gear, but I'd rather display it flying anyway) is that I have yet to see anyone get the wings to be level. I know it's part of the transformation, but the fact that even those incredibly detailed builds couldn't get the wings level in fighter mode has me a bit worried.

I'll probably build it out of the box first, but I worry that I'll screw something up by hacking away at the wing joint to get them to lay flat.

It could happen. It all depends on how well the Frontier Valk kits sell and whether Kawamori wants to continue the Macross franchise on the heels of Frontier.

hypnotoad.gif

Watch Frontier

Buy Blue ray DVD

Buy Macross kits

Buy Frontier OST

Kawamori owns your life from now on.

:rolleyes:

finally, i bought VF 25 1/72 at malaysia shoping mall.. its quite good price ^_^

How much and which shopping mall? I wonder if i should wait for the "inevitable bandai price reduction" that usually happens for Gundam kits.

I'd just like to point out that most current Yamato toys are "unpainted plastic with many snap-fit parts". Their seams aren't puttied in, they have no paint except for a few stripes, and they're mostly not glued together--either snap/pressed together parts or screws. (and many larger Bandai kits use screws too)

Just something to think about.

Now off to add even MORE info to the first post. (though many of the questions asked in the last 20 posts are already answered there)

and yet the amount of painting and tempo printing that goes into a Yamato valk, and the resulting apearence once finished are still light years ahead of what I can do, even on a bandai snap kit. (don't believe me? I've got the pictures to prove it...)

*has crazy dreams of seeing these kits stocked next to all the bitty gundam kits in the local walmart*

Given that I don't see myself buying the bigger 1/60 for a while, I'm probably going to try and gather quite a collection of these. The only thing I worry about (besides the landing gear, but I'd rather display it flying anyway) is that I have yet to see anyone get the wings to be level. I know it's part of the transformation, but the fact that even those incredibly detailed builds couldn't get the wings level in fighter mode has me a bit worried.

I'll probably build it out of the box first, but I worry that I'll screw something up by hacking away at the wing joint to get them to lay flat.

Are the wings supposed to be level in the original art?

Patience dudes! I bet we bit harder on the Macross hook than Bandai anticipated!

There WILL be more kits and variants - I'm sure. In fact, this delay is a good sign they are probably re-running the line and packaging. All the other posts about stores running out is a good sign.

For those that are afraid to snap a Bandai kit together - don't knock it 'till you try it. They are as easy as you could ask for. Easier than putting your kids toys together :lol: - MT

I have started by practicing on a bandai glaug kit, which is much more simple, just so that I have a tiny bit of practice before starting this one.

Hey Miriya,

That Bandai Glaug you've started on for practice is probably going to be a disappointment and much harder to build than these new generation of Bandai kits. They really have improved a great deal over the last 20 years! I remember those old Bandai macross kits (re-packaged ARII or IMAI) from my childhood, huge seams, parts not lining up, seam lines running through major details, joints either too loose or too tight). Don't judge the new kit by your experiences with this 20yr old kit! I'm sure it will be much better!

I'm personally going to wait till the dust settles a bit (too much hype and not enough funds at the moment) and see if Bandai release a version 1.5 (burned by their Yukikaze kits before!) or if there are going to be any aftermarket or photo-etched parts. Probably going to modify it to be permanently in aircraft flight mode (to avoid those nasty landing gears).

Although I'm open to doing a step-by-step buildup thread if anyone wants to donate a VF-25 kit to me! :lol: hehe...

Hey Miriya,

That Bandai Glaug you've started on for practice is probably going to be a disappointment and much harder to build than these new generation of Bandai kits. They really have improved a great deal over the last 20 years! I remember those old Bandai macross kits (re-packaged ARII or IMAI) from my childhood, huge seams, parts not lining up, seam lines running through major details, joints either too loose or too tight). Don't judge the new kit by your experiences with this 20yr old kit! I'm sure it will be much better!

Thank you WM Cheng. I appreciate your comment because the glaug is a bit of a pain. I have already applied the weathering wash and a clear coat on the sprues (turned out decent looking) and began putting the kit together last night. Right about what you said. Also the glaug is not a snap kit and I have discovered the ugliness of bad superglue applications. I will continue with this practice model and will post the terrifyingly ugly results on the boards. But thank you because it is refreshing to know that the messiah will be a better kit.