Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Plastic Models

Graham

Thanks UN Spacy for the video!

Those that guessed the coupled hand piece holds the arms together in jet mode win bonus points!

Can you say slow and painfull! Kawamori's designs get more complex as he gets older instead of visa-versa. I thought the -19 series was bad.

And to think, it only takes a split second in the anime :huh: - MT

Someone recorded the transformation process.

thanks for the vid. nice complex transformation... tricky that part where he was stowing the cockpit/fuselage. can anybody tell if the model was painted or just snapbuilt? seems like the guy had some paint on his fingers....

I wonder if Bandai is following the licencing agreement and not offivcial exporting the kits to HK, so that only parallel imports will make their way to HK. Or perhaps Bandai HK thinks that HK people only like Guncrap (which is probably true for 99.99%).
Looks like the DX VF-25 toy will join your collection earlier than the model kit. Due to what other modelers and hobby store owners told me I would say 99,9% of their customers buy Gundamn kits, pre-build models and PVC toys. That's why 99,9 % of all Hobby stores sell what the crowd demands while the rest of 0,1 % sells soft air guns and 12inch action figures. Ironically no one in HK offers special orders. It's buy what you see or search somewhere else. So the mass reduces their cravings to that what most stores offers. Edited by TSP

The strange thing is that most model shops usually stock some of the Macross Hasegawa kits along with some of the older Bandai Macross kits. Many toy or hobby shops stock Yamato Macross toys and some stock teh Bandai reissues.

Remembering back to 1995 when the Macross 7 1/144 and 1/100 models came out, there was no delay then.

I've seen a few model shops here in HK with fliers in the windows advertising the VF-25F.

While Gundam is more popular here, I think the reason for the delay may be the high demand for the VF-25F kit in Japan, rather than lack of interest in HK.

Graham

:lol: I Just got my kit today :lol:

Many thanks to Yui1107.

The store i went to here had 3 more on the shelf besides the one i purchased.

but i have not seen the kit at any of the LHS's.

a very nice kit from the looks of it.

will try it after i get a few Macross kits under my belt.

Evil

Thanks! But crap i think one of the decals got stuck to his left thumb while he was transforming it! :huh:

Or is it paint?

haha! yeah, I noticed that too, it was part of the red and back striping of the front plate, hehe, didn't want to say anything since I was thinking it was un spacy himself and didnt' want to diss him, hehehe

You can make out the "Antares" marking on the VF-27's leg really well there, even better than any shot I ever found in the anime. (tilt your head left and it'll make sense)

I just found an old Gundam Wing kit in the closet I never built, will practice some new techniques on it while waiting for my SAL-shipped VF-25 to arrive.

Damn, still no luck tracking down the elusive VF-25F kit here in HK.

I just went back to the model shop that last week had told me they would be getting it in today, only to be told that it has been delayed 1 more week until October 4. :(

Hong Kong is really getting shafted on these kits which is quite unusual. We usually get stuff ultra-fast.

I wonder if Bandai is following the licencing agreement and not offivcial exporting the kits to HK, so that only parallel imports will make their way to HK. Or perhaps Bandai HK thinks that HK people only like Guncrap (which is probably true for 99.99%).

Graham

Tons of Guncrap...I just went to Oriental188 un Wanchai and nothing. One shop even showed me some new Guncrap the moment I said "Bandai"...Called Animate (a chainstore) and they couldn't even say if they'd get it or not.

I guess there really is some issue at play! Guess I will have to keep waiting.

By the way, there are some construction tips on Hoby Japan's macross special, anybody who reads japanese can give us ignorants a helping hand? Got no scanner...otherwise I'd post the said pages here to share. Also, the VF-25S shown in the macross special IS the upcoming Bandai kit, not a custom mod. Of course, the expert modeller painted the entire kit, which made it look much better than the "snap the parts togeter and presto" thing I would be able to achieve.

Edited by regult

While Gundam is more popular here, I think the reason for the delay may be the high demand for the VF-25F kit in Japan, rather than lack of interest in HK.

Looks like it. I asked a reliable shop over here in Singapore, and it seems like it's been sold out in Japan. No more stock till the next re-issue. Oh well, perhaps by then I'll get the Ozma one instead =)

I open one of mine and putting together to see how it look, so far only got done with the front end. I can say it is design as well as many MG kit, but playing with it too much will surely break it. I would like the hip joint to be cast metal rather than ABS, and individual fingers would be great. Worst landing gears I've seen, but on par with Gundam kits.

Now that they have done it, I wish they go back to make 19, 21/22, that would be cool... please... somebody... :lol:

Another thought, there is not any way for pilot to get in/out in battroid mode is it? It bad enough to be in the a** of the mecha already.

Edited by Vince

Thank you Klam1020 !!!!

Those scans are awesome! I just paid for the magazine today through HLJ. I am sure that these scans will be very nice for those who are unable to get the mag. These pages are just gorgeous!

I love how it has some build up pics on how to complete the model. That will be very helpful for noob people like me.

That Monster looks awesome!!! Someone has to make those decals available so that we can do the mod too! Either that or Yamato make a Frontier version (unlikely due to licensing at this point though).

Very exciting stuff. Thanks.

Ok, I have a few translation requests:

1. http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?act=...st&id=58627 2nd row, the 2 right-most blocks. Seems to be something about dealing with foil stickers on the pelvis---that would be VERY helpful, as those will be required regardless of whether you choose water or clear stickers for the rest of the valk.

2. http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?act=...st&id=58625 The entire botom row. Something about reducing the appearance of sprue scars. But I have no idea what the 2nd pic is showing.

Ok, I have a few translation requests:

1. http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?act=...st&id=58627 2nd row, the 2 right-most blocks. Seems to be something about dealing with foil stickers on the pelvis---that would be VERY helpful, as those will be required regardless of whether you choose water or clear stickers for the rest of the valk.

It says that you should paint those gaps not covered by the stickers.

2. http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?act=...st&id=58625 The entire botom row. Something about reducing the appearance of sprue scars. But I have no idea what the 2nd pic is showing.

It says that you could reduce the appearance of sprue scars by using Gundam marker (of a similiar color to the plastic).

Thanks much for the translation----though I think painting the sprue scars is kinda cheating. :)

IMHO, the best method of dealing with them is to rub them down hard with your thumbnail. Try it, you'll be surprised how much of a difference it can make. Works on toys, too, including 1/60 Yamato plastic... If it's an injection-molded toy or model kit, you can probably rub down the sprue scars with your nail. Won't eliminate them, but can make a BIG difference--all depends on the color and composition of the plastic, how smoothly it was removed, etc. And you don't need to rub for a minute or anything, just a few secs will do it.

My point was the first half the article seems to be kind of a "guide for a simple build" for NOT painting the kit---just assembling it and adding on stickers, and gundam markering the lines. Not many HJ articles talk about basic parts removal, etc (unlike FSM).

Using paint on an "unpainted" assembly in an unpainted build is kinda self-contradictory. The whole point was to show how to make it look as good as possible without painting.

It's kind of like saying "if you don't want to paint the model with flat white paint to make it look like a real warmachine--you could just use flat clear paint over the white plastic". That's not really avoiding the whole "don't want to paint it" thing.

My point was the first half the article seems to be kind of a "guide for a simple build" for NOT painting the kit---just assembling it and adding on stickers, and gundam markering the lines. Not many HJ articles talk about basic parts removal, etc (unlike FSM).

Using paint on an "unpainted" assembly in an unpainted build is kinda self-contradictory. The whole point was to show how to make it look as good as possible without painting.

It's kind of like saying "if you don't want to paint the model with flat white paint to make it look like a real warmachine--you could just use flat clear paint over the white plastic". That's not really avoiding the whole "don't want to paint it" thing.

The Ozma kit I guess is slated to be released in Nov. I have a preorder of the 1/60 and I found one online vendor that carrys the Alto 1/72 kit.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for an online vendor that carry's the 1/72 model kit currrently and would carry the Ozma as well when put on preorder?

Again, I'm pretty new to Macross toy collecting. Any suggestions would be welcome.