1/60 perfect transforming vf-1 from yamato?

Shaggydog

agreed, which eliminates one complaint many had about the 1S head on the 48. Im wonderign if the neck will extended out like on the Zeros, making them small profile in Fighter mode, and giving a range of motion in Battroid

I hope so. I love that feature on the Zeroes. I'm also hoping the new 1/60 has a better collar system than the 1/48's.... that double twist collar bugs and it's one of main pet peeves with the design.

I doubt it - the head doesn't recess in fighter mode anymore than the 1/48.

I'm okay with the bigger intakes, even if they are a bit retcon (they are almost identical to the zero's). Makes the plane look less sleek, but worth it to hide those shoulders.

I am dissapointed that they didn't narrow the canopy a bit, to look more like the Hase 1/72 model. That feature on the 1/48 bugs me more than the drooping shoulders in fighter mode.

I noticed the skinnier legs and wider backpack (to facilitate the bigger arms I presume), somehow make the top view a bit less accurate - can someone post a comparison shot of the 1/60 magazine fighter top/isometric pic, with a 1/48 and lineart shot?

I am dissapointed that they didn't narrow the canopy a bit, to look more like the Hase 1/72 model. That feature on the 1/48 bugs me more than the drooping shoulders in fighter mode.

That's exactly how I felt too. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that about both the 1/48 and this new 1/60. Don't get me wrong still love both, but that was my least favorit thing about the 1/48...to me, the wide canopy looks too action figure vehicle-ish, and it looks like it's being carried over in this new design too.

Chris

after looking at the comparison pic of the heads... i don't like the new 1/60 1S head.... the head lasers are bigger and point more outward than the 1/48... That's kinda what bugged me about the original 1/60 1S head... The lasers were too big for the head... the 1/48 head looked perfect and proportionate...

the new 1/60 head looks like it has Princess Leia Ear muffs attached to the side of its head... I'm still not sold on the new 1/60's yet..

The ad in the scan was translated saying that the price point was 10,000 Yen which is about $87 and some change in USD.

For $100 shipped without fast packs, I would be willing to pay $120-$130 shipped w/FP. I'm hoping they will offer TV fast packs separate this time around, I would definitely buy them.

-Kyp

Damn, that's still kinda pricey for that scale. I remember paying less than a $100 for the 1/60's that came with super/strike armor and the VE/VT-1. And I'm sure these new versions aren't going to have the diecast legs.

Edited by sidearmsalpha

Actually someone has yet to accurately translate whatever the hell the magazine said aside giving us a babelfish translation. Its just assumption thus far due to seeing 10,000 yen in that article that everyone thinks it is close to $100. I hope its not the price, and we all know babelfish can give us a vague translation at times.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

I am really late to this party -- darn real life/holidays and such. The new 1/60 scale VF-1 looks good to me (I'll buy them), but I do wish for the canopy to be reworked.

If Yamato is going to do a first non-fast pack run, I hope we get the VF-1S Max early on, as this one was never shown equipped with a fast pack; also, we already have the DYRL Q-Rau, so a Max type -1S is a no-brainer.

The wide canopy has been a complaint ever since we saw the first pics of the 1/48. I wonder why Yamato hasn't addressed that problem for the new 1/60? I wonder if Graham has ever mentioned it to them. Surely a slimmer canopy means a slimmer retracting heatshield, which should be even easier to engineer.

The wider canopy is not a deal-breaker for me, but it seems like a needless deviation from the mecha design.

The cynic in me says every new and improved version of any Macross toy must have at least one tangible flaw that won't be a deal-breaker BUT if reworked in a future edition will prompt hardcore fans to buy it all over again.

- Original 1/60 VF-1x : Nicest overall proportions at the time, BUT THE LEGS COME OFF.

- 1/48 VF-1x : Perfect transformation, BUT THE BATTROID MODE TAKES A BACKSEAT TO THE FIGHTER.

- New 1/60 VF-1 : Perfect transformation + better battroid proportions, BUT THE CANOPY STILL SUCKS.

- ?'30th Anniversary 1/48 VF-1'? : Milked for 'perfection' at last?

The cynic in me says every new and improved version of any Macross toy must have at least one tangible flaw that won't be a deal-breaker BUT if reworked in a future edition will prompt hardcore fans to buy it all over again.

- Original 1/60 VF-1x : Nicest overall proportions at the time, BUT THE LEGS COME OFF.

- 1/48 VF-1x : Perfect transformation, BUT THE BATTROID MODE TAKES A BACKSEAT TO THE FIGHTER.

- New 1/60 VF-1 : Perfect transformation + better battroid proportions, BUT THE CANOPY STILL SUCKS.

hey, how else are they going to make money off the franchise? :p

Heck, I'm not really complaining, it's just an observation :-)

Maybe 'perfection' will arrive just before their license runs out, or before it gets outbid by Big-B after a theoretically spectacular run of Frontier toys and models?

Perfection comes in different flavors for every fan. For me, I'll take the new 1/60 after holding out so long on the 1/48. Others already love the 1/60 YF-19, but I'm holding out on THAT one... I'm keeping my fingers crossed for improvements on the non-flush neck piece in fighter mode... Someday....

Heck, I'm not really complaining, it's just an observation :-)

Maybe 'perfection' will arrive just before their license runs out, or before it gets outbid by Big-B after a theoretically spectacular run of Frontier toys and models?

Perfection comes in different flavors for every fan. For me, I'll take the new 1/60 after holding out so long on the 1/48. Others already love the 1/60 YF-19, but I'm holding out on THAT one... I'm keeping my fingers crossed for improvements on the non-flush neck piece in fighter mode... Someday....

nah. I agree with you, I was just making a joke that the toys kept macross in the public's mind during the long lulls between animated projects.

And while i like the new 1/60 battroid mode, I think the fighter mode leaves something to be desired. And I'm curious to see gerwalk mode. the placement of the backpack on the 1/48 is too far back and I'm hoping the 1/60 doesn't share that problem.

To be honest, I like the canopy being bulbous. The original 1/60's canopy might have been lineart accurate, but its not realistic for a fighter that the UN would be using in the near future. All current modern fighters fielded by the US have bubble canopies and excellent all around vision(well the fighters that actually are fighters, not the F-117). The original 1/60 had a canopy that would provide horrid vision to the rear, much like the Russian fighters up until recently. It may be a misstep with regards to accuracy to the lineart, but its a step ahead in realism to me. Sure it isn't much visibility towards the rear on the bulbous canopy, but its more than the original.

To be honest, I like the canopy being bulbous. The original 1/60's canopy might have been lineart accurate, but its not realistic for a fighter that the UN would be using in the near future. All current modern fighters fielded by the US have bubble canopies and excellent all around vision(well the fighters that actually are fighters, not the F-117). The original 1/60 had a canopy that would provide horrid vision to the rear, much like the Russian fighters up until recently. It may be a misstep with regards to accuracy to the lineart, but its a step ahead in realism to me. Sure it isn't much visibility towards the rear on the bulbous canopy, but its more than the original.

Bulging along the sides is ok for realism, but the overall width of the 1/48 (and now 1/60) canopy is far bigger compared to fighters of the same size (e.g., F-16). Compare the 1/48 to an F-14, F-16, F-15, or even F/A-18 model - the canopy looks downright toylike.

Bulging along the sides is ok for realism, but the overall width of the 1/48 (and now 1/60) canopy is far bigger compared to fighters of the same size (e.g., F-16). Compare the 1/48 to an F-14, F-16, F-15, or even F/A-18 model - the canopy looks downright toylike.

but it looks good in battroid mode, could it be a rare battroid mode compromise on the 1/48?

I think it’s great that Yamato is investing in a new line of Macross toys; it can only mean bigger and better things for Macross in the future. But I am surprised how excited everyone here seems to be about some 1-60 VF-1’s. Does anyone here plan on selling 48’s to get 60’s? Would you buy a 60 over a 48 if the price wasn’t that much different (which I doubt it will be)? The only thing I am excited about as far as VF-1 60’s would be the two seaters. I would like to see Yamato put their time into making Mecha that have not been made yet or some bad guy stuff. Comments?

Yeah, I agree with you. BTW I think the 1/48 was designed to look more realistic not just anime accurate.

YOu forgot to add crappy shaped tailfins amd also stubbier front and ridiculous double bump from the side profile with reduced details on the landing gear.

I think it’s great that Yamato is investing in a new line of Macross toys; it can only mean bigger and better things for Macross in the future. But I am surprised how excited everyone here seems to be about some 1-60 VF-1’s. Does anyone here plan on selling 48’s to get 60’s? Would you buy a 60 over a 48 if the price wasn’t that much different (which I doubt it will be)? The only thing I am excited about as far as VF-1 60’s would be the two seaters. I would like to see Yamato put their time into making Mecha that have not been made yet or some bad guy stuff. Comments?

If this price is similar to the 1/48, I'd probably just get the 2 seaters and maybe a 1s just to pose along with the other 1/60 valks but no more. I'd get more if the price point is under 100 bucks, especially if that price comes with the FAST packs. Hell, on the 1/60, I don't even care if the FAST packs have the gimmicks of the 1/48 set.

I wouldn't sell off my 1/48s either. Maybe a dupe or two but so far, I still think of the 1/48's as the definitive VF-1.

IF it's the same price then screw it, I'm leavin the new 1/60 scale. I'm movin on to their other VFs such as the SV-51 and YF 21 and the future VF-11. It's not as if there is nothing else to buy. Putting the new VFs at the same price or higher is just a kick in the nuts to me.

If this price is similar to the 1/48, I'd probably just get the 2 seaters and maybe a 1s just to pose along with the other 1/60 valks but no more.

That's exactly what I'm planning to do. I don't want to "re-invest" in the VF-1 but I need at least one '60 scale VF-1 to pose with its '60 scale 'Plus descendants. Finally, getting the 2-seaters will be the long-awaited bonus...

YOu forgot to add crappy shaped tailfins amd also stubbier front and ridiculous double bump from the side profile with reduced details on the landing gear.

The tailfins only look smaller to me due to the angle of the picture. If you want to talk about a dissapointing tail fin section, look at the toynami 1/100. The front may look stubbier but I doubt it will look like that with the gear up. The 1/48 had a longer nose, but even thats been disputed as being inaccurate to the lineart, and made for the sake of having a more realistic fighter mode. The only thing I see missing from the landing gear is the pin that lets the wheels spin, and honestly, not seeing that thing makes for a less toyetic appearance. The other small details are viewable but its such a small picture in the scan that you can barely see it.

IF it's the same price then screw it, I'm leavin the new 1/60 scale

Why would it be? Sure at a smaller scale, parts are smaller, but there are more likely less parts on the new 1/60 than on the 1/48. Not to mention it does not make any sense at all for it to be more expensive.

Does anyone here plan on selling 48’s to get 60’s?

I'm not selling mine. Why should I?

But I am surprised how excited everyone here seems to be about some 1-60 VF-1’s.

Surprised to see the 1/60 VF-1 finally become perfect transformable after 7 years of waiting for it to happen? The number one thing EVERYONE on this board wanted when the first 1/60 came out, was it to be perfect transformable. I'm glad I won't be paying close to $200 USD for a VF-1 with the detail we have come to expect from yamato. Its obvious how everyone wanted new versions of the Macross Plus valkyries. Yet no one complained once we got them. This is no different. Since the VF-1 is a popular mecha, I am not surprised to see it again. People complained about the Macross Plus valks, and eventually the YF-19 was made in 1/60, and in a few months, the 21. People are happy about that. People were upset at various things over the original 1/60 VF-1. Things that fans wished were addressed. The time for that has come with the new 1/60. The 1/60 line has the a lot of other different valks in it, so why not another new VF-1, for consistency? Not to mention cheaper, and with more variety. The 1/48 remains the premium VF-1, with unparalleled detail and moving parts, while the 1/60 will be cheaper, at the sacrifice of detail and moving control surfaces, and undoubtedly simpler armor, but in return will have more variety. With that the 1/48 should be able to maintain its value. Have you handled the original 1/60? I'm not sure if you have, but I have one, and a 1/48, and am very excited for the new 1/60.

Would you buy a 60 over a 48 if the price wasn’t that much different

NO ONE WOULD. Thats like charging the price of a tree for a twig. Big difference between the supposed 10,000 yen pricetag, and 14,800 yen.

I would like to see Yamato put their time into making Mecha that have not been made yet or some bad guy stuff.

Everyone does.

Hell, on the 1/60, I don't even care if the FAST packs have the gimmicks of the 1/48 set.

I don't expect them to be, and I think its a blessing in disguise. It would be a nightmare trying to keep a track of all micromissles.

I still think of the 1/48's as the definitive VF-1.

I doubt that will change, so I still fail to see why everyone is worried about the new 1/60 being released. Everyone here knew the old 1/60 had room for improvement, and everyone wondered what it would be like, some still wondered, even after the 1/48 was released. I was one of them.

Putting the new VFs at the same price or higher is just a kick in the nuts to me.

It is, and its a stupid business decision. Honestly guys, when has a smaller Yamato valkyrie ever costed more than its bigger counterparts? The heavy 1/60 ELINTseeker was cheaper than a unarmored 1/48. The 1/72 Macross Plus toys never costed more than the upcoming nearly all plastic YF-21. They actually costed less than 1/2 the price. I think its ridiculous to even think the new VF-1 will cost as much as the 1/60 VF-0. Laughable even.

I seriously doubt that the new 1/60's will be over $100 by much, if any without fast packs. Until I see something definite to prove otherwise, I plan on getting these. The ONLY thing that I see that I hope they change is that dip in the side profile of the canopy. Otherwise, it all looks great to me. ^_^

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

The tailfins only look smaller to me due to the angle of the picture. If you want to talk about a dissapointing tail fin section, look at the toynami 1/100. The front may look stubbier but I doubt it will look like that with the gear up. The 1/48 had a longer nose, but even thats been disputed as being inaccurate to the lineart, and made for the sake of having a more realistic fighter mode. The only thing I see missing from the landing gear is the pin that lets the wheels spin, and honestly, not seeing that thing makes for a less toyetic appearance. e other small details are viewable but its such a small picture in the scan that you can barely see it.

I said "shape" Shin not size. Big difference between the two words. The 1/48 had all the angles right on them. From the side profile, the fighter looks fine, but from the top view it looks comparatively squished back.

Why would it be? Sure at a smaller scale, parts are smaller, but there are more likely less parts on the new 1/60 than on the 1/48. Not to mention it does not make any sense at all for it to be more expensive.

Note that I didn't supply a reason, and it was just to answer a previous quote Shin, note the "IF" in capitals.

The severity of said "double bump" is more than likely an optical effect due to the black framing of

the canopy and the dark background the shot was taken with. Even if it isn't, I'm all about buying it!