1/60 perfect transforming vf-1 from yamato?

Shaggydog

Darn.. and all this time I never got my 1/48 Roy 1S :( Oh well, here's hoping they'll release one more run of that one, just for old time's sake. Otherwise I'll probably just have to be happy with my Hikaru Super-J (unless someone happens to want to dump a near-mint Roy ;))

I do like the new sculpt though, especially the canopy, and it'll be nice to have a full 1/60 set in the future (when I get money to buy them all :p). About what size is a 1/60 VF-1 in fighter mode though? About 9 inches?

I'm just looking foward to a less-guily throw-away valk to play with :p

I think that's the true purpose of this new toy for us the macross fans. I mean, I love my Focker 1/48 but I still feeling like I'm going to break something on it every time I grab it! :lol:

That was me, and I was referring to the difference between the Roy's 1S in DRYL vs the Roy 1S TV version. In the DRYL movie, the arrows on either side of the 1S is yellow, and on the TV version, they're black.

And of course, in the TV version, Hikaru gets Roy's 1S rather than the Black and Red 1S made for him in DRYL.

I want the TV version of Hikaru's 1S which is Roy's TV version 1S with a Hikaru pilot. The point was, it would be easy enough for Yamato to do and I'm hoping they will do it with this new 1/60 line since they didn't with the 1/48's.

-Kyp

I hope they do, I had to get a Hikaru pilot and Super packs from a 1J just to do mine. The only thing I didn't do was paint the arrows on the head black, I'm not that good of a painter.

dsc03929li2.jpg

I will probably do the same with the 1/60s when they get released.

But it costs less than the 1/48, is more articulated, more sleeker in fighter mode, and possibly more accurate in battroid mode! B))

[/quote

It doesn't look sleeker to me. Yes, the arms sit much more higher in fighter mode (which is the only noticeable flaw in the 1/48) but the legs and the nose section both look bulkier than in the 1/48.

Hmm, there's a lot to like about the new 1/60-- proportions in battroid look fantastic, with my only complaint being the shoulder blocks that deviate moderately from the line art. I think they could be a bit beefier, but I understand that might make them stick out more in fighter mode. While I like how the nosecone looks in battroid, it looks a bit stubby in fighter. I will say that it's short enough that it takes away from the sleekness of the fighter mode considerably, which the 1/48 captured much better despite the huge shoulder blocks. I would even say this is the weakest part of the whole sculpt, as a slightly too long nosecone in battroid doesn't bother me nearly as much as a slightly short nosecone in fighter. There's just something about how the nose swoops in the 1/48 that makes me all gushy inside. I'm also not a fan of the new interpretation of the intakes and covers-- I thought the old intakes were a nearly perfect representation of the line art, while the new ones look a tad blockier, with the grill covers almost popping out instead of being recessed. The rest of the leg looks fantastic though, as the contours and bulges capture their look in the line art.

Overall, I feel that too much was lost in the fighter mode, and would rather see compromises in that direction. I think slightly bigger shoulder blocks, a slightly longer nose, and redesigned intakes would make it a perfect improvement over the 1/48 in all aspects other than size. As it is, I still prefer the 1/48 by a hair as it does what it does very well and I've learned to live with its compromises. That shorter nose in fighter on the 1/60 is going to bother me to no end, even as much as I appreciate the better battroid.

-Al

The VF-1 is a pretty chunky little anime fighter overall. Comparing the new 1/60 to the old orthographic view you can barely tell that the nose is a bit shorter. The 1/48 has the biggest, craziest nose ever. I think the shape of the shoulders is different because there is probably a swing bar in there that prevents the shoulders from being larger. Also the long ball joints don't help.

That shorter nose in fighter on the 1/60 is going to bother me to no end, even as much as I appreciate the better battroid.

-Al

Couldn't have said it better.

What also bothers me is that the wide bulbous canopy of the 1/48 is still present. I still prefer the proportions of the old 1/60 in fighter mode (gonna keep them all). Battroid is great though B))

Actually, I honestly can't tell the difference in the nose without a side-by-side comparison shot. I'll probably see it later and go "ewww" but the lack of the shoulders hanging down makes up for it I think (I didn't even really notice that on the 1/48 until earlier this year when I put it out for display above my desk)

The canopy looks slightly better to me though, the framing in the back has a little more curve to it now. Side profile is still a little funny, but bubble canopies on many planes are bulged out on the sides like that. It gives better visibility below the horizon, since you can look around the nose a bit.

Was there this much excitement on the board when the 1/48th scale was announced? The original 1/60th? Honestly, maybe it's the completist in me but it is hard for me to get excited about this new line when they didn't even finish the old one. If they had done some two seaters or even the cartoon color variations without the two seaters then I would probably be more excited about this. Why the hell would I support a new scale line when there is no way to know if they will finish it or not. Yamato has gotten enough of my money for a half complete line, why should I shell out even more for a line they will most likely stop supporting (lose interest in) in a few years. Everyone seems really positive and optimistic on this but I find it hard to even think about adopting this new line until it's way closer to completion or at the very least halfway there. Yamato should put out a release date list, it wouldn't have to be set in stone. It could just show the order they plan on releasing the versions and a rough outline of how often. Show what ones they even had intentions of making. That would give me a little more incentive to pick some up. Either way, I think I will pass for now. At least that will let me sit back and watch all the bugs get ironed out before I put anymore money in their pockets. I'm just suprised more people on here aren't a little more jaded and a lot more skeptical about Yamato's plans.

I hope Graham doesn't mind me reposting one of his pics of the 1/60 DRYL Hikaru VF-1A from his review...it's for a good cause, IMO.

yam_vf1_fighter_sideumm-7.jpg

HJ_Feb_08_Page_1.jpg

I think the new 1/60 is a major improvement and makes me glad I got rid of the couple that I did have, but that's just me. I know it's not the exact same perspective, but I still like what I see in the new 1/60 line.

-Kyp

Kyp: Damn, I didn't realize how fugly those old 1/60's were until now!

Eugimon: The gunpod is definitely too far back. I bet if it were moved a centimeter forward, it would look big enough.

If I had to gripe about something, it'd be that the whole tailfin area is a bit too small and not far back enough.

Here's a pick of the new VF-1 without the rake ( i broke up the outline of the pic):

notRaked.jpg

Man the new Tailfin sucks, and the landing gear does not seem to have as good detail to it, I wonder if it is still better than the 1/60 though.

The cockpit of the 1/48 seems to be more line art accurate, the new 1/60 seems to have a double bump.

While it never really bothered me, I'll admit that the arms sit higher on the new 1/60 than the 1/48.

Edited by kensei

The cockpit of the 1/48 seems to be more line art accurate, the new 1/60 seems to have a double bump.

I wonder if that double bump is because of the 1/60 being designed for 2 seaters.

It might be designed for the VT-1 since the rear seat sits higher than the front seat.

The higher and longer canopy would blend in better with the fuselage without the double bump, IMHO.

Edited by Morikazu001

Does the heatshield work the same way I wonder? Or is it a different method of moving it into place from fighter to battroid? Just want to make sure of this fact, I want to hypothesise how the two seaters would work, particularly the DYRL? ones.

You would have thought they'd make a chunkier gunpod to make it actually LOOK like a gunpod instead of a long barrelled pistol now that they have all that room with the arms further off the ground.

Edited by kensei

Well for the two-seater arrangement. It's possible they're doing something like I suggested in one of the other threads a while back, using inspiration of the 19 style cockpit arrangement. Front seat, and equipment thingy behind for one-seater. For two seater, move the pilot's console forward a bit, move up the pilot's seat, take out equipment thingy, put in second seat, use two-seater variant canopy.

I'm curious to know if the heatshield is the same as with the 1/48 or redesigned. I have to say, I've had some moments of irritation with getting the heatshield to come out, only to have the whole damned thing pop out. Then the nerve wracking time spent attempting to get it back in place without damaging the pegs or the internal rails. :(

You're right! That's kinda annoying... it's suffering from MPCism!!!

I doubt that... they'd have to be made out of wax to be anything close to the MPC.

With Yamato it's annoying... but with Toynami it's forgive and forget for "insert feel sorry" reason here... :rolleyes:

Hmmm.. K, the nose still looks the same to me. But now that I look at them together, I don't think they raised the shoulders. I think they just made the legs thicker a bit...

K, did a quick comparison. I traced the major outlines of both the 1/48 and 1/60, and overlayed them. The missiles get in the way for the 1/60, so there are some lines I'm not sure of. But the overall match is surprising. Only big changes appear to be the tails, and the shoulders raising. The different camera angles don't help, but they're still very close.

After comparing, I also noticed how different the lower strakes are now.. much more rounded, and mounted higher on the side of the leg, like they should be. :) Also, the leg circle patches have changed size and location.

valk2.jpg

Red lines are the 1/48, yellow the new 1/60

Edited by Chronocidal

I wont make a commitment to buy one until I actually see one. Then of cause it will be down to price and how big the box is. Since I will be in Japan after these guys hit the market.

In two to three years time will we all be cursing Yamato for Floppy limbs crooked Skulls and the new 1/72 Super Ultra Perfect Transformation line of VF-1's they'll be doing by then.

Was there this much excitement on the board when the 1/48th scale was announced?

A LOT MORE. Even when the first CAD picture of the battroid mode came out, everyone was foaming at the mouth because it was finally perfect transformation. There was even a group here called the "friendly yamato defenders" or something else that sounded cornier. Trust me, the excitement for the new 1/60 does not even compare to the first announcements of the original 1/60, and original 1/48 combined.

The original 1/60th?

Not as much as the 1/48

Everyone seems really positive and optimistic on this

Because we won't be paying close to, or more than $200 for it, I like the 1/60 size of the VF-1, and always wanted a PV 1/60 VF-1. This may finally destroy my desire to own a Bandai HCM.

The second bulge aft of the cockpit may be necessary to house the internal heatshield. Honestly, I could care less. I just want something in the size of the 1/60 VF-1, cheaper than current Yamato releases, and most importantly, sturdy. We all know Yamato does a very good job with regards to detail and accuracy, but I want something durable and sturdy. The original 1/48 is a very sturdy toy(despite the many paranoid collectors who are afraid to touch it), and could be manhandled, as mine is still in one piece. I think there is a chance the new 1/60 may be more durable, due to the transformation possibly being simpler(since it is smaller, there is probably some shortcuts).

Well I sure hope it's less then two hundred. I don't see how people think it'll be less then 100 w/ fastpacks. I'm guessing it'll be around 150 with fastpacks and a little over 100 without. Probably in the same ballpark as the Zero series even though it'll be smaller.

A LOT MORE. Even when the first CAD picture of the battroid mode came out, everyone was foaming at the mouth because it was finally perfect transformation. There was even a group here called the "friendly yamato defenders" or something else that sounded cornier. Trust me, the excitement for the new 1/60 does not even compare to the first announcements of the original 1/60, and original 1/48 combined.

Not as much as the 1/48

Because we won't be paying close to, or more than $200 for it, I like the 1/60 size of the VF-1, and always wanted a PV 1/60 VF-1. This may finally destroy my desire to own a Bandai HCM.

The second bulge aft of the cockpit may be necessary to house the internal heatshield. Honestly, I could care less. I just want something in the size of the 1/60 VF-1, cheaper than current Yamato releases, and most importantly, sturdy. We all know Yamato does a very good job with regards to detail and accuracy, but I want something durable and sturdy. The original 1/48 is a very sturdy toy(despite the many paranoid collectors who are afraid to touch it), and could be manhandled, as mine is still in one piece. I think there is a chance the new 1/60 may be more durable, due to the transformation possibly being simpler(since it is smaller, there is probably some shortcuts).

The ad in the scan was translated saying that the price point was 10,000 Yen which is about $87 and some change in USD.

For $100 shipped without fast packs, I would be willing to pay $120-$130 shipped w/FP. I'm hoping they will offer TV fast packs separate this time around, I would definitely buy them.

-Kyp

I'm really loving the new 1S head. The 1/48 1S head was decent, but I think this new one is gorgeous.

head.jpg

Maybe it's just because it's looking down? I dunno, there's just something about it.

^^^I think that's just the camera angle. I'm looking at my 1/48 VF-1S right this very moment, at the exact angle as the 1/60 head. I don't see a difference.

maybe, but it looks a little slimmer to me. It may very well be just the angle, but i suspect it will be a bit different.

well, the assembly looks different to me. It looks like the seam is towards the back of the head near the head laser mounts.