Bandai Macross Frontier toys thread

valhary

That pic looks like it's from the new Hobby Japan magazine, which isn't due to hit the street until May 25. You can tell it's from HJ, by the blue lines at the top of the page.

Anyway, looks nice, but a bit chunky. I'm sure once we see a fully painted version in a better pose, it will look ace.

You can tell the joints are really loose looking at the pic, especially the shoulder, which is just sorta hanging down. That's only to be expected on an early prototype like this and I'm sure Bandai will get it sorted out by the time it reaches production.

Graham

Battroid mode is off in a lot of ways. *ehem...repost what I said from 4chan*...

There should be no flaps on the legs. The 3d model clearly showed that those flaps are attached to the wing swivel area.

Also, shield feels too thin...too short perhaps.. Crotch isn't set at an angle either.

There should be no flaps on the legs. The 3d model clearly showed that those flaps are attached to the wing swivel area.

Yes there are fins on the VF-25's lower leg in fighter mode (same place as on the VF-1). However, in battroid and Gerwalk modes, they are suppoosed to fold inside the VF-25's lower leg.

It sounds like you are thinking of the tail fins, which are attached the wing glove area by hinges.

Graham

It sounds like you are thinking of the tail fins, which are attached the wing glove area by hinges.

10-1 odds that David is going to jump on me for not using the right technical term here.....:p

Graham

Bandai doing Macross frontier gives me mixed feelings.

Im also a fan of gundam kits/figuration/zeonography and so far im quite satisfied with the design and articulation they are doing. If they are going to design and make a series of Macross Frontier toys(from ground up) with the same quality they give on their gundam toys I believe we're in for a little treat.

I dont think they'll redesign the first gen Katoku/Bandai toys since its a classic. If you say theyre too simple, it wouldnt matter. People will still buy it.

Anyway there was some bashing about the Yamato Konig Monster in this thread and my opinion would be that he's not ENTIRELY correct. The Konig Monster is one of the most COMPLICATED toys out there. You have to fiddle with it for a bit to fully understand how to LOCK everything in place.

Edited by persona

As much as people complain about Yamato's QC issues, i would actually rather buy a toy that is very accurate and sleek looking with a few QC issues rather then a less accurate toy without QC issues.

The Bandai DX just looks too bulky and chubby to me, the VF-25 in the show is much slimmer and sleeker looking in both modes.

I wonder if Bandai is going to include features such as detailed and realistic looking retractable landing gear and opening canopy with removable pilot, i sure hope so.

thanks for the clearer pictures... I can't believe I'm going to say this, because I think the 1/72 models look like crap... but they got the DX beat HANDS DOWN at this point.

Shoulders are too small, chest is too big, the cod piece is just plain wrong, the head looks squashed, fore arms are too long... fighter mode looks chunky, so chunky, I thought I was looking at a transformer. And I really hope that ugly expose hinge they have for the canopy is just a mock up for the prototype... cuz' having two big tabs sticking up on the side of the fuselage is just ugly as sin and lazy.

Feh, I can always fix a busted arm on a yamato or a crooked gunpod, much harder to fix a fugly sculpt.

I didn't think Bandai would bring their A game to the table, but even I'm disapointed.

And I can't believe the Bandaides who were so bitter about the proportions on the 1/48 are giving this turd a free pass.

Edited by eugimon

One thing I've noticed about the konig monster is in some pics of it in GERWALK mode, the arms are held in such a way that they just droop down at an angle like an underarm weapon. Now that I've seen that in a painting it doesn't worry me so much that the arm sort of flops down at a weird angle.

As for vf-25: Oh yeah, the model looks good. Hopefully the toy gradually improves and if there are any bandai spies, they will listen to the feedback about what's bad about the 1/60 so they can get the right shape that pleases most people.

When the armor is put on, it will thicken the look of the robot and bulk it up a bit. So I hope bandai has thought of the robot mode's ability to support the extra weight when designing the thing and also made sure it has good manly hands too. :D With a model it can barely be touched. I want a toy to be able to be handled.

If bandai does a konig monster, hopefully they think about what parts need to lock in place and give it clicky joints so the toy can support its own weight.

BTW what are the chances that after bandai has finished making their macross F toys, that years down the track yamato will be able to make their own 1/60 vf-25? So if this one ends up being bad, we will have something that has the proportions that please everyone? I mean we still haven't got a vf-17 from yamato right? And macross 7 ended ages ago. So what chance is there they will be able to one day do the vf-25?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

After seeing the pic for the 1/60 DX vf-25 all I can say is eewww... It looks terrible so far but I wont come to any conclusions yet as it is still an early proptotype. All I can say is that bandai has their work cut out for them to get this toy right... other than that the model looks good though.

I want a final version and coloured prototype before I make final judgement.

But I share many of eugimon's criticisms. The first thing that hit me though, within the first few seconds of seeing this is that the back half of the fighter is wrong. It looks really disproportionate to the front of the fighter, like it's been squeezed. GERWALK mode is also very bad in terms of limbs. They just seem to hang. The 1/48 VF-1 does not do this, and the transformation to this point are very similar.

Battroid I can't make out clearly.

To Bandai, make the joints a lot tighter, and paint the damn thing. Then I'll take a second look.

I just noticed the canopy hinge...........oh dear! :(

They better make that go away on the final version.

IMO Bandai has a lot of catching up to get to where Yamato are today in terms of looks.

Graham

While the prototype looks awful. The VF-25 at this stage looks better than the production 1/65 VF-17.

If anything the new Bandai's can be used as a starting point for customs. <_< Let the stones fly for that one.

As for the 1/60 fighter being off when the 1/72 looks about right. I wonder how the 1/60 prototype fighter was photographed to distort the proportions so bad. The Gerwalk already looks to a mis-transform.

C'est la vie! Thanks for the new photo.

I just noticed the canopy hinge...........oh dear! :(

They better make that go away on the final version.

IMO Bandai has a lot of catching up to get to where Yamato are today in terms of looks.

Graham

IMO Bandai's prototype's have a lot of catching up to get to where Yamato's final products are today, it's quite true :lol:

The differences between the model and DX version are intrigueing though, considering both should have been designed off of the same CAD models. Not everything works in real life the way it does in theory, though. Joints need strenghtening and take more space, etc...

All in all, while I think the head looks kinda funny and I hope the knees "break" more than shown in the Gerwalk photo, I think it looks very promising indeed, and the possibility of Strike and Armor packs (the strike at the very least has already been shown in proto form) are even more exciting.

OK, WTF....hinge pins for the canopy?!? You're fraking kidding me right? Umm....yeah, PASS.

And I agree the 1/72 looks WAY better. Why the **** could they not at least adapt the sculpt of the 1/72 and use it for the 1/60?

While I agree about Yamato's faults, most QC issues can be dealt with, but like eugimon said, there's no fixing a craptacular sculpt.

Those hinge pins put the last proverbial nail in the coffin of this 1/60 offering, IMO.

-Kyp

thanks for the clearer pictures... I can't believe I'm going to say this, because I think the 1/72 models look like crap... but they got the DX beat HANDS DOWN at this point.

Shoulders are too small, chest is too big, the cod piece is just plain wrong, the head looks squashed, fore arms are too long... fighter mode looks chunky, so chunky, I thought I was looking at a transformer. And I really hope that ugly expose hinge they have for the canopy is just a mock up for the prototype... cuz' having two big tabs sticking up on the side of the fuselage is just ugly as sin and lazy.

Feh, I can always fix a busted arm on a yamato or a crooked gunpod, much harder to fix a fugly sculpt.

I didn't think Bandai would bring their A game to the table, but even I'm disapointed.

And I can't believe the Bandaides who were so bitter about the proportions on the 1/48 are giving this turd a free pass.

Agree, exactly

I hope the knees "break" more than shown in the Gerwalk photo,

Judging by the battroid pic, you can see the right knee cap armour is open far more than the left knee, so I think the knees will be able to bend forward more than in the Gerwalk pic. I certainly hpe so anyway.

The Gerwalk pic, definitely looks mis-transformed, or perhaps not locked together, would be a more accurate term.

Graham

Is it me or does the head look really off too ?

Looks like it crashed into a wall head first and those headlasers look too tall to me. Doesn't look like the CGI model at all in my opinion.

I might get the Ozma version, but only because of the transformable armor parts.

Edited by thankheaven

The head design does look - well - not bad or ... I just can't find a word...it's very different from what we've come to expect of Valkyrie. It generally has all of the features of a 1J 9 head - but is just so very different anyways...

will take some getting used too. Mikhael's Valk head is pure Max though ;)

VFTF1

Because its an unfinished prototype. Hey if Yamato makes a good, durable toy then I won't complain, and yes I have a 1/48 and like it, but it isn't perfect. So what just because I, and a few others like Bandai's and are waiting to see more til we cast final judgement we are called Bandaides? What should I call Yamato fans, Yamaturds? I'm not even bitter about the proportions about the 1/48, I just call it as I see it, the new 1/60 does better in that regard, it won't make me sell my Hikaru VF-1S.

Its unfair to say that considering the prototype isn't even finished in those photos.

i try not to judge version 1 protos.

i await better pics.

Good man, you are in the minority.

While I agree about Yamato's faults, most QC issues can be dealt with, but like eugimon said, there's no fixing a craptacular sculpt

Considering that its not even finished yet...

As for the 1/60 fighter being off when the 1/72 looks about right.

The 1/72 is off in fighter mode, the LERX's are placed too close to the randome, they should be further back, like on the DX.

The crotch piece may not be unfolded/swiveled in the pictures, I think it does swivel downwards 150 degrees, to form a more animation accurate appearance.

Thanks for the picture. Time for me to weigh in

Fighter mode:

- reminds me completely of the YF-21, the aft section is too similar. This would be fine except that the VF-25 is supposed to not look anything like the YF-21! The VF-25 is supposed to be "longer and sleeker". Of course it could just be the colourless of the picture or the angle.

Gerwalk mode:

- Those arms look way too skinny and it looks like everything is dangling off. However by dangling off, it does make it look more flexible and poseable. The aft section looks way too wafer thin and full of holes.

Battroid mode:

- those head lasers are WAY too long. What's the purpose of having such long head lasers anyways?

- the crotch section looks mistransformed.

- as mentioned before, the arms look way too skinny.

As this is a prototype I'll reserve final judgement when the final toy comes out. Still I can't wait. I hope the durability is there. Listening to everyone;s comments about the Yamatos, I'm now worried about my SV-51 Nora Type. I'm supposed to finally get it today! Hope it's not as flawed as what everyone says.

oh please... bandaides get all in a hissy fit over 2/3rds of a blurry yamato CAD drawing. If these shots were so rough and so far off from the final sculpt, why would bandai use them as their promotional material?

oh please... bandaides get all in a hissy fit over 2/3rds of a blurry yamato CAD drawing. If these shots were so rough and so far off from the final sculpt, why would bandai use them as their promotional material?

I didn't. Most of you guys were against the new 1/60 when the CAD drawings came out not too long ago. I seemed to be one of the only ones excited when most said the 1/48 was better, when I was saying the battroid mode looked better, people said "no the 1/48 is still king!". Even now I am still excited for the new 1/60. Oh and get this, its a yamato toy. Plus, I wasn't even one of the guys complaining about the YF-21 coming out. I'm just passing on it since it costs a lot. I wasn't one of the "ZOMG THE LEGS ARE TOO SKINNY OH NOES!" people.

As for Bandai showing rough sculpts, its showing what they are working on. A LOT of model companies at Shizuoka showed off unfinished prototypes for plamo, like the the Sky Crawlers anime and various aircraft kits, its nothing new. Some companies even showed prototype cardboard sculpts of plamo planes.

OK, WTF....hinge pins for the canopy?!? You're fraking kidding me right? Umm....yeah, PASS.

And I agree the 1/72 looks WAY better. Why the **** could they not at least adapt the sculpt of the 1/72 and use it for the 1/60?

While I agree about Yamato's faults, most QC issues can be dealt with, but like eugimon said, there's no fixing a craptacular sculpt.

Those hinge pins put the last proverbial nail in the coffin of this 1/60 offering, IMO.

-Kyp

I agree. BTW I far prefer a fixed canopy instead of that arcaic one! :wacko: C'mon Bandai guys we're not in the 80's anymore.