Ride Armor Comparison

eriku

konimon,

The stand I speak of is on Page 5 post #96. It would not allow me to copy the pic in my reply here so you will have to look for it. I will be sure to pick up some of the Bandai stands if needed.

:ph34r:

Anyone else get their CM's from HLJ today? Mine's sitting here patiently waiting to be ripped open when I get home.

Axelay- So far nothing of the Beagle has been shown aside from those renders. I don't think there is even much recent information in general about it.

I ordered mine on Jan. 30th and still nothing. However my account with them says it's going to ship in a few days and they have already billed me. How long did yours take to reach you?

I also ordered a set off ebay, so I'll probably sell the extra Stick, if anyone wants him PM me!

I ordered mine on Jan. 30th and still nothing. However my account with them says it's going to ship in a few days and they have already billed me. How long did yours take to reach you?

I also ordered a set off ebay, so I'll probably sell the extra Stick, if anyone wants him PM me!

I had preordered mine back in November or December. They billed/charged me on Jan 31st, shipped it on Feb. 1st and it arrived today, the 6th. EMS is pretty fast most of the time (in my experience), which is why I don't mind paying more for it. I'm not a good 'waiter'. ^_^

LOS of Lost & Found Toys has the MegaHouse cyclones arriving in stock at the end of Feb. I assume shipping in early March.

Yeppers....That is what I saw as well on my order. The downer though so far is that I have been charged for my CM's as of yesterday and have not received an email saying that they have shipped :( . Anyone else got theres from LOS yet???

I believe the fragility of the CM's ride armor is unavoidable because they were trying to produce a 'perfect transforming' toy at a very small scale. That means pieces like the waist armor plates and foot struts are thin/small + held together with the tiniest of metal pins for pivot joints. As for the 'fiddly' nature of the toy, heck, even the big Gakken felt like a twitchy handful because of the need to flip, twist and turn the parts... all in sequence to avoid obstructing the wheel arms. So imagine doing all that in a figure just 10cm tall.

The alternative is the Megahouse approach: 'non perfect' transformation but more securely re-attached.

Like I said, I like both versions for different reasons. It's just cool to own the CM's because it is an 'authentic' representation of the mechanical design, with more accurate details than the big Gakken (i.e. the extending wheel hover nozzles). The MH is like an 'SIC' version to me... more beautifully finished but executed with some artistic license with reference to the original design.

Well, after playing with it a bit, I really like the CM's. It does take a little patience to transform, but that's never stopped me from loving a Yamato valk, and it's certainly not as grueling as some of those. I find the figure itself to be more sturdy and much better quality that a Microman figure (I know that's not saying much, but they're the same size). I actually quite like the stand, or the proppin' stick. It holds the figure up if you want a funky pose and doesn't get in the way, what more do you need?

As for plastic quality, it seems perfectly fine to me. I've had Banpresto valks and other 'cheap' toys and this doesn't have the same feel as they do. Breakable? Of course it is, but that's because it's very small and there are a lot of small moving pieces. But at the same time there wasn't anything that felt as if it were about to snap or break while I was manipulationg it.

The parts fit looks to be fine on mine, everything appears to be where it should and work the way it should. I'm very happy with it and I'll probably just stick to this one since I don't really feel like I need a 'better' one.

I'll post some pics this weekend.

I would add that for the budget conscious AND breakage-wary fan, start with the Stick-Type. The symmetric missile cowls do not pull the bike's front apart like the case with Ley-Type. I would love to see how Megahouse deals with Ley's wheel-mounted beam gun! :-)

As for plastic quality, it seems perfectly fine to me. I've had Banpresto valks and other 'cheap' toys and this doesn't have the same feel as they do. Breakable? Of course it is, but that's because it's very small and there are a lot of small moving pieces. But at the same time there wasn't anything that felt as if it were about to snap or break while I was manipulationg it.

sounds good enough for me. So would it be fair to say that its only real weakness is high price, and lack of detail? (plus exposed screws)

I can live with lack of detail, but stuff like the arms or legs feeling like they'd easily break off, or pieces not holding together as they should would turn me off them.

sounds good enough for me. So would it be fair to say that its only real weakness is high price, and lack of detail? (plus exposed screws)

That all depends because I personally don't see exposed screws as a weakness, and I actually find it to be nicely detailed (lots of little tampo printed markings). But yeah, if you look at the pictures and don't like how the detail looks or the screws, it's not going to be much different in person. My other caution to people is be aware of the size/scale before getting one. I've read so many "OMG That's so tiny!" comments in the last week that it makes me wonder how familiar people are with 1/18 scale. We've known since the beginning what size it would be, and the item I pulled out of the box was precisely the size I had always expected it to be. Think of a GI Joe, think of a Microman, a Star Wars figure, that's the size. The Mospeada isn't a huge bike to begin with, so it doesn't add a whole lot of bulk to the figure.

I'd also like to add that I am extremely pleased with the articulation of this figure. Granted the hips could use a little more range, but they have enough to let him sit on the bike. The arms are incredible and the head has a lot of range, too. Speaking of the head, it's a small bummer that the helmet doesn't come off, or that there isn't an extra head, but at least the face that's underneath has excellent detail and is immediately identifiable as Stick (I don't have Ley so I can't speak for that one).

Edited by eriku

eriku,

Thanks for the info. This is keeping me excited about these figs...especially since I have not heard many positive things so far. Can't wait for your pics. Again...has anyone heard about there's shipping from LAFtoys???

Again...has anyone heard about there's shipping from LAFtoys???

Patience, my friend. They are only just getting them in stock now, from what I heard. It'll take a bit. Not too long, though. ^_^

Edited by crasis

eriku,

Thanks for the info. This is keeping me excited about these figs...especially since I have not heard many positive things so far. Can't wait for your pics. Again...has anyone heard about there's shipping from LAFtoys???

I hope you like it. Admitedly I'm not the most discriminating toy collector as far as lineart accuracy and detail goes, but I know a good piece when I handle it and this thing met all of my expectations. Mileage may vary of course, so don't blame me if you hate it. :p

According to an email update I got, LAF just got their CM's shipment the beginning of this week. It takes them a day or two to sort stuff out and get it ready to ship to customers so I would imagine you'll be getting a notice from them very soon.

I hope you like it. Admitedly I'm not the most discriminating toy collector as far as lineart accuracy and detail goes, but I know a good piece when I handle it and this thing met all of my expectations. Mileage may vary of course, so don't blame me if you hate it. :p

According to an email update I got, LAF just got their CM's shipment the beginning of this week. It takes them a day or two to sort stuff out and get it ready to ship to customers so I would imagine you'll be getting a notice from them very soon.

Oh I won't blame you if I hate it. I will do as everyone else and blame >EXO< :D

I know I need to develop patience for my "collectibles" to get here but I am CAN'T!!! :lol:

Oh I won't blame you if I hate it. I will do as everyone else and blame >EXO< :D

I know I need to develop patience for my "collectibles" to get here but I am CAN'T!!! :lol:

Hey, just because most thing's are >EXO<'s fault, doesn't mean all things are >EXO<'s fault. :D

Hey, just because most thing's are >EXO<'s fault, doesn't mean all things are >EXO<'s fault. :D

Well now......I don't know what to believe.

>EXO<,

Are MOST things your fault???

and on another note...

WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO MY CM'S ARE SHIPPING FROM LAFTOYS.......THANKS LOS!!!!

Hooray, I got my CM Stick in the mail today :lol: ! I must say I'm mighty impresed with this figure, as small as it is it still manages to pull off a perfect transformation. Transformation is a bit fidgity but thats only cause of the small size. It helps if you have other 1/18 scale stuff to display it with, mine is taking down a tiger tank atm. Caution to all those who still havn't received theres yet, the orange window peice is very gentle......EXTREMELY gentle. Heh, I broke mine first transformation but I have stuff to fix it. Overall I would give this figure an 7 out of 10. Oh 1 final thought, doesn't Sticks gun ....stick to his bike in bike mode?

Caution to all those who still havn't received theres yet, the orange window peice is very gentle......EXTREMELY gentle. Heh, I broke mine first transformation but I have stuff to fix it.

:unsure:

I got mine today. Overall it's very impressive, but there is one major design flaw, unless it's just me: The left forearm guard can not attach to both the vertical strut and the horizontal strut at the same time (in bike mode). I hope I just did something wrong, because I've only heard about this problem for Ley's bike. But I have the problem on Stick's.

Edited by danth

Mine are sitting at the postal office right now. I won't be able to get them till Monday :(

I will be sure to post some pics ASAP.......anyone else wanna post some of theirs???

I have the CMs. In a word, they are crap.

1. Cheap plastic.

2. Fragile moving parts.

3. Seasick coloration.

4. Flaccid posture in bike mode.

5. Unbalanced in armor mode.

6. No heft (personal preference - this toy is so light it feels very much like a knockoff).

7. Screws are exposed for all to see.

A good thing I had the Megahouses pre-ordered. Stay away from the CMs! (But if you're anything like me, you'd have just bought them anyway.)

I have the CMs. In a word, they are crap.

1. Cheap plastic.

2. Fragile moving parts.

3. Seasick coloration.

4. Flaccid posture in bike mode.

5. Unbalanced in armor mode.

6. No heft (personal preference - this toy is so light it feels very much like a knockoff).

7. Screws are exposed for all to see.

A good thing I had the Megahouses pre-ordered. Stay away from the CMs! (But if you're anything like me, you'd have just bought them anyway.)

See, it's just as irresponsible to tell people "Stay away from the CM's" as it is to say "Go buy one because you'll love it!" Most of the points you made are a matter of interpretation rather than fact. My interpretation is that the plastic does not by any stretch of the imagination look or feel 'cheap', moving parts that are fragile are to be expected because of scale, color is very pleasing to my eye and looks like the anime, posture in bike mode is adjustable because the figure is articulated, Armor mode doesn't seem unbalanced to me at all (I can get him to stand just fine), and saying this toy feels like a knockoff tells me you've had some pretty high quality knock-offs to compare to.

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, just offering a counterbalance to your claims. Not everyone is going to like this thing. Some people will love it, some will hate it, just like almost any toy. The fact of the matter is that it's a very small toy with a lot of moving parts and there is simply no way for something like that to not feel fragile, but that doesn't mean it's going to fall apart in your hands and it doesn't mean it's made cheaply. Hell, I've heard people say Yamato valkyries feel like cheap and fragile knock offs before. :)

I just hope for those of you that are hanging your hopes on the Megahouse that you aren't sorely disappointed. The Megahouse Ride Armor may have just as many reasons to be called 'fragile', 'cheap' and 'fiddly' as the CMs. Some of their past figures (like the Palm Action Orgroid figure) was called all of those things by many people.

Edited by eriku

I just hope for those of you that are hanging your hopes on the Megahouse that you aren't sorely disappointed. The Megahouse Ride Armor may have just as many reasons to be called 'fragile', 'cheap' and 'fiddly' as the CMs. Some of their past figures (like the Palm Action Orgroid figure) was called all of those things by many people.

I must repeat again, I've heard that alot of people found megahouses L-gaim stuff very unimpressive, pretty much describing it as boot quality toys as well. And all the promotional photos of that toy made it look awesome.

See, it's just as irresponsible to tell people "Stay away from the CM's" as it is to say "Go buy one because you'll love it!" Most of the points you made are a matter of interpretation rather than fact. My interpretation is that the plastic does not by any stretch of the imagination look or feel 'cheap', moving parts that are fragile are to be expected because of scale, color is very pleasing to my eye and looks like the anime, posture in bike mode is adjustable because the figure is articulated, Armor mode doesn't seem unbalanced to me at all (I can get him to stand just fine), and saying this toy feels like a knockoff tells me you've had some pretty high quality knock-offs to compare to.

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, just offering a counterbalance to your claims. Not everyone is going to like this thing. Some people will love it, some will hate it, just like almost any toy. The fact of the matter is that it's a very small toy with a lot of moving parts and there is simply no way for something like that to not feel fragile, but that doesn't mean it's going to fall apart in your hands and it doesn't mean it's made cheaply. Hell, I've heard people say Yamato valkyries feel like cheap and fragile knock offs before. :)

I'm confused... are you arguing that Shiyao's review is somehow invalid because it isnt the same as yours?

Isn't it assumed that all reviews are "a matter of interpretation" or do yours somehow transend this label?