Street Fighter 4

I kinda fail to see the point, when it looks so similar to the HD remake of SF2. "But it's 3D---that looks and plays 2D".

Maybe for animation purposes? Given the amount of moves and transitions between those moves, 3D animation was easier to make it cohesive and seemless?

Except that the technology exists now to have perfect seemless 2D animation done. I want a 2D fighter that looks just like freakin' anime, is that so wrong? SF III was very close on that path, and now this...

Except that the technology exists now to have perfect seemless 2D animation done. I want a 2D fighter that looks just like freakin' anime, is that so wrong? SF III was very close on that path, and now this...

then I don't know. Maybe they think they need to go 3d to stay relevent.

The lower have of Ryu in that first pic reminds me Hulk.

And I'm praying that the game doesn't actually feature that magazine artwork.

I've been keeping up on Guilty Gear too, but visually, it's still not surpassing SF III.

Visually Guilty Gear has surpassed any of the Street Fighter incarnations. Animation-wise SF3 is still king.

My dream/fan boy move list for Ryu:

normal moves:

• Basically everything stays the same, except for hp and standing close hk.

The hp has to be the straight punch again with good speed, range and priority.

I really hate the hook punch he received in 3S. The standing close hk should be

the classic 2 hitter. I don't know why they took this away from Ryu in 3S...

normal specials:
  • 2 hit overhead (f+mp)
  • Hop kick (f+mk)
  • NEW: 2 hit elbow that knocks down, sort of like in alpha when you pick X-ism (f+hp)
special moves:
  • Tatsumakisenpukyaku
  • Shoryuken
  • NEW: Get rid of the stupid Shakunetsu and instead have a 1 hit Hadouken that

is knockdown and push back like when Sean does his Hadou super

For the super super moves I'm a bit undecided.

My first choice would be to give Ryu only one super move:

• I call this move the "Shin Denjin Hadouken". A lighting fast 8 hit hadouken with

electrifying animation that takes a good chunk of health.

The alternative would be:
  • Standard 5 hit Shinkuu Hadouken
  • NEW: "Shin Shoryu Hadou". Ryu pulls of a heavy hitting shoryuken that katapults

the opponent straight up high in the air. Ryu then automatically does 3 hit super hadouken

that pushes the opponent back like the Sean super move.

As you can see I'm emphasizing the Hadouken, because that is Ryu's trademark move.

From magicbox :

- Capcom revealed some new details of the arcade fighting game Street Fighter IV:

The producer is Yoshinori Ono, who worked on Street Fighter Alpha, Street Fighter III and Capcom Fighting Revolution

.The game will have online modes

.The game will use toon-shaded graphics like in Street Fighter II

.The gameplay will be in 2D while graphics are in 3D, but the camera angle is fixed

.Capcom wants to bring as many characters back from Street Fighter II series as possible

.The story takes place between Street Fighter II Turbo and Street Fighter III

.The battle system will be more aggressive and focus more on attacking instead of defending

.A decision has not been made which platform the game will be on, the test version was build on PC

.Yoshinori Ono assumes the most suitable platforms to be PS2 or NDS

.Capcom is interested to bring the game to as many platforms as possible, no platform exclusivity

.The story takes place between Street Fighter II Turbo and Street Fighter III

That makes absolutely no sense, why is it called "IV" if it takes place before III? It would be as if The Phantom Menace was called Episode VII even though it precedes Episodes IV - VI. Sounds like Capcom of America is definitely at the helm of this release.

I kinda fail to see the point, when it looks so similar to the HD remake of SF2. "But it's 3D---that looks and plays 2D".

I would disagree that it looks 2D. I'm guessing they wanted the visual benefits of a more dynamic camera. At least, I'd assume they would take advantage of that somehow, and the screenshots I saw in EGM seem to point in that direction. I prefere the look of 2D sprites, however you're limited to that static side-on view at all times, unless you want to put in serious work animating sprites, and even then it the camera would only be able to move for brief, scripted segments. Actually, then you'd have to animate the background too, and unless the background were 3D that would just be too much work altogether.

I'm willing to wait and see if they make the best use of the medium to make the game look fantastic in motion. As it is, in static shots I'd rather see 2D sprites, especially nice hi-res sprites that look good in hi-def.

The gameplay will be in 2D while graphics are in 3D, but the camera angle is fixed

Somehow missed that. Well , I still expect little dynamic camera embellishments, like in replays or the slow motion end of the fight final hit.

Edited by Radd

The entire EGM article has been scanned and posted here.

In no surprise to anyone, the EGM writer displays his ignorance of the fighting genre several times. He describes "Ryu Dragon-Punching some cartoony half-octopus/half-nautilus monstrosity" (Shuma-Gorath) as a "misstep." IIRC, Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter was very popular for its time and Marvel vs Capcom 2 still enjoys a legendary status in the US. He also asks Yoshinori Ono about Final Fight, it's too bad Ono didn't even work on Final Fight. That'd be like asking Shoji Kawamori if Scott Bernard ever found Rick Hunter. <_<

• 3 weeks later...

Ken's looking a little creepy! :lol:

So far the videoes I've seen look a little choppy (probably due to all the traffic downloading them off of Game Videoes), but the action looks exciting. Still odd Capcom is calling it "IV" when it's set between II and III.

My main beefs are the concessions made "for western preferences", such as the huge, overmuscled characters. Other than that, the shading and such reminded me of the old, old SF2 sprites, before they made the sprites look more like low-res anime cels.I thought that was a neat touch. Also, as others have stated, the facial expressions and animations need serious work. Especially given how expressive Capcom's 2D fighting game sprites have been for such a long time now.

Other than that, it does appear as if there is some camera movement and embellishments, which make use of the 3D models, rather than having a flat, side on view at all times. I think this makes it look a lot nicer than just keeping the view to what you'd see in a 2D game and so not really taking any advantage of having 3D models.

On the other hand, I really would love to see some more high-quality, hi-def 2D fighters made using high-res sprites. The more I see of the Hi-Def remake of SF2, the more it appears it will not be as impressive as I'd hoped. A while ago I saw what appeared to be a high-res looking 2D fighter based on Fist of the North Star and I seem to recall that looking better. Maybe I'm misremembering though.

A while ago I saw what appeared to be a high-res looking 2D fighter based on Fist of the North Star and I seem to recall that looking better. Maybe I'm misremembering though.

That game was pretty good. You can see some screen shots here. My only complaint is that it needed more characters like Shuu and even Colonel. Heart dies in the span of an episode and he's in there, but no love for Colonel?

I gotta say, SF4 looks like the same game we've been getting all along. Where's the innovation?