Dragon Ball movie rescued from dev hell?

I think all these hollywood director's should be dragged out into a street and beaten b/c some artistic visions need to stay true to the original artists. I mean this looks like the biggest piece of poo since the first dragonball movie. I take that back, the first one will probably be better as it was funny as heck to watch...

It's... Dragonball. You guys are acting like it's some work of genius being pissed on by Americans.

It's a Hollywood adaption of a silly kids comic, people.

• 3 months later...

when I read the thread, came across people mentioning forbidden kingdom. I do hope that at least the movie will be more or less like it, which is a movie thats fun to watch, has simple and interesting storyline and has no fan-base (no matter how much I tried, I still couldnt accept this as the movie adaptation of dragonball & would just assume it to be just another movie with no fan-base, so that it wont affect my expectation)

Hope itll be fun to watch

This looks like the quality equivalent of the DOA movie.

DOA was good for what it was, fan service and actually decent enough fight choreography ...

but that's just it, it was all about the chicks, this DB movie needs to have a decent enough script to work...

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Looks like a fun action movie, just NOT a Dragonball movie. I think the horrible old Dragonball movie did a better job than this one at capturing the Dragonball feel.

When are movie makers going to learn that when you take on a movie about a massive existing franchise, you need to stick to the story as it was written. No major rewrites or character changes.

Edited by protostar8

I'd probably like this movie if it was called not-dragonball. I mean why bother basing it off something if you're not gonna use much from the source material?

B/c they know that just slapping "Dragonball" on it will draw in hordes of little kids expecting something that they won't get. But the movie makers won't care, they will already have their money by that point. It's sad really....

B/c they know that just slapping "Dragonball" on it will draw in hordes of little kids expecting something that they won't get. But the movie makers won't care, they will already have their money by that point. It's sad really....

I sorta remember the feeling of a "horde of little kids" when i watched Wing Commander. I hate you, Chris Roberts.

I sorta remember the feeling of a "horde of little kids" when i watched Wing Commander. I hate you, Chris Roberts.

Wait, there kids and people in Wing Commander Movie? All I remember from that movie is the Tigers Claw, Fraltha, and the dreadnought.... :huh:

I wonder in live action movie, what are the main character wishes when they summoned the big green thingy.

Edited by Morpheus

• 2 months later...

Yep exactly how I thought it would be. That is one of the best reviews I have ever read. Too bad the movie will tank so hard they won't be able to correct their mistakes with a sequel or even get to the Z franchise. Another one bites the dust.

My favorite line from the review...

None of the characters are compelling or interesting at all and they're all caught up in this big nonsense story that feels like it was written in crayon.

Thanks for posting. It's times like these when the movie reviews offer the entertainment the movie should have provided :)

Oooooo.....I want to watch it now. I love watching crap movie for being crap. Now let's see....T.O.R.R.E.N.....what? You thought I'd actually pay for this??

I say wait until the DVD comes out before you download...nothing makes a crappy movie even crappier than watching a bunch of featurettes with enthusiastic staff talking about how awesome a certain the sequence will be, and how the fans will just eat it up.

...except Troll 2. And Turkish Star Wars. And "Manos": The Hands of Fate.

Those are so bad to the point that they become ironically funny. battlefield earth is just utterly horrible to the point of being painful to watch.

Those are so bad to the point that they become ironically funny. battlefield earth is just utterly horrible to the point of being painful to watch.

True. I never made it past the fifteen-minute mark. I did know someone who saw in three times in the theater however. Even more bizarre, his last name ISN'T "Travolta." ^_^

True. I never made it past the fifteen-minute mark. I did know someone who saw in three times in the theater however. Even more bizarre, his last name ISN'T "Travolta." ^_^

his last name didn't happen to be "Cruise" would it?

his last name didn't happen to be "Cruise" would it?

No, he was one of the biggest anti-Scientology crusaders I'd ever met, but then he became quite the Battlefield Earth apologist. Rather strange, don't you think?

Anyway, Dragon Ball. Are they actually planning to release this to theaters, or is it going direct-to-DVD in the U.S. while they try to milk it in Europe and Asia?