Transformer Super Thread 6

Gasp! Dave I think you just hit on the truth behind Starscream. He is really an autobot agent in place to destabalize the decepticon power structure. Seems screamer is even more devious than any one ever realized! :lol:

Shame he's not devious enough to hide his machinations long enough for them to work. He'd be more effective if he ACTUALLY killed Megatron instead of just TRYING to.

Punch, on the other hand... was totally irrelevant to the US continuity.

(I always thought that was a neat concept. But I think it was gone from shelves by the time I found out it existed.)

And we still don't have a triple-changer that's good in all three modes. G1 Astrotrain's still the best of all, compromise-wise, followed by G1 Blitzwing. I'll put the new Octane/Tankor 3rd. His plane mode is just so incredibly disproportionate, regardless of having not much kibble besides around the rear stabs. He's got itty-bitty tailfins, itty-bitt engines, and HUGE nose and forward fuselage. It's like they took a 1/48 C-130, but used 1/72 wings and tail, and a 1/32 nose...

Of course, the original was a 2-engined 747, and without the chrome tanker and stickers, few would have called truck mode a truck... (I'm a big Octane fan, one of the very few airliner TF's---and he's a truck, too!)

And we still don't have a triple-changer that's good in all three modes. G1 Astrotrain's still the best of all, compromise-wise, followed by G1 Blitzwing. I'll put the new Octane/Tankor 3rd. His plane mode is just so incredibly disproportionate, regardless of having not much kibble besides around the rear stabs. He's got itty-bitty tailfins, itty-bitt engines, and HUGE nose and forward fuselage. It's like they took a 1/48 C-130, but used 1/72 wings and tail, and a 1/32 nose...

Of course, the original was a 2-engined 747, and without the chrome tanker and stickers, few would have called truck mode a truck... (I'm a big Octane fan, one of the very few airliner TF's---and he's a truck, too!)

It's to be expected. We demand poseable transforming robots first and foremost. It's pretty much a given that there's going to be sacrifices made to get that robot to transform into not one, but two alt modes. Like you've already pointed out, Octane (I refuse to call him Tankor) is already better than Classics Astrotrain.

Onslaught looks better than the magazine cover depicted. I'm content with Sunstreaker, and I really like Prowl. Honestly, the only one I'm a little disappointed with is Powerglide, and that's mostly because if someone didn't tell me that it was Powerglide, I'd have never known. And I swear the only reason they're including him is because they don't want all the Autobots to be Deluxe cars, even though I personally would rather have Jazz, Wheeljack, or Hound.

I'm guessing by now you've all seen the uncolored Classics 2.0 figures?

Looking at PowerGlide so far, I'd much prefer it at a smaller scale, not the ultra they have planned. It is nice that they have the signature aesthetics of his G1 design present though.

I really need to see Octane in colors so I can better see how well he hides his other modes from his current mode.

Prowl and Sunstreaker are what I had hoped/expected.

Onslaught still does nothing for me.

I'm a little disappointed with is Powerglide, and that's mostly because if someone didn't tell me that it was Powerglide, I'd have never known.

Gotta disagree, the shape of the head, the way the wings form his shoulders, I see lots of homages to the old toy in this new update.

Powerglide would have been better without the chin intakes on the side of his nose, and his engines closer to his vertical stabilizers. I'm itching for a G2 jetfire(Classics jetfire but with retooled canopy and nose section to be F-22/NATF-like, F-22/NATF vertical stabilizers, and G2 paint scheme. They can even repaint the sumbitch and call him Hooligan. I think one thing most of us wanted on that mold was a realistic nose and canopy. Those parts can be retooled.

I think Hasbro has been having legal problems with making an accurate A-10 lately, as they've had to genericise or add parts onto them to make them look less like the real thing. Normally, they do that anyway to any unlicensed vehicle based on a real world one, but it's much more noticeable on the A-10s. For example, the original sculpt for Cybertron Wing Saber featured a fairly accurate nose and canopy, with the major deviation being twin gattling guns. This was quickly changed to the one we got at retail.

Anybody know if the makers of the A-10 are especially litigious?

I think Hasbro has been having legal problems with making an accurate A-10 lately, as they've had to genericise or add parts onto them to make them look less like the real thing. Normally, they do that anyway to any unlicensed vehicle based on a real world one, but it's much more noticeable on the A-10s. For example, the original sculpt for Cybertron Wing Saber featured a fairly accurate nose and canopy, with the major deviation being twin gattling guns. This was quickly changed to the one we got at retail.

Anybody know if the makers of the A-10 are especially litigious?

Doubtful, Northrop Grumman is not that anal. The guys designing the toys may not know much about the A-10 aside a couple reference images they have. Cybertron Wing Saber may have had difficulty engineering his key gimmick with the original cockpit. For Powerglide, I think whatever looks off on vehicle mode was made as a compromise to make a better looking robot mode.

I LOVE the new Universe/Classics molds... Prowl is especially pimp.

Also got Encore Ironhide today... I've never owned this mold before, and I already love it. The van mode is great and clean, the battle-platform is awesome (gonna use it as a medi-bay for Ratchet) and the bot mode (head aside) is awesome. Immediately after getting it (I've been planning this since I preordered), I began making templates and starting some rough work for sculpting a head. I'm using the War Within style, with a real head behind the windshield (there is plenty of room for a proportionate head from my initial measurements.) I am sculpting two simultaneously, one as a prototype, and the other to make needed tweaks to, because my ultimate goal is to make a resin head kit, and offer it for sale either as a kit or finished (I will make a modified version for Ratchet as well, which has a head wing and no mohawk crest). I haven't posted this yet on the TFw site, bc/ frankly those guys are psychotic, and I don't want any pestering about it beforehand, seeing as I have no idea yet if it will work of when I'd be able to produce and sell kits (probably early summer due to school?) bu I figured if I posted this here, I could tak to some TF people, and some modeling people for pointers if I need them (I'll probably post the project once it progresses further on Sam-Monkey as well). I'm also making an adapter hilt for the gun so it can be carried like in the IDW-style designs, as adding a gun to this already surprisingly posable (in the arms anyway) fig adds alot to it overall, but I'm not sure this will be a castable par due to size constraints (I'm just doing it Barbie-doll acc. style where the handle wraps around the hand)

I love Prowl, besides the hood scoop on the front of the hood, he's almost a spot on replica of a 350Z and that's what I freakin hoped for. Course he better be Black and White with the words "Police Interceptor" on him or I'll be really crushed.

In terms of triple changers, I'd like to see something like a classics Springer done. He was always one of my favs.

Gotta disagree, the shape of the head, the way the wings form his shoulders, I see lots of homages to the old toy in this new update.

So I should give Hasbro a cookie because the head looks vaguely like Powerglide's, and his wings form his shoulders? Even though the rest of the robot really doesn't look anything like him?

So I should give Hasbro a cookie because the head looks vaguely like Powerglide's, and his wings form his shoulders? Even though the rest of the robot really doesn't look anything like him?

Yes you should. Go look at the cartoon art of power glide. He has a rather unimpressive, not particularly distinct red block for a chest, as well as not particularly distinct block legs. I have no problem with the fact they made his chest transformation a little more interesting. The most distinct thing about power glide is the shape of his head, which is there in this revisioning, and the wing shoulders. Course I do sympathize, if they noodled with prowl's signature look, like they did with the alternator version of him, I'd probably cry bloody murder too. This new classics prowl is the look I wanted for the BT/alt line.

The only one I'm disapointed with is onslaught. Other than having his name, and maybe the cannons on his back, I see nothing in the design that evokes the original character. But then again, I really don't care about onslaught. As a straight up transformer, regardless of the name, it looks really cool.

Edited by GobotFool

I think all the new classics look pretty good. The design of Prowl in particular really evokes the gee-won aesthetic, and reminds me of a simplified Alternator, which is a good thing. I'm still feeling relatively 'blah' towards Transformers in general, so I'm not sure if I'll be getting any of them. I guess I got burnt out on TF last year. I am eagerly looking forward to the animated Bulkhead I have on the way though.

The only pic that I've seen so far is the Sunstreaker one a couple pages back. And is it just me, or do they have his head and torso backwards? Compared to the drawn concept pics and the proto pics, it looks backwards.

And does anyone have any screen caps of the proto pics of the other Classics?

Sunstreaker IS backwards. He's a repaint of Sideswipe, with the torso turned around to look different. It sometimes happens that the repaint comes out before the original. Sideswipe will be how the mold is "supposed" to look and was originally designed, with the hood for the chest, etc.

Look closely at the fists, wrists, and forearm kibble--it can all be flipped 180 to make the arms look right if you turn the whole torso around at the waist joint. Sunstreaker is the "torso turned around to look different" version of Sideswipe. He's just coming out first for some reason.

Sunstreaker IS backwards. He's a repaint of Sideswipe, with the torso turned around to look different. It sometimes happens that the repaint comes out before the original. Sideswipe will be how the mold is "supposed" to look and was originally designed, with the hood for the chest, etc.

Look closely at the fists, wrists, and forearm kibble--it can all be flipped 180 to make the arms look right if you turn the whole torso around at the waist joint. Sunstreaker is the "torso turned around to look different" version of Sideswipe. He's just coming out first for some reason.

Ok ya, I can understand that. And I get it. But it doesn't match their concept art, which IMO looks better. So thankfully, I'll have the option of having him the way >I< want him. :lol:

Thanks for the prototype link. I think everything looks great. The first thing I thought when I saw Onslaught, was "Hey, that looks like the old Battlestar Galactica (80's) troop transport" Hehehe.

But overall, I love the classics line. Prowl looks awesome. Same with Powerglide. I just wants them NOW.

Wow, Octane looks awful in plane mode. I was stoked looking through Sunstreaker and Prowl's pics, but when I saw that craptacular looking plane, it almost put me off TFs for good. It's cool how Prowl's sculpt pays much homage to the the Datsun lineage-nice. As for Powerglide, he still looks stumpy in bot mode-I dig it. And his alt mode's proportions seem close to the old Cobra Rattler. Overall, I'm all in for Classics 2.0.

So... I finished the gun handle for my Encore Ironhide (just gotta finish painting it now) and I really am loving this fig... he's got great posable arms, and once he's got a head, he'll be one of the most fun '84 lineup... such great play-value withe the bot and battle-platform all in one package... I haven'd had this much fun with a tf since I started assembling my G1 Metroplex (my favorite G1 toy).

Yes you should. Go look at the cartoon art of power glide. He has a rather unimpressive, not particularly distinct red block for a chest, as well as not particularly distinct block legs. I have no problem with the fact they made his chest transformation a little more interesting. The most distinct thing about power glide is the shape of his head, which is there in this revisioning, and the wing shoulders. Course I do sympathize, if they noodled with prowl's signature look, like they did with the alternator version of him, I'd probably cry bloody murder too. This new classics prowl is the look I wanted for the BT/alt line.

I'm quite familiar with Powerglide's original appearance. Not only did I watch the cartoon constantly as a kid, Powerglide was one of the toys I had. Yes, he did have a very simple look... a very simple look that the new toy fails to capture, despite a cone head and wings on his shoulders. Slap Prime's head and smokestacks on a figure that otherwise looks nothing like Prime, and I'll complain about that one too.

It's moot. Classics are what got me back into Transformers, so I'll probably wind up buying all of them, with priority on the Deluxes.

Sunstreaker had better be able to have his body reversed, because that version looks like ass. Fatalist is right, the concept art looks way better than the prototype is shown. Onslaught looks awesome, he'll be the first on my list of figures to get. Prowl is great, and the rest I'm not really interested in, but I'll probably get them just to have the collection.

Quick Question:

Has the chrome on anyones Masterpiece Megatron changed color?

I took mine out of it's box to inspect (moving soon) and I noticed the chrome was tarnished. This piece has never been transformed and has not had that much display time.

i'll post some pics when the camera charges

Edited by Roy's Blues

I'm quite familiar with Powerglide's original appearance. Not only did I watch the cartoon constantly as a kid, Powerglide was one of the toys I had. Yes, he did have a very simple look... a very simple look that the new toy fails to capture, despite a cone head and wings on his shoulders. Slap Prime's head and smokestacks on a figure that otherwise looks nothing like Prime, and I'll complain about that one too.

It's moot. Classics are what got me back into Transformers, so I'll probably wind up buying all of them, with priority on the Deluxes.

Eh, I guess its a difference of opinion on what elements of the design are signature bits. To me the only unique thing about powerglide was his shoulders and head. They can noodle everything else to hell and I don't really care, as long as the cone head and wings that form the side of his body and shoulders are there I'd probably recognize it as powerglide. Prime has a very distinct body. the windows that form his pecs, and the grill that forms his abs. In some ways I'd argue thats even more unique than his head considering there are plenty of transformers out there with the whole sheild over the mouth thing going on. For me at least, if someone showed me that proto and said, guess who this is supposed to be! I'd probably would, without even the A10 pics, have said, "I sure hope your going to name that powerglide and not skylynx or some thing crazy like that." For me the only one of these toys that compleatly fails to capture anything about the original character is onslaught.

Edited by GobotFool

Sunstreaker looks perfectly fine. He has his roof chest, and what's wrong with that? Aside from his legs not forming the front of his car, he looks pretty much like he always has. Now if Hasbro hadn't given the option of having the roof chests, people would be talking about how cheap and lazy they are for not doing so, and would be figuring out ways to give him the roof chest.

I've honestly never painted with computer before. Here's my first try at good ole' Optimus:

prime_final.jpg

I know it's amateurish, but I had fun making it :p