The Dark Knight Thread

IPB Image

The Dark Knight

On July 18, 2008 (US), Warner Bros. will release the much-anticipated sequel to Batman Begins. Christopher Nolan (Memento, The Prestige) will once again take the director's chair on this film, with Christian Bale reprising his role as Bruce Wayne/Batman. Michael Caine, Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman also return as Alfred, Lt. James Gordon and Lucius Fox, respectively.

The villain for The Dark Knight will be The Joker, played by Heath Ledger, best known for his performance in the Oscar-nominated Brokeback Mountain. For Bruce's girlfriend Rachel Dawes, Maggie Gyllenhaal (Elizabeth in Donnie Darko) replaces Katie Holmes.

Also starring in the film are Aaron Eckhart (Nick in Thank You for Smoking) as Harvey Dent and Eric Roberts (Thompson in Heroes) as mafia leader Salvatore "The Boss" Maroni.

And so, we begin discussion on this upcoming film. What should we expect from it? And what are the latest developments on it?

Edited by areaseven

I am hoping that the Joker will be very dark, very violent, and have a very twisted sense of humor. :)

I am hoping Rachel Dawes will be killed off so we don't have to endure her through another film, and it can give Batman another reason to go "rawr" at criminals.

For now, I'm looking forward to this movie. :) Can't say I've been looking forward to a lot of movies. :p

Christopher Nolan (Memento, Equilibrium) will once again take the director's chair on this film

Christopher Nolan didn't direct Equilibrium, Kurt Wimmer did. (sorry to sound like a prick it's one of my fav movies ^_^ )

But, i'm really looking forward to this. I hope they make joker a homicidal maniac even before his transformation not just some failed comedian (like in the comic 'killing joke' i believe) But, i can't seem to see pretty-boy heath leager as a bad guy.

I know some of the film has been shot downtown(Chicago) already. From what I read in the local papers, they be leaving here soon to shoot in London and then back here to shoot more later this summer.

Hopefully the bums downtown won't get freaked out again..last time they attacked the Batmobile.. they thought it was an alien ship :p

I have high hopes for this movie, Begins is one of my all time favorite movies. A while ago I read an interview with Ledger where he talked about his take on the Joker or what made the Joker...the Joker. Don't remember exactly what he said but it was something like....to him it was all in the eyes. He acknowledged Nicholsons Joker as iconic but wanted to take a different approach to the character. I also remeber alot of nay-sayers to the idea of Ledger being the Joker where somewhat relieved when they read the interview. Personally, I think he'll do a great job.

Chris

I'm very glad to hear Ledger is taking the character in a new direction. Nicholson's Joker just would not fly in The Dark Knight, given the more dour and serious tone the new Batman films have, as set by Batman Begins. Nicholson's Joker worked because Burton's Batman was camp at heart, but The Dark Knight definitely needs something far more dangerously sinister. I've heard Nolan discuss many times his use of The Killing Joke as reference for the tone of his Batman films and I would die a happy man if Ledger adopted some elements of Moore's writing for the character of Napier/Joker.

Hopefully the bums downtown won't get freaked out again..last time they attacked the Batmobile.. they thought it was an alien ship

Talking of which... can't wait to see what the batmobile will look like, the 'evolution' so to speak or what the new gadgets will be.

Personally, i loved the 'tumbler' as much as i do the 'keaton-mobile'. Hope they do a mish-mash of an inbetween stage of these two... a man can dream can't he?

Edited by Kurisama

Talking of which... can't wait to see what the batmobile will look like, the 'evolution' so to speak or what the new gadgets will be.

Personally, i loved the 'tumbler' as much as i do the 'keaton-mobile'. Hope they do a mish-mash of an inbetween stage of these two... a man can dream can't he?

I can't wait to see the new Batcave too. (oh god i hope they don't call it that :o )

Here is the interview I was talking about:

In an interview with the Toronto Sun, Heath Ledger talked about his plans for the role of The Joker in the upcoming film THE DARK KNIGHT.

"It's definitely going to stump people," Ledger said. "I think it'll be more along the lines of how the Joker was meant to be in the comics, darker and more sinister."

Ledger continued on to say, "I wouldn't have thought of me, either. But it's obviously not going to be what Jack Nicholson did. It's going to be more nuanced and dark and more along the lines of a Clockwork Orange kind of feel. Which is, I think, what the comic book was after: less about his laugh and more about his eyes."

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Here is a portion of another interview, refering to Nicholson's Joker:

"I’m not going for the same thing he went for. That would be stupid. It is also two very different directors with different styles. Tim Burton did a more fantastical kind of thing and Chris Nolan is doing nitty gritty handheld realism."

Sounds good to me so far!

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Christopher Nolan didn't direct Equilibrium, Kurt Wimmer did. (sorry to sound like a prick it's one of my fav movies ^_^ )

But, i'm really looking forward to this. I hope they make joker a homicidal maniac even before his transformation not just some failed comedian (like in the comic 'killing joke' i believe) But, i can't seem to see pretty-boy heath leager as a bad guy.

The Killing Joke was the greatest Joker story EVER! BTW love the Densha Otoko Avi :lol: , (it's a Sea Turtle laying eggs :p )!

Edited by gerwalk25

I saw this on another board I lurk on.

I didn't "get" the tag line at first, and the picture didn't really do much for me.

But fans of The Long Halloween (especially the very last pages), prepare to wet thy pants.....Link.

I read in Wizard or somewhere about how they recently finished filming the destruction of the Tumbler in this movie, so I wonder if ol Bats will be acquiring a new vehicle for this movie or what. I really like Eckhart as Harvey Dent and I'm curious to see if it'll be green hair, white skin Joker throughout the film, or if we'll see a transformation (cold-blooded serial killer to homicidal maniac cold blooded serial killer). Also I would like some more detecting on Batman's part. Some new gadgets won't hurt either (just nothing too or convenient).

Also I would like some more detecting on Batman's part.

If there's one thing all of the Batman films have been severely lacking in, it's the whole Batman the Detective aspect.

Not sure how much of that side of Batman we'll see in this film, but I'd like to see it emphasized more somewhere down the line.

If there's one thing all of the Batman films have been severely lacking in, it's the whole Batman the Detective aspect.

I have to strongly agree with this point. As much as I liked Burton's Batman and even more so Nolan's Batman Begins, the lack of a complex crime story in any Batman film remains a very loud and legitimate criticism. Some of Batman's best stories in comic book format have been detective tales at their core. It would be really nice to see a downplayed Batman film which would be scripted much like a thriller with action/adventure elements rather than the traditional straight action/adventure film.

I read in Wizard or somewhere about how they recently finished filming the destruction of the Tumbler in this movie, so I wonder if ol Bats will be acquiring a new vehicle for this movie or what. I really like Eckhart as Harvey Dent and I'm curious to see if it'll be green hair, white skin Joker throughout the film, or if we'll see a transformation (cold-blooded serial killer to homicidal maniac cold blooded serial killer). Also I would like some more detecting on Batman's part. Some new gadgets won't hurt either (just nothing too or convenient).

I was wondering why people were expecting a new vehicle given that this will probably take place quite soon after Begins as the Joker was suggested to already be on the loose in the end scene. Can't believe I forgot the old destroy it and draft in a new one trick that has always worked so well for Gundam.

Pity, I like the Tumbler a lot, I'd love to be able to buy one to bomb around in off road. Street legal of course. :p

the tumbler dies in this one ? aww....

well, on the bright side, it's keeping to tradition by introducing a new Batmobile (possibly) :)

i wonder how much they're taking from 'Long halloween' & 'Killing joke'...

as for the detective part, they hinted at it in begins. remember, it's how he picked Gordon out from all the rotten eggs. hopefully, they'll throw in more detecting.

presumably, how would The Batman track Joker down? i feel it's an obligatory aspect for the new film :)

and then you wonder... with Dent now part of the film, how does this new franchise end.... ?

OK everybody, this is apparently what the Joker is going to look like:

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2007/JokerFinal.jpg

Definately a different direction but I like it, very........psycotic looking. Then again it is comming from AICN so this may not turn out to be true, but apparently it supposed to be real.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

NOT Joker (hands too small! :) )

I'll wait and see, but I'm tenatively calling childhood rape here. :D

Note - this is not "The Joker" from the upcoming film, but a picture of XE Matt I posted as a joke noticing the similarity between his Halloween makeup and the new Joker

post-7-1179697971_thumb.jpg

Edited by Max Jenius

OK everybody, this is apparently what the Joker is going to look like:

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2007/JokerFinal.jpg

Definately a different direction but I like it, very........psycotic looking. Then again it is comming from AICN so this may not turn out to be true, but apparently it supposed to be real.

Chris

I like it too. Looks like he fell into a bath of chemicals and tried to cover it up in a slighty sick way. In other words, realistic.