The Dark Knight Thread

Nice thanks for the pic.

As for the suit i gotta say I'm digging it. The one in Batman Begins was pretty top notch as well, but this one does a good job of "upgrading" it IMO. I just hope they explain all the intricacies of the new suit like they did for the original in Begins.

That is a really nice new suit, change of pace from the traditional comic look. Looks almost like a Robo-Cop clone if he didn't wear his cowl and cape.

The only thing I never got in the Batman films was he always wore black suits but his belt was always freaking yellow/gold for some reason. I thought he wa suppose to blend in the darkness, even in the comics they switched his belt to a brown color or black at times.

Criminal 1: Where's Batman? I hear he's dark and mysterious. He appears from nowhere!

Criminal 2: No he's not a ghost, look there he is in the alley, don't you see the glint of light from his gold plated belt buckle? He looks like a country rockster with that big ol' pimp belt of his.

Edited by baronv

That is a really nice new suit, change of pace from the traditional comic look. Looks almost like a Robo-Cop clone if he didn't wear his cowl and cape.

The only thing I never got in the Batman films was he always wore black suits but his belt was always freaking yellow/gold for some reason. I thought he wa suppose to blend in the darkness, even in the comics they switched his belt to a brown color or black at times.

Criminal 1: Where's Batman? I hear he's dark and mysterious. He appears from nowhere!

Criminal 2: No he's not a ghost, look there he is in the alley, don't you see the glint of light from his gold plated belt buckle? He looks like a country rockster with that big ol' pimp belt of his.

Yeah i never quite understood that. The only thing i can think of is they wanted it to be visually apparent when he was reaching for something on his utility belt, focus in on that, what he was getting from it and of course the fact that he was pulling it from his belt and not just out of thin air, since i don't think the Batsuit has any pockets, heh.

At least in that picture it looks like the colors are a little more subdued than they were in say the original Batman... it might just be the lighting though. :ph34r:

Edited by Veritas

He wants people to shoot him in the waist. He wears a lot of extra body armor down there.

:D

The current color and brightness of the utility belt in the Nolan films is hardly something that stands out all that much. The shade is so muted it would be difficult to distinguish in mixed lighting.

I remember in the Punisher comic books, Frank Castle once described why he wore a top with a big white skull on his vest. He said in the heat of action, an attacker will generally aim towards the most visible spot on any given target. In this way, should Castle draw fire in the middle of combat, he prefers to be shot in the chest where his bulletproof vest provides the most protection.

I always assumed that Batman used a similar ideology with his big yellow symbol.

The current color and brightness of the utility belt in the Nolan films is hardly something that stands out all that much. The shade is so muted it would be difficult to distinguish in mixed lighting.

I remember in the Punisher comic books, Frank Castle once described why he wore a top with a big white skull on his vest. He said in the heat of action, an attacker will generally aim towards the most visible spot on any given target. In this way, should Castle draw fire in the middle of combat, he prefers to be shot in the chest where his bulletproof vest provides the most protection.

I always assumed that Batman used a similar ideology with his big yellow symbol.

And why he makes robin dress in bright yellow, green and red.

I don't know for sure, but was that Punisher book written by Frank Miller? My joke about the color of the belt is based on a line from Batman: The Dark Knight Returns where he explains that the symbol is yellow so people shoot him in the chest where he wears a bullet proof vest instead of aiming for his head.

Can't say which came first off the top of my head, but I'd guess it's DKR...

And why he makes robin dress in bright yellow, green and red.

Hahahaha, brilliant :)

I don't know for sure, but was that Punisher book written by Frank Miller? My joke about the color of the belt is based on a line from Batman: The Dark Knight Returns where he explains that the symbol is yellow so people shoot him in the chest where he wears a bullet proof vest instead of aiming for his head.

Can't say which came first off the top of my head, but I'd guess it's DKR...

Given that so many super heroes have chest symbols, I assume someone invented the idea as a possible explanation and other writers adopted it. Whether or not Frank Miller was the first, I can't say for sure. I seem to recall this issue being covered in the old Punisher War Journal books, but I can't say for certain.

Edited by Mr March

It has been stated before that that is the reason why batman has yellow on his chest in the comics, as a target for people to shoot at.

That was just Frank Miller's brilliant reason after the fact though. But really we're just justifying comic book logic.

Batman didn't dress in all black until the last 20 years or so and even then in the comics, it's been only rarely. The only place he's been all black on a consistent basis has been the movies.

For most of his career (~40 years) it's been gray/black or gray/blue. And he didn't even have the yellow oval until the 1964.

I've known for years how they could make his head able to turn... maybe make the mask out of I dunno... FABRIC. :p They've been going nuts w/ those rubber suits for years though. . .

Overall it's meh to me. It will probably look better in the actual movie though... still it would be interesting to do something more basic with the suit.

Batcycle: Hmm... i like it. Overall, it looks like they're following the trend of making the vehicles at least somewhat more believable and practical considering the things Batman is probably going to need them to do, like with the Batmobile in the first movie.

Looking at just the pictures, that Batcycle seems almost comedic. It's odd to see Batman riding around in something that isn't armour plated.

You know i was thinking the same thing, but i guess in using the bat-cycle he's scarificing protection for speed. Granted that thing doesn't look like a speed demon, but that's the only semi-logical reason i could think of for it to have an open top... hmm, but it's not really aero dynamic with an open top either... eh... i guess we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by Veritas

If the Tumbler is even in this one. Im sure i heard he had a new Batmobile.

As for Robins costume, ive heard it explained in the same way as Spidermans suit; Its loud to draw fire to him and not to the people around him. Whether or not thats a good idea for a 14yr old is a different story. Also; u can dress in all yellow and still be pretty well hidden in shadows.

If the Tumbler is even in this one. Im sure i heard he had a new Batmobile.

I think both are true. I'm think it's possible the Tumbler is in it and gets destroyed and he gets a new car after that.

I agree it looks like an escape pod. I don't think it's a full time vehicle.

I think both are true. I'm think it's possible the Tumbler is in it and gets destroyed and he gets a new car after that.

I agree it looks like an escape pod. I don't think it's a full time vehicle.

My guess is like you guys, the cycle is an emergency vehicle. It sort of makes you wonder how they're going to top the tumbler.

Looking at just the pictures, that Batcycle seems almost comedic. It's odd to see Batman riding around in something that isn't armour plated.

it does have armor, he drives with his shoulders because there are armored shields he can swing around with his arms.